Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I though of it while reading te QM2/QM20 thread. I would propose the QM4 (I would've made the QM1 do that, but that route is a lost cause) to make those current QM18 stops on Queens Blvd (and also possibly that QM10 stop on Woodhaven Blvd/LIE before going on the LIE service ramp. This would help when Queens Blvd (subway line) is screwed. Travel time for the most part would stay the same or increase by up to 4-5 minutes. The off peak buses would make these stops, as well as weekend buses. Plus those Yellowstone folks that used to take the QM12 off peak hours would opt for the QM4 instead of the subway.

So the QM4 would make extra stops at

67 Avenue/Queens Blvd

63 Drive/Queens Blvd

Hoffman Drive/Woodhaven Blvd

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Simple via college point Blvd now woodhaven Blvd has a direct keyword DIRECT connection to flushing.

If you're talking about a Q38P replacement using College Point Blowvard so it can terminate at Main Street/41 Road then that's a big NO. There isn't enough space for another bus route to terminate at the Q58 terminal. Even the Q58 by itself has trouble with using up it's terminal because when I was there I would see three buses bunched up there. That was a reason why I sent my Q51 down Main Street to terminate directly at the Main Street (7) Station, where most buses that end in Flushing terminate as there is enough room there.

Main Street has enough room for buses.

I have never laughed so hard. Are you actually serious?

He's probably never even been to Main Street pfft.

I think he suggests routes to go places, but he's actually never been to them and just looks at maps instead, and you know how that goes  :rolleyes:

Main has enough room for buses, the problem is not room itself, its the friggin traffic...

The Q38 doesnt UTILIZE Woodhaven

But it crosses it meaning now you can just transfer to a direct bus via redirected Q34 rerouted to middle village via college point and 108th/LIE. Q34 is probably useless duplicating the Q25. It may end up with more ridership as a bay terrace< flushing< middle village route do you even know how to read posts?

If you're talking about a Q38P replacement using College Point Blowvard so it can terminate at Main Street/41 Road then that's a big NO. There isn't enough space for another bus route to terminate at the Q58 terminal. Even the Q58 by itself has trouble with using up it's terminal because when I was there I would see three buses bunched up there. That was a reason why I sent my Q51 down Main Street to terminate directly at the Main Street (7) Station, where most buses that end in Flushing terminate as there is enough room there.

Why you think it would just go through I said combine as in pass through flushing try to read but apparently many here are incapable of that simple feat.

He's probably never even been to Main Street pfft.

I think he suggests routes to go places, but he's actually never been to them and just looks at maps instead, and you know how that goes  :rolleyes:

Main has enough room for buses, the problem is not room itself, its the friggin traffic...

NICE BS try again.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

But it crosses it meaning now you can just transfer to a direct bus via redirected Q34 rerouted to middle village via college point and 108th/LIE. Q34 is probably useless duplicating the Q25. It may end up with more ridership as a bay terrace< flushing< middle village route do you even know how to read posts?

Why you think it would just go through I said combine as in pass through flushing try to read but apparently many here are incapable of that simple feat.

NICE BS try again.

"NICE BS try again".... wtf is that supposed to mean?

Never quoted you or mentioned anything about you either "Mr. transitmaster"

me and bobtehpanda were talking about Q90..

Edited by Astoria Line

Damn I really need to pay attention sorry I barely keep up with this thread anymore. But you are right about another bus not being able to terminate there I can't edit the post sorry.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Do you not realize that the Q34 is a supplement to the Q25? Do YOU even know how to comprehend posts?

NICE BS try again.

Damn I really need to pay attention sorry I barely keep up with this thread anymore. But you are right about another bus not being able to terminate there I can't edit the post sorry.

Oh the hypocrisy is everywhere.

Do you not realize that the Q34 is a supplement to the Q25? Do YOU even know how to comprehend posts?

Yes but although Q34 does supplement the Q25, there's no point of having it do so. The Q34 has horrible headways (about 20 minutes) while the Q25 headways are no longer than 10 minutes. It's better just to truncate the Q34 to Flushing from Jamaica and extend it to Bay Terrace from Whitestone via Willets Point Boulevard and boost the Q25 like adding weekend and off-peak limited service because there's no point in sending that Q34 to Jamaica if it has bad headways. Almost certainly if it was a Bay Terrace-Flushing route, it would do better.

Not reading through the posts...I wonder if this plan is at all feasible (it would require breaking up the Q38).

The branch I would keep with the Q38 would operate as follows.

From a western terminus and turn-around shared with the Q67, follow the Q38 route on the Penelope branch to 108 Street...then, head north on 108 Street to the Horace Harding Expressway, operate up College Point Boulevard, but without serving Main Street, past Roosevelt Avenue, to Northern Boulevard. Continue past Main Street (a stop by the former RKO Keith provides a connection to and from the Q25, Q44, and Q65 to the Sky View Center, and follow the Q25 route up to the Whitestone Multiplex, terminating on the near side of 28 Avenue and Ulmer Street westbound.

Turnaround would be either around the multiplex or in the College Point Depot (the eastern terminus is just short of the depot's front door). Return via the Q25 and same route/Q38 route, terminating at the Q67 terminus.

This is designed to give direct access to Sky View Center on a major route; I predict that new ridership would result from access to this mall (at the corner of Roosevelt and College Point).

