LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

2 hours ago, JSLR7 said:

Any reason why? Plenty of people use that passageway, especially from LI to Yankee games and from the MNR region to Mets and Islanders games.

I think it may have to do with GCT trainshed reconstruction but not entirely sure. Just a hunch.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but the "having tickets" ready announcements keep playing on repeat throughout the railroads. Glad something is finally being done to address this issue.

Agreed. They are well aware of what comes with fare evasion and the LIRR knows that those kinds of problems will kill the railroads. It is also why fare evasion is not tolerated on express buses.

1 minute ago, JAzumah said:

Agreed. They are well aware of what comes with fare evasion and the LIRR knows that those kinds of problems will kill the railroads. It is also why fare evasion is not tolerated on express buses.

I mean, you have conductors getting beat in the head with printers or pumpkins over a fare...something NEEDS to be done.

18 hours ago, JAzumah said:

Fare evasion on express buses has increased on Bronx and Staten Island express buses. 

17 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Has to be drivers letting people ride anyway. Either that, or maybe farebeaters are scaling the bus through the rear emergency exits. anything is possible :lol:

People just walk on and bus operators are more averse to confronting farebeaters since there are more of them now. 

I use the LIRR at least once a week, however some weeks I use it more times and today is the first time in a few months (3-4 months) since I caught a M9.  These trains are a nice little upgrade from the M7’s but it’s like they don’t exist at times. 
My biggest complaint with the M7’s are those nasty windows that you can’t see out of. 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I use the LIRR at least once a week, however some weeks I use it more times and today is the first time in a few months (3-4 months) since I caught a M9.  These trains are a nice little upgrade from the M7’s but it’s like they don’t exist at times. 
My biggest complaint with the M7’s are those nasty windows that you can’t see out of. 

I believe the M9’s have the same windows lol. They’ll crystallize, fade or haze eventually.

On 5/18/2024 at 8:20 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

On 5/18/2024 at 3:18 PM, danielhg121 said:

I believe the M9’s have the same windows lol. They’ll crystallize, fade or haze eventually.

I thought it had to do with the type of window cleaner they were using, combined with sun exposure? I remember something about MNRR not having the problem because they used a different cleaning process or something. 

On 5/21/2024 at 12:17 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

I thought it had to do with the type of window cleaner they were using, combined with sun exposure? I remember something about MNRR not having the problem because they used a different cleaning process or something. 

MNR doesn't have this issue because their lines go from north to south. On the island the sun majority shines on the south side of the train.

9 hours ago, xD4nn said:

MNR doesn't have this issue because their lines go from north to south. On the island the sun majority shines on the south side of the train.

The New Haven Line goes from east to west and they lack this issue. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 6:52 AM, Robert Spire said:

The New Haven Line goes from east to west and they lack this issue. 

It is in a diagonal direction and metro north trains consistently turn around at GCT. LIRR trains are permanently fixed facing east/west.

12 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Supposedly the Chargers are enroute to NYC or FRA Testing Facility in Pueblo, Colorado.

Pueblo for third rail testing.

Edited by xD4nn

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Ran out of 2's and it was cheaper to turn a 5 backwards LOL...probably put in for overtime to do that

Funny you say that. Another person commented on a similar video and said the decal guy had showed up to fix the decals only to find out that the Chargers were already shipped out. haha

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I just saw this video. Sounds Interesting.

Uhhh this is some sorta fantasy right. They pretty much introduced through-running as a new idea but we don’t have the hubs built up for this nor are the logistics even close to being worked out to do it. They say Penn won’t be overloaded but where do all the trains have to go through anyways…Penn lol. 😝 

8 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Uhhh this is some sorta fantasy right. They pretty much introduced through-running as a new idea but we don’t have the hubs built up for this nor are the logistics even close to being worked out to do it. They say Penn won’t be overloaded but where do all the trains have to go through anyways…Penn lol. 😝 

I’m genuinely curious how we’re gonna do Penn Access. Are we going to share tracks 13-21 with LIRR? That also means we have to be NORAC qualified.

18 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m genuinely curious how we’re gonna do Penn Access. Are we going to share tracks 13-21 with LIRR? That also means we have to be NORAC qualified.

I’m guessing we’ll have trains in and out (on Stamford locals or a New Rochelle shuttle similar to Jamaica to Atlantic term with direct service during rush hours) and prob only a couple stored in West Side Yard. Prob gna split the off-peak half hourly service into one to Penn and one to GC. Heard they’re building the MNR crew facilities inside Penn currently. New rochelle might be made into a crew base too, they also want to expand New Rochelle yard. Yep we’ll probably have to be qualified on Zone A but it won’t be that bad. Not an insane amount of signals to memorize.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the lirr still getting extra train cars for its diesel fleet for the summer? Because I read an article or forum saying that the lirr issued a request for expression of interest in leasing cars from another railroad industry back in the winter.

Posted (edited)

9793-9794: M3 unit retired from passenger service. However, remains for Nassau County Police operations for training.

Credit: AGM trains 

Edited by Calvin