Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

LOL... I just saw this... He can't seriously think that people from the North Shore Towers (which by the way is a gated community is going to take the local bus).  :lol: That's like people in Fieldston using the local bus.... Not happening.

I will say this though.... It's interesting that they in essence have their own express bus, since the QM6's destination is the North Shore Towers. I can't think of any express bus that serves a condo or cooperative exclusively the way the QM6 does.  In Riverdale our express buses pass by several huge co-ops with stops almost outside the door, but they don't make that the destination point.  It makes me wonder how well used is the QM6 at that complex?

Smh people still want to send local buses to NST? If local service was demanded (which it obviously isn't) then the Q46 would serve NST. If anyone wants NST from a local bus, they can use the Q46 to LIJ Hopsital and walk from there because there is no reason to have anything other than the QM6 go there if the residents won't use that service.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely more demand than having it end at Vernon-Jackson but what the Q103 needs is to be combined with the B32 (I know Q90 suggested that idea a while ago but I do have to agree with that). That route only has about 5 people on each bus and it runs 20 minute headways plus it's weekdays only.

That idea isnt suitable,you arent gonna have the happening for another 4 years or so. besides this is some purposes so that isn't a good ides either.

Smh people still want to send local buses to NST? If local service was demanded (which it obviously isn't) then the Q46 would serve NST. If anyone wants NST from a local bus, they can use the Q46 to LIJ Hopsital and walk from there because there is no reason to have anything other than the QM6 go there if the residents won't use that service.

lol... North Shore Towers has a website.  They already have services that can accommodate people if need be locally (a courtesy bus), so there is no need to have the local bus stop there and the only thing they advertise is the QM express buses QM6 which stops at each building and the LIRR to the city.  Other than that no one living in a gated community is going to be heading to the local bus.

http://www.northshoretowers.com/images/press_kit.pdf

http://www.northshoretowers.com/amenities.htm

It's a status thing.  I like how they describe the express bus as riding in comfort. :lol:  It has to be pretty snobby to be served by an express bus and from the brochure I read, it seems that way, esp. with the Country Club and all.

I must admit.  I like the idea of having the express bus in front of your door in a gated community.  I may check that place out.  :D

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... North Shore Towers has a website. They already have services that can accommodate people if need be locally (a courtesy bus), so there is no need to have the local bus stop there and the only thing they advertise is the QM express buses QM6 which stops at each building and the LIRR to the city. Other than that no one living in a gated community is going to be heading to the local bus.

http://www.northshoretowers.com/images/press_kit.pdf

http://www.northshoretowers.com/amenities.htm

It's a status thing. I like how they describe the express bus as riding in comfort. :lol: It has to be pretty snobby to be served by an express bus and from the brochure I read, it seems that way, esp. with the Country Club and all.

I must admit. I like the idea of having the express bus in front of your door in a gated community. I may check that place out. :D

m

They need to advertise the QM1A more (and these people wait forever because all they'll see is QM6).

m

They need to advertise the QM1A more (and these people wait forever because all they'll see is QM6).

LOL... Well of course the website is outdated... Did the QM1 and QM1A both go there? I assume one is currently the QM5 and the other is the QM6, but I'm sure some of them just drive over to the QM5 if they can't get to the QM6 in time.  It's close enough to the towers.

LOL... Well of course the website is outdated... Did the QM1 and QM1A both go there? I assume one is currently the QM5 and the other is the QM6, but I'm sure some of them just drive over to the QM5 if they can't get to the QM6 in time. It's close enough to the towers.

Just the QM1A, the QM1 was too short of there.

The current one is the QM6.

That idea isnt suitable,you arent gonna have the happening for another 4 years or so. besides this is some purposes so that isn't a good ides either.

I already have emailed this particular suggestion to the  (MTA) . Even if the B32 is operated by NYCT and Q103 is operated by MTA Bus, it would  deserve some serious consideration at least because you can't deny how bad the Q103's ridership is currently and that an Astoria-Williamsburg bus route is necessary.

