Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

F*** it, I have an idea.... And I'm gonna incorporate it into my Queens bus map whenever I get around to it.....

We've had some good discussions involving the Q48 in the past, and this just hit me like a ton of bricks.... For long, I've been saying that the Q48 sees its most consistent usage b/w Flushing & Corona proper...... So instead of having the Q48 carry air past Corona NB, and instead of an older idea I had that entailed taking the 48 out of LGA & running it along 23rd av in E. Elmhurst, to end w/ the Q69 [which wouldn't yield too many more riders anyway].... The fact of the matter is, ppl. coming from airport property (majorically speaking) don't rely on the Q48 to get to the (7) - They rely on the (now) Q70, or the Q72.....

I would simply combine the Corona - Flushing portion of the 48, into the Q19.... Meaning, instead of the 19 continuing along Astoria (where it turns into northern), turn buses down 108th to Roosevelt & have it serve flushing from there.....

So the Q19 would run from the Astoria Houses (which would be an extension on that end) to Flushing (via 108th, via Roosevelt, which would be a diversion)..... You just might have a few more ppl. less willing to cram onto Q66's @ Flushing, have this happen.....

What about to Astoria (N) and make M60 stop even less.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

F*** it, I have an idea.... And I'm gonna incorporate it into my Queens bus map whenever I get around to it.....

We've had some good discussions involving the Q48 in the past, and this just hit me like a ton of bricks.... For long, I've been saying that the Q48 sees its most consistent usage b/w Flushing & Corona proper...... So instead of having the Q48 carry air past Corona NB, and instead of an older idea I had that entailed taking the 48 out of LGA & running it along 23rd av in E. Elmhurst, to end w/ the Q69 [which wouldn't yield too many more riders anyway].... The fact of the matter is, ppl. coming from airport property (majorically speaking) don't rely on the Q48 to get to the (7) - They rely on the (now) Q70, or the Q72.....

I would simply combine the Corona - Flushing portion of the 48, into the Q19.... Meaning, instead of the 19 continuing along Astoria (where it turns into northern), turn buses down 108th to Roosevelt & have it serve flushing from there.....

So the Q19 would run from the Astoria Houses (which would be an extension on that end) to Flushing (via 108th, via Roosevelt, which would be a diversion)..... You just might have a few more ppl. less willing to cram onto Q66's @ Flushing, have this happen.....

Lol great minds think alike I've had this idea for a few years myself. The Q48's I see within LGA are basically empty and it might be better to get rid of the Q48 and have the Q19 take over 108th Ave. I think it benefits Q19 riders because they will have access to Citifield and Flushing Meadow Park. Q48 riders will now have Astoria and the (N) and (Q) trains.

My original idea was different in which the Q19 will replace the Q48 but run via LGA to Flushing via the Q48's routes but then I realized it was too much and I came up with the same idea as your's.

What about to Astoria (N) and make M60 stop even less.

Why are you asking me about the M60 when I'm talking about the Q19......

Anyway, I wouldn't change the Q19 route between 21st & 108th..... The serving of Astoria subway inclusive

(In laymen's, the Q19 would still serve the subway station)

Lol great minds think alike I've had this idea for a few years myself. The Q48's I see within LGA are basically empty and it might be better to get rid of the Q48 and have the Q19 take over 108th Ave. I think it benefits Q19 riders because they will have access to Citifield and Flushing Meadow Park. Q48 riders will now have Astoria and the (N) and (Q) trains.

My original idea was different in which the Q19 will replace the Q48 but run via LGA to Flushing via the Q48's routes but then I realized it was too much and I came up with the same idea as your's.

Forgot to mention that the route would run every 15 mins throughout the day (except for evening hours, where service would drop down to every 20 mins) - which overall, is an improvement, compared to how both routes currently run (current Q48 has irregular headways falling b/w 15-20 mins throughout the weekday [which I think, only adds to the 48's inconsistency] & the Q19 has service running every 20 mins throughout the weekday).... No "hawk" service (like the current 19 & current 48), since the M60 runs to Astoria subway during those times.....

However, with this route alteration, I would expand the span of the Q19 a bit to run b/w 6am (first bus leaving flushing) & 10:10pm (last bus leaving flushing, arriving @ the Astoria PJ's around 11pm).... This would encourage more usage on the Astoria subway during later hours w/ an xfer to the Q19, instead of having to take Q69's or Q100's to Astoria blvd (from the QBP area) & walking (which is what's currently done)..... To me, the current Q19 ends too early, and with it serving Corona & the Astoria PJ's, I think one can justify a slight increase in service.....

