Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Sending the 38 into Ridgewood would create demand, because it would be a faster alternative to the 58. Things are slow enough heading that way further into Queens, including having to transfer, so more direct routes are what's needed.

Nobody on the 38E wants Ridgewood (or most). The amount of riders transferring to a Q38 from the 58 is about a SRO load a day. Thats not demand. Sure you'll have those 58 riders south of Metro take it. The Eliot Riders go to Elmhurst and LeFrak, or if they actual need to go into Ridgewood/ Fresh Pond, either Rentar Plaza or the (M) , and that's it. You arent getting anything else. The Q38E wouldnt be an alternative, its too infrequent, I'd rather take the Q58 (coming from a rider that frequents the two a lot). 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

knew it I knew you were gonna say something about Q16/48 merger. I would have Q48 travel on national at and corona ave granting easier airport access to the corona area. Then via 51st after then Maurice at rush hour via 55th off peak skipping that area to meeker ave to Williamsburg at offpeak hours to LES replacing B39. B39 retains peak service to allow this q48 to skip that traffic hell. Offpeak frequency adjusted to every 15 mins instead of 20. Every other trip absorbs B39 going to LES. That is a hub as well.

wait what..

we might as well send the Q38 to the bronx or something too...

Edited by Astoria Line

knew it I knew you were gonna say something about Q16/48 merger. I would have Q48 travel on national at and corona ave granting easier airport access to the corona area. Then via 51st after then Maurice at rush hour via 55th off peak skipping that area to meeker ave to Williamsburg at offpeak hours to LES replacing B39. B39 retains peak service to allow this q48 to skip that traffic hell. Offpeak frequency adjusted to every 15 mins instead of 20. Every other trip absorbs B39 going to LES. That is a hub as well.

That is a terrible idea. Why the hell does a bus need to go through Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan?

That is a terrible idea. Why the hell does a bus need to go through Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan?

The only Q29 Extention I see feasible is a merge of the Q33

(like B35 said previously, although I don't agree with all parts of that plan).

I don't agree with any of it....  But realizing how frugal the MTA is, if the Q70 flourishes, I just can't see them leaving the (cut-backed) 33 as a standalone route....

That's exactly was I was saying to QJT but he's too much of a stubborn ass to even bother read the criticism he gets and then he says we don't read his posts properly.

I didn't read that full back & forth the two of you had in the Q90 thread (that was later merged with the Queens thread here), but I hope he's not back on that crap again.... He used to claim we didn't *understand* his ideas when he first started posting on here.... smh.....

...I have been saying for the longest to split the Q38 and extend the 63rd Drive/Penelope half to Flushing and the Eliot end to Ridgewood... but nooo I get called "selfish" for that.... 

You got called "selfish" for sending one half of the Q38 to Flushing in particular...

You later admitted to saying such a move would benefit you, so what are you on here boo-hooing about.....

Is there a point to the Q16/Q48 merger, besides merging two routes for the sake of merging? The Q48 should really be extended or merged into a route that either has transfers to lots of other routes, or goes to some other transit hub besides Flushing (preferably both). The Q16 doesn't fit that description, and of all places, Bayside and Fort Totten are not going to use an extremely slow local bus to the airport when they can call a livery cab.

Albeit not with the Q16, I remember another discussion on here where someone suggested combining the Q26 & the Q48..... Personally, I'm against merging any route in Flushing w/ the Q48......

For all I care, the 48 can be kicked out of LGA & go on to serve residential east elmhurst in both directions.... The *idea* behind having a route running from a major hub like Flushing to the airport is ideal, but actual Flushing/LGA travel is poor.... I also question how many ppl. are really xferring off other routes to get to the 48 for airport access....

The way the current 48 is used, it isn't all that much more than a backup of the 66 b/w Flushing & Corona (neighborhoods).....

Maurice av... Meeker av... Williamsburg.... LES.... WTF ?

None of this is necessary for the Q48.

