• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just have the (F) run in two sections and that's it:

1. Between 179 St and York St.

2. Between 4 Av-9 St and Stillwell Av.

Free shuttle buses can replace the (F) between York St and 4 Av-9 St.

The (G) remains suspended between Bedford-Nostrand or Hoyt-Schermerhorn and Church.

Free shuttle buses replace the (G) between Bedford-Nostrand and Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

Plain and simple. The rest of the service changes (the reroutes of course) is what I see no point in doing, especially since those other lines will get affected by those reroutes. And it's pointless to have downtown (N) trains make local stops between Canal and Atlantic.

Edited by RollOver

The solution is pretty simple: (D) local from DeKalb Avenue to 36 Street. The (F) makes a cross-platform connection at Broadway–Lafayette Street, and has a transfer at 4 Avenue–9 Street. The (N) is a pretty unattractive alternative, in my opinion, if it goes through lower Manhattan, and the (N) is the less friendly alternative compared to the (D). There should be no reason to beef up service on a transfer station (Jay Street–MetroTech) that’s not as easy to use as Broadway–Lafayette Street.

Where there is room, the (F) can squeeze into a service gap and run over the Manhattan Bridge, stopping at DeKalb Avenue ( (R) to Jay Street–MetroTech), Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center, Union Street, 9 Street ( (F) to Smith–8 Streets or Coney Island), Prospect Avenue, 25 Street, 36 Street ( (D) to 9 Avenue or Fort Hamilton Parkway—which can be an alternative to Church Avenue for some people), 45 Street, 53 Street, 59 Street, 8 Avenue, Fort Hamilton Parkway, New Utrecht Avenue, 18 Avenue, 20 Avenue, Bay Parkway (alternative to Avenue N and Avenue P), Kings Highway (alternative to Kings Highway), Avenue U (alternative to Avenue U), 86 Street (alternative to Avenue X), and Coney Island. The Sea Beach line is as close to the Culver line as you can get.

When (F) trains are terminating at 2 Avenue or York Street, passengers should take the (D) (4 Avenue local) at Broadway–Lafayette Street and transfer across the platform at Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center or 36 Street for the (N) or get off at 9 Street for the (F). Again, 9 Avenue and Fort Hamilton Parkway may be suitable alternatives to Church Avenue or Ditmas Avenue if they are heading to the area right in between both lines. Otherwise, the (N) is the better choice for stations south of Bay Parkway.

That connection from 9 Avenue to Ditmas Avenue would have come in handy for times like this. The distance between 9 Avenue and Ditmas Avenue is similar to the distance between 36 Street and 59 Street. And the distance only becomes greater between the West End and Culver lines heading south.

Just have the (F) run in two sections and that's it:

1. Between 179 St and York St.

2. Between 4 Av-9 St and Stillwell Av.

Free shuttle buses can replace the (F) between York St and 4 Av-9 St.

The (G) remains suspended between Bedford-Nostrand or Hoyt-Schermerhorn and Church.

Free shuttle buses replace the (G) between Bedford-Nostrand and Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

Plain and simple. The rest of the service changes (the reroutes of course) is what I see no point in doing, especially since those other lines will get affected by those reroutes. And it's pointless to have downtown (N) trains make local stops between Canal and Atlantic.

I hope you know you can't terminate trains at York Street.

Isint there a crossover or something at York?

Last I remembered there was a crossover right below York Street. But yeah I agree with Daniel here, let the (F) have the connections at Jay Street and just use the (R) for (F) connections. (N) service is actually minimal usage for (F) riders. Want Coney Island service, look at the alternatives at Herald Square or Cross transfer at Bway-Lafayette.

Are you and Art Vandelay seriously telling me that there's no X diamond crossover switch south of York Street for trains to relay nor a crew room either?

How nonsensical. The signal problems were located at Jay Street-MetroTech. Where else do you think the (F) should terminate then?

@Appa and trainfan22: Why affect the (A) and (C) instead of just leaving the problems isolated to the (F) and (G)?

Edited by RollOver

Last I remembered there was a crossover right below York Street. But yeah I agree with Daniel here, let the (F) have the connections at Jay Street and just use the (R) for (F) connections. (N) service is actually minimal usage for (F) riders. Want Coney Island service, look at the alternatives at Herald Square or Cross transfer at Bway-Lafayette.

The signal problems were all located on the (F) tracks between Jay and Bergen though, right? I mean you and anyone else here can support the reroutes, which in turn, delays the other lines that have nothing to do with the situation at hand, but as you know me very well in this site, I'm not going to. I'm keeping the problems isolated, unless you really have to reroute the line if there's no other options like a short turn where for example 2 Av and York St both offer, and I choose the latter.

Are you and Art Vandelay seriously telling me that there's no X diamond crossover switch south of York Street for trains to relay nor a crew room either?

