LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I finally got to ride the train to Port Jeff on Friday, 1:46 out of Jamaica. There was an railfan filming the train leaving Jamaica and some filming at Queens Village, anybody here?

Was a pretty nice ride, great way to spend an summer afternoon in the A/C since it was hot and humid on Friday and I hate the heat. Sadly the waiting room at port jeff was closed so I had to wait outside for the W/B train back to Jamaica. There was only one bench on the platform inside an shelter but someone was smoking in there.

It was slightly cooler in Port Jeff compared to the city while humid, it was somewhat tolerable. The W/B run was really busy and connecting train to Penn at Jamaica was crowded like an subway train.

Next up is riding to Speonk and then I can say I ridden all the commuter limits of the LIRR system. Probably will never ride out to Montauk or Greenport. 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, trainfan22 said:

Page 45 of this MTA PDF file has a rendering of the new Metro North Locomotives, looks nice! Sadly no renderings for LIRR even though they plan to purchase the same locomotives to replace DE/DM30s.

https://new.mta.info/document/89781

For future reference: in pdfs you can link directly to the page number like so:

https://new.mta.info/document/89781#page=45

On 6/17/2022 at 10:35 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Over in Philadelphia, one of the things they are considering for their Regional Rail redesign is having Amtrak trains function as the express trains, and off-peak would be all-local service on the SEPTA end, but you could use your SEPTA ticket on Amtrak if you lived near an express stop. (I think the scheduling would be in a way that makes the Amtrak trains come consistently every hour, compared to now where they run at fairly random times). 

Not saying that its impossible to do here, but the situation in SEPTA land is different because the service in question is run by Amtrak for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania which funds it. They can simply say we'll pay you to run a train every hour in a way that the MTA couldn't unless it involves the Empire Service (which is funded directly by New York State).

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Lex said:

I think it would be best to keep the M3s geared primarily toward Brooklyn. West Hempstead and the shuttle will help keep the wear down, thereby avoiding the problems we see with the R46s.

Those Brooklyn shuttles will run on 15 minute headways... not exactly a light workload. Also those LIRR M3s got a mechanical overhaul so they shouldn't be as beat up as were when they last was in service.

In the "M7 era" it was very rare to see M3s in service in the masses outside of rush hour. There would be like two to three sets in service off peak/weekends at most. I would imagine the M3 usage would be mainly rush hour runs to and from NYP when they come back.

Edited by trainfan22

11 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Those Brooklyn shuttles will run on 15 minute headways... not exactly a light workload. Also those LIRR M3s got a mechanical overhaul so they shouldn't be as beat up as were when they last was in service.

In the "M7 era" it was very rare to see M3s in service in the masses outside of rush hour. There would be like two to three sets in service off peak/weekends at most. I would imagine the M3 usage would be mainly rush hour runs to and from NYP when they come back.

Please. You'd have a valid point if it was MNRR, but the difference in upkeep between the LIRR and MNRR is night and day. I'm sure the return of the torn seats with duct tape will return. Never rode one before, but I've seen plenty of them in service with people complaining. The times I have used the LIRR, I wasn't that impressed with the condition of the trains either.

LIRR canceled the battery powered MU project, claiming it isn't feasible. The article is on Newsday website, but behind a paywall.

As a railfan, I'm so happy about this news:D Diesel branches should be locomotives and passenger cars, also they can share the same pool of equipment with the other diesel branches rather than have Oyster Bay have an oddball battery powered fleet.

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

LIRR canceled the battery powered MU project, claiming it isn't feasible. The article is on Newsday website, but behind a paywall.

As a railfan, I'm so happy about this news:D Diesel branches should be locomotives and passenger cars, also they can share the same pool of equipment with the other diesel branches rather than have Oyster Bay have an oddball battery powered fleet.

The problem now is that LIRR barely have enough equipment in its diesel pool for regular service, let alone service service expansion, and/or summer service increases to the Hamptons. 

It wasn't that long ago when they had to cancel some service over the summer to meet service, and/or run trains that are short

Edited by Mtatransit

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

In that case, electrify everything.

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

The problem now is that LIRR barely have enough equipment in its diesel pool for regular service, let alone service service expansion, and/or summer service increases to the Hamptons. 

