Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the B44 leaving FB. [NOT HAPPENING at all].

Where do you send the B64 and B36?

East NY already at cap room. You need a good amount of buses for the B8.

B2 and B31. Leave alone. Extend. Yes. Keep at current depot. FB

In plain English. South Brooklyn is a mess when it comes to the configuration of bus routes. Even with Grand Avenue on the north side. I believe there needs to be a possible 7th depot in Brooklyn to keep up demand. Unless the whole Brooklyn bus grid is reconfigured. No need to swap routes. Leave as is.

Where would you put this 7 depot? For some reason, I think Queens could use another depot. Just can't think where

During rush hour, the current B31 looks like it requires around 5-6 buses. An extension to Bay Ridge would be around 40 minutes or so, so if you want 10 minute headways (like you do at the peak of the PM rush), you would need around 8-9 extra buses or so. So around 15 total.

Would it be fine to run the extended route with the B31's current headways, or would it be better to run buses more frequently?

Where would you put this 7 depot? For some reason, I think Queens could use another depot. Just can't think where

For the Queens depot: If the MTA caught it in time.. The UPS Facility on Springfield and Merrick would of been a good candidate

For Brooklyn on the other hand.

1) perhaps by Floyd Bennett Field.

2) Canarsie- Foster Avenue between E.99th-E.104th.

Next to UPS Canarsie.

Those are the 2 that popped over my head.

Would it be fine to run the extended route with the B31's current headways, or would it be better to run buses more frequently?

I think the current B31's headways would be sufficient. I mean, the route overall isn't too far from the B9, which generally runs every 10-12 minutes throughout the day. The B31 doesn't have any real ridership generator on the eastern end (granted, a decent amount of people would probably be riding west from the (B)(Q), but likely not much more than the current B9), so ridership should be lower overall. 

I think the current B31's headways would be sufficient. I mean, the route overall isn't too far from the B9, which generally runs every 10-12 minutes throughout the day. The B31 doesn't have any real ridership generator on the eastern end (granted, a decent amount of people would probably be riding west from the (B)(Q), but likely not much more than the current B9), so ridership should be lower overall.

My plan calls for the extension to run via Bay Ridge Avenue (eastbound) and 70th Street (westbound), so it actually lies closer to the B4 than the B9.

For the Queens depot: If the MTA caught it in time.. The UPS Facility on Springfield and Merrick would of been a good candidate

Next to UPS Canarsie.

Floyd Bennett Field? Probably the KP routes and the Q35 would go there

Canarsie? It's 99 to 105 by the (L). Maybe the routes that serve Rockaway Pkwy Station

It's because all of central Brooklyn is dotted with residential units leaving no room for a new depot...

Not unbeknownst to me - I live in this part of the borough.

What's considered central Brooklyn? Crown Hts?

The common consensus is anywhere b/w Midwood & Crown Heights.... I think Midwood is a little too far south, but w/e.....

Next to UPS Canarsie.

Floyd Bennett Field? Probably the KP routes and the Q35 would go there

Canarsie? It's 99 to 105 by the (L). Maybe the routes that serve Rockaway Pkwy Station

In Canarsie on the w/s/o Bank St btn Foster & Ave D there are two bldgs. The southern most bldg (Bldg Two) is where TP Transportation Access-A-Ride used to house their vehicles until they went OOB. Seems like a good location. Linden Blvd is to the north, Pennsylvania Ave is to the east, Rockaway Ave/Pkwy is to the west, Flatlands Av is south.

TBQR2l.jpg

Edited by TeeLow

In Canarsie on the w/s/o Bank St btn Foster & Ave D there are two bldgs. The southern most bldg (Bldg Two) is where TP Transportation Access-A-Ride used to house their vehicles until they went OOB. Seems like a good location. Linden Blvd is to the north, Pennsylvania Ave is to the east, Rockaway Ave/Pkwy is to the west, Flatlands Av is south.

TBQR2l.jpg

That is correct. Canarsie is a perfect location to possibly build the next bus depot. At least an Annex like Meredith Avenue out in Staten Island.

I was thinking Canarsie Industrial Park. Along Foster Avenue from East 99th-East 105th. Get rid of the UPS facility or Louis Shiffman and build around that.

Other side of the L train station/Breukelen houses..... Had a friend of an (old) friend that worked there (the ups customer facility).

Yeah, it does seem like it'd be a prime location for a depot.....

What routes would you shift over (from other depots obviously) if a depot of sorts existed?

I can tell you right now that I'd take the B47 & the B60 out of Grand without hesitation....

Other side of the L train station/Breukelen houses..... Had a friend of an (old) friend that worked there (the ups customer facility).

Yeah, it does seem like it'd be a prime location for a depot.....

What routes would you shift over (from other depots obviously) if a depot of sorts existed?

I can tell you right now that I'd take the B47 & the B60 out of Grand without hesitation....

