Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

I'll agree with you on two things. The Q59 really does not need to run on Broadway and Kent Ave. Not many people have used the Q59 along that segment, so yeah, the B32 should ultimately cover that segment. It'll cut some travel time down, but with the delays the Q59 experiences, keeping the runtime as is would make a modified (shorter) route much more reliable.

Also, I believe the Q59 should run along Metropolitan from Bushwick Avenue. However, I believe the B24 should run along Grand Street either towards WBP or in both directions. I believe that area should have something else besides the B24. However, the Q54 is slightly less frequent than the Q59 at several times of the day, so the B24 should run along Grand Street to make up for some of that service.

However, I disagree with eliminating all Q59 east of the BQE. I would have the Q59 use Driggs and Bedford Avenue. There's a considerable amount of people that get on from east Driggs (before reaching the BQE), and the walk is quite a bit to/from Meeker/Marcy/Rodney. West of Driggs, there's not much of anyone on that bus.

You mean west of the BQE; I'm suggesting that the Q59 not run west of Marcy....

It sounds more like you're making the argument that the Q59 should run north of Grand at Union...

In either case, the second the WBP bound Q59 turns off grand is when you start seeing buses carry air, or pretty close to it.... What you deem as a considerable amt of people (I personally don't, but let's go with your description of that level of ridership) is really only happening on Queens bound buses.... If we were talking 5-10 years ago, I might have agreed with keeping the Q59 west of the BQE.... Now with so many people walking & biking it to (wherever) out there, it's a waste of time to have Q59's diverting to serve the area.... It's sad to see just how un-utilized the Q59 is in the area, but it's a reality....

As long as the Q59 continues to be Q54 backup (yes, the Q59 does arrive more frequently than the Q54... part of that reason is b/c you have so many Q54's short turning nowadays [b/w Jamaica & Fresh Pond]), they may as well structure the route to where it directly backs up the Q54 & be done with it..... This would aid in assisting the Q58 in Maspeth/Elmhurst along Grand even better, as it would lead to Q59's serving that stretch of Grand quicker....

To finish this post off.... Just like the current B24, the current Q59 is antiquated..... I strongly believe that if the Q58 wasn't so overcrowded, virtually nobody would use the Q59 @ 63rd drive.... Folks are getting off the subway at 63rd instead of Grand so they have a better chance at a seat (on the 59 vs the 58)..... It's like I said in the Queens thread, the Q59 is a Q58 short turn.....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to start the New years off by reviving this thread (even though it's only been five days) and saying that I suggest that the Q24 should be cut back to Broadway Junction since ridership west of Broadway Junction is nothing and traffic on Broadway can be crazy (especially during PM rush hours) can take 20 minutes to get from kosciuszko st to gates ave this can speed up Q24 service (Sorry if this has already been suggested and discussed many times on here).

I'm going to start the New years off by reviving this thread (even though it's only been five days) and saying that I suggest that the Q24 should be cut back to Broadway Junction since ridership west of Broadway Junction is nothing and traffic on Broadway can be crazy (especially during PM rush hours) can take 20 minutes to get from kosciuszko st to gates ave this can speed up Q24 service (Sorry if this has already been suggested and discussed many times on here).

You can use the runtime argument, but the (poor) usage argument is no longer the case......

I still would have revived the Broadway segment but probably as a separate route (B22?).

I still would have revived the Broadway segment but probably as a separate route (B22?).

As a standalone route? A short route that purely parallels the (J) train, not connecting to anything further would probably fail miserably, regardless of any revitalization of the Broadway corridor. The only question is whether the Q24 is necessarily the right route to travel there, considering it's length and everything it has to go through. I liked the idea of sending alternate B20s over there.

New idea just trying what about a new route that starts from flatbush and nostrand ave midwood and ends at ehouston st and broadway or 14 st via bowery ave /flatbush ave it could be a limted and maybe later a sbs only problem i see is this affecting the b41 a little but the b41 will still end in downtown bk where as this new route will just continue on flatbush the whole ride

The Q32 runs from 60 st all the way to 34 st penn station and u telling me there cant be a limted route from brooklyn to manhattan thats just 12 blocks or less

You are just picking some arbitrary point in Manhattan to end this route in, just so that we have an interborough route b/w Manhattan & Brooklyn...

I'm not taking you seriously if you think anyone would sit through Flatbush av traffic to get to the Broadway-Lafayette area, or worse, 14th st via (whatever)..... You obviously haven't been around the Houston st area if you truly believe the only obstacle to this idea is some affecting of the B41, either....

