LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question and I already researched it on Wiki, but I need some more information. For the MN Hudson line, I always see remains of a old track that's right next to the Hudson River, and I saw a abandoned rail yard at GreyStone. Did this use to be a part of the old New York Railroad?

• 3 weeks later...

They caught some dude using Metro North trains to smuggle guns. 

A 550-pound Bronx gangster — nicknamed “Wobbles” — and his ring of nine gun runners were busted for smuggling dozens of weapons into the Big Apple on Metro-North trains, authorities said Wednesday.

The heavy-duty hustle was thwarted after William “Wobbles” Soler, 33, and his crew allegedly sold 93 guns to an undercover cop, according to a 367-count felony indictment filed in Bronx Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Soler — who posed shirtless, clutching guns in photos — and his cohorts bought the weapons on the street in Westchester, Maine and Connecticut last year

http://nypost.com/2015/05/06/meet-wobbles-the-500-pound-alleged-boss-of-a-gun-running-ring/

If you're going to Belmont Park, beware that they charge some special "premium LIRR fare" to go from Zone 1 to Belmont Park, more than the typical LIRR fare.  Also, with severe overcrowding and very limited platform capacity, I heard there were waits of well over an hour to get on a train after the game ended.  A bus to subway might be a far better (and far cheaper) option.

If you're going to Belmont Park, beware that they charge some special "premium LIRR fare" to go from Zone 1 to Belmont Park, more than the typical LIRR fare.  Also, with severe overcrowding and very limited platform capacity, I heard there were waits of well over an hour to get on a train after the game ended.  A bus to subway might be a far better (and far cheaper) option.

It depends, if they can get on a Q2 or Q110 to escape , that may work. The N6 barely has spare capacity and is usually caught up in the post Stakes traffic. Hempstead Turnpike is a nightmare during Belmont Stakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know why the 5:46 from New Haven is always so late during the week: There's an Amtrak train that also leaves New Haven southbound at 5:45. The Metro-North train also has to cross more tracks leaving New Haven, and there are track outages all over the place. That train easily ends up being 10 minutes late (at least) most of the time (train #1583 for those keeping score.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LIRR Westbound Service Advisory

LIRR service is suspended westbound only between Jamaica and Penn and Woodside and Penn due to a track condition east of the East River tunnels. New York City Transit is honoring LIRR fares on the E subway train from Jamaica to Penn and the 7 subway train from Woodside to Penn.

• 2 weeks later...

this one c/r on the 5:51am west hempstead has been lazy lately..... it's been 3 straight (week) days where he didn't punch anyone's ticket before Jamaica (wednesday, thursday, and yesterday)..... On thursday, the c/r for the connecting huntington train in the morning also didn't punch anyone's ticket (at or before Mineola where I get off; don't know or care what happened afterwards)....

Back on thursday, a shitload of Islanders fans were on my Atlantic terminal train coming home, as well as the train arriving at Mineola... Since trains were so crowded, the c/r didn't bother to get to the car I was on, on either of those 2 separate trains..... I didn't relinquish that one ticket that whole day (for the morning commute or the evening commute), which is rare, being a 4 seat ride (2 going, 2 coming).... The next morning (friday), again, the c/r didn't punch that same ticket... It was until I got on the huntington train to mineola that friday morning where the c/r finally took that one ticket.....

side note: What was the deal with those Islanders fans anyway?... I'm like, the hockey season's over, f***'s this.....

(I will say though that there weren't anywhere near as rowdy & annoying as the rangers fans that be on them trains to penn)..... It was just odd to see Islanders fans on the LIRR, when I'm so used to dealing with idiotic rangers fans (which makes a lot of rangers fans like myself look bad)....

this one c/r on the 5:51am west hempstead has been lazy lately..... it's been 3 straight (week) days where he didn't punch anyone's ticket before Jamaica (wednesday, thursday, and yesterday)..... On thursday, the c/r for the connecting huntington train in the morning also didn't punch anyone's ticket (at or before Mineola where I get off; don't know or care what happened afterwards)....

