Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Why are you against a Q64 extension? Extending that route would help increase it's ridership and close service gaps in Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens by helping people get to Queens College and the QBL subway in a quick and reliable way. The extension wouldn't add that much time to the Q64's run time anyways (probably no more than 20 minutes). It's definitely a better idea than bringing back that useless Q75.

Q64 buses are already booming with ridership, those buses are packed either way. most of the times.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Q64 buses are already booming with ridership, those buses are packed either way. most of the times.

I know how crowded the Q64 gets, it's just that extending it along 73 Avenue helps benefit even more riders and helps them get to the QBL quickly and like I said before, is a much better idea than restoring the Q75.

I know how crowded the Q64 gets, it's just that extending it along 73 Avenue helps benefit even more riders and helps them get to the QBL quickly and like I said before, is a much better idea than restoring the Q75.

But it has so many riders, why add more [especially since CP will be recieve more local bus lines (?) in the future, and this whole CP-LGA ordeal is still going on] , when it's probably best to leave the Q64 alone. Those people at 164 are gonna have less seats (and by parsons, even worse). You have to take everything into account, not just from a ridership perspective. No one has tried to argue about the Q88 going to Woodhaven, and the 64 not being there. It is so simple right now, why mess it up?

But it has so many riders, why add more [especially since CP will be recieve more local bus lines (?) in the future, and this whole CP-LGA ordeal is still going on] , when it's probably best to leave the Q64 alone. Those people at 164 are gonna have less seats (and by parsons, even worse). You have to take everything into account, not just from a ridership perspective. No one has tried to argue about the Q88 going to Woodhaven, and the 64 not being there. It is so simple right now, why mess it up?

I believe it's called increasing frequency. Also why would the Q64 need to go to Woodhaven Boulevard? People use the Q64 to connect to the QBL lines or get to Queens College, not to Woodhaven or w/e. The Q64 should only be extended eastward, not westward (like that quack jacker thinks).

1. I believe it's called increasing frequency.

2. Also why would the Q64 need to go to Woodhaven Boulevard? People use the Q64 to connect to the QBL lines or get to Queens College, not to Woodhaven or w/e. The Q64 should only be extended eastward, not westward

3.(like that quack jacker thinks).

1. You didn't answer what I was asking

2. Where did I say The Q64 needs to go to Woodhaven Blvd?

3. And who is this "quacker jacker" your talking about....

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

1. You didn't answer what I was asking

2. Where did I say The Q64 needs to go to Woodhaven Blvd?

3. And who is this "quacker jacker" your talking about....

1. Because the Q64 is a quick reliable route which would benefit straphangers in Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens if it gets extended. After all there is a gap in service there which is necessary to fill.

2. Never said anything about you suggesting Q64 to Woodhaven. I was just stating why I disagreed with it.

3. I'll give you a hint: it's that same guy who proposed combining the B13 with the Q67 and extending the Q33 and Q70 to Greenpoint and Williamsburg respectively to eliminate the B24 and he suggested extending the Q26 or Q76 to be combined with the Q77 because he thought that route was useless.

Q20B, Q44, and Q76:

The Q44 is the 12th-busiest route by ridership in the MTA system, and is often prone to bus bunching. Additionally, the primary purpose of the route is to move passengers between Queens and the Bronx, but oftentimes, riders in Whitestone and along Union Street can get inconvenienced through crowded Q44 Limited buses. In the Bronx thread, I talk about a conversion of the Q44 to SBS and terminating certain runs at Parkchester (6), which I would rebrand as the Q94, separating the routes into unique markets in northern Queens.

