Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Is the Q42 even necessary? It looks like it's a relatively short distance from either the Q83 or the Q4, both of which have higher frequencies.

Says he wants decentralization, but the route is nothing more than a subway feeder that runs on weekdays... SMH

Q42 has nothing to do with the overall idea of decentralization just a random merger. I do question Q42's existence sometimes too. If you looked into all of my proposals and mashed em together you would realize how they would work and how they create a sort of 2nd system not based on manhattan you can see how it relates to decentralized transit networks. In order for you to understand you must also have an understanding of these transit networks NICE,SCT,LIRR, and NJT. As well as intercity services hint shortline service route X-495.

There's no point. You are literally combining routes for the sake of combining routes, without any concern to the impact on reliability or the actual utility of the combination whatsoever. No one is going to take a bus on the Q42 route all the way to the Bronx Zoo, because they can just use the Van Wyck and the Cross Bronx. There's no reasonable travel demand for any sort of combination like this.

After a certain point, going after more transit users on a particular route is just burning cash.

Well you do have a point I did admit there are other routes that may be better candidates than the Q44 that are shorter. I am aware of the van wyck see.  ;)  Hint: super

Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q42 has nothing to do with the overall idea of decentralization just a random merger. I do question Q42's existence sometimes too. If you looked into all of my proposals and mashed em together you would realize how they would work and how they create a sort of 2nd system not based on manhattan you can see how it relates to decentralized transit networks. In order for you to understand you must also have an understanding of these transit networks NICE,SCT,LIRR, and NJT. As well as intercity services hint shortline service route X-495.

Well you do have a point I did admit there are other routes that may be better candidates than the Q44 that are shorter. I am aware of the van wyck see.  ;)  Hint: super

You don't need to know about other transit services. Transit is not a one-size fits all solution. Just because it may work in Westchester, London, or Melbourne doesn't mean it'll work here (actually, it means it probably won't work here.)

You said it yourself - it's a random merge. It has no benefits but a LOT of downsides.

What is wrong with benefitting brooklyn folks? If it would benefit brooklyn folks then ridership on B84 would increase why not give them a

faster ride?

And where in brooklyn would you send it?

Q44 is quite reliable so I don't see the problem of having select runs cover the Q42's route or better yet a super LTD Q94 to an extent. Or a merger with Q25 instead of Q44 there are many possible combinations it doesn't have to be the Q44 actually.

Think about how long it would take to get from Linden/235 to Rockaway Blvd (A). Do you really think SE Queens customers are looking for access for SW Queens? You really don't do your research, do you? I have 2 options for the 84. Either Brookdale Hospital or Utica. And stop extending, combining routes for the hell of it. You're not helping anyone. This double talk shit needs to stop too. Edited by Q43LTD

Think about how long it would take to get from Linden/235 to Rockaway Blvd (A). Do you really think SE Queens customers are looking for access for SW Queens? You really don't do your research, do you? I have 2 options for the 84. Either Brookdale Hospital or Utica. And stop extending, combining routes for the hell of it. You're not helping anyone. This double talk shit needs to stop too.

new lots won't help B84 if that is what your thinking. Forget utica people would just use the (3). I go for extension sometimes or route swap to allow new trip possibilities for transit. Sending the B84 via new lots will not create a new trip possibility as the B15 goes there. That extension allows access to the euclid ave (A) from B84 and ashford street. This is not for the hell of it if brooklyn riders can benefit then let em benefit. Just because we have rouets to so called trip generators doesn't mean we should leave some huge service gaps on purpose. Your intentionally defending a service gap to justify a duplicative extension that makes little sense the service to those areas exist serving areas that have none deserve it more. Ohh FYI that extension decreases travel time of SE and SW linden blvd queens riders going to the beach either via transfer to Q53 or (A)(S). But Q53 makes a bit more sense due to high frequency. You didn't even bother to look into it deeper. 

@bobtehpanda Not everybody is going to manhattan or to the subway get that through your head already.

You don't need to know about other transit services. Transit is not a one-size fits all solution. Just because it may work in Westchester, London, or Melbourne doesn't mean it'll work here (actually, it means it probably won't work here.)

