Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

That part of it I got.....

The difference b/w sending 43's out to LIC & the old B61 Red Hook - Queens Plz. though is that the old B61 was greatly utilized on both "splits" of today's B61/B62 (meaning, the old B61 [b/w the Red Hook - Downtown Bklyn portion] & [b/w the Downtown Bklyn - Queens Plz portion])....

...Compare that to an extension of the B43 up vernon, which for all intents & purposes, will be mainly carrying air once you get past commercial vernon blvd.... I can tell you now that you aren't gonna get folks that currently take the 103 to/from the astoria houses to xfer from the Q104 to the 103 to continue south of 34th/vernon.....

In english, route length (and duration) was more of a problem w/ the old B61....

What would be more of a problem w/ your B43 extension will be its usage on the Queens end....

That's what I'm gettin at, bro.....

oh it's usage i see.. and cause someone commented on my google map extension a while back extending it to queensbridge ,  i wonder how can it be covered?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda was thinking the same thing but your sure this would work?

There's a fairly sizable amount of LIJ employees in Queens Village and Hollis, and it'd take pressure off of the Q46. At Lakeville and Union there is a fairly sizable shopping center as well, but neighborhood residents don't usually frequent it due to the extreme hostility of the pedestrian environment in that area.

Parking is a serious problem at the hospital, as well - the amount of parking lots required is so high that a shuttle runs around the various parking lots. It's actually faster for a family friend of mine to walk from Hillside Av and 260th St to the hospital, rather than try to nab a parking space and take the shuttle into work.

Edited by bobtehpanda

There's a fairly sizable amount of LIJ employees in Queens Village and Hollis, and it'd take pressure off of the Q46. At Lakeville and Union there is a fairly sizable shopping center as well, but neighborhood residents don't usually frequent it due to the extreme hostility of the pedestrian environment in that area.

Parking is a serious problem at the hospital, as well - the amount of parking lots required is so high that a shuttle runs around the various parking lots. It's actually faster for a family friend of mine to walk from Hillside Av and 260th St to the hospital, rather than try to nab a parking space and take the shuttle into work.

What about Q12/30 extention to LIJ that may work wonders. However you confirmed a good hunch of mine. I think Q46 DHs to queens village should become revenue and official Q46 routing to link to NICE better and queens village. And Cater to something else.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

What about Q12/30 extention to LIJ that may work wonders. However you confirmed a good hunch of mine. I think Q46 DHs to queens village should become revenue and official Q46 routing to link to NICE better and queens village. And Cater to something else.

The Q46 is already three different routes - if you split it into a route with four different service patterns, you might as well just classify them as different routes. I wouldn't want to board a bus that I thought was LIJ-bound heading to Queens Village, and at least the other termini for the service patterns are relatively close to Union Turnpike...

Little Neck is a lot farther than Hillside is to LIJ, so it would cost more, and they can literally drive down the LIE for 1 exit and turn onto Lakeville - there's no major residential area along those streets. The Q43 extension, if it ever happened, wouldn't JUST depend on Q43 riders - during the peak, you would have Q46 riders and students (most schools in the area are closer to Hillside than to Union), and off-peak you would have neighborhood residents either trying to cross the neighborhood or heading towards a sizable shopping center. Any Q12 or Q30 extension to LIJ would run alongside a giant park for most of its length.

oh it's usage i see.. and cause someone commented on my google map extension a while back extending it to queensbridge,  i wonder how can it be covered?

Extending the B43 to Queensbridge you mean? Well for whoever said that, I don't see what that's gonna solve.....

I propose extending the Q43 down to North-Shore LIJ via Langdale St and Lakeville Rd, to meet with the Q46. Short-turns would occur at 268th St, the current terminus.

Not the first time I've heard someone bring that up about the Q43..... IMO, for that to even have a chance, you'd likely have to make the Q43's that'd run up to LIJ LTD from end to end....

Extending the B43 to Queensbridge you mean? Well for whoever said that, I don't see what that's gonna solve.....

Not the first time I've heard someone bring that up about the Q43..... IMO, for that to even have a chance, you'd likely have to make the Q43's that'd run up to LIJ LTD from end to end....

You could probably have it run like the Q36 does, with some runs doing that giant LNP segment despite the local segments east of 212th St. It's not ideal, but it's certainly shorter than the new Q36 run, or the full-length Q27.

You could probably have it run like the Q36 does, with some runs doing that giant LNP segment despite the local segments east of 212th St. It's not ideal, but it's certainly shorter than the new Q36 run, or the full-length Q27.

I was gonna bring up the Q36 in that last post.... Since you resort to mentioning it, I'll take the time to say that it's a little easier for the MTA to justify running 36's due north because the route hardly sees the amt. of activity the Q43 does..... Saying that another way, you affect less people extending 36's northward over extending 43's northward....

On paper, I could side with running 43's to LIJ.....

In actuality though, I'm more on the nay side than the yay side (I'm not referring to Cali' either... lol)....

Edited by B35 via Church

Well you eliminate duplication of Q69 in the process and reduce travel time to roosevelt island the travel time should be similar.

Duplication for a few blocks isn't a big deal. In any case, you also have to consider the mismatch in demand. Roosevelt Island is an area where not a whole lot of people want to go to, and you're attaching it to a route that serves a busier corridor. The current Q66 is more compact for lack of a better term. (It's western terminal is in a relatively busy area, though of course, there's more demand north of the (M)(R) station). Plus, riders going to RI have to deal with the bunching that comes with the Q66 being busy.

Duplication for a few blocks isn't a big deal. In any case, you also have to consider the mismatch in demand. Roosevelt Island is an area where not a whole lot of people want to go to, and you're attaching it to a route that serves a busier corridor. The current Q66 is more compact for lack of a better term. (It's western terminal is in a relatively busy area, though of course, there's more demand north of the (M)(R) station). Plus, riders going to RI have to deal with the bunching that comes with the Q66 being busy.

I didn't take that bit about the Q66 seriously for a different reason..... All that's being accomplished is the straightening of the 66... Same thing AEMoreira wants to do w/ the B62 (running it along park from jay to lee/bedford, skipping the farragut houses so that the B32 can serve it).... Straighter doesn't necessarily mean better for a route in some cases - in both these cases/examples, the route involved would end up with decreased usage/usefulness....

As soon as I read what this guy said about the 66 when I first saw that reply, I said to myself "you may as well end the route right there at the (ravenswood) projects because those buses are gonna be carrying air past 21st"

Hell, having the 66 encircle RI would actually add time to the route; you have to crawl w/i RI due to the speed limit out there (15... which is often broken by motorists out there, but that's not the point) - so there goes that argument.... His other point about duplication, smh - A route can't share a stint for one measly block for him to not bring up the duplication argument.... I mean, let's get real here.....

Guest MTA Bus

wanna kill Q103 simple extend Q19 to queensbridge via vernon blvd reroute Q101 via vernon blvd to 34th street manhattan penn station. Done Reroute Q66 to roosevelt island south.

Here's my opinion on this:

1. The Q19 does not need to be extended to Queensbridge. People can just transfer to the Q69 & Q100 at Astoria Blvd. 

2. The Q101 gets ridership along Steinway Street, taking the Q101 away from Steinway Street is not wise. Also, Penn Station is crowded enough as it is. It needs no more buses.

3. The Q66 is long enough as it is.

Here's my opinion on this:

1. The Q19 does not need to be extended to Queensbridge. People can just transfer to the Q69 & Q100 at Astoria Blvd. 

2. The Q101 gets ridership along Steinway Street, taking the Q101 away from Steinway Street is not wise. Also, Penn Station is crowded enough as it is. It needs no more buses.

3. The Q66 is long enough as it is.

That proposal will NOT take Q101 away from steinway street. I said reroute west of queensboro replaces Q103 south of the queensboro (F) north of there mo change. This improves regional connectivity with penn station sort of. Q19 's extension is a merger to keep vernon blvd service alive. And give Q19 a mild boost. Coverage those for 21st will transfer those for vernon won't have to. Quick link from LGA and bronx to vernon blvd by way of connections between new Q19 & New bx50 and M60 SBS route.

I don't think there's any demand for an Astoria-Williamsburg route.

Err you have a point there. Won't most do the (N)(7) to (G)?  The (7) is so frequent that the fact you have to transfer twice is not even a problem nor is as time consuming as it sounds. It still feels like you are only taking 2 trains as one is stupidly frequent so wait times are a non factor in travel time.

I don't think there's any demand for an Astoria-Williamsburg route.

You'd be surprised  The two areas are becoming more and more similar and the connection QJ suggested requires long transfers and long waits. It's not optimal for most people and I think they'd opt for a one seat ride on a bus rather than that 3 train transfer.

You'd be surprised  The two areas are becoming more and more similar and the connection QJ suggested requires long transfers and long waits. It's not optimal for most people and I think they'd opt for a one seat ride on a bus rather than that 3 train transfer.

Did what I say fly completely over your head? The (7) is so frequent that most of the time there are zero waits at all the transfers are less than 1 min apart and the wait is non existent most times there are no waits. Q19 however will not get so long and connects vernon blvd to upper manhattan via M60 connection at astoria. Plus B62 is a very short walk from queensboro one can say extend this B32 or 62 to link with the (N). But then again with the waits for buses being stupid long even 3 subway lines can be faster which is sad but true. They are growing BUT are they willing to change their travel that is the question.