Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

If you're referring to the statement (where I said something along the lines of I don't like the QM1 , although the irony is that I use it), then yeah, but that was eons ago. I haven't been talking about the express in chat as of lately, although I have talked about suing the QM5 to the QM24 home, which still has nothing to do with the topic at hand. The fact that I sometimes myself end up using the QM1 with my erratic week schedule instead of the QM5 when I use either of the two tells keeps telling me the same story each time; been riding the pair for over a year, and everytime I've been seeing the same amount of people, all the time. 

And clearly those are people who need the bus, so why do keep trying to screw them over?? I just know how it is to work odd hours and I think it's really callous to keep calling for certain services to be cut.  Sometimes it isn't always about numbers.  If everything was immediately cut you would discourage ridership. I bet that line gets more riders than the BM5 does during the week...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And clearly those are people who need the bus, so why do keep trying to screw them over?? I just know how it is to work odd hours and I think it's really callous to keep calling for certain services to be cut.

To say callous is an overstatement. Union Tpke would still have a 20 minute combined headway (30 to Queens), which I think is still pretty frequent. The 73 Avenue/188 street riders have the option of the QM4 or the QM5. Fresh Meadows still has the QM4, and with the exception of schedule changes, no service to the northernmost two areas would be cut. 

To say callous is an overstatement. Union Tpke would still have a 20 minute combined headway (30 to Queens), which I think is still pretty frequent. The 73 Avenue/188 street riders have the option of the QM4 or the QM5. Fresh Meadows still has the QM4, and with the exception of schedule changes, no service to the northernmost two areas would be cut. 

Let's not kid each other here... You've been picking at their service for a while now.  Just let the people have their service...

I think extending the QM4 to Fresh Meadows wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The QM4 already has to travel to either Kissena Blvd or Utopia just to turn around. Extending it to that loop in Fresh Meadows will provide a better turn around and it could help the QM4 a bit. I've been noticing that the QM4 is performing bad now that a few years ago. Ridership is dropping and many trips are empty or have no more than 3 people on it during the whole ride. The QM4 is already competing with the Q64 which is very frequent unlike the QM4 so having it serve Fresh Meadows may gain some more riders. I have a feeling that the way the QM4 is doing it may be a rush hour only route running between 5:30-12:30PM to to city and 2:45-8PM back to Queens. I always thought back when the QM1A was around the QM1 ran on the weekends as well I guess it never did since service is pretty much the same and only was renamed.

I think extending the QM4 to Fresh Meadows wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The QM4 already has to travel to either Kissena Blvd or Utopia just to turn around. Extending it to that loop in Fresh Meadows will provide a better turn around and it could help the QM4 a bit. I've been noticing that the QM4 is performing bad now that a few years ago. Ridership is dropping and many trips are empty or have no more than 3 people on it during the whole ride. The QM4 is already competing with the Q64 which is very frequent unlike the QM4 so having it serve Fresh Meadows may gain some more riders. I have a feeling that the way the QM4 is doing it may be a rush hour only route running between 5:30-12:30PM to to city and 2:45-8PM back to Queens. I always thought back when the QM1A was around the QM1 ran on the weekends as well I guess it never did since service is pretty much the same and only was renamed.

While I agree with with that some trips carry not as many people, but I don't see such a drastic cut being done to the QM4 to the extent you're saying. IMO, what you're thinking is way too much of a cut (because from 12 PM to 7 PM, those trips leaving Elechester kinda have mixed loads, and some of them don't do that bad carrying into the city. I don't know about Saturday or Sunday trips, but from what I noticed, there is only one morning and one PM trip getting a "nice" load, the others can vary.

I won't say that the QM4 will retain all of it's current trips looking 5 or 10 years down the line. However, I won't say that it would become a rush hour only route.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Let's not kid each other here... You've been picking at their service for a while now.  Just let the people have their service...

I am letting them have their service, In my opnion though, I think running the buses during the off peak hour could have been done more efficiently than the current setup, to the point where it isn't drastic.

