Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're still looking at the same old side of the station as always, it's just that the red tiles on all sides have been removed, not just on the side of the new platform. The new platform is sealed off by those blue construction walls.

Edited by Mysterious2train

It's not impossible. It's just a whole lot easier to do before the line opens than it would be after the fact. Besides, that's exactly how the Sixth Avenue express tracks came to be. The local tracks were installed adjacent to the PATH tracks between 34th Street and W 4th Street in the 1930s. The express tracks were built in the '60s underneath the PATH tracks as well as the local 6th Avenue ones.

It's not impossible but look at the costs and delays we've had with this pared down SAS already.Now add the cost of a TBM and underpinning to the mix. Billions of dollars more in cost and the express tracks of the SAS will end up costing more than the present project IMO AND take longer to complete.

Guest Lance

Oh I know that. I was simply speaking on the feasibility of such an idea, not that it would obviously cost more than the line is costing right now. That's why I said that it's easier to build a bi-leveled line when it's done from the get go and not as an afterthought.

• 2 weeks later...

How frequently are they going to run the (Q) during rush hours once phase I is complete? Every 4 minutes as opposed to 6? Are they going to be running the (T) at that point as well or after they complete another phase? I forgot whether they will have a place to terminate the (T) once phase one is done; it does not appear that they do. How frequently will that line run?

How frequently are they going to run the (Q) during rush hours once phase I is complete? Every 4 minutes as opposed to 6? Are they going to be running the (T) at that point as well or after they complete another phase? I forgot whether they will have a place to terminate the (T) once phase one is done; it does not appear that they do. How frequently will that line run?

The (T) won't start until phase 3 is completed, if ever. Houston Street & Hannover Sq can be used as terminals in Phase 3 & 4.

I think Phase 3 and 4 should be constructed the way the 8th Avenue line is north of 59th Street. It won't cost that much more, and the space is there for future express tracks. 72nd Street & 125th Street would be express stations, they would be single level.

How would the trains get back to where they came from? There's no yard on either end of the line.

Probably they are gonna put in Trains from Coney Island Yard and/or Piktin Yard and put in these trains from Grand Street and then go to Harlem and continue running round trips the full route.

I believe there will,be a yard at 125 Stepreet and the (T) will be most likely R179s or R212s

As the resident grammar nazi, I must correct this post:

I believe there will be a yard at 125th Street and the (T) will most likely by R179's or R211's.

And no, it's based out of Jamaica b/c there is a connection to 63rd Street in the plans. Why build a new yard?

As the resident grammar nazi, I must correct this post:

I believe there will be a yard at 125th Street and the (T) will most likely by R179's or R211's.

And no, it's based out of Jamaica b/c there is a connection to 63rd Street in the plans. Why build a new yard?

Ugh. Getting Cars to the (T) every day from Jamaica sounds mucky. And for my grammar is mucky, blame autocorrect not working when I want it to and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some news:

The MTA seems to have dramatically cut the amount of visible dust from construction of the first phase of the Second Avenue subway but as with any major construction project, there are still complaints. NY1's Tina Redwine filed the following report.

There is still noise but NY1 recently found no visible dust being generated by construction of the Second Avenue subway.

That's a big change from back in April, when we easily found dust flying while debris was loaded onto trucks and transported uncovered.

"I'm glad that they're containing all the dust," said resident DeCarlo Wilson. "It's healthier. I have asthma so trust me, I am very, very glad with all these, what is it, refinements that they're doing."

Over the past several weeks, NY1 has seen contractors carefully transferring debris to dump trucks without creating any visible dust, police officers checking that trucks are covering their debris before heading out and workers hosing down construction sites.

But at Big Daddy's Diner, they say there's still plenty of dust. The dust may be invisible to the naked eye but a service technician told NY1 he is cleaning condensers at least once a week when, before construction, they needed cleaning just once a year.

"If it goes untreated, it could kill the unit," he said. "It'll overheat and the compressors could die. It's very costly."

The chef at Big Daddy's said there are other costs. He said business is down 75 percent.

A spokeswoman said the city forced them to shut down their outdoor cafe because the construction has taken up much of the sidewalk. And foot traffic is so low that they've had to close for breakfast.

"We have bright lights," said Julie Orchier of Branded Restaurants and Big Daddy's. "We have great signs. Our decoration is fun and festive. But people can't see it."

The MTA said things should improve soon, when it finishes the kind of blasting that causes most of the dust.

Big Daddy's isn't the only business up here feeling pain from the subway construction. Whether or not the construction is solely to blame, the Chamber of Commerce says more stores closed along Second Avenue this May than last. Meanwhile, vacancy rates have been improving on nearby Third and First Avenues.

Source:

http://www.ny1.com/c...till-struggling

Edited by 6 Lexington Ave