Yes, I remember a few people bringing up a combination of the 19/48, with the 19 diverting off Astoria to serve LGA.... That idea I was never fond of, due to what you admit here in this reply (it simply being too much)..... The piece of the puzzle (so to speak) I never really put together, was the fact that there were SO many riders seeking (then) Q33's & Q72's to get to the (7), but Q48 usage to the (7) was rather poor - hell, Q47 usage to the (7) was similar, which is quite sad..... So, continue to let the then Q33 (now Q70) & the 72 transport the many riders that need the 7, with the Q47 carrying the number of stragglers (few riders) out of Marine Air to the 7, and discontinue the Q48 altogether.... Because LGA - Flushing & LGA - Corona usage has been poor for the longest, for reasons that have been stated in the past on here by myself, BobPanda, and a couple others......

What it boils down to is that the Q48 is one of those routes that connecting their endpoints sound good on paper, but realistically, never really flourished/panned out.... The Q19 out of Flushing is more or less used as a shuttle to get to the 49 or the 23 & to Astoria subway.... The Q19 I think most of us on here always had potential, but couldn't figure out how to maximize it's potential... The MTA extending it to Flushing was a start, and seems like the both of us (at least) thinks that having the route serve Corona (via 108th) & west of 21st to the Astoria projects maximizes it even more....

The only negatives are the what, the no more running nonstop b/w flushing & where ditmars blvd meets astoria blvd.... Having to endure the Roosevelt av traffic from flushing on over to 108th..... Ehh..... If it means much more patronage to the route, so be it......

Edited by B35 via Church

Both the Q19 and Q48 get similar usage and combining them will make the route a little more useful. I have never seen a crowded Q19 or Q48 even when Citifield was open and the Q48 was running. No many people put up for those routes because the (7) basically destroys Q48 ridership because of it 3-5 minute headways and people who seek Corona take the Q66. The Q19's problem is that it's not going anywhere people may want (on top of that being kind of indirect) unlike) the Q66 where there are many schools, restaurants, stores and etc. Then there are so many routes that pass the Q19 and connect to different places of interest and the subway much faster. The MTA got the Q19 coming from 2nd St in Astoria now and I don't know how much that is going to do for the people there. The Q102 to the (N) and (Q) was fine enough guessing that it's extension was meant to bring people to the subway.

The Q23 was suppose to go into LGA for many years even had a sign ready for it but I wonder what stopped it from being extended into LGA. It would probably be better than the Q48 but I could see the route being more unreliable and bunching and it already is sort of like that.

Why are you asking me about the M60 when I'm talking about the Q19......

Anyway, I wouldn't change the Q19 route between 21st & 108th..... The serving of Astoria subway inclusive

(In laymen's, the Q19 would still serve the subway station)

Forgot to mention that the route would run every 15 mins throughout the day (except for evening hours, where service would drop down to every 20 mins) - which overall, is an improvement, compared to how both routes currently run (current Q48 has irregular headways falling b/w 15-20 mins throughout the weekday [which I think, only adds to the 48's inconsistency] & the Q19 has service running every 20 mins throughout the weekday).... No "hawk" service (like the current 19 & current 48), since the M60 runs to Astoria subway during those times.....

However, with this route alteration, I would expand the span of the Q19 a bit to run b/w 6am (first bus leaving flushing) & 10:10pm (last bus leaving flushing, arriving @ the Astoria PJ's around 11pm).... This would encourage more usage on the Astoria subway during later hours w/ an xfer to the Q19, instead of having to take Q69's or Q100's to Astoria blvd (from the QBP area) & walking (which is what's currently done)..... To me, the current Q19 ends too early, and with it serving Corona & the Astoria PJ's, I think one can justify a slight increase in service.....

Yes, I remember a few people bringing up a combination of the 19/48, with the 19 diverting off Astoria to serve LGA.... That idea I was never fond of, due to what you admit here in this reply (it simply being too much)..... The piece of the puzzle (so to speak) I never really put together, was the fact that there were SO many riders seeking (then) Q33's & Q72's to get to the (7), but Q48 usage to the (7) was rather poor - hell, Q47 usage to the (7) was similar, which is quite sad..... So, continue to let the then Q33 (now Q70) & the 72 transport the many riders that need the 7, with the Q47 carrying the number of stragglers (few riders) out of Marine Air to the 7, and discontinue the Q48 altogether.... Because LGA - Flushing & LGA - Corona usage has been poor for the longest, for reasons that have been stated in the past on here by myself, BobPanda, and a couple others......