Q63: Limited-stop service between Flushing-Main St, Queens, and Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, Brooklyn via Main St, Jewel Av, 71 Av, Metropolitan Av, Cooper Av, Central Av, Myrtle Av, and Broadway. Bus will operate from 6AM to midnight and run every 10-15 minutes during rush hours and every 30 minutes all other times. Makes only the following stops:

On Main St:

Flushing-Main St 7 subway station

Kissena Blvd

Elder Av

Booth Memorial Av

Horace Harding Expy

Reeves Av

Melbourne Av

Jewel Av

On 71 Av:

Forest Hills-71 Av E, F, M, R subway station

Metropolitan Av

On Metropolitan Av:

Woodhaven Blvd

On Cooper Av:

Atlas Park Mall

80 St

On Myrtle Av:

Fresh Pond Rd

Forest Av

Seneca Av

Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs L, M subway station

Wilson Av

DeKalb Av

Myrtle Av J, M, Z subway station

On Broadway:

Flushing Av

Lorimer St

Union Av

Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

That bus is too damn long, IMO. I don't think the 44 needs another Limited covering the part of the route it serves, and it already has the 20A/20B there. On the Jewel Avenue Portion; way too redundant to the current Q64 as well. The rest of the portion more or less mirrors the Q23, Q54, and Q55/B54, as well as the (J) (m)/ B46, You're better off keeping it the way it is. Also, I don't know if this is ever thought, but because of union disputes if this were to happen, it would (close to) never happen.

It would be good as a more direct route between Ridgewood and Forest Hills, which is very poorly connected.

It probably wouldn't be able to go straight across 71 Ave., because buses are probably banned throught he Forest Hills community (between the LIRR and Kessel St. which is likely why the Q23 takes such a jagged route. Wish they had a van service or somethng that went straight). So it yould probably be better off going down Yellowstone. And since as others mentioned, Main and Jewel don't need more service, it might as well take Yellowstone from LIE to Queens Blvd also. (Yellowstone currently only has the QM12).

Cooper would be good for Atlass Mall, and maybe take the burden off of the Q54 so it can be straightened again. But Central Ave. definitely doesn't need any service. It would be better off as a second route down Myrtle for that stretch.

While I agree with with that some trips carry not as many people, but I don't see such a drastic cut being done to the QM4 to the extent you're saying. IMO, what you're thinking is way too much of a cut (because from 12 PM to 7 PM, those trips leaving Elechester kinda have mixed loads, and some of them don't do that bad carrying into the city. I don't know about Saturday or Sunday trips, but from what I noticed, there is only one morning and one PM trip getting a "nice" load, the others can vary.

I won't say that the QM4 will retain all of it's current trips looking 5 or 10 years down the line. However, I won't say that it would become a rush hour only route.

The QM4 also runs through a few areas that have some political clout, so I don't see any drastic changes being made.  The QM4 would have to be carrying air consistently to be cut.

The QM4 also runs through a few areas that have some political clout, so I don't see any drastic changes being made.  The QM4 would have to be carrying air consistently to be cut.

You just explained the very early AM trips to Queens, late PM trips to Manhattan, and about 25% of the weekend trips in a nutshell.

However, I won't be advocating for the to become a rush hour only route, because many routes going to Queens at the time don't carry great either (except the QM2 and QM6 only).

You just explained the very early AM trips to Queens, late PM trips to Manhattan, and about 25% of the weekend trips in a nutshell.

However, I won't be advocating for the to become a rush hour only route, because many routes going to Queens at the time don't carry great either (except the QM2 and QM6 only).

Quite frankly there are only a handful of express bus routes that will carry well with reverse AM trips and those trips won't be cut because there are some people that do work in those areas and need the express bus.  That's why they're around. If they've got to go back to Queens then they might as well try to pick up a few folks where possible rather than just deadheading empty.  That's the thinking behind it and I agree.

I've also been on empty QM6 AM trips on Saturdays going towards Lake Success. It was me and maybe another passenger and that was it, so it really depends.  The loads can vary.  However the trip was quick.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

How about if I rerouted the bus to Broadway Junction instead of Ridgewood?

