LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On the MNRR timetables there are trains that have letters (either H,D or R) before the time at certain stops? What do these letters mean?

They are outlined in the reference notes on the timetable.

H - Primarily to discharge passengers.  Train may depart up to 5 minutes earlier than the time shown.

D - Stops only to discharge passengers.

R - Stops only to receive passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

William Levitt apparently didn't want any sort of rail running through his town.  Joke's on him, residents of his glorious town have to drive almost a mile and a half away to the Main Line, which is already crowded, or the parking-sparse South Shore just to get to the LIRR.

The LIRR maintains a facility right across Commercial Avenue from where the MTA decided to build Mitchel Field depot.

• 2 weeks later...

Shout out to Metro-North for putting out a train that would intermittently go BIE while we were stopped this morning (on an M8 no less). The train went BIE at Stamford, then Fairfield, then by the yard in Bridgeport, costing us at least 3 minutes each time. Got to NHV over 10 minutes late on the very first train of the day. Then again, my connection was 15 minutes late too so I guess things sorted themselves out in the end...

Edited by paulrivera

• 3 weeks later...

I was sitting on the Metro-North train last night at Grand Central heading home and a really foul odor came out of nowhere.  Smelled like raw sewage or something, but was rather overpowering.  Is that the norm and if so what does it come from?  

We talking about the Shoreliners/Comets? When I went to Tarrytown, I was sitting by the window of one of these cars when the overpowering stench of urine came out of nowhere. I figured either the guy behind me had pissed himself or something else had leaked, but man it was the worst smell.

We talking about the Shoreliners/Comets? When I went to Tarrytown, I was sitting by the window of one of these cars when the overpowering stench of urine came out of nowhere. I figured either the guy behind me had pissed himself or something else had leaked, but man it was the worst smell.

I was sitting on one of the newer trains that they use on the Hudson Line.  The train was in the station with the doors open since it wasn't due to depart yet, and the smell was quite noticeable.  It was clear that it was coming from somewhere within the station itself and not the train.

I used the Metro North from GCT-Fordham yesterday afternoon and it was wonderful. Got on the 5:40 Harlem Line departure and made it to Fordham in 20 minutes flat with more comfort on the train then the (5) or (6) I would otherwise be using. Well worth the additional $8.75 for a peak ticket. Because of that price I won't be doing this that much but given that i'm trying to branch out and find other commute options it's a good one to have in my back pocket.