R40 needs to become a museum train

MattTrain

R40 needs to go, and become museum cars.

I admire the uniqueness of the R40 and R40M cars. The 15 degree slanted ends that we have seen over the years first on the (F) and probably ending on the (:D. I have to admit that the R40 cars have outlived their usefulness and I sometimes feel like the R40 is going to break apart more often than usual. The interior is really rotting away and the exterior is falling apart. The R40 slants look so rusty now, that it looks like it really needs an overhaul. The R40 cars look like they have been fixed with duct tape. Is that how to repair old subway cars? To me, no. But I do agree that the R40 cars have to be retired but the way they are being retired are just not right.

Dumping the R40 cars in the ocean is just wrong. I would like to see all remaining R40 cars and all the other ones scheduled for retirement turned into nostalgia trains, and have their original schemes, just so I can see that big (F) on an end slant of the R40 again. The original blue interior, and the bigger windows on the doors. The (EXP) and (LOCAL) sign in the slant end of the R40, that was cool and unique.

If the R40, R40M, R32 and R38 cars have to be retired, make them museum trains, not reefs. No wonder there's such a fleet shortage today. The R160A delivery progress is slow.

If there's a farewell trip to the R40, it should make it's last official run on the (B) and (F), the line where it debuted. The (F) should be interesting for that one day of R40 cars, then we can officially say good bye to such a unique subway car, that has lived for 40 years. (1968-2008) R.I.P.

Its already been said that one pair is being saved for the museum.

EDIT: Wait you want to save ALL of the R32 to R42 fleets? The MTA doesn't have enough room to keep them all!!

And btw there isnt any B div car shortage.

I don't mean that the retired cars have to stay on track or the NYC Subway yard, they can be sent to railway museums in the city, and other railroad museum there is in New York State or the United States. It would be cool for other parts around NYC to see old NYC subway cars.

I admire the uniqueness of the R40 and R40M cars. The 15 degree slanted ends that we have seen over the years first on the (F) and probably ending on the (:D. I have to admit that the R40 cars have outlived their usefulness and I sometimes feel like the R40 is going to break apart more often than usual. The interior is really rotting away and the exterior is falling apart. The R40 slants look so rusty now, that it looks like it really needs an overhaul. The R40 cars look like they have been fixed with duct tape. Is that how to repair old subway cars? To me, no. But I do agree that the R40 cars have to be retired but the way they are being retired are just not right.

Dumping the R40 cars in the ocean is just wrong. I would like to see all remaining R40 cars and all the other ones scheduled for retirement turned into nostalgia trains, and have their original schemes, just so I can see that big (F) on an end slant of the R40 again. The original blue interior, and the bigger windows on the doors. The (EXP) and (LOCAL) sign in the slant end of the R40, that was cool and unique.

If the R40, R40M, R32 and R38 cars have to be retired, make them museum trains, not reefs. No wonder there's such a fleet shortage today. The R160A delivery progress is slow.

If there's a farewell trip to the R40, it should make it's last official run on the (B) and (F), the line where it debuted. The (F) should be interesting for that one day of R40 cars, then we can officially say good bye to such a unique subway car, that has lived for 40 years. (1968-2008) R.I.P.

So you want the R40 to look like this again?:

DSCN9623.jpg

DSCN9636.jpg

Zach

Get yourself some R40 Models, they are the way you like them lol

No thanks. It's OK. I am not much of a railroad model fan. I'm more of collecting maps. The idea of the R40 having the original scheme restored came from when the old IRT Redbird cars had their original paint scheme restored. I know that's not a lot, but it was cool.

I don't mean that the retired cars have to stay on track or the NYC Subway yard, they can be sent to railway museums in the city, and other railroad museum there is in New York State or the United States. It would be cool for other parts around NYC to see old NYC subway cars.

Oh ok got you sounds like a good idea!!

I appreciate the fact that you see that they need to be retired, and it hurts us all that they're going. But they can't be overhauled (it doesn't affect the carbody, which is the one weakening) to a good effect. I agree that at least two to four should be saved for the museum, but there isn't any space for anything other than that. I would dump the rest of the fleet into the ocean because that has its benefits too. If the (MTA) had money for once, we could scrap them and recycle that metal. Especially with the R32s.

R40 Slant was already sent to the Transit Museum. 4192-4193. They have it as a (N) train and the (:D on the other car.

R32 as well...3352-3, signed up as a (F)ox currently...if anyone goes to the TM today or tomorrow it will be there, no guarantees about Tuesday, they may have the Arnines back by then.

4192-93 is still there? I thought it was there for a temporary visit a while back.

It was a temporary display while the Arnines were out in holiday service, but I believe the pair has been added to the museum fleet, even though it's not on display. The pair had a lot of scratchitti on it, also, so it will probably need some work before it appears back in the museum again, if what I heaerd is correct.

4192-93 is still there? I thought it was there for a temporary visit a while back.

It was a temporary display while the Arnines were out in holiday service, but I believe the pair has been added to the museum fleet, even though it's not on display. The pair had a lot of scratchitti on it, also, so it will probably need some work before it appears back in the museum again, if what I heaerd is correct.

well i saw one of it there i think 4192 at the museum i went to yesterday.

Archived