Nobody on the 38E wants Ridgewood (or most). The amount of riders transferring to a Q38 from the 58 is about a SRO load a day. Thats not demand. Sure you'll have those 58 riders south of Metro take it. The Eliot Riders go to Elmhurst and LeFrak, or if they actual need to go into Ridgewood/ Fresh Pond, either Rentar Plaza or the (M) , and that's it. You arent getting anything else. The Q38E wouldnt be an alternative, its too infrequent, I'd rather take the Q58 (coming from a rider that frequents the two a lot). 

I happen to agree with EricB.... it isn't so much about riders on the eliot portion wanting Ridgewood, but more a way to divvy up the ridership for Ridgewood riders that want QB.... Even I was surprised at how many tend to take 58's from Ridgewood (say, b/w ridgewood terminal & metropolitan av) to Queens Blvd...... Too much strain is put on the Q58/LTD (of course, the Q59 only helps w/ the Grand av portion of the 58)..... Could also be a bit of a time saving measure as well for Ridgewood patrong wanting QB......

Yes, a Q38 extension to Flushing would benefit me and the many others living in the growing Asian community here in Rego Park who lack a direct bus route to Flushing. The Q38 as it is now does not serve much purpose, as it is always prone to delays, up to the point where many people would rather walk instead, and it does not serve any popular destination other than the Metro Mall. I think that my proposal for the Q38 will increase reliability (even if you keep the 20 minute headways) and generate new ridership for the route. The Eliot half of the Q38 does not warrant a direct link to Flushing at the time as 1) the people there have a direct transfer to the Q58 on 108th Street (which is why I extended that half of the route to 108th St) and 2) there is not as much of a growing Asian community in Lefrak City and Eliot Ave who would like a convenient  way to get to Flushing, and 3) there is not enough room to accommodate so many buses at the terminal as it is already sharing with the Q58. The Eliot half of the Q38 would be sent to Ridgewood to provide better transfer options; Myrtle-Wyckoff station with transfers to the L and M train and the variety of buses at the Ridgewood Terminal offers better transfer options than the Metro Mall with only the M, Q54 and Q67 buses. I chose not to extend the Penelope/63rd half of the Q38 also because there may not be enough room at Myrtle-Wyckoff to accommodate that many buses. I have been living here in Rego Park for over 10 years, and I have been riding and observing the Q38 ever since its days at Triboro Coach; in addition I know the areas I am talking about pretty well. So, if requesting better, more efficient and more meaningful bus service for my community is selfish, then yes I am very selfish

Routing the Q38 via Horace Harding and Main St could be another alternative; however, as discussed that would just end up duplicating the Q88 and Q44. Also, where would you terminate the Q38 if you were to do that? Making left turns on Main Street is highly unadvised due to the amount and nature of traffic on it. Additionally, the heavy traffic on Main Street can cause massive delays on the Q38. I  chose to route it via the Q58 College Point Blvd since it is the most direct and quickest way to get to Flushing from 108th Street.

My philosophy is that if the route is there, the route is fast, reliable, and serve popular destinations, people will ride it.. Public transportation services should both respond to and encourage ridership patterns. 

Yes, a Q38 extension to Flushing would benefit me and the many others living in the growing Asian community here in Rego Park who lack a direct bus route to Flushing.....

So, if requesting better, more efficient and more meaningful bus service for my community is selfish, then yes I am very selfish

Good, so then don't come on here on some "nooo I get called "selfish" for that....", as if it wasn't a selfish suggestion.....

As for the rest of what you said regarding the actual idea I didn't bother to quote, I'm not going over that with you again....

----------

* For the new-er comers (or whoever else) interested in seeing the prior discussion I'm talking about, See Here

(discussion continues on the next page from it Here as well)

