Planned Subway Service Changes

As a matter of fact, I take back what I said (my agreement with RtrainBlues)...Short turning trains isn't the answer. Yes, but neither is track work and lowering the headways the answer either. Why can't the (MTA) just save all of this track-work for overnights/weekends?

That would be the ideal, yes. From the various news reports that I've found, it claims that the reason for the service cuts is as follows: 

Yes, there is work happening on the N/B exp track (D4) that requires a 24/7 10mph speed restriction. I don't know what kind of work would require that 24/7 and not just overnights but perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in. 

Anyway, that means reduced capacity for E/F with some going via local (D2) which requires cutting service on local. 

For what it's worth, they did specifically time this cut to coincide with traditionally the lowest ridership of the year. 

That doesn't mean anyone is happy about it. Personally, I plan to avoid it entirely as it's an 11 minute walk from my house to the M/R and an 18 minute walk to the N/Q. 

Better to have a known extra 7 minutes than an unknown extra ???

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A.png 80 St Station Information 

Beginning 12:01 AM Tue, until Winter 2015/16 

The Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound platform at 80 St will be closed for renovation. 

Travel Alternatives 

For service to this station, take the A.png to 88 St and transfer to a 
Brooklyn-bound A.png

For service from this station, take the A.png to Grant Av and transfer to an 
Ozone Park/Far Rockaway-bound A.png

A.png 111 St Station information 

Beginning 12:01 AM Tue, until Winter 2015/16 

The Ozone Park-bound platform at 111 St will be closed for renovation. 

Travel Alternatives 

For service to this station, take the A.png to Lefferts Blvd and transfer to a 
Brooklyn-bound A.png

For service from this station, take the Q112 bus (days/evenings) or take the A.png to 104 St and transfer to an Ozone Park-bound A.png

I'm surprised they're not cutting the (C) back to 2nd Avenue and sending the (F) to Euclid while having the (G) run to Church Avenue by itself:

F.png No trains between Church Av and Stillwell Av 

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Sep 25 - 28

And this is probably when the R32's will show up on the (M), since the bulk of the 8-car R160s would be stuck on the IND side by default after dark stirthepot.gif
M.png Service ends early between Essex St and 71 Av
E.png F.png R.png trains provide alternate service 

Evenings, beginning 9:45 PM, Tue to Thu, Sep 8 - 10
Evenings, beginning 8 PM, Mon to Thu, Sep 14 - 17  •  Sep 21 - 24 

M.png service operates between Metropolitan Av and Essex St, then via the 
J.png to/from Chambers St.

I'm not making a complaint here, but does anyone know what work is being performed with the numerous (1) GO's?

In Lower Manhattan, its Courtlandt Street station work. They can only use work trains to bring materials in to rebuild Courtlandt Street station since the rest of the WTC site is basically rebuilt, work trains is the only way to get the construction materials down there.

To add on, as per the MTA, all the trackwork in the Cortlandt St area has to be completed by next June, because that's when rehab work in the Clark St tunnels will begin. 

On the bright side (if there is one) the (5) train could have a more prominent role if/when they do multiple weekend shutdowns like with the Cranberry tubes, instead of the useless/borderline non-existent role the (5) has now.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/planned_servChanges_1NotrainsRunning_0915.htm

No trains running

2.png3.pngA.pngC.png trains, free shuttle buses, 
the M3, and M100 buses
provide alternate service

Travel alternatives: 
bus_icon.gif Free shuttle buses operate in five segments.

• For South FerryRector St, and Cortlandt St, use free shuttle buses to/from 2.png3.png trains at 
    Chambers St.
  • For local stations between Chambers St and 96 St, take the 2.png3.png, making all local stops.
  • For stations between 96 St and 168 St, take free shuttle buses. Transfer between buses and trains at
    96 St 2.png3.png or 168 St a.pngc.png. Or, use nearby a.pngc.pngstations instead.
  • For 168 St, take the a.png or c.png
  • For 181 St and 191 St, take the M3 or free shuttle buses to/from a.png trains at 168 St.
  • For Dyckman St, use the M100 or free shuttle buses to/from the Dyckman St a.png station.
  • For 207 St, use the nearby 207 St a.png station.
  • For stations between 215 St and 242 St, take free shuttle buses to/from a.png trains at 207 St.
  • Transfer between 2.png3.png and a.pngc.png trains at 59 St-Columbus Circle

1 suspension i dont think i ever seen them fully suspend the 1 before

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/planned_servChanges_1NotrainsRunning_0915.htm

No trains running

2.png3.pngA.pngC.png trains, free shuttle buses,

the M3, and M100 buses

provide alternate service

Travel alternatives:

bus_icon.gifFree shuttle buses operate in five segments.

• For South Ferry, Rector St, and Cortlandt St, use free shuttle buses to/from 2.png3.png trains at

Chambers St.

• For local stations between Chambers St and 96 St, take the 2.png3.png, making all local stops.
  • For stations between 96 St and 168 St, take free shuttle buses. Transfer between buses and trains at

96 St 2.png3.png or 168 St a.pngc.png. Or, use nearby a.pngc.pngstations instead.

• For 168 St, take the a.png or c.png.
  • For 181 St and 191 St, take the M3 or free shuttle buses to/from a.png trains at 168 St.
  • For Dyckman St, use the M100 or free shuttle buses to/from the Dyckman St a.png station.
  • For 207 St, use the nearby 207 St a.png station.
  • For stations between 215 St and 242 St, take free shuttle buses to/from a.png trains at 207 St.
  • Transfer between 2.png3.png and a.pngc.png trains at 59 St-Columbus Circle

1 suspension i dont think i ever seen them fully suspend the 1 before

Yes they did. It happened for a few weekends in 2010

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, since the tracks to the montage tunnel are still OOS from Broad St, the (2) is being extended to New Lots AV and Flatbush AV at the same time while the (5) ends at Grand Central and the (4) ends at Brooklyn Bridge. And I really wanted to see the (J) to Propspect Park :(