As for the Eliot branch of the Q38, I would route it to Ridgewood Terminal via Fresh Pond Road and Myrtle Avenue, given the lack of a suitable area to turn it around prior and the need to service a commercial area on the southern end, unless Pergament (it still owns Metro Mall) were to give permission to the MTA to turn around buses there...if so, I would turn the Q38 within Metro Mall's parking lot. This service would be numbered Q68.

What I am not sure is if the Q68 should simply be turned around where it is on the current Q38 branch, or if it should be extended up into northern Corona via 99 and National Streets, and then the Q23 route to the Q49 terminus.

From the east, I would propose extending the Q12 one stop to Sky View Center...in what should be cost neutral or even saving since 39 Avenue does not have to be used for relays, and the deadhead distance is even shorter.

Edited by aemoreira81

If NYCT and MTAB was merged, I would do the Q88 along the Q38 Northern Portion (every other bus middays, and weekends, rush hours and evenings every bus), because in the process, this would free up space at CP, although would make QV more tight (no current bus depot is both CNG and diesel for the local fleet at the moment that are 40 footers , West Farms has diesels but they are 60 feet), or It could be a split between Fresh Pond and QV (about 7 extra bus are needed to run this Q88). It is a long route, but it doesnt get delayed. No the only problem would be how to serve the northern portion east of Junction Blvd (unless the current Q11/21 is extended to Corona)

So it goes like this 

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e270b257cc371e663&msa=0&ll=40.742965,-73.811731&spn=0.040643,0.092182

Or the other option

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e270dc06be702ef9a&msa=0&ll=40.723746,-73.881855&spn=0.020327,0.046091

(The Q67 would do the same thing I said as in option one)

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Yes but although Q34 does supplement the Q25, there's no point of having it do so. The Q34 has horrible headways (about 20 minutes) while the Q25 headways are no longer than 10 minutes. It's better just to truncate the Q34 to Flushing from Jamaica and extend it to Bay Terrace from Whitestone via Willets Point Boulevard and boost the Q25 like adding weekend and off-peak limited service because there's no point in sending that Q34 to Jamaica if it has bad headways. Almost certainly if it was a Bay Terrace-Flushing route, it would do better.

Why extend it to Bay Terrace if the Q28 goes there from Flushing.... I don't think the demand is there...

Those 25s bunch like crazy too...

Why extend it to Bay Terrace if the Q28 goes there from Flushing.... I don't think the demand is there...

The Q25 bunches a lot but I think the MTA should have some Q25's start at Main St Roosevelt Ave because there are long lines for that bus and sometimes during rush hour you can wait 15, 20 minutes before a bus would come.

Actually the demand to Bay Terrace is pretty good. Otherwise the Q28 wouldn't operate 10 minute headways or overnight. Yes the Q25 does bunch terribly. When I used it, I missed a Q25 but then one was right behind it and I was at Roosevelt Avenue/Main Street (what a coincidence). Plus because there is so much traffic on that part of Main Street, that's why there needs to be more limited service. Weekday peak hours. I say daily at all times except late nights is when Q25LTD should operate.

The Q25 bunches a lot but I think the MTA should have some Q25's start at Main St Roosevelt Ave because there are long lines for that bus and sometimes during rush hour you can wait 15, 20 minutes before a bus would come.

The major chokepoint on the line is 127 Street and 23 Avenue---buses cannot travel bidirectionally down 23 Avenue between 127 and 130 Streets in College Point. This is where the DOT needs to fix the situation vis a vis traffic management (if a southbound driver sees a northbound bus coming, that driver has to divert to College Point Boulevard and 25 Avenue). This would be my suggestion:

1. Eliminate all parking on 127 Street between 14 and 23 Avenues (most of this is industrial).

2. Convert 23 Avenue into a one-way westbound-only street between 130 Street and College Point Boulevard (equivalent of 122 Street).

3. Convert 127 Street into a one-way southbound-only street between 23 Avenue and 25 Avenue.

4. Install a traffic light at the intersection of 23 Avenue and 127 Street.

Southbound buses would use 25 Avenue to travel between 127 and 130/Ulmer Streets (127 Street does not dead-end until after 25 Road). A routing to 130 Street is out of the question because of the dead-ending or interrupting of streets between 127 and 130 Streets at both 22 and 18 Avenues.

During the rush hours, only Q25 Limited trips should service College Point, Q25 local trips would terminate at the Whitestone Multiplex.

Edited by aemoreira81

If NYCT and MTAB was merged, I would do the Q88 along the Q38 Northern Portion (every other bus middays, and weekends, rush hours and evenings every bus), because in the process, this would free up space at CP, although would make QV more tight (no current bus depot is both CNG and diesel for the local fleet at the moment that are 40 footers , West Farms has diesels but they are 60 feet), or It could be a split between Fresh Pond and QV (about 7 extra bus are needed to run this Q88). It is a long route, but it doesnt get delayed. No the only problem would be how to serve the northern portion east of Junction Blvd (unless the current Q11/21 is extended to Corona)

So it goes like this 

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e270b257cc371e663&msa=0&ll=40.742965,-73.811731&spn=0.040643,0.092182

Or the other option

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e270dc06be702ef9a&msa=0&ll=40.723746,-73.881855&spn=0.020327,0.046091

(The Q67 would do the same thing I said as in option one)

Why would it go up 69th, and not pick up Eliot from Fresh Pond? 

Why would it go up 69th, and not pick up Eliot from Fresh Pond? 

Because then it cant loop around at the (M) train.

And if I just terminate it without going to the (M), thats not gonna go good with residents. The Q67 would instead pick those riders up (Most go onto the Penelope Avenue Section.