Planned Subway Service Changes

48 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

During the weekend of July 19-22, (F) are rerouted to/from Jamaica Center on the (E) due to CBTC work on the Hillside Av Line:

Planned - Part Suspended

In Queens, no (F) between Briarwood and Jamaica-179 St

Jul 19 - 22, Fri 11:30 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

(F) runs between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Briarwood, and via the (E) to/from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer.

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between Kew Gardens-Union Tpke and Jamaica-179 St.

Transfer between (F) and free shuttle buses at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke  or Briarwood.

If you’re making another bus connection during your trip, please ask for a GO ticket from the station agent at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke.

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals along the Queens Blvd Line

At this point, I’d end the (F) at 71 Av, since Jamaica Center would be in continuous use every 6 minutes combined headway.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, PMac18 said:

The (6) can’t catch a break on weekends. There has been consistently reduced and modified service almost every weekend for the last couple months that is still continuing through the end of next month as it stands. They should have held off on touting the new “6 minute headways” when it only runs normal weekend service half the time.

The (5) runs every 20 minutes under these circumstances, even when the (4) is locked out of Brooklyn (like this weekend) or when the (2) also sees cuts (to every 12 minutes, which is already uncomfortably long). The (6) gets off comparatively easy.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

At this point, I’d end the (F) at 71 Av, since Jamaica Center would be in continuous use every 6 minutes combined headway.

It's a bit close, but that's within Jamaica Center's capacity.

58 minutes ago, Lex said:

The (5) runs every 20 minutes under these circumstances, even when the (4) is locked out of Brooklyn (like this weekend) or when the (2) also sees cuts (to every 12 minutes, which is already uncomfortably long). The (6) gets off comparatively easy.

True, it’s way too long. Should have clarified I’m referring to Bronx (6) customers, myself included, which get the 16 minute headways due the alternate trains also terminating at 3Av on weekends.

Their reasoning for the (5) cut always seems to say something like “because the (4)(5) and (6) are sharing a track in Manhattan.” Does it really cause that much a bottleneck on a weekend schedule?

6 minutes ago, PMac18 said:

True, it’s way too long. Should have clarified I’m referring to Bronx (6) customers, myself included, which get the 16 minute headways due the alternate trains also terminating at 3Av on weekends.

Their reasoning for the (5) cut always seems to say something like “because the (4)(5) and (6) are sharing a track in Manhattan.” Does it really cause that much a bottleneck on a weekend schedule?

In the early '80s the (5) ran every 10 minutes on Saturdays and every 12 minutes on Sundays when it ran it's full route from Dyre to Bowling Green.  That was a rarity for me. Track work, demolition and construction of Unionport and East 180th St. yard and the barns limited that. There were times that East 180th was the terminal but 149thSt-Grand Concourse gradually became the norm. Usually the backups happened upstairs at the Concourse because trains had to be cleaned out and relayed just north of the station. The middle track was always occupied by an " office train" where the (5) crews, supervision and switchmen were all located. In an emergency that train could be utilized to replace a n/b train that had a problem. When I worked the (5) we only shared the track with the (4) unless there was a problem on the local track. It never bothered me. My experience. Carry on.

18 hours ago, Lex said:

It's a bit close, but that's within Jamaica Center's capacity.

Ohh okay. I mention it because when the (N) has been sent up to 96 St-2 Av, it’s service frequency was cut to every 15 minutes because they didn’t want too many trains at 96 St, or when the (N)(Q) both were sent to Ditmars Blvd due to the (7) train GOs (both routes cut to 12 minute headways), so I thought it was a weekend terminal rule thing, where operations doesn’t want a high frequency terminal for the entirety of the weekend 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Astoria's layout results in lower capacity, given how far the train needs to go to clear the interlocking.