Edited by B35 via Church

Yes, a Q38 extension to Flushing would benefit me and the many others living in the growing Asian community here in Rego Park who lack a direct bus route to Flushing. The Q38 as it is now does not serve much purpose, as it is always prone to delays, up to the point where many people would rather walk instead, and it does not serve any popular destination other than the Metro Mall. I think that my proposal for the Q38 will increase reliability (even if you keep the 20 minute headways) and generate new ridership for the route. The Eliot half of the Q38 does not warrant a direct link to Flushing at the time as 1) the people there have a direct transfer to the Q58 on 108th Street (which is why I extended that half of the route to 108th St) and 2) there is not as much of a growing Asian community in Lefrak City and Eliot Ave who would like a convenient way to get to Flushing, and 3) there is not enough room to accommodate so many buses at the terminal as it is already sharing with the Q58. The Eliot half of the Q38 would be sent to Ridgewood to provide better transfer options; Myrtle-Wyckoff station with transfers to the L and M train and the variety of buses at the Ridgewood Terminal offers better transfer options than the Metro Mall with only the M, Q54 and Q67 buses. I chose not to extend the Penelope/63rd half of the Q38 also because there may not be enough room at Myrtle-Wyckoff to accommodate that many buses. I have been living here in Rego Park for over 10 years, and I have been riding and observing the Q38 ever since its days at Triboro Coach; in addition I know the areas I am talking about pretty well. So, if requesting better, more efficient and more meaningful bus service for my community is selfish, then yes I am very selfish

Routing the Q38 via Horace Harding and Main St could be another alternative; however, as discussed that would just end up duplicating the Q88 and Q44. Also, where would you terminate the Q38 if you were to do that? Making left turns on Main Street is highly unadvised due to the amount and nature of traffic on it. Additionally, the heavy traffic on Main Street can cause massive delays on the Q38. I chose to route it via the Q58 College Point Blvd since it is the most direct and quickest way to get to Flushing from 108th Street.

My philosophy is that if the route is there, the route is fast, reliable, and serve popular destinations, people will ride it.. Public transportation services should both respond to and encourage ridership patterns.

Extending it all the way down to Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal is a bit overkill to me. Ok granted, it would have better connections to a cornucopia of routes there, but at the same time, it would just end up duplicating the Q58 (and to a lesser extent, the (M)) to get down there. Given the layout of the streets in that area, there's only a few streets that actually get to RIT straightforward, and even so, almost none are wide enough for bus traffic (Putnam Av & Madison St barely get the job done as it is).

Me personally, I would have it go down Fresh Pond Rd, then turn on Putnam Av, then on Forest Av and have it terminate on 67 Av where the B20 terminates at.

Extending it all the way down to Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal is a bit overkill to me. Ok granted, it would have better connections to a cornucopia of routes there, but at the same time, it would just end up duplicating the Q58 (and to a lesser extent, the (M)) to get down there. Given the layout of the streets in that area, there's only a few streets that actually get to RIT straightforward, and even so, almost none are wide enough for bus traffic (Putnam Av & Madison St barely get the job done as it is).

Me personally, I would have it go down Fresh Pond Rd, then turn on Putnam Av, then on Forest Av and have it terminate on 67 Av where the B20 terminates at.

Explain how it is overkill. It's supposed to actually relieve crowding on Q58s. Well I made my own suggestion about a Q38 split about a route called the Q51 which runs between Ridgewood and Flushing and it replaces Q38 from Middle Village to Rego Park. Plus lots of people use Q58 from Ridgewood to Flushing plus the Q58 is actually the second busiest route in Queens in case you don't know so an alternative would be helpful.

Explain how it is overkill. It's supposed to actually relieve crowding on Q58s. Well I made my own suggestion about a Q38 split about a route called the Q51 which runs between Ridgewood and Flushing and it replaces Q38 from Middle Village to Rego Park. Plus lots of people use Q58 from Ridgewood to Flushing plus the Q58 is actually the second busiest route in Queens in case you don't know so an alternative would be helpful.

I know all about the Q58 and all the buses in the Ridgewood-Glendale area...

You want an alternative...take the (M) train...given the length it takes for the Q58 to go from Flushing to Ridgewood, you really wouldn't save that much time (that's if traffic isn't screwed up on Corona Av or on Grand Av) over taking the (7) to the (M). The massive amount of people that rely on that line, coupled to the fact that half the streets can and have get backed up, plus the length of it would make the ruining time longer and long gaps in between buses. Adding another route to do the same thing would only add to the problems.

I stand by what I say...its not needed that far deep into Ridgewood when there's already a bus asks train that make almost the same stops to get there...