You said it yourself - it's a random merge. It has no benefits but a LOT of downsides.

cut the post

new lots won't help B84 if that is what your thinking. Forget utica people would just use the (3). I go for extension sometimes or route swap to allow new trip possibilities for transit. Sending the B84 via new lots will not create a new trip possibility as the B15 goes there. That extension allows access to the euclid ave (A) from B84 and ashford street. This is not for the hell of it if brooklyn riders can benefit then let em benefit. Just because we have rouets to so called trip generators doesn't mean we should leave some huge service gaps on purpose. Your intentionally defending a service gap to justify a duplicative extension that makes little sense the service to those areas exist serving areas that have none deserve it more. Ohh FYI that extension decreases travel time of SE and SW linden blvd queens riders going to the beach either via transfer to Q53 or (A)(S). But Q53 makes a bit more sense due to high frequency. You didn't even bother to look into it deeper. 

@bobtehpanda Not everybody is going to manhattan or to the subway get that through your head already.

About two thirds of the jobs are in Manhattan. Most of the commercial activity in Queens is in Astoria, Flushing, Jamaica, or on Queens Blvd. Guess where the bus network is designed to take you?

As a resident of this borough who doesn't own a car, the buses and subway work to get about just around anywhere. And I don't even live in the central part with all the buses. What I can tell you, though, is that absolutely no one is interested in riding any of the routes you've proposed so far. Nobody's looking to get from Eastern Queens to Wakefield or from SE Queens to Aqueduct Racino or whatever you've been going on about. Just because you say it doesn't make you right.

About two thirds of the jobs are in Manhattan. Most of the commercial activity in Queens is in Astoria, Flushing, Jamaica, or on Queens Blvd. Guess where the bus network is designed to take you?

As a resident of this borough who doesn't own a car, the buses and subway work to get about just around anywhere. And I don't even live in the central part with all the buses. What I can tell you, though, is that absolutely no one is interested in riding any of the routes you've proposed so far. Nobody's looking to get from Eastern Queens to Wakefield or from SE Queens to Aqueduct Racino or whatever you've been going on about. Just because you say it doesn't make you right.

Hehe astoria sounds about right. But just because you say it doesn't make you right either. Those routes work together rather than apart you keep going on about end to end nobody uses any bus route end to end in large numbers you of all people should know that. data to back it up recent data only.

Hehe astoria sounds about right. But just because you say it doesn't make you right either. Those routes work together rather than apart you keep going on about end to end nobody uses any bus route end to end in large numbers you of all people should know that.

Yes, and I will repeat. No one in Queens is interested in going to Wakefield. There sure as hell ain't demand in the Bronx to go to Eastern Queens - the only attractions would be some minor retail and schools. And what would they transfer to? A bus to Flushing or Jamaica? They can do that already by taking a bus to the subway and getting off at West Farms Sq for the Q44. If someone makes this kind of trip regularly, they probably have an unlimited so they're not paying two fares. And travel within Central Bronx and Eastern Queens is already doable.

Incredibly long routes will be incredibly delayed and incredibly unreliable - therefore, no one will want to take them. This isn't Melbourne, where you can have a bus route 110km in length because you can. Thus, incredibly long routes are a bad idea.

Yes, and I will repeat. No one in Queens is interested in going to Wakefield. There sure as hell ain't demand in the Bronx to go to Eastern Queens - the only attractions would be some minor retail and schools. And what would they transfer to? A bus to Flushing or Jamaica? They can do that already by taking a bus to the subway and getting off at West Farms Sq for the Q44. If someone makes this kind of trip regularly, they probably have an unlimited so they're not paying two fares. And travel within Central Bronx and Eastern Queens is already doable.

Incredibly long routes will be incredibly delayed and incredibly unreliable - therefore, no one will want to take them. This isn't Melbourne, where you can have a bus route 110km in length because you can. Thus, incredibly long routes are a bad idea.

well I know that but none of my lines NYC based are that long travel time wise at all. That is an illusion you are still on wakefield you really don't know how to let things go I dropped that part from the 2nd draft. I think I already explained that earlier in response to bold clearly you don't read at all.

Based on red that is time consuming and has way too many transfers try again. I clearly stated the connecting routes to link to that Q51 several times. One all NICE routes that travel to queens and Q5,27,43/1/2/36/13/12 &31/84(reason later) also 2 LIRR stations 3 on select runs. None of my lines are close to 110km your overblowing and fudging up the truth to boost your argument. A few more I didn't mention as well. If they are going to flushing they would use Q50 if to jamacia Q50 to Q44. That isn't the target market.