That part I understand, which is why the (N) can only run 15 TPH out of Ditmars Blvd during rush hours, but I was talking about why on weekends when supplemental Astoria service must be provided that they don’t provide more than 8 TPH (or use the express track at 39 Av to turn equipment around if they don’t want to send empty trains to Ditmars Blvd during (7) train GOs)

anyways my question just had to do with weekend terminal operations in general when a terminal has to provide service for a secondary line that normally doesn’t serve it - why it doesn’t operate as frequently as it could technically could in a weekday service operation? I thought it had to do with something besides not wanting to overload the switch and wear it out by using it that often for an extended period, or is it something else. 

examples

- (M) to 96 St (Q) Station during (L) train closures

- Now the (2) when it gets rerouted to Dyre Av, the (5) gets cut back, but in previous GOs, both the (2)(5) stayed on the Dyre Av branch when White Plains Road was closed

- during the Clark St closure, the (1)(2) shared south ferry terminal every 8 minutes each route (combined 4-min headway) but now when Clark St is closed, the (1) is cut from 6 mins to 8 mins and the (2) is cut from 8 mins to 12 minutes.

- countless others 

Edited by darkstar8983

- (M) to 96 St (Q) Station during (L) train closures

In addition to certain logistical issues (possible rolling stock availability, more certain crew availability), that (M) has to dive directly between the (F) and (Q).

- Now the (2) when it gets rerouted to Dyre Av, the (5) gets cut back, but in previous GOs, both the (2)(5) stayed on the Dyre Av branch when White Plains Road was closed

Not only is weekend (2) service more frequent than weekend (5) service, but short-turning the (5) on both ends saves money by reducing crew and rolling stock demands, even if it only seems slight.

- during the Clark St closure, the (1)(2) shared south ferry terminal every 8 minutes each route (combined 4-min headway) but now when Clark St is closed, the (1) is cut from 6 mins to 8 mins and the (2) is cut from 8 mins to 12 minutes.

Are you certain that's not happening in tandem with work that forces all trains (that includes (3) trains) to share a track somewhere?

48 minutes ago, Lex said:

In addition to certain logistical issues (possible rolling stock availability, more certain crew availability), that (M) has to dive directly between the (F) and (Q).

Not only is weekend (2) service more frequent than weekend (5) service, but short-turning the (5) on both ends saves money by reducing crew and rolling stock demands, even if it only seems slight.

Are you certain that's not happening in tandem with work that forces all trains (that includes (3) trains) to share a track somewhere?

1. For the (M) and the (2) to Dyre Av scenarios, thanks for clarifying :)

2. For the (2) to South Ferry comment  however, in those scenarios, the only GOs on 7 Av are:

(1) - normal service pattern but reduced service

(2) - reduced service frequency - East 180 St to 34 St Penn Station normal service, local south of 34 St via the (1) to south ferry and service from E180 St swapped with the (5) to Dyre Av

(5) - E180 St to Bowling Green normal service pattern, then extended to Flatbush via local in Brooklyn and service north of E180’St swapped with the (2) to Wakefield-241 St (service every 8 minutes)

So for three straight weekends, (1) Trains will terminate at 137th Street. The usual shuttle bus services will be in place for July 13-15, 20-22, and 27-29. At the same time, stairways at City College are being narrowed temporarily for those weekends to continue construction to place elevators in that station.

In Upper Manhattan and the Bronx, no (1) Trains between 137 St-City College and Van Cortlandt Park-242 St

Jul 13 - 15, Jul 20 - 22 and Jul 27 - 29, Sat 12:15 AM to Mon 5:00 AM

(1) runs between South Ferry and 137 St-City College, the last stop.

Free shuttle buses run along four routes making stops on the  line:

1. Broadway between 242 St‌ and 215 St, connecting with the (A) at Inwood-207 St

2. St Nicholas Av between 191 St and 168 St‌. Free transfers for M3 service.

3. Broadway between 168 St-Washington Hts and 137 St-City College.

4. Dyckman St between (1) and  (A) stations late nights only. Use M100 days/evenings.

Use  (A)(C) for service to/from nearby stations in Washington Heights.

Note: During this time, the (A) is running local in both directions between 168 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle

For 207 St, use the Bx12 bus via transfer at Inwood-207 St .

Transfer between  (1) and  (A)(C) at 59 St-Columbus Circle 

Transfer between  (1) and buses at 137 St-City College

Transfer between  (A)(C) and Shuttle buses at the 168 St-Washington Hts or 207 St (A) stations

(1)137 St-City College Station ongoing construction

Jul 13 - 15, Jul 20 - 22 and Jul 27 - 29, Sat 12:15 AM to Mon 5:00 AM

Because of ongoing construction at this station, the stairways have been temporarily narrowed as we work on making this station accessible.

More people will exit at this station because of planned work on the  line. Expect some crowding and follow the direction of MTA personnel.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:50 PM, darkstar8983 said:

I won’t be surprised if there’s a G.O that hasn’t been listed yet with the (E) being suspended or truncated.

On 6/21/2024 at 2:13 PM, PMac18 said:

The (6) can’t catch a break on weekends. There has been consistently reduced and modified service almost every weekend for the last couple months that is still continuing through the end of next month as it stands. They should have held off on touting the new “6 minute headways” when it only runs normal weekend service half the time.

Both the (1) and (6) on weekends should have remained 8 minutes. The (MTA) is gonna continue to do General Orders as well as flagging (the latter of which meaning work under traffic despite not being a full closure) during off peak hours for many more decades to come anyways.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:00 PM, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

During the weekend of July 19-22, (F) are rerouted to/from Jamaica Center on the (E) due to CBTC work on the Hillside Av Line:

Planned - Part Suspended

In Queens, no (F) between Briarwood and Jamaica-179 St

Jul 19 - 22, Fri 11:30 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

(F) runs between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Briarwood, and via the (E) to/from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer.

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service between Kew Gardens-Union Tpke and Jamaica-179 St.

Transfer between (F) and free shuttle buses at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke  or Briarwood.

If you’re making another bus connection during your trip, please ask for a GO ticket from the station agent at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke.

What's happening?

We're modernizing signals along the Queens Blvd Line

This GO has been removed from the site and will not happen apparently

• 3 weeks later...

Planned - Part Suspended

In Manhattan, no (A) between 59 St-Columbus Circle and Inwood-207 St

Aug 12 - 16, Mon to Fri, 11:30 PM to 5:00 AM

(A) runs between Queens and 59 St-Columbus Circle, the last stop.

Free shuttle buses run along two routes:

1. Between 168 St and 110 St, connecting with the (1) at Cathedral Pkwy (110 St)

2. Dyckman St between (1) and (A) stations

Note: No (D) service between 161 St-Yankee Stadium and 34 St-Herald Sq during this time.

What's happening?

Track maintenance

Planned - Part Suspended

No (D) between 34 St-Herald Sq, Manhattan and 161 St-Yankee Stadium, Bronx

Aug 12 - 16, Mon to Fri, 11:30 PM to 5:00 AM

(D) runs in two sections:

1. Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 34 St-Herald Sq

2. 161 St-Yankee Stadium and Norwood-205 St

Free shuttle buses provide service along two routes:

1. On St Nicholas Ave making (D) stops at 155 St145 St, and 125 St and connecting with the (1) at Cathedral Pkwy (110 St) or 168 St

2. Between 161 St-Yankee Stadium and 155 St

For service between Manhattan and the Bronx, take the (4).

Note: No (A) service between Inwood-207 St and 59 St-Columbus Circle during this time.

What's happening?

Track maintenance

This is rather interesting, well maybe not as interesting since this is happening during late night hours. I guess what makes this interesting is that they are completely suspending service for the (A) north of 59 St entirely rather than doing they they would normally do and have shuttle service run between Inwood-207 St to 168 St at least.