What it boils down to is that the Q48 is one of those routes that connecting their endpoints sound good on paper, but realistically, never really flourished/panned out.... The Q19 out of Flushing is more or less used as a shuttle to get to the 49 or the 23 & to Astoria subway.... The Q19 I think most of us on here always had potential, but couldn't figure out how to maximize it's potential... The MTA extending it to Flushing was a start, and seems like the both of us (at least) thinks that having the route serve Corona (via 108th) & west of 21st to the Astoria projects maximizes it even more....

The only negatives are the what, the no more running nonstop b/w flushing & where ditmars blvd meets astoria blvd.... Having to endure the Roosevelt av traffic from flushing on over to 108th..... Ehh..... If it means much more patronage to the route, so be it......

Those looking for non stop service would switch to the (7) while new riders to Astoria projects would ride the same bus.

The Q23 was suppose to go into LGA for many years even had a sign ready for it but I wonder what stopped it from being extended into LGA. It would probably be better than the Q48 but I could see the route being more unreliable and bunching and it already is sort of like that.

I have seen some signs for it along 108th St

One way to overhaul Astoria's pitiful bus network can be through these:

B35's earlier suggestion to merge Q19 & 48 dropping LGA from the route.

Then a new Q66 LTD that would be limited stops on northern Blvd then replace Q104 on Broadway and Q103 on Vernon Blvd to LIC. This may be too long. This is a 2nd phase idea with phase 1 being Q103 running on Broadway to northern Blvd service north of Broadway going to another route.

Q101 Manhattan routing dropped absorbing Q104 south of Broadway from Steinway subway sta allowing for more frequent service.

Q19 extension to Vernon Blvd @ Broadway via Vernon Blvd. All for now.

....The MTA got the Q19 coming from 2nd St in Astoria now and I don't know how much that is going to do for the people there.....

The old Q102 routing was indirect, and it is (still) currently too infrequent, so riders from the PJ's crammed onto Q18's to get to the subway.... Basically, the 102 is shunned up there, and to my surprise, the Q103 has gained some steam (riders) as of the past couple months from folks in those projects.....

The question(s) I have (not aimed at you, but it's something I'm going to eventually find out for myself) is:

- How many of those riders now opt to take the Q19 to the Astoria subway, instead of cramming onto Q18's to get to 30th av subway....

- I also want to find out if an earlier theory of mine (about a Q19 westward extension to the PJ's) is slowly coming to fruition, regarding Astoria PJ's patrons taking Q19's to Astoria subway for the M60 to Harlem.....

At minimum, The Q19 will take some strain off the Q18 @ the projects.... Too many ppl. sought Q18's with the old setup.....

I'd rather have the 23 serve LGA than the 48...but that's not gonna happen since the advent of the 70.

How about the Q58 actually serve Main St (7)?

That wouldn't have happened with the old Q33 serving LGA either....

Anyway, I think most of us in the bus section ideally want the Q58 to actually/better serve the subway.....

The question always is, where can you even have Q58's terminate in the heart of flushing....

-----

I'm not suggesting this in the slightest, but has anyone on any of the transit forums ever suggested that the Q58 continue up College pt. blvd to Roosevelt?

Those looking for non stop service would switch to the (7) while new riders to Astoria projects would ride the same bus.

I don't think a Q19 diversion to Corona would have riders switching to the (7)..... If that were the case, the current Q48 would be in far worse shape than it is now, since the Flushing-Corona portion of the route (Q48) gets as much consistent usage as it does.......

One way to overhaul Astoria's pitiful bus network can be through these:

B35's earlier suggestion to merge Q19 & 48 dropping LGA from the route.

Then a new Q66 LTD that would be limited stops on northern Blvd then replace Q104 on Broadway and Q103 on Vernon Blvd to LIC. This may be too long. This is a 2nd phase idea with phase 1 being Q103 running on Broadway to northern Blvd service north of Broadway going to another route.

Q101 Manhattan routing dropped absorbing Q104 south of Broadway from Steinway subway sta allowing for more frequent service.

Q19 extension to Vernon Blvd @ Broadway via Vernon Blvd. All for now.

I'm not going to discuss a Q66 LTD because I don't think it would be of much help... That line simply needs more buses on it (preferably running b/w 51st & flushing).... I hate to say this, but I think there is too much Q66 service west of 51st st (meaning, towards QBP).... With that said....

