LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

10 hours ago, TheNewYorkElevated said:

Odd how this isn't happening to Metro-North.

Metro-North ripped the band-aid off very early into the pandemic. Plus, they cut service smartly (generally 20-30 minute headways during peak hours, but maintaining hourly during midday, evening, and weekend.)

Metro-North is gonna need to go back to half hourly weekend service soon imo, those trains are going to begin crowding up again once the Yankees start playing and Broadway opens up.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

According to their twitter, what thee mean is a grand total of 2 trains. One AM from KO at 4:50AM making no stops until Farmingdale, and one in the PM hours at 4:39PM I believe

Metro North had it better with still decent rush hour peak/reverse peak service, while the LIRR went full on into a weekend schedule.

Apparently they added a total of three trains between the Ronkonkoma, Port Jefferson, and Hempstead Branches, and four trains added to the Babylon Branch, with 2 trains from Speonk making added stops: https://www.radio.com/1010wins/news/state/lirr-add-trains-after-cuts-cause-crowding-covid-concerns?fbclid=IwAR37CNGmafV-6jrbcMXcAUwyShDBiHBtRFNMu7ie4H8aiy--YVSirNqghtI

The stupid thing is, the 4:50am out of Ronkonkoma is scheduled for the same amount of runtime to Farmingdale as the 5:00am train, even though the 4:50am train is nonstop. 

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Damn, they got rid of all those early (reverse) AM peak trains leaving Atlantic Terminal before 6am....

When I used to work in LI, that first train was the 5:12 Far Rockaway (which was usually the train I took, since it connected with that first Ronkonkoma train that made a stop at Mineola), then the next train was a 5:28 Long Beach (which went nonstop to Jamaica from Atlantic Terminal), then after that one was the 5:51 West Hempstead....

Some time either late last year or early this year, they still kept the 5:12 Far Rockaway - but got rid of the 5:51 West Hempstead, to have that 5:28 Long Beach train leave 1 minute earlier & run locally b/w Atlantic Terminal & Jamaica (meaning, serving Nostrand av. & East New York)...

Now both those 5:12 Far Rockaway & 5:27 Long Beach trains have been eliminated, and the first AM peak train leaving Atlantic Terminal is a 6:23 am Far Rockaway train... After that, is a 6:45am Long Beach train.....

To sum it up, it appears that (reverse) AM peak service out of Atlantic Terminal resembles weekend service.....

Basically, the whole schedule is a weekend schedule with a few added trains and adjustments (for example, the 4:20am out of Speonk runs to Long Island City instead of ending at Jamaica). 

I might've missed it, but those 78XX trains to Hunterspoint Avenue & LIC are from which branch? (I see those 87XX trains are from the Montauk Branch).

Edited by checkmatechamp13

32 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Old LIRR schedule returns March 29th after Cuomo ordered the cuts reversed.

AAUvwnjSCW4XbLiJwLfe6BqgBwTV-lbJnfUMX1ma

Yup, I said they would add service back if needed... On another note, I had a phone call today with the (MTA) on a follow-up to my requests to Cuomo. I was NOT pleased. I'll keep pestering him until I get what we're asking for. lol

46 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Metro-North ripped the band-aid off very early into the pandemic. Plus, they cut service smartly (generally 20-30 minute headways during peak hours, but maintaining hourly during midday, evening, and weekend.)

Metro-North is gonna need to go back to half hourly weekend service soon imo, those trains are going to begin crowding up again once the Yankees start playing and Broadway opens up.

Yes they did. However, I have not been using it as much now that OMNY is on the express buses, especially with hourly service remaining during off-peak periods during the week. I used to take the semi-express trains that stop at Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil, that run non-stop after Marble Hill to 125th. I won't be riding again until those trains come back during the week and on the weekends.

14 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Unrelated to the new LIRR schedules, but the LIRR Train Time app is amazing. Literally the pandemic caused them to expedite and provide so much info for passengers. As a enthusiast, it would be nice if you can filter all Babylon trains in service, all Long Beach trains, filter by various fleet type (although there's only two so that's irrelevant), etc. However, and I assume it's already in the makings, the one thing that would perfect this app and put it above and behind would be to provide exit locations along the station platforms to show what car aligns near the exit of your choice, preferably with a little reference. For example, if the exit leads you to a street, a subway station, bus terminal or park and ride. 

I remember people posting that at least on the subway side of things, they purposely don't post that kind of info because they don't want people crowding into certain cars just to be close to a specific exit that everyone wants. Dunno if the same applies for the raimroads

On 3/9/2021 at 5:20 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

The stupid thing is, the 4:50am out of Ronkonkoma is scheduled for the same amount of runtime to Farmingdale as the 5:00am train, even though the 4:50am train is nonstop.

That used to be a train that started at Farmingdale in the morning; notice all the stops it makes b/w Farmingdale & Jamaica..... They simply extended that train to Ronkonkoma, having it run nonstop to Farmingdale....

I'm of the suspicion that train idles at Farmingdale for those 10 mins. (or w/e the difference is) before it departs from that station.

Basically, the whole schedule is a weekend schedule with a few added trains and adjustments (for example, the 4:20am out of Speonk runs to Long Island City instead of ending at Jamaica). 

I might've missed it, but those 78XX trains to Hunterspoint Avenue & LIC are from which branch? (I see those 87XX trains are from the Montauk Branch).