The fact that the Q32 exists doesn't make this idea of yours anymore plausible....

Edited by B35 via Church

As a standalone route? A short route that purely parallels the (J) train, not connecting to anything further would probably fail miserably, regardless of any revitalization of the Broadway corridor. The only question is whether the Q24 is necessarily the right route to travel there, considering it's length and everything it has to go through.

I liked the idea of sending alternate B20s over there.

I'll admit it was something different; I just didn't favor the stated idea of the short turn B20's doing it....

Although I would favor sending the B20 to Lafayette/Patchen over Ridgewood - Forest av (M)(current terminal), I don't believe sending the B20 there would loom more useful than the Q24..... As I said in a prior post, Q24 riders out of Brooklyn tend to travel some long distances (to Queens) on the route....

There would be more turnover at B'way Junction w/ running B20's to Lafayette/Patchen, than the current/revived Q24 there.... That's the thing.....

New idea just trying what about a new route that starts from flatbush and nostrand ave midwood and ends at ehouston st and broadway or 14 st via bowery ave /flatbush ave it could be a limted and maybe later a sbs only problem i see is this affecting the b41 a little but the b41 will still end in downtown bk where as this new route will just continue on flatbush the whole ride

It'll be about as useful as the B11 was in Canarsie

How about no, that's what the (5) to the (6) is for

The Q32 runs from 60 st all the way to 34 st penn station and u telling me there cant be a limted route from brooklyn to manhattan thats just 12 blocks or less

You know why they have 3 buses on the Queens bridge but almost none on Brooklyn's bridges. Brooklyn connects to downtown Manhattan which has a crap load of subway service on the queens side on the other hand, the east side is barren in subways and commuters would rather continue their trip on a bus then walk back from lexington ave. The Q32 extend further because it supplements the M4 bus in a busy corridor. 

Here's an idea I got when I saw buses get stuck today behind school buses and double parked cars on 71 Street:

Change the Shore Road bound B9 and B64, taking them off of 71 Street by Xaverian.

Buses will do Bay Ridge Av to Narrows Av to Bay Ridge Pkwy to Shore Road adding drop-offs at 72 St and Bay Ridge Pkwy.

So many buses already do this when Xaverian lets out, might as well make it permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

As a standalone route? A short route that purely parallels the (J) train, not connecting to anything further would probably fail miserably, regardless of any revitalization of the Broadway corridor. The only question is whether the Q24 is necessarily the right route to travel there, considering it's length and everything it has to go through. I liked the idea of sending alternate B20s over there.

Maybe if it went to gateway mall via euclid and conduit this so called B22 can do well as a standalone route. 

• 1 month later...

Time to split the B15?

Anyone who rides this route knows how unreliable it can be. I would propose having an overlap, but breaking the route in two. One park would run the old B10 route (which was the current B15 minus JFK), reviving the B10 designation. The other part would run from JFK up to Sutter and Kings Highway, but instead of turning onto Ralph Avenue, travel up East 98 Street. East New York Avenue, Buffalo Avenue, and Eastern Parkway, terminating where the B14 terminates. Along Eastern Parkway, the B15 would have its first pickup back to the airport on the main roadway, taking what is currently the curb lane eastbound out for a stop (insignificant because much of eastbound Eastern Parkway has been reduced from 3 lanes to 2). Additionally, going back to the airport, since there would be no need to serve Rutland Road directly, the B15 could use Rockaway Parkway down to Lenox Road before coming to East 98 Street.

Another proposal---to keep the B14 on the same side of an apartment development both ways---might be northbound to have the B14 run on Eldert Lane to Sutter...and then have service to the Brooklyn GMF also run via Eldert. This would save money by reducing the number of turns needed...and the B13 already catches that five-block stretch between Euclid and Lincoln.

Edited by aemoreira81

Time to split the B15?

Anyone who rides this route knows how unreliable it can be. I would propose having an overlap, but breaking the route in two. One park would run the old B10 route (which was the current B15 minus JFK), reviving the B10 designation. The other part would run from JFK up to Sutter and Kings Highway, but instead of turning onto Ralph Avenue, travel up East 98 Street. East New York Avenue, Buffalo Avenue, and Eastern Parkway, terminating where the B14 terminates.

Along Eastern Parkway, the B15 would have its first pickup back to the airport on the main roadway, taking what is currently the curb lane eastbound out for a stop (insignificant because much of eastbound Eastern Parkway has been reduced from 3 lanes to 2). Additionally, going back to the airport, since there would be no need to serve Rutland Road directly, the B15 could use Rockaway Parkway down to Lenox Road before coming to East 98 Street.