How nonsensical. The signal problems were located at Jay Street-MetroTech. Where else do you think the (F) should terminate then?

@Appa and trainfan22: Why affect the (A) and (C) instead of just leaving the problems isolated to the (F) and (G)?

There is no crew room at York St. The crossover south of the station is controlled by the tower at Jay St.

Southbound trains can terminate there, but would have to turn around in the tunnel via the crossover. Northbound trains can just use the station itself on either track.

Depending on where the actual signal is that's giving the problems, turning trains back at York St would be a problem.

Edited by Fresh Pond

If it wasn't affecting traffic so much just turn all (F) trains at Jay st/York and maybe some at 2nd ave. I want to know why it's so hard to turn trains at some stations like this.Regarding the (G) was there any way for it to terminate at Hoyt-Schmerhorn? Maybe do a shuttle every 20 min.Better. Then nothing I say

Edited by Abba

If it wasn't affecting traffic so much just turn all (F) trains at Jay st/York and maybe some at 2nd ave. I want to know why it's so hard to turn trains at some stations like this.Regarding the (G) was there any way for it to terminate at Hoyt-Schmerhorn? Maybe do a shuttle every 20 min.Better. Then nothing I say

Because Jay Street you have to relay at Bergen Street Lower Level and that section the power was loss. Just be glad it wasn't worst. I was there yesterday and amazingly, it wasn't that chaotic

And it's pointless to have downtown (N) trains make local stops between Canal and Atlantic.

I believe the point of rerouting the N local is to add additional 4th Av local service at Jay St to connect passengers to the F at 4th Av-9th St, not to get to Coney Island.  Transferring at Jay for the R (or N in this case) was the only way to connect the 2 sections of the F, and they probably figured R service alone was insufficient.

York could not handle close to what the F would be running, and would not provide a transfer for riders to continue to South Brooklyn. Split service is inevitable when a line as frequent as the F craps out in the middle of rush hour. The N had to be sent via Tunnel to handle the large number of riders from the transfer at Jay. Furthermore, the diverted Ns through Montague clear up Gold Street for the diverted Fs to fit through. 

I don't think there is a better way to handle what happened. If there was, said better way would have been what was done. 

Edited by Art Vandelay

Because Jay Street you have to relay at Bergen Street Lower Level and that section the power was loss. Just be glad it wasn't worst. I was there yesterday and amazingly, it wasn't that chaotic

And the only reason why you're even saying this is because "every other" (F) 's were short turning at 2 Av or being sent via the (D) to Coney Island and not just via the (C) from Jay to Euclid. At the same time, "every other" (N) 's were sent local via the tunnel to ease crowding at Jay.

I mean the (F) runs 12-15 trains per hour during the rush, so they probably sent half of them to a different line (the (D)) and the other half to another different line (the (C)) as the (MTA) themselves described and wrote yesterday on their website about the incident.

But anyway, I guess all they really wanted was to find an alternative way for (F) trains to continue into South Brooklyn to avoid splitting the line into two sections due to the height of rush hour as Art Vandelay was pointing out above.

Service Change  Posted: 07/04/2015  6:06PM

Due to FDNY activity at Lexington Av/59 St, the following service changes are in effect:

r.png trains are running on the f.png line between 36 St (QNS) and Lexington Av/63 St in both directions.

Southbound r.png trains will run on their normal path from 57 St-7 Av.

There is no n.png train service between 57 St-7 Av and Queensboro Plaza in both directions.

n.png Shuttle train service will be provided between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza in both directions.

f.png, n.png and r.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Allow additional travel time. 

Usually the (N) would get knocked off at 57th street and no service toward Astoria. They are providing a shuttle (N) service. The 60th street tunnel is having so many issues. They need to have a serious repair during the fastrack period. 

And the only reason why you're even saying this is because "every other" (F) 's were short turning at 2 Av or being sent via the (D) to Coney Island and not just via the (C) from Jay to Euclid. At the same time, "every other" (N) 's were sent local via the tunnel to ease crowding at Jay.

I mean the (F) runs 12-15 trains per hour during the rush, so they probably sent half of them to a different line (the (D)) and the other half to another different line (the (C)) as the (MTA) themselves described and wrote yesterday on their website about the incident.

But anyway, I guess all they really wanted was to find an alternative way for (F) trains to continue into South Brooklyn to avoid splitting the line into two sections due to the height of rush hour as Art Vandelay was pointing out above.

It's more than 15 trains per hour

Delays  Posted: 07/06/2015  4:04PM

Due to signal problems at Franklin Av, southbound 2.png and 3.png trains are running with delays.

Delays  Posted: 07/06/2015  4:03PM

Due to switch problems at Franklin Av, 2.png and 5.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Interesting. Signal and switch problems are occurring at the same spot.