Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Almost 9 miles, according to google maps... and (spread out) passenger distribution doesn't help with the route's runtime either.... It's one reason I would cut it back to Union Tpke.... Extending the Q88 to Ridgewood would make it a "superroute".....

I'd prefer to keep it as is, or to cut it back to Hillside. Union Turnpike is a bit too far back to cut it to - you've got lots of Q43 riders xferring at Hillside. Cutting the 88 back to Hillside could provide an excuse for a Q1 boost, though.

He's one of these folks on here (there's someone else on here that tends to do this as well) that clamors for, or tries to come up w/ ways to have *some* type of bus service directly serve the Whitestone Cinemas.... That's all this is.

Ugh. First we have discussions about routing buses to serve Skyview, and then this nonsense about the Multiplex...

Both of these are small retail locations that don't generate a lot of demand. Half of Skyview is boarded up, and the Multiplex is more than well-served by the Q25. If the Multiplex is hard or impossible to service with transit, then that's the Multiplex's own damn fault - no need to punish other riders by sending buses there.

Edited by bobtehpanda

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the case with any route... increasing the length can decrease its reliability.

I don't see why everyone wants to extend it so bad,,, it is fine the way it is.... if it ain't broke don't fix it...

That's exactly why I opposed Q23's (the user) proposal to extend it to Middle Village to replace Q38E. And I disagree with any extension of it although I wouldn't mind if it was straightened to continue down the Horace Harding until Springfield Boulevard if the Q64 was extended to Oakland Gardens via 73 Avenue.

The Q88 is unreliable at times sometimes I waited 30 minutes for a bus to show up. If anything keep the Q88 the way it is because extending it will decrease reliability.

One time when I used it I had to wait for like 10 minutes at the minimum for it. I mean the funny thing is that that bus comes when it wants to. The Q88 takes a long time to come and when it finally does come, there's another Q88 right behind it. It's just like the Q38 except without that loop.

Q15a can serve it but due to space you would be wise to extend it past flushing to rego park or whatever.

Who would even use a bus from Rego Park to Whitestone? And I said have the Q34 run from Bay Terrace to Flushing via Willets Point Boulevard as it has no purpose operating alongside the Q25 to Jamaica.

Who would even use a bus from Rego Park to Whitestone? And I said have the Q34 run from Bay Terrace to Flushing via Willets Point Boulevard as it has no purpose operating alongside the Q25 to Jamaica.

Well, splitting the route and having former Q34 runs on Kissena terminate at Main St with a Q25 label doesn't really do anything besides screw anyone who actually rides from Whitestone to Kissena (which is more than plausible, given the hospitals, apartments, and Queens College that the Kissena routes serve.)

I'd prefer to keep it as is, or to cut it back to Hillside. Union Turnpike is a bit too far back to cut it to - you've got lots of Q43 riders xferring at Hillside. Cutting the 88 back to Hillside could provide an excuse for a Q1 boost, though.

Ugh. First we have discussions about routing buses to serve Skyview, and then this nonsense about the Multiplex...

Both of these are small retail locations that don't generate a lot of demand. Half of Skyview is boarded up, and the Multiplex is more than well-served by the Q25. If the Multiplex is hard or impossible to service with transit, then that's the Multiplex's own damn fault - no need to punish other riders by sending buses there.

1) Sure there are lots of riders xferring at Hillside.... The lot of them tend to do so to 27's though (from what I notice).

It's really only schoolkids that I see xferring off 43's to get to 88's.... Now I won't say the 88 carries air b/w Jamaica (av) & Union Tpke, but I find that SB/EB (however you wanna look at it) Q88's tend to die at Union Tpke, and the amt. of commuters tend to pick up at union tpke for the 88 specifically (over the 27) in the other direction..... Those that take 88's from Jamaica av I find, tend to do so simply b/c it came before the 27 (to get to either hillside av, union tpke, or somewhere b/w where 73rd & Jamaica).....

In a nutshell, I'm saying the "unique" ridership pretty much starts at union tpke, due west, on the Q88...... If the goal is dwindle how much the route lags from it's current end-to-end routing, I would go for shortening it at Union Tpke over Hillside - Simply b/c the Q27 is still available on Springfield, and from what I notice, there are actually more SE Queens folks that take Q27's north & west of union tpke, than SE Queens folks that take Q88's north & west of union tpke......

Your suggestion of stopping it short at Hillside I'm not writing off as a bad one though.....

