Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Leave the B7 alone. You need the B7 service to supplement the new route created for JFK. Also, the route your proposing is not what I have in mind.

New JFK Route: Kings Hwy, Foster Avenue, Linden Boulevard direct to JFK. Return route. Linden Boulevard, Van Sideren, Foster, Kings Highway to East 16th Street. Perhaps an Limited Service. Service levels. 5 to 15 Mins during day. 20-30 mins at night (Local stops)

Now the question is if there really is demand for a 24/7 route between Midwood and JFK...

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the question is if there really is demand for a 24/7 route between Midwood and JFK...

I believe so. There are people that live in Midwood that work at JFK. However, the marketing has to be on point so that people can benefit from this. Also, gives relief to those that have to take the B6 into East New York, B82 into Canarsie/Starrett City and other underlying buses within East New York.

B15 is plagued with delays and that there is no short turns along that line. This particular line can run frequent, and most of the route is a straight route to and from the airport.

Edited by Future ENY OP

I believe so. There are people that live in Midwood that work at JFK. However, the marketing has to be on point so that people can benefit from this. Also, gives relief to those that have to take the B6 into East New York, B82 into Canarsie/Starrett City and other underlying buses within East New York.

B15 is plagued with delays and that there is no short turns along that line. This particular line can run frequent, and most of the route is a straight route to and from the airport.

I would call it the B80 and run it as a LTD-only route making the following stops:

On Quentin Road:

East 16th Street (B)(Q)

On Kings Highway:

Ocean Avenue (eastbound)

Nostrand Avenue

Ryder Street (eastbound)

East 38th Street (westbound)

Flatbush Avenue

Avenue J

Utica Avenue

On Avenue P:

Ocean Avenue (westbound)

On Foster Avenue:

Ralph Avenue

Remsen Avenue

Rockaway Avenue

East 105th Street (L)

On Linden Boulevard:

Williams Avenue

Pennsylvania Avenue

Van Siclen Avenue

Ashford Street

Fountain Avenue

Drew Street

79th Street

Then all B15 stops to/from JFK Airport

Edited by Q44SBS

Yup, that's the plan.

...and leave all those SC drivers with no work?

shameless plug: Have the B100 extended to Caesars Bay shopping center, concurrent with the reversion of the B50, and the loss of work wouldn't be as bad.....

They can always add service on the express routes  :rolleyes:

All in seriousness, if they were to do that, BO's from Spring Creek would be transferred over to that depot (as well as from other depots because they would have too many operators). 

I would call it the B80 and run it as a LTD-only route making the following stops:

On Quentin Road:

East 16th Street (B)(Q)

On Kings Highway:

Ocean Avenue (eastbound)

Nostrand Avenue

Ryder Street (eastbound)

East 38th Street (westbound)

Flatbush Avenue

Avenue J

Utica Avenue

On Avenue P:

Ocean Avenue (westbound)

On Foster Avenue:

Ralph Avenue

Remsen Avenue

Rockaway Avenue

East 105th Street (L)

On Linden Boulevard:

Williams Avenue

Pennsylvania Avenue

Van Siclen Avenue

Ashford Street

Fountain Avenue

Drew Street

79th Street

Then all B15 stops to/from JFK Airport

I like the routing. Just only a few changes.

I'm a bit concerned about putting a Ryder Street stop.

Skip Avenue J. Straight shot. Flatbush than Utica.

Than off to Foster.

Skip Williams Avenue. Those folks could walk up to East 105th

Penn, Van Siclen, Ashford, Fountain, Drew, 79th and JFK stops are all good to me.

Westbound stops are excellent. No changes to be made.

They can always add service on the express routes :rolleyes:

All in seriousness, if they were to do that, BO's from Spring Creek would be transferred over to that depot (as well as from other depots because they would have too many operators).

Leave Spring Creek Depot alone. Bad enough Spring Creek is NOT a Brooklyn Division depot, but a QUEENS division operating Brooklyn bus routes. SMDH. This proposal is for MTA-NYCT only.