If those aren't trains that start at Jamaica, then I have no clue....

It isn't stupid just because you don't know the reason. There's overnight track work so 4:50 train has to be timed to meet an eastbound equipment train in a single-track section. 

18 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

It isn't stupid just because you don't know the reason. There's overnight track work so 4:50 train has to be timed to meet an eastbound equipment train in a single-track section. 

Just out of curiosity where is the single track section on the KO branch overnights?

57 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Just out of curiosity where is the single track section on the KO branch overnights?

I suppose I did leave that inference open; I simplified because I was getting ready to hit the rack, here's the scoop: The extra time exists to meet at JS and Wyandanch (it's a hold over from a project last year that was completed during the COVID service reductions AFAIK). The times cannot be changed because Queens to Divide is scheduled for single tracking overnight and the 4:50 train is timed to meet a train at Divide (8006). In summary: the time was stretched for an old meet with 5300 and the time cannot be removed now because of the planned single track in another area without running the train so much earlier that it would be useless (since the EQ trains is holding up the section Queens to Divide in front of 8006).

Edited by Jsunflyguy
a word

11 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

https://www.radio.com/1010wins/news/state/ex-lirr-employee-charged-with-filing-false-inspection-report

Sigh...I don't understand why these track inspectors and track maintainers seem to be the most corrupt departments within the MTA. They need to rebuild these departments from the top to the bottom 

It's nuts. I heard about some other news report where workers were using an (MTA) credit card for personal things like building a charging station to charge someone's Tesla. lol

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's nuts. I heard about some other news report where workers were using an (MTA) credit card for personal things like building a charging station to charge someone's Tesla. lol

This was true. John Samuelson, TWU International President made a big stink about it at the last board meeting to the Office of the Inspector General because I think the Tesla charging station was built by MTA management and supervision. There were MTA-billed man hours put into building it, etc. and that there was never a report or even a reprimand when someone found out and ordered them to take it out. His whole point was that the OIG goes after hourly workers and makes a big stink that it goes into the media but is usually quiet about stuff that happens at the management level.

6 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

This was true. John Samuelson, TWU International President made a big stink about it at the last board meeting to the Office of the Inspector General because I think the Tesla charging station was built by MTA management and supervision. There were MTA-billed man hours put into building it, etc. and that there was never a report or even a reprimand when someone found out and ordered them to take it out. His whole point was that the OIG goes after hourly workers and makes a big stink that it goes into the media but is usually quiet about stuff that happens at the management level.

Never a good sign if your best defense is "well, the other guy is breaking the rules too"

Rode the 4:29 to West Hempstead today.. emptiest peak train I ever ridden on the LIRR, puzzling they decided to waste a Penn slot on a WH train during this service cut. Hardly any people was on the train.

Also while my train was coming out of the East River tunnel, their was an MU shuttle to Jamaica coming from Hunters point, wtf? Turns out during the PM rush has FOUR shuttles from Hunters point that terminate at Jamaica. The shuttle I saw was literally carrying air, only seen ONE passenger on the whole train.

The 2:37 to Speonk has good ridership when I rode it though, and that's with a double decker train.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Rode the 4:29 to West Hempstead today.. emptiest peak train I ever ridden on the LIRR, puzzling they decided to waste a Penn slot on a WH train during this service cut. Hardly any people was on the train.

Also while my train was coming out of the East River tunnel, their was an MU shuttle to Jamaica coming from Hunters point, wtf? Turns out during the PM rush has FOUR shuttles from Hunters point that terminate at Jamaica. The shuttle I saw was literally carrying air, only seen ONE passenger on the whole train.

The 2:37 to Speonk has good ridership when I rode it though, and that's with a double decker train.

How's volume normally on the WH line? Pre-pandemic, was it a busy line?

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

How's volume normally on the WH line? Pre-pandemic, was it a busy line?

Considering its constantly precarious position (it seems like it's always next on the chopping block), I'd say it wasn't. Not helping matters are the single-tracking and short platforms (Lakeview being a particularly egregious case, as the only ways to expand the station in any sense are to either grade-separate and stack or conduct street closures and property acquisition). The way it connects with the Atlantic and Montauk Branches does no favors (if you're familiar with Rogers Junction, well, it's similar to that).

21 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

It's 3 shuttles and a Montauk Branch train in each direction. (4:20am out of Speonk, and 4:05pm out of LIC)

15 hours ago, Lex said:

Considering its constantly precarious position (it seems like it's always next on the chopping block), I'd say it wasn't. Not helping matters are the single-tracking and short platforms (Lakeview being a particularly egregious case, as the only ways to expand the station in any sense are to either grade-separate and stack or conduct street closures and property acquisition). The way it connects with the Atlantic and Montauk Branches does no favors (if you're familiar with Rogers Junction, well, it's similar to that).

Ahh, got it, that is good to know. That explains why it seems to have relatively few trips per day!

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Abysmal... Pre-crisis.

Let's just say the West Hempstead line makes the Far Rockaway line resemble Times Square.

That's so funny...I know a few folks who live in WH and commute to the city (or at least they did before covid), so i assumed their trains were full of working professionals 

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Abysmal... Pre-crisis.

Let's just say the West Hempstead line makes the Far Rockaway line resemble Times Square.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what needs to be done to salvage it, short of addressing how everything connects and whether or not it serves Manhattan (which I'd like to use the Atlantic Branch for, though that would require significant investment).