Well if these B84 patrons become affluent, I wish to see some of them on the BM5, which is now turning into a QM10.

how is the Q54 used end to end what are ridership habits?

No need to send it anywhere, it's perfect as it is. The only thing I would ask for is the annoying ass untimed transfer from the Q47.

The Q54 (the one you want to transfer at Atlas Park Mall, a few do that from the 47) is always in Front of the Q47. 

Happened to me a few days ago.

It was Wednesday, and I decided to go shopping at trader joes (in this heat yes) so I took the Q47 to the Q54. By the time the 47 got to Metropolitan, the 54 was right infront of us. Then at Cooper, the red light turn red in our direction, while the Q54 was turning, a good 2-3 cars in front of us. Then the next one is 20 minutes after, so I said "screw it" and walked to Woodhaven. Then I took the Q23 to Forest Hills Subway Station for the (R).

Q25 reroute: Stops at the LGA Terminals (including the Marine Air Terminal), heading to Flushing via Ditmars and Northern, making limited stops at 82nd/23rd, 94th/23rd, Ditmars/23rd and Ditmars/Astoria. Replaces the Q48.

Q34 rerouted onto the current Q25 route in College Point. Q34 to Willets Point Blvd either discontinued, or turned into a branch and the Q34 runs similar to the Q20.

One of three things happens for weekend routings:

Q34 does not run on weekends, and certain Q25 runs run down the original route. LGA buses could remain as Limited buses.

Q34 runs from College Point to Flushing. Q25 might have some limited runs.

Q25 continues to make Limited runs, while Q34 runs from College Point to Jamaica. If Q34 service to Willets Point Blvd is continued, these "Q34A" runs do not operate. This basically copies the Q20/Q44 setup on weekends.

Possible short turns include Main St for Q34s from College Point and Q25s from Jamaica, and Kissena/Jewel for Q34s from College Point or Q25s from LGA.

Thoughts?

why not just have Q34 replace Q15's 154th street segment and add weekend service then renumber Q15a to Q15 or vice versa with Q15a absorbed into Q34. If those people need LGA send some like every 3rd or other Q17 trip to LGA via LIE/GCP those trips will stop at main street though and use LIE service road. As for flushing to LGA won't sending the Q26 there to LGA breathe in new life into that line?

No need to send it anywhere, it's perfect as it is. The only thing I would ask for is the annoying ass untimed transfer from the Q47.

The Q54 (the one you want to transfer at Atlas Park Mall, a few do that from the 47) is always in Front of the Q47. 

Happened to me a few days ago.

It was Wednesday, and I decided to go shopping at trader joes (in this heat yes) so I took the Q47 to the Q54. By the time the 47 got to Metropolitan, the 54 was right infront of us. Then at Cooper, the red light turn red in our direction, while the Q54 was turning, a good 2-3 cars in front of us. Then the next one is 20 minutes after, so I said "screw it" and walked to Woodhaven. Then I took the Q23 to Forest Hills Subway Station for the (R).

I see but I am asking how many use it east of 69th street heading to pints west of 69th?

why not just have Q34 replace Q15's 154th street segment and add weekend service then renumber Q15a to Q15 or vice versa with Q15a absorbed into Q34. If those people need LGA send some like every 3rd or other Q17 trip to LGA via LIE/GCP those trips will stop at main street though and use LIE service road. As for flushing to LGA won't sending the Q26 there to LGA breathe in new life into that line?

Well, for starters, the Q34 would be overserving that area, hence the combination of the old Q14 and Q15...

I don't think you understand the point of it. It provides a relatively quick one-seat ride from Jamaica to LGA, but more importantly, provides a seamless connection to Jamaica, allowing connections from Long Islanders and providing a connection to JFK. 188th is too out of the way to do it (so no Q17) and the other point of it is to actually provide a useful connection from Flushing to LGA, since the Q48 don't cut it.

I have no idea what's with your highway obsession, since those two highways, especially in the areas described, are nearly always jammed, even on the weekends. The Horace Harding is also usually jammed due to stupid weekend drivers who don't know any other way to avoid the traffic.

As far as I'm concerned the Q26 is still going to be a low performer with an extension to LGA, since nobody on that bus is heading there anyways. The Q26 also only operates weekdays due to its low ridership, and it's a short walk away from most buses.

TL;DR Thanks but no thanks, because your suggestions miss the original point of the routing I proposed.

