Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I thought that was well received?

It was a mess to operate in the beginning because of no CR boards / stop markers for the R179 8-car (C) trains at the proper places along Concourse, temporarily restricting the service to R68s and R46s. But the route was also too long, infrequent, and local all the way, which Concourse Riders didn’t appreciate 

Pretty large Fastrack GO happening next week. 
(N): Coney to Court, Astoria Shuttle.

(Q): via 6th.

(R): via 6th until 11:45, to Atlantic overnight express.

(W): Ends early.

Collaterally, this is also happening:

(B): Ends early.

(7): Runs more frequently, probably from 20 overnight to 10.

On 10/7/2024 at 6:07 PM, Eric B said:

(A) to 96/2? 

(Heard about this one at work. Don't know when, and don't know the source, but I even heard they're programming this in. For switch work at 59th. Don't know what the other lines will do).

We have a winner!!!

On 10/7/2024 at 6:41 PM, Kamen Rider said:

… that’s got to be a lot of switch work if they’re pulling something like that out of their hat… 211As in service on the SAS…

Basically all the switches in the 59 area will be redone....

30 minutes ago, BlueArrowProductions said:

So if (A) on 6th to 96th, I'm assuming (D) on 8th? I can't see the (C) alone on 8th. This would basically be a (A) / (D) swap between 59th and West 4th. Or (A)(D) and (F) on 6th?

Nothing is running along Central Park West during the G.O and the (C) will be suspended 

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

So probably (A)(D) to 96 St-2 Av and the (Q) cut back to 57 St-7 Av (or Brooklyn), or extended to Ditmars Blvd, concurrent with a (7) closure

This is what I THINK might occur, NOT OFFICIAL as for now.
For the (D), I can see it being split in two sections:
1) Stillwell to Atlantic-Barclays or 34 St-Herald Sq via 4 Av Express/6 Av Express
2) 205 St to 161 St

For the (A), also two sections:
1) Far Rockaway/Lefferts to 96 St-2 Av via Fulton St Local/Rutgers/6 Av Local/63 St
2) 207 St to 168 St Shuttle

Edited by DaPr03

13 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

1) Stillwell to Atlantic-Barclays or 34 St-Herald Sq via 4 Av Express/6 Av Express
2) 205 St to 161 St

1) Far Rockaway/Lefferts to 96 St-2 Av via Fulton St Local/Rutgers/6 Av Local/63 St

They'll most likely make riders take the (1) for the stops in Upper Manhattan if they don't want to run a shuttle train or bus.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

9 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

They'll most likely make riders take the (1) for the stops in Upper Manhattan if they don't want to run a shuttle train or bus.

Yeah, I almost forgot about it while typing that out. Though, an A shuttle in that portion did happen so I added that in case transit plans to do that.

26 minutes ago, DaPr03 said:

Yeah, I almost forgot about it while typing that out. Though, an A shuttle in that portion did happen so I added that in case transit plans to do that.

True. It'll most likely be shuttle buses that are normally used when (A) Trains terminate at 168th (168-207 via Broadway and 168-190 via Ft Washington shuttles) and have riders take the (1) at 168 if they want to travel down south.

I suspect the (A) to 96 G.O. could happen around mid November, the (G) has a G.O. going on for two weekends in a row and it shows a transfer for the (A)(C) to Jay Street on the other, but for Nov 8-11, it only shows the (A).

On 10/10/2024 at 11:32 PM, DaPr03 said:

2) 205 St to 161 St

I could be wrong but maybe the (A)(D) shuttles from the north would be able to go to 125 St

37 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I could be wrong but maybe the (A)(D) shuttles from the north would be able to go to 125 St

yes... BUT that would require skipping 135 in one direction or the other. and even then, sure, trains may turn there, but they might not be in service. We can and will close stations yet still keep the tracks in service and relay via those stations. I've had at least one D job where service terminated at 161st and we had to run light up past 167 to relay. There are times the A turns at 168, but trains have to go up to 181 because the 174th yard leads are out coupled with whatever is preventing service from running to 207th.

In this circumstance... It is possible they could run to 145, discharge, run light into 125 to turn around, return to 145 and re-enter service there. 

That explains why the (1) has no scheduled work between 96th and 137th (express one direction), which is at least 1-2 weekends a month, as it would need to pick up the slack from the (A) and (D).

The MTA also noted more changes planned on this project in late December and January. Most likely the last weekend of December (28-29) between Christmas and New Year, to guess.

41 minutes ago, BlueArrowProductions said:

The MTA also noted more changes planned on this project in late December and January. Most likely the last weekend of December (28-29) between Christmas and New Year, to guess.

The late December is supposed to be a 24/7 G.O during the Christmas through New Year's Eve time frame (Not a shutdown G.O before anyone else asks) and the late night and weekend shutdowns will be back for multiple late nights and weekends in January. 

3 hours ago, BlueArrowProductions said:

What is a 24/7 GO? I know in recent years the 53rd Street Line had GOs in the same timeframe during late December.

Pretty self-explanatory ain't it? A G.O. that runs through a consecutive number of days without stopping. Think of the Crosstown CBTC project last summer when the (G) was suspended in three parts 24/7, and the upcoming shutdown for the (A) and Rock Park Shuttle next year between Howard Beach-JFK Airport and the Rockaways.

3 hours ago, AtroZ said:

Pretty self-explanatory ain't it? A G.O. that runs through a consecutive number of days without stopping. Think of the Crosstown CBTC project last summer when the (G) was suspended in three parts 24/7, and the upcoming shutdown for the (A) and Rock Park Shuttle next year between Howard Beach-JFK Airport and the Rockaways.

sometimes things might not seem as obvious as one might think. It took me till I was 32 to figure out pipe cleaners were meant for smoking pipes, not your plumbing.