Bad enough the MTA pulled the plug of having the Q7 or Q8 operating out of Spring Creek, and they have enough space to operate 2 to 3 extra bus lines within the Queens Division.

Leave Spring Creek Depot alone. Bad enough Spring Creek is NOT a Brooklyn Division depot, but a QUEENS division operating Brooklyn bus routes. SMDH. This proposal is for MTA-NYCT only.

Bad enough the MTA pulled the plug of having the Q7 or Q8 operating out of Spring Creek, and they have enough space to operate 2 to 3 extra bus lines within the Queens Division.

I was just posting a hypothetical scenario, I don't know why you're all up on me for.

Spring Creek Depot is a Queens division depot, but the depot is in Brooklyn, it was formerly a Brooklyn division depot, most of their routes don't even operate in Queens, and the DH's on some routes are closer to other Brooklyn Division Depots. Are we going to say the same thing about KB,GA, FP, and any other depot with routes from more than one borough? Just look at how many routes are in a depot of a different division than their respective borough designation. 

And yes, I do know that there's a difference between MTA Bus and MTA NYCT, and that's why merges like this can't happen and a couple of other ones that would save money in DH costs, and/or provide more reliable service. Different unions (and even branches) are another obstacle, but you still have the same issue. That's why you can't just switch the Q7 and Q8 to SC tomorrow.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I was just posting a hypothetical scenario, I don't know why you're all up on me for.

Spring Creek Depot is a Queens division depot, but the depot is in Brooklyn, it was formerly a Brooklyn division depot, most of their routes don't even operate in Queens, and the DH's on some routes are closer to other Brooklyn Division Depots. Are we going to say the same thing about KB? Just look at how many routes are in a depot of a different division than their respective borough designation.

And yes, I do know that there's a difference between MTA Bus and MTA NYCT, and that's why merges like this can't happen and a couple of other ones that would save money in DH costs, and/or provide more reliable service. Different unions (and even branches) are another obstacle, but you still have the same issue. That's why you can't just switch the Q7 and Q8 to SC tomorrow.

I wish we never had labor unions in NYC...

Why do you wish that?

Because labor unions have destroyed this country's image rather than improving it. Why are US airlines so bad? Because of unions. Why can't public transportation have more flexibility in terms of improving service? Because of unions. Why do we have strikes disrupting business and costing companies lots of money? Because of unions. Why have Detroit's automakers built shoddy cars in the past and then collapsed? Because of unions.

Improving mass transportation should always be a top priority, but if unions are going to prevent implementing what could otherwise be beneficial changes to current levels of service, then they don't belong in this country--PERIOD. America would've been better off without labor unions in the first place...

Because labor unions have destroyed this country's image rather than improving it. Why are US airlines so bad? Because of unions. Why can't public transportation have more flexibility in terms of improving service? Because of unions. Why do we have strikes disrupting business and costing companies lots of money? Because of unions. Why have Detroit's automakers built shoddy cars in the past and then collapsed? Because of unions.

Improving mass transportation should always be a top priority, but if unions are going to prevent implementing what could otherwise be beneficial changes to current levels of service, then they don't belong in this country--PERIOD. America would've been better off without labor unions in the first place...

This is ridiculous...

Spring Creek Depot is a Queens division depot, but the depot is in Brooklyn, it was formerly a Brooklyn division depot, most of their routes don't even operate in Queens, and the DH's on some routes are closer to other Brooklyn Division Depots. Are we going to say the same thing about KB,GA, FP, and any other depot with routes from more than one borough? Just look at how many routes are in a depot of a different division than their respective borough designation.

The 103 would not be an ideal candidate simply of the location of the depot. However, due to the climate of the labor unions of this great city. Stuff like this can't happen. I know how the reliability of service for the 103 if sent to Foster Avenue.

Also, there are some MTABUS routes that would do great at MTANYCT depots. However, again it boils down to TWU and ATU.