2) Yeah, he has long had a nact for making inane suggestions like that....

Difference is, on this forum, he doesn't get the concurrence that he gets on SC when he posts his suggestions of sorts.....

I know I am not the first person to bring this up but how about instead of terminating Q47s at Atlas, it gets sent to Myrtle Avenue/80 Street where the Q29 terminates. Nobody uses the Q47 to Atlas and it is also a bad place to terminate a bus and a decent amount of people get on the Q29 at Myrtle Avenue. Just saying because when I see a Q47 at Atlas, there is no one using it or at most maybe 1 or 2 people and it layovers a long time too.

I know I am not the first person to bring this up but how about instead of terminating Q47s at Atlas, it gets sent to Myrtle Avenue/80 Street where the Q29 terminates. Nobody uses the Q47 to Atlas and it is also a bad place to terminate a bus and a decent amount of people get on the Q29 at Myrtle Avenue. Just saying because when I see a Q47 at Atlas, there is no one using it or at most maybe 1 or 2 people and it layovers a long time too.

No.

So what if its one to two people, its the very first stop and its not in a packed area.

Nobody uses the Q47, yeah right, then why does everyone towards Glendale that hasn't finished their trip ALWAYS get off for Q54's?I still have yet to see one rider transfer to the Q29 from the Q47 and vice versa.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

QCM to 188th St. Springfield needs its local stops, and not sure how LTDs on 73rd would go with people.

The Q88 and Q88 Limited would be weekdays only. Here's how I would do it.

I would increase the Q88 Local Headway to every 6 minutes. Instead of 17.3 buses per hour, it would be 10 buses per hour. The Q88 would still operate as it is.

The 0.3 bus per hour would be cut. Since the bus trip from Queens Village to Metro/Fresh Pond is 63 minutes on the limited with 7 buses per hour, you would have a limited bus every 9 minutes. That is still way better then current Q38 headways on the Eliot Avenue Segment. Since the MTA doesn't pay any damn attention to bus company at all and slices it any time it can, and pays more attention to NYCT, a Q88 along Eliot would still have better headways then the Q38. Eliot Avenue needs better headways, formerly the Q38 was every 9 minutes AM and 10 PM, now up to 14 in the AM, and 15 PM.

The Q88 Limited would operate every 10 minutes Middays, and every 9 minutes PM rush, and every 15 minutes evenings (after 9:30 PM every other bus would terminate at QCM), and every 11 minutes in Saturdays (buses would not be taken off the Q88 Limited

The Q88 Limited would have a span from 5:30 AM to 12:00 AM in both directions, and Saturdays from 6:00 AM to 10:30 PM in both directions

The Q88 Limited would be local west/south of QB

Sundays, the Q88 Local would be extended to Middle Village, a journey almost 70 minutes long.

Buses would be every 20 minutes all day, making all stops

No.

So what if its one to two people, its the very first stop and its not in a packed area.

Nobody uses the Q47, yeah right, then why does everyone towards Glendale that hasn't finished their trip ALWAYS get off for Q54's?I still have yet to see one rider transfer to the Q29 from the Q47 and vice versa.

Are you retarded? I said nobody uses it at ATLAS, not the full route, read correctly next time. No to you. And no one transfers to Q47 from Q29 because there is no reason to. They use the Q29 since it is the route closest to them. If the Q47 went to Myrtle Avenue, it would have more ridership than it does terminating at that dead mall. And Myrtle Avenue/80 Street isn't a packed area either.

Are you retarded? I said nobody uses it at ATLAS, not the full route, read correctly next time No to you. And no one transfers to Q47 from Q29 because there is no reason to. They use the Q29 since it is the route closest to them. If the Q47 went to Myrtle Avenue, it would have more ridership than it does terminating at that dead mall. And Myrtle Avenue/80 Street isn't a packed area either.

Please, I use the Q47 every day to know how packed it gets, I know what you said.

Did you read my comment clearly.

You said 1 to 2 passengers at the stop, which even though you are exaggerating a bit (its more like 4, even more during school hors and the rush).

I said that its the very first stop, so of course they wouldn't be full yet.

You said no one uses the Q47 to Atlas, that isn't true, but you have people going to Glendale. The Bus run time is 45 minutes, buses shoot out every 8 minutes during the rush, which means more unecessary buses. The MTA knows what they're doing with the Q47.

You admitted that no one transfers from the Q29 to the Q47 and vice versa, so what makes you think the residents are going to use the Q47. You tell me.