Between Flushing and Whitestone, I would propose for the Q44 SBS, instead of using Parsons Boulevard, I would place the Q44 SBS along the Whitestone Expressway, using the Q50 route into Flushing. Stops would be placed at these locations (numbering continues from the Bronx - see that thread):

8. 20 Avenue

9. Linden Place

10. Roosevelt Avenue

11. Booth Memorial Avenue

12. Horace Harding Expressway

13. Gravett Road

14. Jewel Avenue

15. 73 Avenue

16. Union Turnpike

17. Van Wyck Expressway

18. Sutphin Boulevard/LIRR

19. Jamaica Center Parsons/Archer

20. Merrick Boulevard

Additionally, at stop 10, since that would be the only stop in Flushing, I would swap the Q25/34/65 stops and the Q44 SBS stops with each other. Between stops 17 and 18, the Q44 SBS would utilize Queens Boulevard, Jamaica Avenue, 139 Street, and Archer Avenue, to avoid heavy turns on Sutphin Boulevard and traffic along Sutphin.

I would additionally propose the deletion of the Q20B, the weekday-only branch of the Q20. These trips would instead be folded into the Q94 service, which would have some trips from the Bronx terminating at Main Street, using a turnaround of Kissena, Sanford, and Main, with Q94 and Q20 service providing the local service to Jamaica, but ending at the LIRR station (service to Jamaica CBD would remain on the Q44 SBS). When it does not run, the Q20 (to the end of service) and the Q94 would run to Merrick Boulevard.

To replace the Q20B along 14 Avenue, the Q76 would be rerouted from 20 Avenue to 14 Avenue, continuing along 14 Avenue to 132 Street, then using 132 Street to 20 Avenue, and then turning east onto 20 Avenue, terminating just past the Target.

Customers who use Main Street local services to transfer to buses at Jamaica Center would have a 3-legged transfer.

Edited by aemoreira81

Q20B, Q44, and Q76:

The Q44 is the 12th-busiest route by ridership in the MTA system, and is often prone to bus bunching. Additionally, the primary purpose of the route is to move passengers between Queens and the Bronx, but oftentimes, riders in Whitestone and along Union Street can get inconvenienced through crowded Q44 Limited buses. In the Bronx thread, I talk about a conversion of the Q44 to SBS and terminating certain runs at Parkchester (6), which I would rebrand as the Q94, separating the routes into unique markets in northern Queens.

Between Flushing and Whitestone, I would propose for the Q44 SBS, instead of using Parsons Boulevard, I would place the Q44 SBS along the Whitestone Expressway, using the Q50 route into Flushing. Stops would be placed at these locations (numbering continues from the Bronx - see that thread):

8. 20 Avenue

9. Linden Place

10. Roosevelt Avenue

11. Booth Memorial Avenue

12. Horace Harding Expressway

13. Gravett Road

14. Jewel Avenue

15. 73 Avenue

16. Union Turnpike

17. Van Wyck Expressway

18. Sutphin Boulevard/LIRR

19. Jamaica Center Parsons/Archer

20. Merrick Boulevard

Additionally, at stop 10, since that would be the only stop in Flushing, I would swap the Q25/34/65 stops and the Q44 SBS stops with each other. Between stops 17 and 18, the Q44 SBS would utilize Queens Boulevard, Jamaica Avenue, 139 Street, and Archer Avenue, to avoid heavy turns on Sutphin Boulevard and traffic along Sutphin.

I would additionally propose the deletion of the Q20B, the weekday-only branch of the Q20. These trips would instead be folded into the Q94 service, which would have some trips from the Bronx terminating at Main Street, using a turnaround of Kissena, Sanford, and Main, with Q94 and Q20 service providing the local service to Jamaica, but ending at the LIRR station (service to Jamaica CBD would remain on the Q44 SBS). When it does not run, the Q20 (to the end of service) and the Q94 would run to Merrick Boulevard.

To replace the Q20B along 14 Avenue, the Q76 would be rerouted from 20 Avenue to 14 Avenue, continuing along 14 Avenue to 132 Street, then using 132 Street to 20 Avenue, and then turning east onto 20 Avenue, terminating just past the Target.

Customers who use Main Street local services to transfer to buses at Jamaica Center would have a 3-legged transfer.