Well I was actually planning to have it run down Gates Ave and cut back the B13 (which is another pretty long route) but extending it to the B20 is another idea.. really the southern end of the Q38 on my agenda can still be changed, as long as it doesn't make the route too long...

I know all about the Q58 and all the buses in the Ridgewood-Glendale area...

You want an alternative...take the (M) train...given the length it takes for the Q58 to go from Flushing to Ridgewood, you really wouldn't save that much time (that's if traffic isn't screwed up on Corona Av or on Grand Av) over taking the (7) to the (M). The massive amount of people that rely on that line, coupled to the fact that half the streets can and have get backed up, plus the length of it would make the ruining time longer and long gaps in between buses. Adding another route to do the same thing would only add to the problems.

I stand by what I say...its not needed that far deep into Ridgewood when there's already a bus asks train that make almost the same stops to get there...

That would take significantly longer than just taking the Q58 to Flushing from Ridgewood and you would have to pay three times ($7.50) instead of once. Also I've been on Corona Avenue lots of times and traffic was rarely even mildly bad. It's Fresh Pond Road and Grand Avenue that are the problems with the Q58 since those streets are jammed during rush hours. Also this new Q51 would actually relieve crowding on Q58s (which is needed badly and that's why I specifically had it run on the route between RIT and Metropilitan Avenue) and plus it gives that long desired bus service between Rego Park and Flushing not to mention it uses a quicker route along less crowded streets (and replaces Q38 along that route). Also I get what your saying about terminations Q51s at Forest Avenue however it isn't the best place to terminate a bus. Plus I don't see many people using buses around the Forest Avenue (M) trains plus B20s are completely empty coming out of Forest Avenue.

Well I was actually planning to have it run down Gates Ave and cut back the B13 (which is another pretty long route) but extending it to the B20 is another idea.. really the southern end of the Q38 on my agenda can still be changed, as long as it doesn't make the route too long...

I wouldn't put the route on Gates Avenue as that street is too narrow. The B13 also is only because it is infrequent it can run down that section. Q51 would have much higher frequency than B13 since it creates new demand and is supplemental to the Q58.

Are there any other neighborhoods that don't have any direct access to each other?

Yes, Astoria and Williamsburg. How about instead of starting a new B32 route, the Q103 could just be extended to Williamsburg by making a left on Borden Avenue where Vernon Boulevard ends and then a right on 11 Street where it would continue to Williamsburg along the B32's planned routing. And also add weekend service and straighten out the Q103 slightly by eliminating that turnoff on 41 Avenue and Vernon Boulevard where it then turns onto 21 Street then 40 Avenue and back on Vernon. Seriously that little loop the Q103 makes there is unnecessary and shouldn't exist in the first place. I know what it's for which is to transfer to Q66, Q69 and Q100 limited on 21 Street but it's not like it's gonna kill people to walk that distance from Vernon. Plus the Q103 is very short so it is logical to extend it.

Yes, Astoria and Williamsburg. How about instead of starting a new B32 route, the Q103 could just be extended to Williamsburg by making a left on Borden Avenue where Vernon Boulevard ends and then a right on 11 Street where it would continue to Williamsburg along the B32's planned routing. And also add weekend service and straighten out the Q103 slightly by eliminating that turnoff on 41 Avenue and Vernon Boulevard where it then turns onto 21 Street then 40 Avenue and back on Vernon. Seriously that little loop the Q103 makes there is unnecessary and shouldn't exist in the first place. I know what it's for which is to transfer to Q66, Q69 and Q100 limited on 21 Street but it's not like it's gonna kill people to walk that distance from Vernon. Plus the Q103 is very short so it is logical to extend it.

I mentioned this before, and not even because of the routes length but because of ridership as well... the Q103 is starving for some sort of decent ridership and an extension like that could possibly help strengthen the route.

I mentioned this before, and not even because of the routes length but because of ridership as well... the Q103 is starving for some sort of decent ridership and an extension like that could possibly help strengthen the route.

