LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, it’s broken to reply back under quote on my mobile phone. 

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2023/08-2023/Governor-Lamont-Announces-Purchase-of-60-New-Rail-Cars-To-Modernize-Commuter-Rail-Lines

At the bottom of the article, it says “The order of 60 new rail cars follows a recent order of six new dual-mode locomotives, as the state’s rail equipment continues to be upgraded. Dual-mode locomotives can be powered through an electric supply or onboard diesel engine, which improves reliability, and the equipment can operate in electric mode, which reduces emissions.” I’m guessing it’ll be locomotive engines unless they’re somehow not correlated.

28 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

I was on the 7 yesterday and I saw an Acela on the LIRR mainline next to Sunnyside, does anyone know why it would be there in the first place?

I'm not sure which track you are referring to but the Acela usually runs through BOS-DC so will be on the mainline often, if you meant using the tracks LI typically uses there was a disabled Amtrak train disrupting the normal flow. Elsewise the Acela does use Line 4 during inspections in the other tubes.

8 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I’d still like to know how they are going to do the city ticket expansion to Far Rockaway…it’s not like people aren’t going to abuse it and get off at a previous stop.

Location-based...you can only purchase it if you're near the Far Rockaway station, which means anyone starting in the City Terminal Zone is screwed.

10 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

Since the GCM schedule went into effect, has an M3 set appeared on the West Hempstead or Port Washington Branch.

Yes for the Port Washington part. M3s regularly go on Port Washington during rush hours as it is the only time they can. No for West Hempstead since it is an operational nightmare.

On 8/16/2023 at 1:05 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Location-based...you can only purchase it if you're near the Far Rockaway station, which means anyone starting in the City Terminal Zone is screwed.

They could make is so if you want a return you have to buy it at Far Rockaway too, like like how they do with the combo tickets.

52 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That's the problem. If you're making a round trip from Zone 1, you can't get it. Only if you start from Far Rockaway.

Makes it similar to the combo thickets but who knows I guess we’ll find out on Sunday