....The Q66 should NOT run on Broadway & Vernon Blvd, to QBP.... I'm not even taking that seriously - limited or not.... The Q104 should remain on Broadway... The Q66 has its own problems maintaining consistent/reliable service, transporting the many ppl along/around Northern blvd to/from Flushing enough as it is.....

I'm not gonna comment on multiple "phases" either, you are simply gonna have to make up your mind on what you think the routes should do, then we can go on from there..... Real bus riders have real commutes & cannot rely on "phases"......

The old Q102 routing was indirect, and it is (still) currently too infrequent, so riders from the PJ's crammed onto Q18's to get to the subway.... Basically, the 102 is shunned up there, and to my surprise, the Q103 has gained some steam (riders) as of the past couple months from folks in those projects.....

The question(s) I have (not aimed at you, but it's something I'm going to eventually find out for myself) is:

- How many of those riders now opt to take the Q19 to the Astoria subway, instead of cramming onto Q18's to get to 30th av subway....

- I also want to find out if an earlier theory of mine (about a Q19 westward extension to the PJ's) is slowly coming to fruition, regarding Astoria PJ's patrons taking Q19's to Astoria subway for the M60 to Harlem.....

At minimum, The Q19 will take some strain off the Q18 @ the projects.... Too many ppl. sought Q18's with the old setup.....

That wouldn't have happened with the old Q33 serving LGA either....

Anyway, I think most of us in the bus section ideally want the Q58 to actually/better serve the subway.....

The question always is, where can you even have Q58's terminate in the heart of flushing....

-----

I'm not suggesting this in the slightest, but has anyone on any of the transit forums ever suggested that the Q58 continue up College pt. blvd to Roosevelt?

I don't think a Q19 diversion to Corona would have riders switching to the (7)..... If that were the case, the current Q48 would be in far worse shape than it is now, since the Flushing-Corona portion of the route (Q48) gets as much consistent usage as it does.......

I'm not going to discuss a Q66 LTD because I don't think it would be of much help... That line simply needs more buses on it (preferably running b/w 51st & flushing).... I hate to say this, but I think there is too much Q66 service west of 51st st (meaning, towards QBP).... With that said....

....The Q66 should NOT run on Broadway & Vernon Blvd, to QBP.... I'm not even taking that seriously - limited or not.... The Q104 should remain on Broadway... The Q66 has its own problems maintaining consistent/reliable service, transporting the many ppl along/around Northern blvd to/from Flushing enough as it is.....

I'm not gonna comment on multiple "phases" either, you are simply gonna have to make up your mind on what you think the routes should do, then we can go on from there..... Real bus riders have real commutes & cannot rely on "phases"......

Ok so that was why the Q103 reroute to northern Blvd subway via Broadway instead of Q66 LTD can suffice.

Staying on the Flushing topic..I have an idea, and it's largely possible because the Q50 is now an ECH route. What about extending the Q50 southward to the Flushing library, making that the last stop)? The Q50 would then relay using Kissena Boulevard, Sanford Avenue (deleting about 4-6 parking spaces with an extended bus stop that would also serve as a layover, and Main Street, with the new flrst stop being at the Q34 loading zone.

Then move the Q19/66 back to its spot along Main Street before it was relocated to Roosevelt Avenue, and relocate the Q58 to the Q19/66's loading zone. (The Q19, Q58, and Q66 would all share one layover zone).

Now, for something separate---floating as a idea: Green Acres is obviously a major shopping area for eastern Queens and western Nassau County. However, from south of Conduit Avenue, it is not easy to reach by bus. I would wonder if a route would be useful that runs from the Far Rockaway Depot, via the neighborhood of the same name, then following the Q113 local route through the Five Towns, and then 147 Avenue, 243 Street, and Sunrise Highway to Green Acres. Currently, to get from this area to Green Acres, one must currently use the NICE n31/2 to the n1, but except for those in Far Rockaway along Beach 19/20 Streets, or near Central Avenue, it's not an option without another fare. The aim is to provide a direct connection from this area to Green Acres. What are your thoughts?

Staying on the Flushing topic..I have an idea, and it's largely possible because the Q50 is now an ECH route. What about extending the Q50 southward to the Flushing library, making that the last stop)? The Q50 would then relay using Kissena Boulevard, Sanford Avenue (deleting about 4-6 parking spaces with an extended bus stop that would also serve as a layover, and Main Street, with the new flrst stop being at the Q34 loading zone.