It must have low ridership if it only operates on weekdays. Usually routes that operate only on weekdays do not have demand. And since demand is increasing greatly between Williamsburg and LIC (and even Astoria), it is logical to have a route that runs from Williamsburg to Astoria through Long Island City and that's by extending the Q103 instead of starting a new B32.

The Q103 doesn't hit all the major areas of LIC... 

The Q103 doesn't go to Court Sq or Queens Plaza (two major destinations....)

it only goes to Vernon-Jackson and Queensbridge..

If you can re-route it to serve ALL of those major destinations, it MAY benefit and see an increase of ridership...

BUT then again..

Don't fix something if it ain't broke...

May I also mention, Vernon Blvd ain't a major thoroughfare (only Costcos and the projects are there.... it is the industrial-like area of Astoria)

and the Q103 terminates by those PJs at 27th Av... it doesn't go to any major parts of Astoria either....

Edited by Astoria Line

It must have low ridership if it only operates on weekdays. Usually routes that operate only on weekdays do not have demand. And since demand is increasing greatly between Williamsburg and LIC (and even Astoria), it is logical to have a route that runs from Williamsburg to Astoria through Long Island City and that's by extending the Q103 instead of starting a new B32.

There needs to be major changes to the routes in the Long Island City and Astoria areas. All the Q100 routes except Q100LTD have poor ridership. If they were NYCT routes I know they would of changed. The Q100 is good but I really think it should follow the Q69 on 21Ave and then go up to Rikers Island. I really think it can pick up more ridership going there. The Q101 honestly I'm not really sure what to do with that route it's just one of those routes that just don't pick up a lot of people. The Q102 I believe should be eliminated because it parallels the (F)(N) and (Q) lines and since 2007 ridership has decreased. The Q103 should be routed off of Vernon blvd south of Queensbridge 21st because that route needs serious help having the lowest ridership in the city next to the Bx24. The Q104 should be extended onto Roosevelt Island via Vernon Blvd and that can serve as a replacement for the Q102. All those routes have similar headways except the Q100 and I believe service changes should help those routes out. The Q19 is also another one with weak ridership but there is nothing that could be done with that route unless it was extended to Manhattan or the Bronx but where?

There needs to be major changes to the routes in the Long Island City and Astoria areas. All the Q100 routes except Q100LTD have poor ridership. If they were NYCT routes I know they would of changed. The Q100 is good but I really think it should follow the Q69 on 21Ave and then go up to Rikers Island. I really think it can pick up more ridership going there. The Q101 honestly I'm not really sure what to do with that route it's just one of those routes that just don't pick up a lot of people. The Q102 I believe should be eliminated because it parallels the (F)(N) and (Q) lines and since 2007 ridership has decreased. The Q103 should be routed off of Vernon blvd south of Queensbridge 21st because that route needs serious help having the lowest ridership in the city next to the Bx24. The Q104 should be extended onto Roosevelt Island via Vernon Blvd and that can serve as a replacement for the Q102. All those routes have similar headways except the Q100 and I believe service changes should help those routes out. The Q19 is also another one with weak ridership but there is nothing that could be done with that route unless it was extended to Manhattan or the Bronx but where?

Q101 with low ridership? Really...

Actually, the Q104 is pretty well utilized. The Q101 is utilized very well, so thats a lie. The Portion between Queens Plaza and Manhattan may not do so good, because more riders want QB access rather then Astoria Access. The Q102 is needed for coverage (once had a weekend bus with 28 riders on it). The 102 tends to do good between Vernon and Queens Plaza, and you do have your riders coming from Roosevelt Island (hospital and the Octagon Building). The Q103 yeah it's not the best, but nothing you can do about it.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Q102 is fine the way it is and Q104 should be eliminated and be replace by my proposed 10 mile long Q90 if any changes are made to the Q104 (go a few pages before this one if you wanna see it and haven't seen it already). And extending the Q19 to Manhattan or Bronx is too lengthy. An unneeded. I'd say extend it only to 2 Street and 27 Avenue to connect with the Q18, Q102, and Q103. Also Q69 runs down Ditmars Boulevard, not 21 Avenue. Also the Q100 is fine the way it is and so is the Q69. And I already said extend Q103 to Williamsburg instead of starting a B32 to boost ridership. Also for those Q103 riders who want to get to Queens Plaza, they could just walk there or use the (7) train.