So where did the QM5 come from? It had to have been a QM1A branch...

Here is how they renumbered the QM1/A:

QM1: Fresh Meadows-Midtown

QM5: Glen Oaks-Midtown

QM6: Lake Success/NST-Midtown

QM7: Fresh Meadows-Downtown

QM8: Glen Oaks-Downtown

I already have emailed this particular suggestion to the  (MTA) . Even if the B32 is operated by NYCT and Q103 is operated by MTA Bus, it would  deserve some serious consideration at least because you can't deny how bad the Q103's ridership is currently and that an Astoria-Williamsburg bus route is necessary.

Yeah I figured that out already because I saw a 2009 QM1/QM1A schedule not that long ago.  That was a stupid set up because if the B/O put up the wrong sign, you're pretty much screwed if say you need the QM1A to Lake Success but the B/O has the QM1A Glen Oaks sign up.

Yeah I figured that out already because I saw a 2009 QM1/QM1A schedule not that long ago.  That was a stupid set up because if the B/O put up the wrong sign, you're pretty much screwed if say you need the QM1A to Lake Success but the B/O has the QM1A Glen Oaks sign up.

Couldn't agree more. This is why bus route shouldn't have two branches with both having the exact same label. I honesty for example think the B41 Bergen Beach branch should be called the B40 as who knows if it has the wrong sign or not  :lol: !

I already have emailed this particular suggestion to the (MTA) . Even if the B32 is operated by NYCT and Q103 is operated by MTA Bus, it would deserve some serious consideration at least because you can't deny how bad the Q103's ridership is currently and that an Astoria-Williamsburg bus route is necessary.

However the Q103 doesn't really serve the parts of Astoria that people would normally go to.

Besides the Q103 is reinbursed by the city, and the B32 isn't.

The Q103/B32 doesn't even have similar headways, so that isn't gonna work out (no way things on both routes gonna get more frequent).

However the Q103 doesn't really serve the parts of Astoria that people would normally go to.

Besides the Q103 is reinbursed by the city, and the B32 isn't.

The Q103/B32 doesn't even have similar headways, so that isn't gonna work out (no way things on both routes gonna get more frequent).

Well the Q103 would be extended to the Ditmars Boulevard  (N)  (Q) station, basically like how that Q90 guy proposed it. Only thing that I would propose differently is that I wouldn't have the Q103 serve Queens Plaza as it wouldn't be necessary as the B62 and  (M) already go from QBP to Williamsburg plus the Q103 would maintain more of it's existing routing if it only went to CSQ.

Well the Q103 would be extended to the Ditmars Boulevard  (N)  (Q) station, basically like how that Q90 guy proposed it. Only thing that I would propose differently is that I wouldn't have the Q103 serve Queens Plaza as it wouldn't be necessary as the B62 and  (M) already go from QBP to Williamsburg plus the Q103 would maintain more of it's existing routing if it only went to CSQ.

Do you like read this guy's blogs or something..... 

lol..... (hmm, interesting indeed)

I would just leave the Q103 alone as it is.

Do you like read this guy's blogs or something..... 

lol..... (hmm, interesting indeed)

I would just leave the Q103 alone as it is.

Lol not really. I just happen to like a few particular ideas of his but some of his ideas were pretty dumb like that Q13 to Cambria Heights (I was like WTH when I read that). Back to the topic you do realize the Q103 currently has lower ridership than any local bus route in NYC right? The Q103 is almost useless in it's current form as it doesn't go anywhere. Well bro, we'll see what the (MTA) says when I get their feedback.

Lol not really. I just happen to like a few particular ideas of his but some of his ideas were pretty dumb like that Q13 to Cambria Heights (I was like WTH when I read that). Back to the topic you do realize the Q103 currently has lower ridership than any local bus route in NYC right? The Q103 is almost useless in it's current form as it doesn't go anywhere. Well bro, we'll see what the (MTA) says when I get their feedback.