Alright about the Q44:

-SBS I can agree on that I guess

-Putting the Q44 on the Whitestone Expressway I do not agree with that though. It's needed on Union Street and Parsons Boulevard. The Q20 would underserve the area. Plus the Q44 wouldn't be any faster on the Whitestone anyways.

-The reroute onto 139 Street isn't necessary. If anything the Q60 should be moved back there.

About the Q20/Q76:

What I would do differently is have the Q20 utilize 14 Avenue until 132 Street, then make a left and barrel down the street to 20 Avenue, then use the Q20A routing to CP. the Q76 would be extended to the Q20's terminus in College Point by having it make a right on 132 Street from 20 Avenue then a left onto 14 Avenue and use the Q20B routing to the Q20 terminus. I do not agree on having Q76s stay on 14 Avenue west of Parsons Boulevard as it needs to stop directly in front of the mall. The Q20 as long as it is on 132 Street, you can get away with that issue.

1. Because the Q64 is a quick reliable route which would benefit straphangers in Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens if it gets extended. After all there is a gap in service there which is necessary to fill.

The Q64 is already an overcrowded route, and Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens residents have many options to take them to the subway. The "service gap" between the Q64 and Q88 has frequent buses running within a quarter-mile to half-mile walk (four blocks in either direction), so it's not as big of an issue as you're making it to be.

With the Q64's crowding, extension would require a LTD route, and reliability would decrease because of increased dwell times. You'd literally be destroying what makes the Q64 quick and reliable - it's quick and reliable because it's short.

Absolutely not. No one would utilize stops along the Van Wyck - that is easily the widest, most inhospitable highway in the five boroughs, with very little commercial or residential adjoining the service roads. On the other hand, Parsons is surrounded by dense mid-rise developments, and needs every bit of service it can get.

No but then it's going to be unreliable and we don't want that :( it already has 11,000+ riders going to work and school.

The Q64 is already an overcrowded route, and Fresh Meadows and Oakland Gardens residents have many options to take them to the subway. The "service gap" between the Q64 and Q88 has frequent buses running within a quarter-mile to half-mile walk (four blocks in either direction), so it's not as big of an issue as you're making it to be.

With the Q64's crowding, extension would require a LTD route, and reliability would decrease because of increased dwell times. You'd literally be destroying what makes the Q64 quick and reliable - it's quick and reliable because it's short.

Absolutely not. No one would utilize stops along the Van Wyck - that is easily the widest, most inhospitable highway in the five boroughs, with very little commercial or residential adjoining the service roads. On the other hand, Parsons is surrounded by dense mid-rise developments, and needs every bit of service it can get.

That is where the Q94 comes in---serving Parsons from the Bronx and Parkchester. The Q44 SBS would be designed to get people between Flushing and the Bronx quickly, while the Q94 would be the "slow boat".

The extension of the Q64 wouldn't make the route that route unreliable as it wouldn't add any more than 20 minutes to the total running time. The Q64 wouldn't need a limited either as it would still be fast. Also those "frequent" routes you mentioned aren't actually frequent and are unreliable. Q88 bunches and it usually takes a long time for the bus to come and it only connects to the QBL local lines. The Q64 connects to the express lines as well. Another thing about the Q64 I would do is reduce the layover time in Forest Hills. The lines there are ridiculous because the layover is so long and I would adjust the headways so it runs every 5 minutes during off peak instead of the current 7-10 as I do feel it isn't frequent enough for Q64 riders.

That is where the Q94 comes in---serving Parsons from the Bronx and Parkchester. The Q44 SBS would be designed to get people between Flushing and the Bronx quickly, while the Q94 would be the "slow boat".

The Q94 was supposed to be a quick LTD, not a slow local. Putting the Q44 on Whitestone would only deter ridership for no good reason and the Q20 alone is too infrequent for Parsons Boulevard and Union Street. Q94 should just follow the Q50 until after crossing over the Whitestone Bridge.

No but then it's going to be unreliable and we don't want that :( it already has 11,000+ riders going to work and school.