Back on thursday, a shitload of Islanders fans were on my Atlantic terminal train coming home, as well as the train arriving at Mineola... Since trains were so crowded, the c/r didn't bother to get to the car I was on, on either of those 2 separate trains..... I didn't relinquish that one ticket that whole day (for the morning commute or the evening commute), which is rare, being a 4 seat ride (2 going, 2 coming).... The next morning (friday), again, the c/r didn't punch that same ticket... It was until I got on the huntington train to mineola that friday morning where the c/r finally took that one ticket.....

side note: What was the deal with those Islanders fans anyway?... I'm like, the hockey season's over, f***'s this.....

(I will say though that there weren't anywhere near as rowdy & annoying as the rangers fans that be on them trains to penn)..... It was just odd to see Islanders fans on the LIRR, when I'm so used to dealing with idiotic rangers fans (which makes a lot of rangers fans like myself look bad)....

It was a scrimmage game at Barclays.  The draft was just a few weeks ago, so the new rookies and new players acquired or brought up from the farm team are taking time to practice with the team.  The off-season believe it or not isn't very long. They train well into the summer, then have a short break and get back to it before the preseason.  The new guys coming in have to make the team so it's a very competitive time.

Generally speaking 10 cars. There is one Harlem Line morning train that is 12 cars. There may be 12 car trains on the New Haven Line but can't say for sure.

Used to be that wasn't even the case. The Hudson Line ran 4 cars once lol. How times have changed...

Used to be that wasn't even the case. The Hudson Line ran 4 cars once lol. How times have changed...

Yeah but some stations along the Hudson Line can only be boarded in the first four cars.  The Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale stations are like that.  It's annoying too.  Northbound at least, the Spuyten Duyvil platform is more than long enough to have all of the doors open, and that certainly isn't an issue at the Riverdale station.

Thats why when I'm coming from New Haven I board in the 5th car. I would love to do that heading towards New Haven too but the conductors tend to close up one car too many coming out of the city.

lol... I've almost been caught at a few stations being too far up or too far down to get on.  On the New Haven Line it's especially annoying.  I think they should do away with the whole 4 car nonsense.  

• 2 months later...

Railroad Will Eliminate Little-Used Ticketing Options That Had Faded in Popularity 

The Long Island Rail Road wants customers to know that a number of changes to little-used ticketing procedures that have faded in popularity are taking effect at the beginning of October. Most of the changes were previously announced when they were approved by the MTA Board in July.

WebTicketwhich allowed LIRR customers to order tickets online and have them delivered by mail within 7 business days, will no longer be available beginning Thursday, October 1. The popularity of WebTicket has declined significantly, representing only 0.1% of the LIRR’s ticket sales. Monthly ticket buyers are encouraged to sign up for Mail&Ride, the LIRR’s convenient ticket-by-mail subscription service. Other customers are advised to allow time to buy tickets at easy-to-use LIRR ticket machines and staffed ticket windows, where available.

Monthly TicketsValidity will now start at 12 midnight on the first day of the month, rather than at 8 p.m. on the last day of the prior month. (This does not affect the first business day of the month courtesy, which allows monthly ticket holders to surrender the previous month’s ticket on a morning rush hour train, then buy their new monthly ticket at their destination before the commute home. This practice will remain in effect.)

Weekly TicketsValidity will now start at 12 midnight on Saturday mornings, rather than at 8 p.m., on Fridays.

One-Way Tickets, which are valid for 60 days from date of purchase, will now expire at 11:59 p.m. on the 60th day. (Previously, they expired at 4 a.m. on the 61st day.)

Stop-Overs at intermediate stations are no longer permitted with one-way or round-trip tickets starting October 1, 2015. This seldom-used option had allowed customers who purchased one-way or round-trip tickets to exit the train at an intermediate stop, and re-board later in the day using a single ticket.

Going forward, customers should purchase separate tickets for each leg of their trip. To save money, buy before boarding at a ticket machine or staffed LIRR Ticket Window, since tickets bought onboard the train cost up to $6.50 more than the station price. Monthly and weekly ticketholders are not affected by this change.

For More Information

In addition to this information being available on the LIRR’s website, customers can also contact the LIRR’s Customer Service Center by calling 511, the New York State Travel Information Line, and saying: Long Island Rail Road. If you are hearing impaired, use your preferred relay service provider for the free 711 relay to reach LIRR at 511.