Please, I use the Q47 every day to know how packed it gets, I know what you said.

Did you read my comment clearly.

You said 1 to 2 passengers at the stop, which even though you are exaggerating a bit (its more like 4, even more during school hors and the rush).

I said that its the very first stop, so of course they wouldn't be full yet.

You said no one uses the Q47 to Atlas, that isn't true, but you have people going to Glendale. The Bus run time is 45 minutes, buses shoot out every 8 minutes during the rush, which means more unecessary buses. The MTA knows what they're doing with the Q47.

You admitted that no one transfers from the Q29 to the Q47 and vice versa, so what makes you think the residents are going to use the Q47. You tell me.

I already said they use the Q29 because that's the route close to them. And few people would want to walk to catch the Q47 from Myrtle Avenue. So if it was sent there, then more people would opt to use it. And 4 people, big difference (sarcasm). Also except with having the Q47 end at a dead mall, yes they are running it properly. Especially combining it with the former Q45 was a smart decision. But still, it's not much of an extension anyways and it also enables a direct transfer to the Q55.

Two proposals now:

Q52 extensions to Woodside and Far Rockaway to improve access to Rockaway:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e2d5318b9a42c9453

Q67 reroute to Forest Hills because it has no purpose going to Middle Village since everyone uses the Q39 which is more direct and the route currently is barely used plus I straightened the Q67 a bit by eliminating the 65 Place -> 53 Drive -> Maurice Avenue segment:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e2d5dd9f2da68dcbc

Isn't the reason that the Q52 isn't at Woodside because that segment of the Q53 is the slowest part?

Well Broadway gets really jammed around Moore Terminal. Hence why the Woodside bound segment was rerouted to do Roosevelt Avenue

-> 39 Avenue -> 61 Street instead of continuing down Broadway and turning onto 61 Street. 

The Q88 doesn't need to be extended. By extending it, you would make the route more unreliable. Just give the Q88 a Limited and call it a day.

Yes! Someone who agrees. But I don't think the loads on the Q88 are enough to justify a limited though.

Two proposals now:

Q52 extensions to Woodside and Far Rockaway to improve access to Rockaway:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e2d5318b9a42c9453

Q67 reroute to Forest Hills because it has no purpose going to Middle Village since everyone uses the Q39 which is more direct and the route currently is barely used plus I straightened the Q67 a bit by eliminating the 65 Place -> 53 Drive -> Maurice Avenue segment:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e2d5dd9f2da68dcbc

The Q67 idea isn't gonna fly by. First, you are elminating service to an area not served by regular bus service. The Q18 doesn't go anywhere near. Just leave it as it is, eventually weekend ridership will increase with guide-a-rides installed (that and the fact that there are never Q67 schedules leaves people to think there isn't Q67 service). Discontinuing service to the (M) train will do more harm. Overall your Q67 plan will deter ridership more then help.

Speaking if streamlining, the weekend Q67 should go on the LIE between 47 st and Maurice Middle Village Bound Because there is no ridership coming from that area on 48 st > 55 Ave > 58 street > LIE Service > Maurice, which would be LIE Main> Ramp > Maurice.

The Q67 idea isn't gonna fly by. First, you are elminating service to an area not served by regular bus service. The Q18 doesn't go anywhere near. Just leave it as it is, eventually weekend ridership will increase with guide-a-rides installed (that and the fact that there are never Q67 schedules leaves people to think there isn't Q67 service).

Oh and speaking of the Q18, straighten that route to stay on 65 Place. Having it run on 69 Street between 50 Avenue and 53 Avenue makes the route unnecessarily crooked and increases run time for no reason.

Oh and speaking of the Q18, straighten that route to stay on 65 Place. Having it run on 69 Street between 50 Avenue and 53 Avenue makes the route unnecessarily crooked and increases run time for no reason.

Actually that is needed (the detour).

I really wonder if Q90 actually rides these routes that he's commenting about...

- about the 47 to Myrtle idea:

it's kind of redundant, the 29 is there already... I actually know quite a few people who do transfer to the 54 from the 47 (myself being ONE OF THEM on occasion). and Q23 lives in the area, he knows it very well.

- Q52 to Woodside

I think this is redundant too... Having ridden the whole 53 route on numerous occasions, bobtehpanda is correct, the Woodside-QCM segment is the slowest part, loads of traffic and the buses get packed along the segment..