Well, for starters, the Q34 would be overserving that area, hence the combination of the old Q14 and Q15...

I don't think you understand the point of it. It provides a relatively quick one-seat ride from Jamaica to LGA, but more importantly, provides a seamless connection to Jamaica, allowing connections from Long Islanders and providing a connection to JFK. 188th is too out of the way to do it (so no Q17) and the other point of it is to actually provide a useful connection from Flushing to LGA, since the Q48 don't cut it.

I have no idea what's with your highway obsession, since those two highways, especially in the areas described, are nearly always jammed, even on the weekends. The Horace Harding is also usually jammed due to stupid weekend drivers who don't know any other way to avoid the traffic.

As far as I'm concerned the Q26 is still going to be a low performer with an extension to LGA, since nobody on that bus is heading there anyways. The Q26 also only operates weekdays due to its low ridership, and it's a short walk away from most buses.

TL;DR Thanks but no thanks, because your suggestions miss the original point of the routing I proposed.

won't LIers just go to woodside via LIRR and use Q70s? I do agree Q48 doesn't cut it that much I get. Ohh there is always van wyck north to get to LGA it is very rare for both to be jammed at the same time. Q70 to (E) to airtrain gets folks from LGA to JFK. Well nobody on the Q26 was given a quick ride to the airport you admitted it with the Q48 not cutting it. Those on the Q25/34 would transfer at LIE service rd for the Q17 LGA trips which get to LGA 2 stops later avoiding the mess that is flushing for that area. And improving connections to upper manhattan remember M60 SBS? Q34 and Q15a mostly have similar service levels except during the midday. SO select runs can cover it during those times the rest to college point middays. Rush hours Q34 eats Q15a completely and Q25 LTD can do LGA as you say with local buses to college point.

won't LIers just go to woodside via LIRR and use Q70s? I do agree Q48 doesn't cut it that much I get. Ohh there is always van wyck north to get to LGA it is very rare for both to be jammed at the same time. Q70 to (E) to airtrain gets folks from LGA to JFK. Well nobody on the Q26 was given a quick ride to the airport you admitted it with the Q48 not cutting it. Those on the Q25/34 would transfer at LIE service rd for the Q17 LGA trips which get to LGA 2 stops later avoiding the mess that is flushing for that area. And improving connections to upper manhattan remember M60 SBS? Q34 and Q15a mostly have similar service levels except during the midday. SO select runs can cover it during those times the rest to college point middays. Rush hours Q34 eats Q15a completely and Q25 LTD can do LGA as you say with local buses to college point.

Taking the Q70 to Woodside would be going backwards...

You don't quite get it. The Q26 literally serves all residential houses. There isn't a single person in these houses who goes to the airport on a consistent basis.

The LIE/GCP interchange is probably worse than Flushing half the time. The Van Wyck is almost always backed up southbound heading to JFK.

With your whole Q34/Q15a idea, you're making service patterns way more complicated than they need to be. The current Q15/15A setup is alright (although if anything, residents might prefer a Q14 restoration over a Q34 extension).

I think one way we can boost the Q26's ridership is having it terminate and originate with the Q27, combining the Q26 and Q27 into one stop at 39th Avenue, because a lot of people who are able to use the Q26 choose to take the Q27 instead. The Q26 can follow the Q65 along Kissena and Sanford and continue down Parsons on its current route. Q26 midday service can be restored, and all of this is going to relieve the severe crowds on the 27.

Q25 reroute: Stops at the LGA Terminals (including the Marine Air Terminal), heading to Flushing via Ditmars and Northern, making limited stops at 82nd/23rd, 94th/23rd, Ditmars/23rd and Ditmars/Astoria. Replaces the Q48.

Q34 rerouted onto the current Q25 route in College Point. Q34 to Willets Point Blvd either discontinued, or turned into a branch and the Q34 runs similar to the Q20.

One of three things happens for weekend routings:

Q34 does not run on weekends, and certain Q25 runs run down the original route. LGA buses could remain as Limited buses.

Q34 runs from College Point to Flushing. Q25 might have some limited runs.

Q25 continues to make Limited runs, while Q34 runs from College Point to Jamaica. If Q34 service to Willets Point Blvd is continued, these "Q34A" runs do not operate. This basically copies the Q20/Q44 setup on weekends.

Possible short turns include Main St for Q34s from College Point and Q25s from Jamaica, and Kissena/Jewel for Q34s from College Point or Q25s from LGA.

Thoughts?

One word- NO!

Leave everything the way it is. It will basically duplicate the Q48. The Q25 ridership is increasing and service to LGA is not needed due to the Q48 and (7) train being alternatives. And why the Q25 which has many people still riding it past Flushing?

One word- NO!

Leave everything the way it is. It will basically duplicate the Q48. The Q25 ridership is increasing and service to LGA is not needed due to the Q48 and (7) train being alternatives. And why the Q25 which has many people still riding it past Flushing?

I meant replacing the Q48 with the Q25, to connect Jamaica with LGA with a limited route.

The Q34 goes on the exact same route past Flushing...

Discussion having originated from the shoutbox.....

Q23 Central Terminal from 6/27/13 from 7:04pm-7:32 pm: (From the shoutbox, shouts combined to form a paragraph)

going to where I was going, the Q38 (on it's 20 minute headways middays) bunxhed in two. Some People were waiting 40 minutes for the bus.... just insane.... Q38 riders either walk now, take the Q29, or a north-south bus to a eAST-WEST BUS.... Ridership has fallen

B35 via Church at 6/27/13 at 7:59-8:00 pm

40 mins for the Q38.... heh, sounds like the Q38 back when it was under triboro....

Q38 back then was not reliable at all.... I'd go as far as to say that it was rather shunned....

Q23 Central Terminal from 6/27/13 from 8:04pm-8:13 pm: (From the shoutbox, shouts combined to form a paragraph)

It's gotten better post PBL-days.... When I moved to Middle Village in August 2011, the Q38 had a lot of problems... runs missing, buses coming in 5's, and buses braking down (that's happened to me once).... Now, bunching still persists.... And by December 2011, things got worse.... thats why whenever the Q29 was rerouted via Eliot I praised the lord.... because that would mean more frequent service for me. Anyways, most people got fed up and went for the Q29 or the QM24/QM25....

@B35: If the 38 was like what it was under Triboro, I would shun it completely, I agree on your post (referring to the above shout of mine).... the things got better by like January, however the problem was overcrowding... buses flagging you when they pass every 14 minutes , now thats a problem.... It's better nowadays, the complaints have died a bit.... the bunching during middays is common for whatever reasons.... Thats why I always prefer an extended 88 to Metropolitan to cover the northern part (buses run every 3.5 mintues AM rush, 5 minutes PM rush, 10 minutes middays).... and the lesser used Penelope Avenue Avenue Portion have an extend 67 to Forest Hills (buses run every 10-12 minutes AM rush and PM, 30 minutes Middays)

B35 via Church at 6/28/13 at 11:32am

Q23, when I get back, I'll comment on your Q38 shouts, on the forums....

.....Which leads me to this reply I'm about to make:

Yeah, the Q38 certainly has gotten better since the MTA took over.... People actually started taking it - There were crowds !

By that I mean, it had riderbases one can actually gauge, instead of the 10-20 stragglers here & there or whatever..... I most certainly remember when the Q38 was an afterthought (because it was always one of those routes I wanted to fan, but got fed up after waiting 30 min+ for it - No matter where along the route I tried to catch it at.... The funny thing was, when I was fanning other routes, that's when I would see the thing & all it's handful or so of riders on it (lol)...... Anyway, over there around Met av (M), it was all about getting to the Q54 and/or the Q58 in that general area..... As for the Rego Park portion north of QB, virtually nobody took the damn thing (38).....

The current bunching problem on the Q38 I've also noticed, but to be honest, I haven't really stopped to think what it's attributed to.....

It's your *home* route, so I'll appeal to you....

Do you have any idea/theories/truths as to what could be causing the bunching?

Q34 rerouted onto the current Q25 route in College Point. Q34 to Willets Point Blvd either discontinued, or turned into a branch and the Q34 runs similar to the Q20...........

Thoughts?

I understand you have the 34 diverted to serving college point (the neighborhood) to take the place of the 25 that currently serves college point, so there's no need for me to comment on that particular suggestion... I'll get to the more important suggestion....

Guess I'll just reiterate a point I made to someone else a while back about combining the Q48 w/ something else that already serves flushing....

Don't like the idea of combining the 25 (or any other route in Flushing with the) Q48... I honestly believe if some route in flushing were to be combined w/ the Q48, the MTA would not keep current service levels of the route that's being combined w/ the 48.... In other words, a service cut would result from that - and I don't think you would want that to happen to the Q25, just for the sake of connecting Jamaica & Flushing to LGA w/ one route.....