It wouldn't be unreliable since it wouldn't add much time to the Q64's route and it's not like 73 Avenue gets congested either, even during rush hours. In order for a route to be unreliable, it has to be slow and/or bunch which the Q64 is far from even with an extension. Edited by Q67 via Borden

I think the Q88 is good enough even though its headways and reliability could be better. All people have to do is switch to a Express train if they don't want to be on a slower local train.

On Sunday the Q88 starts at 9:00-9:50 which is unbelievable it should at least start at 7:00 maybe only running to 188th st 64Ave.

The Q64 is good the way it is, almost every stop going towards Queens Blvd has people getting on.

I think the Q88 is good enough even though its headways and reliability could be better. All people have to do is switch to a Express train if they don't want to be on a slower local train.

On Sunday the Q88 starts at 9:00-9:50 which is unbelievable it should at least start at 7:00 maybe only running to 188th st 64Ave.

The Q64 is good the way it is, almost every stop going towards Queens Blvd has people getting on.

Yes I think the Q88 should run earlier on Sundays.

The first bus should leave from Utopia Pkwy though, at 7:50 AM, then at Francis Lewis Blvd and 73 Avenue at 8:14 AM.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Yes I think the Q88 should run earlier on Sundays.

The first bus should leave from Utopia Pkwy though, at 7:50 AM, then at Francis Lewis Blvd and 73 Avenue at 8:14 AM.

Which is arbitrary.....

I do agree with giving the Q88 overnight service but not short turning buses at F. Lewis/73 Avenue or Utopia/HHE because they aren't the best places to start a bus route imo. Maybe Springfield/73 Avenue makes more sense. By the way how about if the crosstown HHE was another route, maybe the Q87 and the Q88 stays the way it is? They would share their routing until 188 Street where the Q88 turns off the HHE and the Q30 would still be truncated to QCC while the Q87 replaces it to Little Neck Plaza.

Edited by Q67 via Borden

The stops on the Q64 though are further apart so it would still be quick even though it stops at every stop. About transferring that's a big no. What would they transfer to? The Q23? People don't want to transfer to another bus just to get to the QBL Express. The Q64 extension helps Fresh Meadows get the QBL Express without having to use the pathetically infrequent local trains to then transfer to the (E) or (F). That stint on 73 Avenue between 164 Street and 188 Street is underserved and there is demand for bus service. Those people walk down to the Q46 which is unreliable and extremely overcrowded. Q64 is more frequent an quicker so they would use it instead of that Q46.

Which is arbitrary.....

I do agree with giving the Q88 overnight service but not short turning buses at F. Lewis/73 Avenue or Utopia/HHE because they aren't the best places to start a bus route imo. Maybe Springfield/73 Avenue makes more sense. By the way how about if the crosstown HHE was another route, maybe the Q87 and the Q88 stays the way it is? They would share their routing until 188 Street where the Q88 turns off the HHE and the Q30 would still be truncated to QCC while the Q87 replaces it to Little Neck Plaza.

How is it arbitrary.

Springfield/73 isn't a timepoint on the Q88, and we got enough crap on those timetables already (*= bus starts 12 minutes earlier at xxxxxxxxxx). Most ridership (if you do take the Q88 every day, in which you don't, and I do, for a good 7 months now) is noted to come West of Utopia. Hell you got short-turns at Utopia there to start with anyways on weekdays (not shown on the schedule). From Utopia and on, it's generally not so crowded.

Francis Lewis Blvd/ 73 Avenue starting point is basically to maintain some service in that area earlier, to not overserve the part of the route in Queens Village.

24/7 service is not needed, just a waste of buses at that time.

All the Q88 needs is more buses between FL and QCM (I mean starting from HHE and Francis Lewis Blvd) in the morning and Vice versa in the PM, no need to have a Q87 crosstown, the Q30 does a good job with it's amount of buses in that area.

How is it arbitrary.