Q57: Limited-stop service between Flushing-Main St, Queens, and Broadway Junction, Brooklyn via College Point Blvd, Horace Harding Expy, Yellowstone Blvd, Cooper Av, Cooper St, and Broadway. Bus will operate from 6AM to midnight running every 15 minutes during rush hours and every 30 minutes all other times. Makes only the following stops:

On 41 Rd:

Main St

On Sanford Av:

College Point Blvd (southbound)

On College Point Blvd:

Maple Av (northbound)

58 Av

On 108 St:

Horace Harding Expy

62 Dr (southbound)

63 Rd (northbound)

On Yellowstone Blvd:

Queens Blvd (near Forest Hills-71 Av E, F, M, R subway station)

On Woodhaven Blvd:

Metropolitan Av

On Cooper Av:

Atlas Park Mall

80 St

Myrtle Av

Cypress Hills St

60 Ln

On Cooper St:

Wilson Av

Broadway (near Chauncey St J, Z subway station)

On Van Sinderen Av:

Broadway Junction A, C, J, L, Z subway station

Quite frankly there are only a handful of express bus routes that will carry well with reverse AM trips and those trips won't be cut because there are some people that do work in those areas and need the express bus.  That's why they're around. If they've got to go back to Queens then they might as well try to pick up a few folks where possible rather than just deadheading empty.  That's the thinking behind it and I agree.

I've also been on empty QM6 AM trips on Saturdays going towards Lake Success. It was me and maybe another passenger and that was it, so it really depends.  The loads can vary.  However the trip was quick.

I should've been more specific, but for that case, I was only talking about weekday service. Rather, the QM6 loads don't go down drastically during the day, it's one of those routes that gradually increases and decrease (prior to and after the peak direction periods).

That's also the same thing behind the QM15, and it's looping. The whole trip takes an hour an 51 minutes, starting with the 9 AM bus (ending with the 6 PM bus). Granted, the first few to Queens and last few to Manhattan aren't really filled (I've only seen when it's only had 1 rider per bus), but it's better than to deadhead completely. In the QM15's case, it both picks up and drops off people (the QM1/1A/2/2A/4 used to do this, and I suspect that when they stopped the practice was when they had the oppurtunity to cut all those trips from the lines that they managed to, of course). So it's better to let people get picked up (besides, if the rider or few riders is/are going to 157/Cross Bay or north of the Conduit, the driver won't have to go through the residential part in Lindenwood, like the 21/41 do).

How about if I rerouted the bus to Broadway Junction instead of Ridgewood?

Q57: Limited-stop service between Flushing-Main St, Queens, and Broadway Junction, Brooklyn via College Point Blvd, Horace Harding Expy, Yellowstone Blvd, Cooper Av, Cooper St, and Broadway. Bus will operate from 6AM to midnight running every 15 minutes during rush hours and every 30 minutes all other times. Makes only the following stops:

On 41 Rd:

Main St

On Sanford Av:

College Point Blvd (southbound)

On College Point Blvd:

Maple Av (northbound)

58 Av

On 108 St:

Horace Harding Expy

62 Dr (southbound)

63 Rd (northbound)

On Yellowstone Blvd:

Queens Blvd (near Forest Hills-71 Av E, F, M, R subway station)

On Woodhaven Blvd:

Metropolitan Av

On Cooper Av:

Atlas Park Mall

80 St

Myrtle Av

Cypress Hills St

60 Ln

On Cooper St:

Wilson Av

Broadway (near Chauncey St J, Z subway station)

On Van Sinderen Av:

Broadway Junction A, C, J, L, Z subway station

For the routing north of Metro/ Yellowstone, it still doesn't make a difference, you're gonna have a union debate on this routing, no matter which depot it goes to (if it's from a Queens depot, the portion west of Metro/ Yellowstone will be included into that too. Also, I don't think another route from the area of Ridgewood/ Bushwick is needed to Broadway Junction.

How about a Q77 extension to JFK Airport?

It will be too indirect and the Q77 has it's own purpose and serving JFK airport is not its purpose. It's a heavily used route during the weekdays when school is in session and elderly people use it to go shopping on Hillside and Jamaica 165th.

Not sure that there would be a market for such. However, Springfield Boulevard is being extended to meet 147 Avenue directly (this should be finished next year). Now, just throwing this one out there---what about extending the Q77 to Rosedale and having the Q111 bound up to get to Green Acres? The area is so close to Green Acres, but so hard to reach by mass transit.

Q77 is unofficially a school route, for the most part.... running it to JFK airport would have schoolkids along the way, making their way to other bus routes.... Hell, also, the route lags along the way just as the Q3 does, so the last thing that is needed is two slow ass routes running b/w JFK airport & 165th st. terminal.....

...and what's with the frequency of all these oddball ideas being thrown around? We, not too long ago, banned someone for trolling the forum in such a matter....