I find it funny you know all about his plans and what not.

Anyways, good luck in making the MTA listen. They'll come up with a limited amount of money thing, lol. The MTA doesnt pay for the Q103, while they do for the B32 (the city reimburses the Q103).

I find it funny you know all about his plans and what not.

Anyways, good luck in making the MTA listen. They'll come up with a limited amount of money thing, lol. The MTA doesnt pay for the Q103, while they do for the B32 (the city reimburses the Q103).

Well combining the two does help them save money. It costs less money to operate one longer route than two shorter ones except under certain circumstances (like massive traffic that neither the Q103 or B32 experience). You're right that MTAB and NYCT thing may get in the way of combining the two unless they both agree, but again good luck with that. 

q20 a&b consolidated the B branch stays and takes the A'S frequencies and able to interline the q76

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e8bef02173a3eddb0

q76 terminal extended to cover old q20A branch and available to interline with q20, q17 takes it's place at 165th bus terminal

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e8bfc81db31053c01

It's not a consolidation, it's a cut.... It's like saying today's Bxm4 is a consolidation of the old BxM4a & BxM4b (which it wasn't a consolidation, it was a cut of the 4b).....

What you're doing with this whole thing is cutting the Q20a to have the Q76 take its place...

One problem with that is, the Q76 doesn't serve Flushing.... You're forcing xfers or long walks for no real reason.....

Another problem with that is, you would overserve 14th av & underserve 20th av with your plan...  North of 20th, service would die - which is what happens with the current 20b..... IMO, the MTA has it right here - coverage headways for 14th av & service from different parts/corridors/whatever you wanna call it, of Queens to College pt. mall... Who knows where the 76 would've ended if that mall didn't exist....

As for a vacant spot inside 165th, I'd put the Q54 there.....

With one lane only, Q17 is way too frequent to have buses ending inside 165th; it would need 2 lanes.....

Actually I agree with him that the Q20A should be eliminated as it is a bit redundant to the Q76 on 20 Avenue.

It isn't redundant to the Q76 at all.... I can almost guarantee that nobody uses the Q20a & the Q76 interchangably.....

What you're saying is like saying the B25 is redundant to the B26 is redundant to the B52 because all 3 of those routes end at/around ridgewood terminal, while traveling/sharing a portion of their route (fulton st, in this example) in the process.....

Just b/c the Q20a & the Q76 utilize 20th av in College pt & they both end in Jamaica doesn't make them redundant...

You said it yourself - "Q76 isn't very frequent, you're correct about that however it is a quick link from College Point to Jamaica without having to go through Flushing"

Is there a demand for the Q103 to terminate at Court Square?

None that I know of, no..... That community board down there though continually clamors for direct bus service to manhattan...

(not with the 103 necessarily, but in general)

Q76 as indirect as it may look is actually is better than the Q20, Q25, or Q65 if you're going from College Point to Jamaica. 

The only reason more people use the Q20A is because it is more frequent.

- First statement I agree with.... The Q76 is a hell of a time-saver if you're going from Jamaica to that mall up in College pt.

The walk from/to the Q25 or the Q65 to/from the mall, I hope you like hiking (lol)....

- Second statement though.... If the Q20b were more frequent than the Q20a, that would be a waste of resources/poor distribution of service....  There are simply more ppl. that utilize the Q20a along 20th than folks that utilize Q20b's along 14th.... The Q20b is nothing more than a supplementary coverage route.... The Q20a isn't more frequent just because...

Lol not really. I just happen to like a few particular ideas of his but some of his ideas were pretty dumb like that Q13 to Cambria Heights (I was like WTH when I read that). Back to the topic you do realize the Q103 currently has lower ridership than any local bus route in NYC right? The Q103 is almost useless in it's current form as it doesn't go anywhere. Well bro, we'll see what the (MTA) says when I get their feedback.