Adding the 52 isn't gonna help the traffic. Must I also say, the whole idea won't work UNLESS the MTA fixes the damn 52/53 schedules... The 52 always shows up a minute behind the 53, and the 53 takes the load... ain't no use of extending the 52 unless you get the schedules done right.

Idk what to think about the Far Rock extension tbh... but it is redundant to the 22 which already goes there...

- about the Q67 idea

Q23 is right, you are depriving an area of no other service from their bus service, that is the LAST thing you wanna do! 

and again, your routing is redundant. It ends right with the Q23... If you wanna extend it to somewhere, terminate it somewhere no other bus does, unless it is a terminal.

- the Q88 idea

you ALL are beating this like a dead horse!

I already said, if you extend the route, its gonna make it unreliable! and it makes the route unnecessarily LONG. (It reminds me of the N20/N22, those extremely long NICE routes)

I do like the idea of a Q88 LTD, but I don't like the idea of extending it...

I think if you wanna tinker with the Q38, divide it in two.

Make the Eliot portion go somewhere like Ridgewood (you get the idea)

and send the Penelope portion to Flushing, and possibly reroute it off some of those narrow streets, that make the Q38 as unreliable as it is!

EDIT: With your Q67 routing proposal, if it was ever implimented, the MTA would reroute it to Atlas probably, just like they did with the Q54.

Edited by Astoria Line

Why though? It never made sense to me.

If you've ridden the route, you know that the portion on 69 and Calamus and 50 Avenue is where you catch the grease, to sort of speak

(However there is more ridership at the 50 Avenue stop to the Q47).

I really wonder if Q90 actually rides these routes that he's commenting about...

it's kind of redundant, the 29 is there already... I actually know quite a few people who do transfer to the 54 from the 47 (myself being ONE OF THEM on occasion). and Q23 lives in the area, he knows it very well.

- Q52 to Woodside

I think this is redundant too... Having ridden the whole 53 route on numerous occasions, bobtehpanda is correct, the Woodside-QCM segment is the slowest part, loads of traffic and the buses get packed along the segment..

Adding the 52 isn't gonna help the traffic. Must I also say, the whole idea won't work UNLESS the MTA fixes the damn 52/53 schedules... The 52 always shows up a minute behind the 53, and the 53 takes the load... ain't no use of extending the 52 unless you get the schedules done right.

Idk what to think about the Far Rock extension tbh... but it is redundant to the 22 which already goes there...

- about the Q67 idea

Q23 is right, you are depriving an area of no other service from their bus service, that is the LAST thing you wanna do! 

and again, your routing is redundant. It ends right with the Q23... If you wanna extend it to somewhere, terminate it somewhere no other bus does, unless it is a terminal.

- the Q88 idea

I already said, if you extend the route, its gonna make it unreliable! and it makes the route unnecessarily LONG. (It reminds me of the N20/N22, those extremely long NICE routes)

and send the Penelope portion to Flushing, and possibly reroute it off some of those narrow streets, that make the Q38 as unreliable as it is!

EDIT: With your Q67 routing proposal, if it was ever implimented, the MTA would reroute it to Atlas probably, just like they did with the Q54.

- Q52 to Woodside

- about the Q67 idea

- the Q88 idea

Q38- That's why I took my proposed Q51 (which would replace the Q38P) off Penelope Avenue and rerouted it down Furmanville Avenue.

Q47-Well Atlas is a dead mall like you yourself say millions of times. No one even uses the Q47 there. And if they are transferring to the Q54, they do it at 80 Street and Metropolitan Avenue. Plus the route isn't altered, it is just a slight extension because Atlas is a bad place to end a bus. And a decent amount of people board the Q29 at Myrtle Avenue and some of those people would probably use the Q47 if it went there.

Q52-The Q52 is not redundant to the Q53. It's actually a branch of it technically. Also it is not redundant to the Q22. Otherwise the Q53 would also be redundant to it too which it isn't

Q67-Well it's better than sending it to Middle Village where it loses ridership to the Q39 and by straightening the Q18 those people on the section I'm leaving out to straighten the Q67 would still be able to take that bus. Also just because it uses the Q23 terminal doesn't make it redundant to it either.

Q88-I have mixed thoughts about limited. As good as limited sounds, I'm not sure if the demand is there for it. But we are in full agreement that any extension made to the Q88 would be a disaster. Making that route longer makes it's reliability even worse than it is now. That route has horrible headways and bunching. When the bus finally comes, there is another one right behind it.