Another proposal---to keep the B14 on the same side of an apartment development both ways---might be northbound to have the B14 run on Eldert Lane to Sutter...and then have service to the Brooklyn GMF also run via Eldert. This would save money by reducing the number of turns needed...and the B13 already catches that five-block stretch between Euclid and Lincoln.

Let me get this right...

* So the current/real B15 short turn @ Drew would be the "B10"....

* The new "B15" would run from JFK to Utica av (3)(4).....

* Overlapping portion would be b/w [Drew/Linden] & [E. 98th/Ralph]

I would go about it a different way.... You could accomplish the same thing by decreasing the # of current trips terminating @ Woodhull & creating short turns @ Sutter/Rutland (3) (or ENY av itself), instead of having a split B15 diverge @ E. 98th/Ralph .... Save for about a handful of trips all day that stops dead at Penn, the #1 problem I have with that route is that all trips are running in & out of Woodhull from the north.... Not that oh, the B15 is too long, not that it needs a LTD (which has gotten stale to me), but the fact that there is no other short turn terminal b/w Penn & Woodhull (coming from JFK).... Splitting the B15 would exacerbate matters, you run the risk of decreased overall service along the (real) B15 route.... Furthermore, the last thing you need over at the madhouse that is Utica/Eastern Pkwy, is yet another route ending there (B14, B17).....

So the MTA should just have B15 trips running:

* the full route (Woodhull - JFK), basically during late nights/early mornings....

* from Woodhull to Linden/Drew (the current B15 short turn)

* from either [st. John's pl or Sutter/Rutland (3)] to JFK

...and call it a day.

I agree with B35 here. The lack of short turns on the north end of the line is a killer. Buses pile up at Woodhull, and some end up getting placed down the line leaving the other's to pick up the slack.

Maybe a short turn at Sutter-Rutland can work. If not, Ralph & St. Johns works.

I kinda had this idea for a while too. Cut the B15 to sutter av on the (3) and revive the B10. I would even bring back the original GMF terminal instead of the drew st shortturn. I mean, who even uses the JFK B15 north of New lots anyways?

As for late nights, maybe the full route is needed, but I think that if the JFK and woodhull branches are separated in the morning and together at night, there may be confusion if one wants to go to either terminal and does not know route x goes to point A and B at the same time while said rider is waiting for route y to arrive. It may be best to keep the two routes seperated at all times. But what do I know, I only rode the B15 two or three times, so I probably do not know what is best for the B15.

I kinda had this idea for a while too. Cut the B15 to sutter av on the (3) and revive the B10. I would even bring back the original GMF terminal instead of the drew st shortturn. I mean, who even uses the JFK B15 north of New lots anyways?

As for late nights, maybe the full route is needed, but I think that if the JFK and woodhull branches are separated in the morning and together at night, there may be confusion if one wants to go to either terminal and does not know route x goes to point A and B at the same time while said rider is waiting for route y to arrive. It may be best to keep the two routes seperated at all times. But what do I know, I only rode the B15 two or three times, so I probably do not know what is best for the B15.

People transferring off of the B8/35. That stop at Hegeman/Rockaway & at E.98/Church are major transfer points.

...If you wanna split hairs, I do too. house is north of the (L) lol

People transferring off of the B8/35. That stop at Hegeman/Rockaway & at E.98/Church are major transfer points.

...If you wanna split hairs, I do too. house is north of the (L) lol

Well, I wouldn't really call that north of new lots, but whatever I guess lol.

Let me rephrase what I said, is there any JFK riders north of Eastern parkway? (This is near where most of us want to terminate the B15.)

What is this part (in bold) in reference to? Because nobody here mentioned anything about branching....

(AE Moreira wants to split the route & I'm talking about having short turns run concurrently....)

Edited by B35 via Church

What is this part (in bold) in reference to? Because nobody here mentioned anything about branching....

(AE Moreira wants to split the route & I'm talking about having short turns run concurrently....)

I was referring to this part this part when i talked about the two branches:

So the MTA should just have B15 trips running:

* the full route (Woodhull - JFK), basically during late nights/early mornings....

* from Woodhull to Linden/Drew (the current B15 short turn)

* from either [st. John's pl or Sutter/Rutland (3)] to JFK

I probably should learn how to better phrase what I mean to say to reduce confusion. *sigh* But that's just how I am in life......

Okay, my idea is to have the two routes (there we go, idk why I said branches) be separated at all times so that way at late nights or the daytime no one will be waiting for a B10 at JFK or a B15 at Fulton St and vice-versa to get to where they are going.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain