Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on Huxley, left on Brookville, left on 147, left on 243.

So wait a second... The buses that park along Brookville (same side of the park), what are those, buses directly from the depot waiting to make their trip back to Jamaica or something?

...but then again, when I used to fan the x63 (take it all the way to the last stop & then walk to the far rockaway bound 113, I would see Q85 pax disembarking along the park.... Any idea what that could be about, since that's your neck of the woods?

So wait a second... The buses that park along Brookville (same side of the park), what are those, buses directly from the depot waiting to make their trip back to Jamaica or something?

...but then again, when I used to fan the x63 (take it all the way to the last stop & then walk to the far rockaway bound 113, I would see Q85 pax disembarking along the park.... Any idea what that could be about, since that's your neck of the woods?

Now that I know the Q85's turnaround in Rosedale, those are most likely Q85s laying over before returning to Jamaica.

Edited by Q67 via Borden

The Q26 bus should be extended to Little Neck Plaza via QCC to help relieve the Q27 which gets crushloaded towards the HHE. The Q26's terminus at Francis Lewis/Hollis Court is not to mention arbitrary as there is nothing in that area that would generate ridership. Also most people in LNP want Flushing and there is no direct service there (they have to use the Q30 to the Q27 currently so it eliminates a transfer).

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=204309787698206762506.0004e920ffb8cb6c8a9d3

That's news to me. I don't ever recall Q85's going down Brookville. Unless there was construction on 243. Yes the buses along Brookville idle are 85's returning to Jamaica. Some of them will layover on 147 by that 111 stop.

The Q26 bus should be extended to Little Neck Plaza via QCC to help relieve the Q27 which gets crushloaded towards the HHE. The Q26's terminus at Francis Lewis/Hollis Court is not to mention arbitrary as there is nothing in that area that would generate ridership. Also most people in LNP want Flushing and there is no direct service there (they have to use the Q30 to the Q27 currently so it eliminates a transfer).

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=204309787698206762506.0004e920ffb8cb6c8a9d3

Little Neck Plaza? Q26 has no business running that far east....

You are way too hooked on extending routes for the sake of extending them....There's no way in hell someone in Little Neck would take that long, drawn out routing to Flushing... You're not being practical here....

Yeah, NE Queens folks tend to head to Flushing using public transportation...... ehh, Not that I'm actually suggesting this as a routing change, but if you wanted to serve that area, diverting the Q12 off LNP & onto marathon pkwy., towards HHE/LNP would make far more sense.... For getting those folks to Flushing, it's more direct than what you're suggesting......

Secondly, you keep using the word arbitrary like you just learned a new word or something.....

I agree that chances for increased ridership on that route is stunted, but the Q26 terminal is not arbitrary dude - that's where Hollis court blvd ends.....

That's news to me. I don't ever recall Q85's going down Brookville. Unless there was construction on 243. Yes the buses along Brookville idle are 85's returning to Jamaica. Some of them will layover on 147 by that 111 stop.

I'm not sure what the deal was; maybe there was construction, IDK......

As far as Jamaica buses (Q85's) laying over on 147th, that I've seen...

Thanks btw....

Edited by B35 via Church

You are way too hooked on extending routes for the sake of extending them....There's no way in hell someone in Little Neck would take that long, drawn out routing to Flushing... You're not being practical here....

Yeah, NE Queens folks tend to head to Flushing using public transportation...... ehh, Not that I'm actually suggesting this as a routing change, but if you wanted to serve that area, diverting the Q12 off LNP & onto marathon pkwy., towards HHE/LNP would make far more sense.... For getting those folks to Flushing, it's more direct than what you're suggesting......

Secondly, you keep using the word arbitrary like you just learned a new word or something.....

I agree that chances for increased ridership on that route is stunted, but the Q26 terminal is not arbitrary dude - that's where Hollis court blvd ends.....

I'm not sure what the deal was; maybe there was construction, IDK......

As far as Jamaica buses (Q85's) laying over on 147th, that I've seen...

Thanks btw....

I'm not a fan of extending the Q12 but that could work. It makes much more sense that Great Neck (smh) or down LNP to Floral Park (that was prior to the extension of the Q36 to replace the Q79) And it provides some sort of service on a portion of Marathon Parkway. I suppose people who want Little Neck Parkway could just walk. Also yes the end of the Q26 is arbitrary because it's a random location in th middle of nowhere to end a bus. That's why the Q26 has poor ridership to begin with. Guess ending it right at QCC would do.

1. First of all, LNP is not a neighborhood.

2. Little Neck is very affluent, and is very close to the Port Washington Line, so most of the people who want to go to Flushing and aren't taking a car will walk or bike from Little Neck LIRR. They'll walk from as far as Union to get to the LIRR.

Which leads me to my third point....

Residents in Eastern Queens will walk very far to get to a bus service if it's more frequent - a quarter to half mile, and even up to a mile in some cases. They really don't care if it's door to door but doesn't show up very frequently (hence the failure of the Q26). Eastern Queens is getting all the service it needs.

It's comparable to how residents of neighborhoods west of Culver are used to walking 15-20 min to the subways, bus service be damned.

I think he's using the term to describe the lack of an 'anchor' at the outer terminus, which is just plain stupid...

An anchor is usually a big thing like a transit station, business/retail district, or university. Less often (mostly in the suburbs), it is a public school or shopping center. Anchors on both ends of a route help to balance out loads so that vehicles are not full in one direction and empty in the other.

Eastern Queens doesn't have a lot of these by the very nature of its development - it is single family housing with very light strip-mall commercial development in some spots. However, by this definition nearly all routes in Eastern Queens do not have anchors. At the same time, however, these routes have sky-high ridership, to the point where numerous subway extensions paralleling the bus lines have been proposed at one point or another. In this line of view, 268th/Hillside and Glenwood/Northern are just as arbitrary as the Hollis Court Blvd terminus.

As an anchor though, the malls in Eastern Queens suck. They're not real malls - Little Neck Plaza is just a supermarket and some restaurants. It is certainly not the type of thing you want to extend to as a solid anchor. There will be very few, if any, additional riders gained on the route by going to Little Neck Plaza, so it should not be done because it would be an obscene waste of money that could be used elsewhere (like say, buying artics for Queens, which is a much higher priority or should be)

I'm not a fan of extending the Q12 but that could work. It makes much more sense that Great Neck (smh) or down LNP to Floral Park (that was prior to the extension of the Q36 to replace the Q79) And it provides some sort of service on a portion of Marathon Parkway. I suppose people who want Little Neck Parkway could just walk. Also yes the end of the Q26 is arbitrary because it's a random location in th middle of nowhere to end a bus. That's why the Q26 has poor ridership to begin with. Guess ending it right at QCC would do.

Ughk, don't get me started with that Q12 to LIRR Great Neck idea.....

But yeah, I understand you trying to make a piece of a route like the Q26 more useful.... Which isn't a problem.

Your Q26 idea isn't the worst I've seen, but still, let's not push the envelope..... I forgot who it was that wanted to extend the Q26 down Francis Lewis all the way to SE Queens, but that was just outright asinine....

For all reasonable & practical purposes, yeh, I opted to end it at QCC.....

1. First of all, LNP is not a neighborhood.....

Good catch.

I think he's using the term to describe the lack of an 'anchor' at the outer terminus, which is just plain stupid...

Nah, I'll give him more credit than that... I think what it is, is that, under the name Q90, he saw me use the word in prior posts of mine to mean what it does.... but ever since, he's been using the word out of context at times... It's the same thing Yuki did/used to do when he would use the word "premise"....

Ughk, don't get me started with that Q12 to LIRR Great Neck idea.....

But yeah, I understand you trying to make a piece of a route like the Q26 more useful.... Which isn't a problem.

Your Q26 idea isn't the worst I've seen, but still, let's not push the envelope..... I forgot who it was that wanted to extend the Q26 down Francis Lewis all the way to SE Queens, but that was just outright asinine....

For all reasonable & practical purposes, yeh, I opted to end it at QCC.....

Good catch.

Nah, I'll give him more credit than that... I think what it is, is that, under the name Q90, he saw me use the word in prior posts of mine to mean what it does.... but ever since, he's been using the word out of context at times... It's the same thing Yuki did/used to do when he would use the word "premise"....

1. What does that Q90 guy have to do with this?

2. It was QJT that wanted to extend either the Q26 or the Q76 to replace the Q77 because he thought the Q77 was useless which was literally retarded.

3. Having Q12s go to Great Neck is only duplicative. Want Great Neck, use the N20/21 instead.

1. What does that Q90 guy have to do with this?

2. It was QJT that wanted to extend either the Q26 or the Q76 to replace the Q77 because he thought the Q77 was useless which was literally retarded.

3. Having Q12s go to Great Neck is only duplicative. Want Great Neck, use the N20/21 instead.

1) Everything....

Look, I don't care if you wanna re-invent yourself on here, but stop insulting our intelligence with the denial.

2) For someone "new" to this forum, you sure do remember know enough about things like this, specific to the forum....

Anyway, yeah, thanks... It was QJT.

3) Yeah....

1) Everything....

Look, I don't care if you wanna re-invent yourself on here, but stop insulting our intelligence with the denial.

2) For someone "new" to this forum, you sure do remember know enough about things like this, specific to the forum....

Anyway, yeah, thanks... It was QJT.

3) Yeah....

On #1 I'm just gonna ask how am I "insulting" your intelligence. What exactly am I saying that is "insulting". On #2 of course because before I joined I would look at the things posted on here. But really what does any of this have to do with the thread itself?

Anyways the Woodhaven Boulevard bus lines could use some improvements.

Q11/Q21: Q11 first thing I would do is eliminate that useless branch that goes to Hamilton Beach and have those buses go to Old Howard Beach instead. Ridership is low and the Old Howard Beach branch of the Q11 can easily be accessed by walking over the footbridge. Now about the scheduling the overall trunk route would (between QCM an Pitkin/Cross Bay) would run on 8 minute headways. The Q11 and Q21 individually would have 16 minute headways. At QCM when a Q11 leaves Hoffman, 8 minutes later then a Q21 would depart Hoffman and so on and so forth with that pattern. The Q21 would also have that long layover in Howard Beanch eliminated, buses would loop around the area without layover.

Q52/Q53: First thing that should be done is extend the Q52 to Woodside with the Q53. This would help relieve crowding on the Q53 which gets crushloaded from the first stop. Next thing, eliminate the stops on Broadway between Queens Boulevard and 74/Roosevelt. Last but not least, restore a super express Q53 plus add a super express Q52. The variants would be labeled Q52X and Q53X and wouldn't make any stops on Woodhaven and Cross Bay. The X variants however make all stops in Rockaway and north of Queens Boulevard.

Q11/Q21: Q11 first thing I would do is eliminate that useless branch that goes to Hamilton Beach and have those buses go to Old Howard Beach instead. Ridership is low and the Old Howard Beach branch of the Q11 can easily be accessed by walking over the footbridge. Now about the scheduling the overall trunk route would (between QCM an Pitkin/Cross Bay) would run on 8 minute headways. The Q11 and Q21 individually would have 16 minute headways. At QCM when a Q11 leaves Hoffman, 8 minutes later then a Q21 would depart Hoffman and so on and so forth with that pattern. The Q21 would also have that long layover in Howard Beanch eliminated, buses would loop around the area without layover.

Q52/Q53: First thing that should be done is extend the Q52 to Woodside with the Q53. This would help relieve crowding on the Q53 which gets crushloaded from the first stop. Next thing, eliminate the stops on Broadway between Queens Boulevard and 74/Roosevelt. Last but not least, restore a super express Q53 plus add a super express Q52. The variants would be labeled Q52X and Q53X and wouldn't make any stops on Woodhaven and Cross Bay. The X variants however make all stops in Rockaway and north of Queens Boulevard.

I could've sworn, it's like I've heard these ideas before from another member who got banned...

1. No comment on the Q11/21 thing because that point, this is a dead horse that people keep beating...

2. The reason the Q52 doesn't currently go to Roosevelt is because traffic between Woodside and Woodhaven is absolutely atrocious. Throwing the Q52 into that mess would be an absolute nightmare.

3. As of right now, the 52 and 53 have a very high average speed - they run at an average speed of 12MPH, compared with a systemwide average speed of 7MPH. Google currently estimates an average speed of 16MPH between Queens Blvd and Rockaway Blvd, so there isn't a lot of scope to improve on. It also isn't very apparent that ridership on the 52/53 warrants both an express version and a limited-stop version (and we aren't going to go all crazy with the variants like NICE has)

Edited by bobtehpanda

On #1 I'm just gonna ask how am I "insulting" your intelligence. What exactly am I saying that is "insulting".

On #2 of course because before I joined I would look at the things posted on here.

But really what does any of this have to do with the thread itself?

And I could've sworn this has nothing to do with the thread al all.

I don't care if you fess up to it or not, but cut the crap... You're "Q90" & you're not fooling me with your denial....

Don't try to play on words like you don't know what the saying of insulting someone's intelligence means, with the quoting of the word insulting....  smh....

To answer your question, Nothing.... Then again, you didn't have to address the claim either, so that goes both ways...

The fact that you're pointing out that it has nothing to do with the thread, is your way of trying to keep the spotlight off the fact that you WERE a former member here.....

On #2, of course you would post that as a defense... Because you've lurked that much on this forum to know the in's & out's of the forum like that... And to answer that question on the spot too.... Yeah, aight man....

I could've sworn, it's like I've heard these ideas before from another member who got banned...

Wonder what former member that is <_<

How exactly are these improvements.....

1. No comment on the Q11/21 thing because that point, this is a dead horse that people keep beating...

2. The reason the Q52 doesn't currently go to Roosevelt is because traffic between Woodside and Woodhaven is absolutely atrocious.

Throwing the Q52 into that mess would be an absolute nightmare.

3. As of right now, the 52 and 53 have a very high average speed - they run at an average speed of 12MPH, compared with a systemwide average speed of 7MPH. Google currently estimates an average speed of 16MPH between Queens Blvd and Rockaway Blvd, so there isn't a lot of scope to improve on. It also isn't very apparent that ridership on the 52/53 warrants both an express version and a limited-stop version (and we aren't going to go all crazy with the variants like NICE has)

I'm tired of talking about Woodhaven service on here period.... You know it's a popular topic when it's been talked about at (unexpected) length in the more popular section of the board (the subway section) on multiple occasions..... You don't need the Q52 & Q53 on Broadway up there, and this whole Q52x/Q53x thing is beyond absurd b/c of the reason you just stated (to have LTD service & super express service on Woodhaven)...

....as if there are THAT many ppl. in the Rockaways are heading up to QB & points north.

Ill go as far and say people in NE Queens tend to use the express bus (QM2/5/6/20) more often than the Q12/Q13 to Flushing, since most can afford it, or just drive. Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Ill go as far and say people in NE Queens tend to use the express bus (QM2/5/6/20) more often than the Q12/Q13 to Flushing, since most can afford it, or just drive.

I was gonna bring up a similar point, but since we weren't talking about expresses (but just within the realm of local bus service), I decided not to bring it up.... You're right though, they have the money for it..... Although I wouldn't say more folks up there use the express more often than the locals; that's a bit of a stretch.... QM2's/3's/20's would have close® to x1 type service if that were the case & Flushing - Main st (7) would be a little less of a madhouse.... lol...

QM2/20's aint no joke up there in NE Queens; I've always said the QM2 was one of the more well thought out routes in the express bus system... I side with Bounad's request/suggestion of having the 20 run to lower manhattan; I understand their plight.....

I don't care if you fess up to it or not, but cut the crap... You're "Q90" & you're not fooling me with your denial....

Don't try to play on words like you don't know what the saying of insulting someone's intelligence means, with the quoting of the word insulting....  smh....

To answer your question, Nothing.... Then again, you didn't have to address the claim either, so that goes both ways...

The fact that you're pointing out that it has nothing to do with the thread, is your way of trying to keep the spotlight off the fact that you WERE a former member here.....

On #2, of course you would post that as a defense... Because you've lurked that much on this forum to know the in's & out's of the forum like that... And to answer that question on the spot too.... Yeah, aight man....

Enough about Q90. He got banned because he acted like an idiot. You and Bob are beating a dead horse. He isn't going to come back so forget about him.

How exactly are these improvements.....

The elimination of the Hamilon Beach Branch consolidates the ridership bases from both Q11 branches. Neither branch gets much usage but the Old Howard branch gets more usage. It's better to have all Q11s go to Old Howard while having Hamilton Beach riders use the footbridge to access the bus than have two branches serve Old Howard and Hamilton with headways twice as long. The Q21 also has it's headway lengths halved so riders benefit from more frequency. Now moving on with the Q52 and Q53 the intermediate Broadway stops don't get much usage so they aren't needed.

I'm tired of talking about Woodhaven service on here period.... You know it's a popular topic when it's been talked about at (unexpected) length in the more popular section of the board (the subway section) on multiple occasions..... You don't need the Q52 & Q53 on Broadway up there, and this whole Q52x/Q53x thing is beyond absurd b/c of the reason you just stated (to have LTD service & super express service on Woodhaven)...

....as if there are THAT many ppl. in the Rockaways are heading up to QB & points north.

The Q53 gets crushloaded coming from Woodside. Extending the Q52 up there would take a large volume of riders off the Q53. Whenever I'm at Hoffman Drive waiting for the Q38, I will always see Q53s arrive packed to the brim not to mention it gets bombarded with another bus load of riders there (as if Woodside and Jackson Heights weren't bad enough).

Sometimes the Q85 lays over alongside the park on Brookville. I've noticed that years ago when the 4500s were operating out of Jamaica.