The Bx24 isn't that far ahead of the Q103 either. Matter of fact if the Q103 was ran by NYCT back in 2009 and 2010 it probably would have been eliminated with the Q104 possibly extended down to Queens Plaza. The Q103 is useless because the areas in mainly serves is right near the waterside with lot of industrial and small little businesses. People in Astoria have the Q18, or Q102 to the (N)(Q) trains. The first train the Q103 serves is the (F) of course it doesn't get that many riders on Vernon because service is crap on the Q103 and not many people live over there.

IMO, the Q103 is an alternative to the Q102 between Astoria and Long Island City. I actually do see buses that are half full on the Q103 sometimes.

The Q103 however doesn't go to QBP like the Q102 so I wouldn't call it an alternative. The Q102 is slightly better than the Q103 anyways since it runs on weekends.

It's not a consolidation, it's a cut.... It's like saying today's Bxm4 is a consolidation of the old BxM4a & BxM4b (which it wasn't a consolidation, it was a cut of the 4b).....

What you're doing with this whole thing is cutting the Q20a to have the Q76 take its place...

One problem with that is, the Q76 doesn't serve Flushing.... You're forcing xfers or long walks for no real reason.....

Another problem with that is, you would overserve 14th av & underserve 20th av with your plan...  North of 20th, service would die - which is what happens with the current 20b..... IMO, the MTA has it right here - coverage headways for 14th av & service from different parts/corridors/whatever you wanna call it, of Queens to College pt. mall... Who knows where the 76 would've ended if that mall didn't exist....

As for a vacant spot inside 165th, I'd put the Q54 there.....

With one lane only, Q17 is way too frequent to have buses ending inside 165th; it would need 2 lanes.....

It isn't redundant to the Q76 at all.... I can almost guarantee that nobody uses the Q20a & the Q76 interchangably.....

What you're saying is like saying the B25 is redundant to the B26 is redundant to the B52 because all 3 of those routes end at/around ridgewood terminal, while traveling/sharing a portion of their route (fulton st, in this example) in the process.....

Just b/c the Q20a & the Q76 utilize 20th av in College pt & they both end in Jamaica doesn't make them redundant...

You said it yourself - "Q76 isn't very frequent, you're correct about that however it is a quick link from College Point to Jamaica without having to go through Flushing"

None that I know of, no..... That community board down there though continually clamors for direct bus service to manhattan...

(not with the 103 necessarily, but in general)

- First statement I agree with.... The Q76 is a hell of a time-saver if you're going from Jamaica to that mall up in College pt.

The walk from/to the Q25 or the Q65 to/from the mall, I hope you like hiking (lol)....

- Second statement though.... If the Q20b were more frequent than the Q20a, that would be a waste of resources/poor distribution of service....  There are simply more ppl. that utilize the Q20a along 20th than folks that utilize Q20b's along 14th.... The Q20b is nothing more than a supplementary coverage route.... The Q20a isn't more frequent just because...

More people use the Q20A because it also stops in front of the mall unlike the Q20B. 14 Avenue though still is a short walk from the north side of the mall. I'm saying if the Q20A trips were converted into Q20Bs, those people who utilize Q20As would simply take Q20Bs instead (which would be relabeled to simply Q20). About saying the B25, B26, and B52 being redundant I'll stop you there. The B26 and B52 have to use Fulton Street to get to Downtown Brooklyn. Also just because two bus routes share a common terminal doesn't make them redundant because the B26 and B52 serve different intermediate areas.

The Bx24 isn't that far ahead of the Q103 either. Matter of fact if the Q103 was ran by NYCT back in 2009 and 2010 it probably would have been eliminated with the Q104 possibly extended down to Queens Plaza. The Q103 is useless because the areas in mainly serves is right near the waterside with lot of industrial and small little businesses. People in Astoria have the Q18, or Q102 to the (N)(Q) trains. The first train the Q103 serves is the (F) of course it doesn't get that many riders on Vernon because service is crap on the Q103 and not many people live over there.