I would also say the (D) getting shafted to run to 34 St-Herald Square instead of going to 59 St, but considering there's no (A) service at all up north, I guess this is one way to compensate.

6 hours ago, Vulturious said:

This is rather interesting, well maybe not as interesting since this is happening during late night hours. I guess what makes this interesting is that they are completely suspending service for the (A) north of 59 St entirely rather than doing they they would normally do and have shuttle service run between Inwood-207 St to 168 St at least.

I would also say the (D) getting shafted to run to 34 St-Herald Square instead of going to 59 St, but considering there's no (A) service at all up north, I guess this is one way to compensate.

They have done this as Fastrack in the past several times. Only difference is the (D) ending at 34th Street instead of 59

• 4 weeks later...

The heck…? How can both of these be possible?

In Brooklyn, (D) runs local in both directions between DeKalb Av and 36 St

Aug 24 - 25, Sat and Sun, all day

Schedule reminder: Late night (D) service runs local in Brooklyn.

What's happening?

We're replacing tracks

In Brooklyn, Manhattan-bound (N) runs local from 59 St to DeKalb Av

Aug 24 - 25, Sat and Sun, all day

Schedule reminder: Late night ‌(N) also runs local between these stations.

What's happening?

We're replacing tracks

When I rode the (N) to Brooklyn yesterday, it was express along the entire stretch of 4 Avenue. What puzzled me was seeing the (D) across the platform on the local track at 36 Street.

What highly localized segments of track are they working on that the whole stretch of southbound express track is available along 4 Avenue but only the (D) can’t use it?

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

The heck…? How can both of these be possible?

When I rode the (N) to Brooklyn yesterday, it was express along the entire stretch of 4 Avenue. What puzzled me was seeing the (D) across the platform on the local track at 36 Street.

What highly localized segments of track are they working on that the whole stretch of southbound express track is available along 4 Avenue but only the (D) can’t use it?

Southbound (N)(R) trains are running express from Atlantic to 59th. The track layout forces anything running express from 36th to 59th to also run express from Atlantic and 36th, so presumably the actual work on the southbound local track is between 36th and 59th, and the (D) is just running local southbound to serve Union, 9th, Prospect and 25th. Northbound, presumably work is somewhere between 36th and Dekalb.

11 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

The track layout forces anything running express from 36th to 59th to also run express from Atlantic and 36th

I swear some parts of the system are in need of the Culver’s recent Kings Highway and Church Avenue treatment… Stretches of tunnel with nothing in between the tracks in a lot of places (presumably provisions for switches), and some of those places appear to be excellent replacements for the status quo.

So some interesting things are happening from September 27-30. On the MTA's website:

• Jamaica bound (J) train arrive on the (as the MTA states) express track at Essex St
  • The (L) is not running between 8 Av and Lorimer St at all
  • No changes to the (M)
  • The (Q) is not running between 96 St and Prospect Park at all

The reason why this is interesting is because there's no changes for the (M) at all as stated above. The (L) states the (M) as an alternative and the same for the (Q), but the (J) is getting tracks replaced. So there seems to be some miscommunication, either the (J) is not receiving track replacement or there is no extra service extending the (M) to 96 St at all.

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

So some interesting things are happening from September 27-30. On the MTA's website:

• Jamaica bound (J) train arrive on the (as the MTA states) express track at Essex St
  • The (L) is not running between 8 Av and Lorimer St at all
  • No changes to the (M)
  • The (Q) is not running between 96 St and Prospect Park at all

The reason why this is interesting is because there's no changes for the (M) at all as stated above. The (L) states the (M) as an alternative and the same for the (Q), but the (J) is getting tracks replaced. So there seems to be some miscommunication, either the (J) is not receiving track replacement or there is no extra service extending the (M) to 96 St at all.

I wonder if there is also work on the section of track the (M) used between Essex and Broadway-Lafayette.