I don't think it's worth it.

What is wrong with benefitting brooklyn folks? If it would benefit brooklyn folks then ridership on B84 would increase why not give them a faster ride?

Q44 is quite reliable so I don't see the problem of having select runs cover the Q42's route or better yet a super LTD Q94 to an extent. Or a merger with Q25 instead of Q44 there are many possible combinations it doesn't have to be the Q44 actually. 

There's nothing wrong with benefitting Brooklyn folks... The problem is the B84 is designed for a specific purpose, and that is NOT for connecting Brooklyn to Queens - especially that much more of Queens moreso than Brooklyn......

Of course you don't see the problem w/ merging two routes like the Q44 & the Q42... You seldom ever do - and THAT is the problem.

Q44 being reliable doesn't have a damn thing to do with Addisleigh Park riders...

Not everybody is going to manhattan or to the subway get that through your head already.

The masses are.... That fact cannot be minimized.

Local bus service complements subway service in this city & vice versa....

This is something else I've noticed you've been conveying at times on this forum.... This notion of having buses in this city operate seperate from complementing the subway simply wont fly... No, everybody isn't going to Manhattan, but NYC lives & dies through the county of New York... That is something you're simply gonna have to get through your head.....

Enough to keep it as it is..

Lol !

I think one way we can boost the Q26's ridership is having it terminate and originate with the Q27, combining the Q26 and Q27 into one stop at 39th Avenue, because a lot of people who are able to use the Q26 choose to take the Q27 instead. The Q26 can follow the Q65 along Kissena and Sanford and continue down Parsons on its current route. Q26 midday service can be restored, and all of this is going to relieve the severe crowds on the 27.

Nah, I don't think the 26 should be combined with the 27, but I do think the Q26 should be sent over to QCC for the same reason you want to combine the two - To relieve the severe crowds on the Q27 b/w Flushing & QCC......

Edited by B35 via Church

Taking the Q70 to Woodside would be going backwards...

You don't quite get it. The Q26 literally serves all residential houses. There isn't a single person in these houses who goes to the airport on a consistent basis.

The LIE/GCP interchange is probably worse than Flushing half the time. The Van Wyck is almost always backed up southbound heading to JFK.

With your whole Q34/Q15a idea, you're making service patterns way more complicated than they need to be. The current Q15/15A setup is alright (although if anything, residents might prefer a Q14 restoration over a Q34 extension).

But they are rail like Q70's next stop is jacksonheights the (E) and jamacia is 4 stops away then airtrain however if Q25 LTD is as fast as the Q44 then your argument triumphs mine and I would concede. However you act like GCP/LIE is the only way to LGA what about the van wyck to ditmars or van wyck to GCP only one exit over on the GCP anyway if GCP sucks that much the van wyck is an alternative to reach kissena. But college point man has challenged you how will you defend your idea against his stance which is Q25 has high ridership past flushing on LTDs how can you counter that fact?

One word- NO!

AWW here we go college pt man vs bobtehpanda debate smackdown begin. Present your argument against Q25 LTD to flushing begin.

Q23 Central Terminal from 6/27/13 from 7:04pm-7:32 pm: (From the shoutbox, shouts combined to form a paragraph)

Q23 Central Terminal from 6/27/13 from 8:04pm-8:13 pm: (From the shoutbox, shouts combined to form a paragraph)

Yeah, the Q38 certainly has gotten better since the MTA took over.... People actually started taking it - There were crowds !

By that I mean, it had riderbases one can actually gauge, instead of the 10-20 stragglers here & there or whatever..... I most certainly remember when the Q38 was an afterthought (because it was always one of those routes I wanted to fan, but got fed up after waiting 30 min+ for it - No matter where along the route I tried to catch it at.... The funny thing was, when I was fanning other routes, that's when I would see the thing & all it's handful or so of riders on it (lol)...... Anyway, over there around Met av (M), it was all about getting to the Q54 and/or the Q58 in that general area..... As for the Rego Park portion north of QB, virtually nobody took the damn thing (38).....

The current bunching problem on the Q38 I've also noticed, but to be honest, I haven't really stopped to think what it's attributed to.....

I would think it's route structure causing bunching and the fact that it gets used now factors into it.