Springfield/73 isn't a timepoint on the Q88, and we got enough crap on those timetables already (*= bus starts 12 minutes earlier at xxxxxxxxxx). Most ridership (if you do take the Q88 every day, in which you don't, and I do, for a good 7 months now) is noted to come West of Utopia. Hell you got short-turns at Utopia there to start with anyways on weekdays (not shown on the schedule). From Utopia and on, it's generally not so crowded.

Francis Lewis Blvd/ 73 Avenue starting point is basically to maintain some service in that area earlier, to not overserve the part of the route in Queens Village.

24/7 service is not needed, just a waste of buses at that time.

All the Q88 needs is more buses between FL and QCM (I mean starting from HHE and Francis Lewis Blvd) in the morning and Vice versa in the PM, no need to have a Q87 crosstown, the Q30 does a good job with it's amount of buses in that area.

So there's no need to have Q88 run overnight or have all of then go to QV but is there a need for the Q88 to go to Middle Village to replace the Q38 on Eliot Avenue? I've used Q88 as well and I can tell you that your proposal to send the Q88 there isn't gonna fly. Q88 has no business running west of Queens Boulevard and that route is long and unreliable enough. But I digress amd back to the point about an HHE crosstown there is demand for that since I do see people xfer from Q88s to Q30s although apparently you don't. Maybe those Q88 short turns could be converted into Q87s going to Little Neck Plaza. Truncating all Q30s at QCC also increases service to the area and few people go to Jamaica from there, most of them want Flushing anyways and the Q36 already goes to Jamaica from LNP.

1.So there's no need to have Q88 run overnight or have all of then go to QV but is there a need for the Q88 to go to Middle Village to replace the Q38 on Eliot Avenue? I've used Q88 as well and I can tell you that your proposal to send the Q88 there isn't gonna fly. Q88 has no business running west of Queens Boulevard and that route is long and unreliable enough.

2.But I digress amd back to the point about an HHE crosstown there is demand for that since I do see people xfer from Q88s to Q30s although apparently you don't. Maybe those Q88 short turns could be converted into Q87s going to Little Neck Plaza. Truncating all Q30s at QCC also increases service to the area and few people go to Jamaica from there, most of them want Flushing anyways and the Q36 already goes to Jamaica from LNP.

1.Woah woah woah, this is from several months ago, where did I ever state recently that the 88 should go to Middle Village. If you are trying to evade from talking about why the short turns locations mentioned, and why late night service would/would not work, then don't bother quoting.

2. I've been taking the Q88 for years, but as of almost a year ago , took it only certain days (now daily). I have NEVER in my life seen someone transfer to the Q30/Q88 and vice versa. Just because you've seen it once or twice, doesn't mean there's demand. 

Those Q88 short turns do other QV lines, the current Q88 set-up only up to HHE/Francis Lewis Blvd  is fine. There's no need for a HHE crosstown, it has "bad idea" ridden all over.

written all over it.

That stint on 73 Avenue between 164 Street and 188 Street is underserved and there is demand for bus service.

An existing gap does not automatically mean there is demand for bus service.... That's a huge assumption that ppl. tend to make in this (transit) community.....

- Much like Oakland Gdns, Fresh Meadows folks (also) wanted the Q75 back (even though they had/still have the Q17).... They really don't care for an extended Q64 into their area....

- Utopia (the neighborhood) is car country; I bet there are a lot of ppl. that don't even know the Q30/31 exists, let alone care to clamor for extended Q64's into their area....

Q88 has no business running west of Queens Boulevard and that route is long and unreliable enough.

I've made that point to Q23 several times back when he made that suggestion... Same deal went for QJT's wanting to extend Q64's westward to take over the Q23 west of QB....

All the Q88 needs is more buses between FL and QCM (I mean starting from HHE and Francis Lewis Blvd) in the morning and Vice versa in the PM.....

I wouldn't start buses @ Francis Lewis either (it is arbitrary b/c it's in the middle of nothing in-particular... Whatever usage the Q88 would get there would be almost 100% reliant on whoever's coming off Q76's in either direction), but the general point you're trying to drive home is why I would truncate Q88's to Union Tpke....

