Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look on a B15 bus stop route map and at the very top you'll see this:

<<Travel Time Approximately 118 Minutes From Bedford-Stuyvesant to JFK Airport>>

Sounds like an unbearably long journey, doesn't it?

Even if I take that bloated number for face value (no way a typical B15 trip from end to end is ~ 2 hours), for the rare passenger(s) on the B15 that are riding the full route, yes...

Be there as it may, long runtimes isn't an automatic sign that a route needs to be split in any capacity....

It's the same cheap argument that used to be used on these forums regarding long distanced routes & LTD service...

I think splitting a portion of the B15 into its own route could help...

What exactly do you mean by this??

If I'm to take this as worded, then what would be the other "portion" of the B15 that would be left alone?

How does this sound:

B10: Woodhull Hospital - Linden/Drew

B15: JFK Airport - Sutter/Rutland

Headway-wise, let's say the current B15 runs every 7-10 minutes throughout the day. So the new B15 would run every 10-12 minutes, and the B10 would run every 12-20 minutes. (From what people are saying, it seems like the Bed-Stuy portion gets lower ridership, but does it really warrant the relatively lower-ridership B45/65 levels of service? I mean, the B43 isn't particularly frequent in that area either)

I remember a while back, we were discussing restructuring the B20/83/84, so that the B20 helps the B15 out between the (3) and the Lefferts AirTrain station. Not sure if it would be overkill to have the B10/15/20 (I like those increments of 5 lol) all running between the New Lots (3) station and the Pink/Cypress Hills Houses (even if the B10/15 combined aren't that much more frequent than the present-day B15).

Where are most B15 Bed-Stuy riders off the bus by? Do a lot of them ride out to ENY, or are most of them off the bus by say, Brookdale?

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Because labor unions have destroyed this country's image rather than improving it. Why are US airlines so bad? Because of unions. Why can't public transportation have more flexibility in terms of improving service? Because of unions. Why do we have strikes disrupting business and costing companies lots of money? Because of unions. Why have Detroit's automakers built shoddy cars in the past and then collapsed? Because of unions.

Improving mass transportation should always be a top priority, but if unions are going to prevent implementing what could otherwise be beneficial changes to current levels of service, then they don't belong in this country--PERIOD. America would've been better off without labor unions in the first place...

I hope you were just being sarcastic or blowing off steam. Are you a descendant of a family who prospered because of hard work or an heir to a family fortune ? I ask this to see where you get this hatred toward unions and union workers. You do realize unionization was largely a result of businesses unsafe operations don't you ? Safety, including hours, were the reason unions started and why the federal government stepped in to enforce many of the union won gains. There was a reason for the NLRB, OSHA, and the like. My older relatives became union workers about 75 years ago and were proud of it. That's what allowed my family to raise my generation in a middle-class environment . It opened educational and vocational avenues to us here in the New York area that was unavailable to those older folks who remained in the non-union south, for example. I, personally, have been a member of the CWA, NALC, and TWU Local 100. My older relatives were members of the ILA, ILGWU, UMW, UAW, and the Teamsters. That's not to mention my parents, aunts and uncles, who were civil servants including PBA. Go back and Google or wiki those unions I've bolded and you'll see that they were formed in response to actions by Big business or Big government. BTW the airlines downfall was a result of greed and consolidation, for short-term profits not because of unions. They tried using the bankruptcy laws to shed union contracts and workers when their greed bit them in the keister. The UAW didn't cause the downfall of the automakers nor their profitability. The automakers management designed the Corvair and the Pinto, not the workers on the floor. If the profits dwindled at Eastern Airlines, Pan Am, Ford or GM and went south remember that those companies weren't held up at gunpoint to sign those contracts with the unions. In the automakers case they went for the quick fix to enrich management and the shareholders while the Japanese and Koreans, and their governments, invested  in new plants and technology instead. Unions aren't so stupid as to kill the goose who lays the golden eggs. Only those who control the purse strings have that power. That's why a unionized business like Con Ed has been issuing dividend checks for 100 years. Just my rant (and slant ) on things No offense intended. Carry on.

Good work Q44. The mapping for this is correct.

Now the real job is the marketing portion for this.

This could definitely sell good. Especially for Canarsie, East New York and Midwood riders seeking alternatives.

Could this route use standard buses, artics, or a combination of both?