I understand you have the 34 diverted to serving college point (the neighborhood) to take the place of the 25 that currently serves college point, so there's no need for me to comment on that particular suggestion... I'll get to the more important suggestion....

Guess I'll just reiterate a point I made to someone else a while back about combining the Q48 w/ something else that already serves flushing....

Don't like the idea of combining the 25 (or any other route in Flushing with the) Q48... I honestly believe if some route in flushing were to be combined w/ the Q48, the MTA would not keep current service levels of the route that's being combined w/ the 48.... In other words, a service cut would result from that - and I don't think you would want that to happen to the Q25, just for the sake of connecting Jamaica & Flushing to LGA w/ one route.....

There's nothing wrong with benefitting Brooklyn folks... The problem is the B84 is designed for a specific purpose, and that is NOT for connecting Brooklyn to Queens - especially that much more of Queens moreso than Brooklyn......

Of course you don't see the problem w/ merging two routes like the Q44 & the Q42... You seldom ever do - and THAT is the problem.

Q44 being reliable doesn't have a damn thing to do with Addisleigh Park riders...

The masses are.... That fact cannot be minimized.

Local bus service complements subway service in this city & vice versa....

This is something else I've noticed you've been conveying at times on this forum.... This notion of having buses in this city operate seperate from complementing the subway simply wont fly... No, everybody isn't going to Manhattan, but NYC lives & dies through the county of New York... That is something you're simply gonna have to get through your head.....

Lol !

Nah, I don't think the 26 should be combined with the 27, but I do think the Q26 should be sent over to QCC for the same reason you want to combine the two - To relieve the severe crowds on the Q27 b/w Flushing & QCC......

well I am not advocating cutting links to the subway or to manhattan that way. I know the demand for non manhattan travel is lower that is why that market should be served by buses rather than subways with one exception.

One off the top of my head is the traffic on 57th Avenue. There are a lot of supermarkets in that area, so you'll see a lot of double parking in terms of trucks. That isn't every day, but when the supermarkets make their deliveries, trucks will double park, despite how thin the road is. By the time it will be delayed. Also, certain Q38 skip the Christine Ave portion to save time, although it barely saves them time. Also midday loads can be unbalanced. As some may have more rider than others.

The southern portion is where the real problems start. Double parking there coulf have more impact on the schedule on top of the 57 th Avenue corridor. That has happened before. The Q38 also goes through thin streets in Juniper Valley.

Also, in Rego Park, the line gets boggled by the number of lights on 63 Drive. Also, on the schedule, it says it takes 7-8 minutes from 69 st/Eliot to Queens Center, which is not the case. Some can take more, some as scheduled, ad the above cases con contribute to it.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

But they are rail like Q70's next stop is jacksonheights the (E) and jamacia is 4 stops away then airtrain however if Q25 LTD is as fast as the Q44 then your argument triumphs mine and I would concede. However you act like GCP/LIE is the only way to LGA what about the van wyck to ditmars or van wyck to GCP only one exit over on the GCP anyway if GCP sucks that much the van wyck is an alternative to reach kissena. But college point man has challenged you how will you defend your idea against his stance which is Q25 has high ridership past flushing on LTDs how can you counter that fact?

AWW here we go college pt man vs bobtehpanda debate smackdown begin. Present your argument against Q25 LTD to flushing begin.

I would think it's route structure causing bunching and the fact that it gets used now factors into it.

well I am not advocating cutting links to the subway or to manhattan that way. I know the demand for non manhattan travel is lower that is why that market should be served by buses rather than subways with one exception.

You were the one who brought up the GCP and LIE as part of a Q17 to LGA (which makes no sense at all)...

The Van Wyck is still terrible due to the endless road construction, the Whitestone traffic, and the airport traffic. Most importantly, any traffic incident is going to wreck the bus route, since the GCP wouldn't be usable as an alternate route due to the parkway restrictions. Plus, it provides duplicative service (the point of the route was not a JFK-LGA nonstop).

I already said that the Q34 can be made full time and can pick up the slack, since it basically runs the same route on Kissena to Jamaica.

The Q25 still goes to Flushing...

I'm of the opinion that really, any improvement to the Q48 would boost ridership (and my proposal wouldn't make local-spaced stops, so it would also be faster than the current Q48). Plus, I get the feeling that if the DOT or MTA ever got the idea for this in their heads, they would try and promote it the same way they're doing with the study on Bx41 SBS to LGA.