Even though Francis Lewis is well before Springfield/union tpke, having buses terminate @ francis lewis would actually be less efficient because you'd be serving less ppl/distance covered.... I guarantee you'd snatch more schoolkids (and more of other passengers) & what not from starting buses @ Union Tpke, compared to Francis Lewis.... What hampers the current Q88's performance (or w/e you wanna call it) is that they come all the way from LIRR QV, and IMO, the route doesn't have to travel that far down springfield.....

Edited by B35 via Church

...amd back to the point about an HHE crosstown there is demand for that since I do see people xfer from Q88s to Q30s although apparently you don't. Maybe those Q88 short turns could be converted into Q87s going to Little Neck Plaza. Truncating all Q30s at QCC also increases service to the area and few people go to Jamaica from there, most of them want Flushing anyways and the Q36 already goes to Jamaica from LNP.

I have NEVER in my life seen someone transfer to the Q30/Q88 and vice versa. Just because you've seen it once or twice, doesn't mean there's demand. 

I wouldn't say I've never seen it happen.... But if the point is that it's a Highly uncommon xfer scenario, I have to agree with Q23 on this one.

Folks are not commonly xferring b/w those two routes.... Even if, That wasn't one of the reasons behind having a "HHE crosstown" (as it's put on here) anyway....

1.Woah woah woah, this is from several months ago, where did I ever state recently that the 88 should go to Middle Village. If you are trying to evade from talking about why the short turns locations mentioned, and why late night service would/would not work, then don't bother quoting.

2. I've been taking the Q88 for years, but as of almost a year ago , took it only certain days (now daily). I have NEVER in my life seen someone transfer to the Q30/Q88 and vice versa. Just because you've seen it once or twice, doesn't mean there's demand. 

Those Q88 short turns do other QV lines, the current Q88 set-up only up to HHE/Francis Lewis Blvd  is fine. There's no need for a HHE crosstown, it has "bad idea" ridden all over.

written all over it.

1. Had nothing to do with trying to "justify BS with BS" or w/e you want to call it. I was just bringing up that you wanted to tamper with the Q88 too.

2. I've used the Q88 more than a few times to Fresh Meadows and I can tell you every time I do, I always see folks transfer to the Q30, you probably aren't there at the right time

3. Well this Q87 crosstown is also intended to supplement the Q88 on the most utilized portion (between QCM and 188 Street/HHE). Basically it's nothing more than a branch of the Q88 that is an HHE crosstown.

I wouldn't say I've never seen it happen.... But if the point is that it's a Highly uncommon xfer scenario, I have to agree with Q23 on this one.

Folks are not commonly xferring b/w those two routes.... Even if, That wasn't one of the reasons behind having a "HHE crosstown" (as it's put on here) anyway....

I was also planning on having this Q87 be extended Q88 short turns and increase service on the most utilized portion between QCM and 188 Street without over serving the rest of the Q88 route and it replaces the Q30 east of Springfield Boulevard so they could all short turn at QCC to increase service there. Anyone at LNP who wants Jamaica (which are few btw) could use the Q36 instead.

An existing gap does not automatically mean there is demand for bus service.... That's a huge assumption that ppl. tend to make in this (transit) community.....

- Much like Oakland Gdns, Fresh Meadows folks (also) wanted the Q75 back (even though they had/still have the Q17).... They really don't care for an extended Q64 into their area....

- Utopia (the neighborhood) is car country; I bet there are a lot of ppl. that don't even know the Q30/31 exists, let alone care to clamor for extended Q64's into their area....

Well the Q75 isn't coming back nor do I want it to. That route was downright useless. All it did was duplicate the Q17 and Q88 on 188 Street and 73 Avenue. It was also infrequent and ran weekdays only. And I wonder why Fresh Meadows would want the Q75 to return, especially since the Q17 is very frequent too. Heck, if you were in Oakland Gardens, you were better off taking the Q27 or Q88 to the Q1 or Q43 to get to Jamaica as waiting for a Q75 often took longer than using it from end to end.