It wasn't that long ago when they had to cancel some service over the summer to meet service, and/or run trains that are short

They should order a surplus of Diesel equipment whenever the current fleet is up for retirement. Or lease cars from other railroads like they did with MARC a couple summers ago. But I heard Port Jeff riders hated the MARC cars so that's probably why they didn't do it again. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

In that case, electrify everything.

Electrification costs 18 MILLION per mile, I don't think the entire LIRR system will be 100 percent 3rd rail anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I will start with buying reliable off the shelf diesel equipment first. And buy enough of them to meet service expansion, not "just" replacing today's fleet

I wouldn't. Fossil fuels take far too long to renew and burning them pollutes the air. I'm not sure if you've actually tried breathing around a diesel locomotive, but I have -- in electric territory, no less. Hard pass.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Electrification costs 18 MILLION per mile, I don't think the entire LIRR system will be 100 percent 3rd rail anytime soon.

And that price will only inflate so long as we sit on our asses. The sooner it gets done, the better off we'll be.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:41 PM, Lex said:

I wouldn't. Fossil fuels take far too long to renew and burning them pollutes the air. I'm not sure if you've actually tried breathing around a diesel locomotive, but I have -- in electric territory, no less. Hard pass

It’s simply not realistic for the MTA to even think about electrification at this time. Everything cost billions and will drag out for years

Even if we start tomorrow it will probably be a good 20-30 years before the entire system is done

C3s can not last for that long. The best we can hope for is for cleaner diesel locomotives now, or wait until battery electrification to reach mainstream. The LIRR due to its own fault, failed to order enough diesel equipment to meet todays service

Plus you have some branches that makes no economical sense to electrify such as Oyster Bay and East of KO, with its 40mph MAS and dark signaling in some case

22 hours ago, EphraimB said:

Here's a 2025 LIRR map

o1Wia59.png

Might as well add a couple more lines going north to south if we are going to do a fantasy LIRR map

My dream also includes a Port Washington - Hempstead- Freeport, maybe Wading River, Riverhead to Montauk via Sag Harbor. Will it happen ever? No

Ok so I was looking at the service status of the (J) and on the suspension of service to Jamaica I noticed this paragraph on the bottom 

LIRR will cross-honor MetroCard at Atlantic Terminal Accessbility, Nostrand Av Accessbility, East New York, Jamaica Accessbility, Hollis, Queens Village Accessbility, St Albans, Locust Manor, Laurelton, and Rosedale Accessbility. Click here to check LIRR schedules.

https://new.mta.info/map/21841

Has anyone tried to do this yet, especially for trips past Jamaica?

Edited by IAlam

30 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Ok so I was looking at the service status of the (J) and on the suspension of service to Jamaica I noticed this paragraph on the bottom 

https://new.mta.info/map/21841

Has anyone tried to do this yet, especially for trips past Jamaica?

A few days ago I was able to ride from Atlantic Terminal to Queens Village with just a MetroCard. I have also used it for a few trips from Atlantic Terminal to Nassau County which required me to change at Jamaica by buying a ticket from Jamaica to wherever my final destination was and using my MetroCard to ride between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal.

I was thinking while riding on the Long Beach train this afternoon, the LIRR missed out when it came to the Far Rockaway branch. Long Beach trains get really packed during the summer weekends and if the Far Rockaway were to terminate closer to Rockaway Beach, I bet it would attract those summer beach crowds. It’s current terminal is not even at the main strip over there on Mott Ave where the (A) train is so it is definitely an after thought. I shocked to see one night at around 10pm an almost standing room only train from Long Beach heading towards Penn Station.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I was thinking while riding on the Long Beach train this afternoon, the LIRR missed out when it came to the Far Rockaway branch. Long Beach trains get really packed during the summer weekends and if the Far Rockaway were to terminate closer to Rockaway Beach, I bet it would attract those summer beach crowds. It’s current terminal is not even at the main strip over there on Mott Ave where the (A) train is so it is definitely an after thought. I shocked to see one night at around 10pm an almost standing room only train from Long Beach heading towards Penn Station.

Funny thing is the (A) line in the Rockaways use to be apart of the LIRR until they abandoned the Rockaway Beach branch. I guess the LIRR wasn't intrested in Rockaway Beach service. 

Nice to hear that weekend Long Beach trains are busy to Long Beach as it's an nice little beach town IMO.

• 2 weeks later...