Speaking of the Bx24, that route could be replaced by extending every other Bx4 to Country Club along it's routing since it is basically an extension of the Bx4. Also who would use a Q104 to QBP when the Q32, Q60, and (7) train already go there from where the Q104 ends in Sunnyside?

More people use the Q20A because it also stops in front of the mall unlike the Q20B. 14 Avenue though still is a short walk from the north side of the mall. I'm saying if the Q20A trips were converted into Q20Bs, those people who utilize Q20As would simply take Q20Bs instead (which would be relabeled to simply Q20). About saying the B25, B26, and B52 being redundant I'll stop you there. The B26 and B52 have to use Fulton Street to get to Downtown Brooklyn. Also just because two bus routes share a common terminal doesn't make them redundant because the B26 and B52 serve different intermediate areas.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Hold up.

1. 14th Av is uphill from 20th Av.

2. In the big box stores area (not a mall), there are no cross streets that go all the way to 14th Av.

3. Unless you consider walking next to the Van Wyck pleasant, the nearest cross streets going to 14th Av run through industrial areas, loading zones, etc.

No one in their right mind is going to walk from 20th to 14th, especially if they're holding lots of big bags from Target or BJs or any of those other stores.

More people use the Q20A because it also stops in front of the mall unlike the Q20B. 14 Avenue though still is a short walk from the north side of the mall.

I'm saying if the Q20A trips were converted into Q20Bs, those people who utilize Q20As would simply take Q20Bs instead (which would be relabeled to simply Q20).

Yes, of course the 20a gets the usage over the 20b b/c it serves the mall.... That's the point.

A short walk from north side of the mall? The entrances to the stores are all on the south end of the mall (20th av)...

As far as the conversion/idea is concerned.... I get what you're saying - I simply don't agree with the logic.... It is not as easy as having current Q20a riders shift onto Q20b's & expect those same Q20a riders to walk from 14th av. to get to the mall.... I can guarantee you'd lose ridership on that Q20 relabeled route or w/e..... I mean, if that's the end goal here with believing such a move should happen, then I would say mission accomplished (this goes out to BreedDekalb as well)....

.....About saying the B25, B26, and B52 being redundant I'll stop you there. The B26 and B52 have to use Fulton Street to get to Downtown Brooklyn. Also just because two bus routes share a common terminal doesn't make them redundant because the B26 and B52 serve different intermediate areas.

Comprehension man... comprehension....

Never said or implicated those 3 routes were redundant.... At all.

It was an example I used to illustrate how the Q76 & the Q20a are not redundant...

The point I was making in that example was, the B25/26/52 are not redundant b/c they share a portion of their route & have a common terminal - Just like the Q76 is not redundant to the Q20a b/c they also share a portion of their route (along 20th av) {and also, the fact that they both end in the neighborhoods of college point & jamaica}.

I don't know why you bothered to reiterate the same counter-argument I made to you, back at me....

All you did with that was further invalidate your original claim of the Q76 being a bit redundant to the Q20a....

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Hold up.

1. 14th Av is uphill from 20th Av.

2. In the big box stores area (not a mall), there are no cross streets that go all the way to 14th Av.

3. Unless you consider walking next to the Van Wyck pleasant, the nearest cross streets going to 14th Av run through industrial areas, loading zones, etc.

No one in their right mind is going to walk from 20th to 14th, especially if they're holding lots of big bags from Target or BJs or any of those other stores.

From 14th, you either gotta:

- swing all the way to the van wyck service rd & back west across 20th (nobody's doing that, that's OUT!), or....

- make your way over to that chase bank on 132nd, then down towards the jetro, to 20th.... That block is where the Q76 goes on layover.

(hell, that only gets you to the staples & the waldbaums anyway - hardly the reasons you have as many ppl. taking buses to that mall.)

This idea that we're gonna shift Q20 service to 14th & have mall seekers walking from parsons/20th or 14th/132nd is ridiculous....