Actually, the Q104 is pretty well utilized. The Q101 is utilized very well, so thats a lie. The Portion between Queens Plaza and Manhattan may not do so good, because more riders want QB access rather then Astoria Access. The Q102 is needed for coverage (once had a weekend bus with 28 riders on it). The 102 tends to do good between Vernon and Queens Plaza, and you do have your riders coming from Roosevelt Island (hospital and the Octagon Building). The Q103 yeah it's not the best, but nothing you can do about it.

The Q101, Q102, Q103 and Q104 are not well utilized. You really call a route with less than 4,000 riders well "utilized". I know that they run mostly every 20-30 minutes but seriously there are alternatives around and a few ways to reconstruct some of those routes.

Q102 is fine the way it is and Q104 should be eliminated and be replace by my proposed 10 mile long Q90 if any changes are made to the Q104 (go a few pages before this one if you wanna see it and haven't seen it already). And extending the Q19 to Manhattan or Bronx is too lengthy. An unneeded. I'd say extend it only to 2 Street and 27 Avenue to connect with the Q18, Q102, and Q103. Also Q69 runs down Ditmars Boulevard, not 21 Avenue. Also the Q100 is fine the way it is and so is the Q69. And I already said extend Q103 to Williamsburg instead of starting a B32 to boost ridership. Also for those Q103 riders who want to get to Queens Plaza, they could just walk there or use the (7) train.

Extending the Q19 to the Bronx or Manhattan is too lengthy but your Q90 isn't?

The Q101, Q102, Q103 and Q104 are not well utilized. You really call a route with less than 4,000 riders well "utilized". I know that they run mostly every 20-30 minutes but seriously there are alternatives around and a few ways to reconstruct some of those routes.

Have you done the math and figure how many riders you have per bus. You can have a bus with 100 riders, and only have two trips, or a bus with 5,000, and have 234 trips. Which would do better (pretend they have the same milage).

The Q103 doesn't hit all the major areas of LIC... 

The Q103 doesn't go to Court Sq or Queens Plaza (two major destinations....)

it only goes to Vernon-Jackson and Queensbridge..

If you can re-route it to serve ALL of those major destinations, it MAY benefit and see an increase of ridership...

BUT then again..

Don't fix something if it ain't broke...

May I also mention, Vernon Blvd ain't a major thoroughfare (only Costcos and the projects are there.... it is the industrial-like area of Astoria)

and the Q103 terminates by those PJs at 27th Av... it doesn't go to any major parts of Astoria either....

It's good if there's industry on Vernon Boulevard because B35 via Church said a million times that industry creates demand. And also the Q103 doesn't need to be rerouted anywhere, it just needs to be extended to Williamsburg. Also for anyone who needs to go to other parts of Astoria, they could just walk over to the Q19 and also the Q103 is broke and an extension to Williamsburg will fix it, not by rerouting it. And speaking of the Q19, I think it should be extended to 2 Street and 27 Avenue to connect with Q18, Q102, and Q103.

Extending the Q19 to the Bronx or Manhattan is too lengthy but your Q90 isn't?

An extended Q19 to Manhattan or Bronx would be much longer than my Q90. I'd say a local route more than 10 miles is too long. Q90 is right at that limit.

It's good if there's industry on Vernon Boulevard because B35 via Church said a million times that industry creates demand. And also the Q103 doesn't need to be rerouted anywhere, it just needs to be extended to Williamsburg. Also for anyone who needs to go to other parts of Astoria, they could just walk over to the Q19 and also the Q103 is broke and an extension to Williamsburg will fix it, not by rerouting it. And speaking of the Q19, I think it should be extended to 2 Street and 27 Avenue to connect with Q18, Q102, and Q103.

An extended Q19 to Manhattan or Bronx would be much longer than my Q90. I'd say a local route more than 10 miles is too long. Q90 is right at that limit.

Look at the M5, and S78, and others (B15, S89).