In full agreement with the B47, B60 from Grand Avenue.

Also, I'd send the B42, B17, B8, B45, B65, B84, B7 + create 3 new bus lines. 1 for JFK service to supplement the B15.

Another bus line to travel between Canarsie and South Brooklyn via Foster Avenue and Kings Hwy that goes directly to the depot.

Last one for Pitkin Avenue/Sheridan/Grant/Euclid to Canarsie.

Basically enough space for East NY to accept Artics for the B15 and B82. (By moving the B42, B17, B45, B65, B84)

Move the B7 from Fresh Pond. That has no business being in South Brooklyn. When they did the realignment. That bus should of went back home to Flatbush.

Capacity: To hold at least 270 buses with the forementioned routes proposed.

Edited by Future ENY OP

In full agreement with the B47, B60 from Grand Avenue.

Also, I'd send the B42, B17, B8, B45, B65, B84, B7 + create 3 new bus lines. 1 for JFK service to supplement the B15.

Another bus line to travel between Canarsie and South Brooklyn via Foster Avenue and Kings Hwy that goes directly to the depot.

Last one for Pitkin Avenue/Sheridan/Grant/Euclid to Canarsie.

Basically enough space for East NY to accept Artics for the B15 and B82. (By moving the B42, B17, B45, B65, B84)

Move the B7 from Fresh Pond. That has no business being in South Brooklyn. When they did the realignment. That bus should of went back home to Flatbush.

Capacity: To hold at least 270 buses with the forementioned routes proposed.

For the Canarsie-JFK route, I proposed a route through that neighborhood from Bay Ridge not long ago. However, I scrapped it after doubts about traffic issues plaguing all of southern Brooklyn's main east-west arteries. If there should be a route between Canarsie and JFK, what streets do you think should it use? I would do route it between Midwood and JFK to give it broader coverage, using the following streets:

Via B15 routing between JFK and Fountain Avenue, then south on Fountain Avenue to Flatlands Avenue, Rockaway Parkway, Foster Avenue, and Kings Highway to Quentin Road and Coney Island Avenue (current part-time B7 terminal).

To make room for this new bus, I would cut back the B7 to Flatlands Avenue at all times (it would no longer provide a connection to the (B)(Q) trains on the Brighton Line).

To make room for this new bus, I would cut back the B7 to Flatlands Avenue at all times (it would no longer provide a connection to the (B)(Q) trains on the Brighton Line).

I have the B7 running to the paerdegats (to replace the B17 paerdegat branch).... This (and the would-be shift to his fictional Canarsie depot) would help B17 service immensely.... Win-win for both routes.

Running the B7 full time to Flatbush doesn't serve much of a purpose.... It currently being supplemental to the B82 is the reason it doesn't carry air south of Church....

Edited by B35 via Church

For some reason I have the B103 going to this Canarsie Depot

B103 is an MTA Bus Division route out of Spring Creek. The visionary Canarsie Depot would move some NYCT routes from the ENY (and possibly a couple from FP & GA) depot to Canarsie.

....The visionary Canarsie Depot would move some NYCT routes from the ENY (and possibly a couple from FP & GA) depot to Canarsie.

Yup, that's the plan.

...and leave all those SC drivers with no work?

shameless plug: Have the B100 extended to Caesars Bay shopping center, concurrent with the reversion of the B50, and the loss of work wouldn't be as bad.....

In full disagreement on that. Not only that MTA bus-Spring Creek is not TWU 100 so definitely that switch would get rejected immediately.

Also, B103 is not in close proximity to the proposed new depot.

What I forgot to mention earlier today that possibly the B20 can possibly make the switch to the Canarsie Depot.

UPDATE: The proposed routes to be sent to Canarsie.

B42, B17, B7, B8, B45, B65, B20, B84, B47, B60

For the Canarsie-JFK route, I proposed a route through that neighborhood from Bay Ridge not long ago. However, I scrapped it after doubts about traffic issues plaguing all of southern Brooklyn's main east-west arteries. If there should be a route between Canarsie and JFK, what streets do you think should it use? I would do route it between Midwood and JFK to give it broader coverage, using the following streets:

Via B15 routing between JFK and Fountain Avenue, then south on Fountain Avenue to Flatlands Avenue, Rockaway Parkway, Foster Avenue, and Kings Highway to Quentin Road and Coney Island Avenue (current part-time B7 terminal).

Leave the B7 alone. You need the B7 service to supplement the new route created for JFK. Also, the route your proposing is not what I have in mind.

New JFK Route: Kings Hwy, Foster Avenue, Linden Boulevard direct to JFK. Return route. Linden Boulevard, Van Sideren, Foster, Kings Highway to East 16th Street. Perhaps an Limited Service. Service levels. 5 to 15 Mins during day. 20-30 mins at night (Local stops)