That's ridiculous. I will tell you right now. I'm a proud Teamster and AFL-CIO member. 10+ years strong. Unions have done very good. Fair wages, workers rights and etc are always essential to its members.

Sure there is. Other than the obvious Drew St, there's the Lefferts Blvd AirTran station, and Pennsylvania Av on occasion.

Sure there is. Other than the obvious Drew St, there's the Lefferts Blvd AirTran station, and Pennsylvania Av on occasion.

Where do most B15 riders to the airport originate? Are there any who ride the entire route to the (J)(M) trains at Flushing Avenue? Edited by Q44SBS

Where do most B15 riders to the airport originate? Are there any who ride the entire route to the (J)(M) trains at Flushing Avenue?

That's just suicide. On a good day, the line end to end is about 90 minutes. You're better off taking the (L) or the (3) to New Lots and catching it from there.

From what I observed over the years (I live along the line), the major turnover points are the train stations mentioned above, Church Av (that's a heavy one there), Pennsylvania Av (the 20/83 crowds), and along Linden Blvd.

It's pretty rare those are used. Definitely know about Drew Street. But no short turns on the other end of the route?

Unfortunately none. The AirTran short turn I've seen used quite often, and there's even a code for it that says "AIRTRAN STA"

Unions can be negotiated with. Take some of the deadhead savings and reinvest it into some more runs (whether it's more frequent service on routes that need it, or restructuring of routes to be more beneficial overall) and it's a win-win for everybody.

Before you go badmouthing the unions, learn a little about their history and all the good they caused. You gave no idea how much more management would exploit its workers if not for unions. Before Mike Quill, those running the subways believed that safety was entirely the workers responsibility. If a track worker was killed it was because he was careless. And many were killed. The work environment is much safer today because of unions. All the safety gear used and now required for transit workers is all due to the unions. All those no clearance signs are there because of the unions. Yes, done work ruins need to be changed and some times unions can feel an obstacle, but the good they have done fa outweighs the bad. If not for the unions, management could just fire you at their will because they didn't like the way you looked. We have due process and hearings all because of unions.

Said this as many times before, the B15 needs a WB short turn other than the very rare one that exists b/w JFK & Penn.... Even if those were more common, that's not far enough west.... Too many trips from [JFK or Drew] run all the way to Woodhull & it isn't necessary.... Any problems that could be rectified with the route IMO is stymied because of this....

Said this as many times before, the B15 needs a WB short turn other than the very rare one that exists b/w JFK & Penn.... Even if those were more common, that's not far enough west.... Too many trips from [JFK or Drew] run all the way to Woodhull & it isn't necessary.... Any problems that could be rectified with the route IMO is stymied because of this....

They could probably have short turn either near Ralph Av and East NY Avs or St. John Pl.

I think splitting a portion of the B15 into its own route could help... Edited by Q44SBS

Can someone start a petition to have a B15 short turn at Sutter Av-Rutland Rd (3) Sta?

Honestly I think this is a great idea that has been floating around for the longest and I can agree the Penns Av short turns do little for the Passengers has there purpose is most beneficial to the operates going back to to ENY depot. These short turns can start their return trips at Ralph and ENY Avs.

B80 LTD - Midwood to JFK via Kings Highway, Foster Avenue, and Linden Boulevard

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qcKmOLc0lY-DctyIrmw-lg4CwJ8&usp=sharing

Good work Q44. The mapping for this is correct.

Now the real job is the marketing portion for this.

This could definitely sell good. Especially for Canarsie, East New York and Midwood riders seeking alternatives.

Can someone start a petition to have a B15 short turn at Sutter Av-Rutland Rd (3) Sta?

Honestly I think this is a great idea that has been floating around for the longest and I can agree the Penns Av short turns do little for the Passengers has there purpose is most beneficial to the operates going back to to ENY depot. These short turns can start their return trips at Ralph and ENY Avs.

I totally agree.