How does this sound:

B10: Woodhull Hospital - Linden/Drew

B15: JFK Airport - Sutter/Rutland

Headway-wise, let's say the current B15 runs every 7-10 minutes throughout the day. So the new B15 would run every 10-12 minutes, and the B10 would run every 12-20 minutes. (From what people are saying, it seems like the Bed-Stuy portion gets lower ridership, but does it really warrant the relatively lower-ridership B45/65 levels of service? I mean, the B43 isn't particularly frequent in that area either)

I remember a while back, we were discussing restructuring the B20/83/84, so that the B20 helps the B15 out between the (3) and the Lefferts AirTrain station. Not sure if it would be overkill to have the B10/15/20 (I like those increments of 5 lol) all running between the New Lots (3) station and the Pink/Cypress Hills Houses (even if the B10/15 combined aren't that much more frequent than the present-day B15).

Where are most B15 Bed-Stuy riders off the bus by? Do a lot of them ride out to ENY, or are most of them off the bus by say, Brookdale?

As I previously stated, there needs to be at least three Brooklyn routes to JFK, not only one. But if all you are gong to have is one, it should be the B35 from McDonald (with no stops along Linden because of the B15 a few blocks away) because most everyone in the borough would have two bus access to JFK. Thst is not true with the B15.

The only reason that route was picked because someone wanted direct access from Bed Stuy. So in answer to your question, if few B15 riders boarding in Bed Stuy are not going to the airport and I doubt they are, your split sounds good to me.

As I previously stated, there needs to be at least three Brooklyn routes to JFK, not only one. But if all you are gong to have is one, it should be the B35 from McDonald (with no stops along Linden because of the B15 a few blocks away) because most everyone in the borough would have two bus access to JFK. Thst is not true with the B15.

The only reason that route was picked because someone wanted direct access from Bed Stuy. So in answer to your question, if few B15 riders boarding in Bed Stuy are not going to the airport and I doubt they are, your split sounds good to me.

ENY and I jointly came up with a LTD-only route between Midwood and JFK to supplement the B15, pictured right here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qcKmOLc0lY-DctyIrmw-lg4CwJ8&usp=sharing

The M3, M4, M5, M15 Local, and M101

you also have routes like the X1 X17, X63 BXM18, and IIRC even some BXM1/2 trips are scheduled to be over 2 hours now.  

Although not scheduled routes like the Q44, Q60, B103 can pretty much take up to 2 hours to get from end to end. 

ENY and I jointly came up with a LTD-only route between Midwood and JFK to supplement the B15, pictured right here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qcKmOLc0lY-DctyIrmw-lg4CwJ8&usp=sharing

Unfortunately, my IPad won't open your Google naps. I will look later on my PC. I also came up with a route about ten years ago from the Junction to JFK on my website. I think I called it the B19.

Http://Brooklynbus.tripod.com

There's should be Multiple routes for buses to JFK

Downtown Brooklyn to - JFK

Via Atlantic Av

South Brooklyn/Coney Island to -JFK

Via linden any ideas?

Greenpoint/Williamsburg- JFK

Via Metropolitan then via wood haven

On the bus line.

Opinions??

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Kingjunior34

you also have routes like the BXM18, and IIRC even some BXM1/2 trips are scheduled to be over 2 hours now.  

Uh, that's actually not true.  The BxM1 and BxM2 trips can take about 90 minutes now (about an additional 20 - 30 minutes in some cases).  The BxM18 trips are usually just under two hours.  The only trip that's a real mess is the first Northbound BxM18.  That one is always late and so by the time he starts, the 16:45 trip is right behind him.

Uh, that's actually not true.  The BxM1 and BxM2 trips can take about 90 minutes now (about an additional 20 - 30 minutes in some cases).  The BxM18 trips are usually just under two hours.  The only trip that's a real mess is the first Northbound BxM18.  That one is always late and so by the time he starts, the 16:45 trip is right behind him.

I wouldn't put stock into that last post of his... B103, Q60, BxM1/2? Scheduled? it's almost like he's trolling at this point.

He's clearly backtracking, bringing up "trips", a part time extension, and routes that come relatively close to the 2 hr. mark....

The fact of the matter is, there simply aren't plenty of routes the MTA's out here running with all that dam runtime....

There's should be Multiple routes for buses to JFK

Downtown Brooklyn to - JFK

Via Atlantic Av

South Brooklyn/Coney Island to -JFK

Via linden any ideas?

Greenpoint/Williamsburg- JFK

Via Metropolitan then via wood haven

On the bus line.

Opinions??

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

You have the LIRR from Downtown Brooklyn so you don't need a bus. Coney Island area yes via Belt Parkway. From Central Brooklyn yes. Via Linden yes via extension of B35. Greenpoint/Williamsburg No because you can transfer to B15. Metropolitan don't know.