Then move the Q19/66 back to its spot along Main Street before it was relocated to Roosevelt Avenue, and relocate the Q58 to the Q19/66's loading zone. (The Q19, Q58, and Q66 would all share one layover zone).

Now, for something separate---floating as a idea: Green Acres is obviously a major shopping area for eastern Queens and western Nassau County. However, from south of Conduit Avenue, it is not easy to reach by bus. I would wonder if a route would be useful that runs from the Far Rockaway Depot, via the neighborhood of the same name, then following the Q113 local route through the Five Towns, and then 147 Avenue, 243 Street, and Sunrise Highway to Green Acres. Currently, to get from this area to Green Acres, one must currently use the NICE n31/2 to the n1, but except for those in Far Rockaway along Beach 19/20 Streets, or near Central Avenue, it's not an option without another fare. The aim is to provide a direct connection from this area to Green Acres. What are your thoughts?

I don't know about a FR-GA route. I don't see too many patrons transferring from N31/32's to N1's...on top of that it looks too indirect

I mean, who would benefit from an extended Q50. The way traffic is over there, you can actually walk faster to Kissena/Main from Roosevelt Av

The Q50's extension is really to free up space to get the Q58 to Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue. That additional stop by Kissena and Main could be eliminated, but that would be the layover zone for the Q50 instead of Roosevelt Avenue. I chose the Q50 because the bottom of its route is shared with the Q25 and Q34.

Edited by aemoreira81

Why do you want the Q113 to go to Green Acres when it already serves Five Towns?

This would be a new route. The thinking is that people currently drive to Green Acres from this area who would probably take the bus if it did not mean doubling back through the Jamaica CBD.

Your new route won't be useful because it's easier to simply take the n31/32 from Central Avenue to Hewlett and transfer for the n1 at Broadway to Green Acres. As for the mall itself, it's not big enough to warrant another bus route from the Queens side.

Now, for something separate---floating as a idea: Green Acres is obviously a major shopping area for eastern Queens and western Nassau County. However, from south of Conduit Avenue, it is not easy to reach by bus. I would wonder if a route would be useful that runs from the Far Rockaway Depot, via the neighborhood of the same name, then following the Q113 local route through the Five Towns, and then 147 Avenue, 243 Street, and Sunrise Highway to Green Acres. Currently, to get from this area to Green Acres, one must currently use the NICE n31/2 to the n1, but except for those in Far Rockaway along Beach 19/20 Streets, or near Central Avenue, it's not an option without another fare. The aim is to provide a direct connection from this area to Green Acres.

What are your thoughts?

Given the traffic situation around that junction (Main/Kissena), I'm not taking terminating buses at Flushing Library seriously (I don't care what route it is, even if it isn't all too frequent like a Q50)...... Why don't you have M104's terminating on W. 42nd st at 8th av too while you're at it....

Also, with the curbside along Main st northbound b/w Roosevelt & 39th barricaded off on that entire side of the block, and the Bronx bound Q44/College pt. bound Q20a/b bus stop on the corner of Main/38th, you can't relocate the Q19 & the Q66 back along main street..... So this whole plan of unnecessarily suggesting Q50's terminate @ Flushing Library & having the Q58 terminate where the Q19/Q66 currently make their first pickups now, needs to be rethought.....

As for your Arverne (which is where FRK is) - Green Acres route via Rosedale..... I question the demand of Rockaway patrons wanting Green Acres.... I see what you're getting at w/ the infeasibility of getting b/w the two areas, but the problem is you would parallel too many current routes to go about doing so.....

I mean, who would benefit from an extended Q50. The way traffic is over there, you can actually walk faster to Kissena/Main from Roosevelt Av

I happen to think it's a wash, given the pedestrian traffic over there by those fish markets & other storefronts along Main in the vicinity....

Don't get me started with the area immediately under the LIRR tracks along Main, as far as trying to maneuver around people, goes....

But that's besides the point, with the (main) point obviously being - Extending the route to Flushing Library is just plain crazy....

The Q50's extension is really to free up space to get the Q58 to Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue. That additional stop by Kissena and Main could be eliminated, but that would be the layover zone for the Q50 instead of Roosevelt Avenue. I chose the Q50 because the bottom of its route is shared with the Q25 and Q34.

So the Q50's frequency had nothing to do with it....

Anyway, still though, it shows complete disregard of that immediate area by the library (as far as traffic goes).... Between the Q17, 25/34, ad the 27, there are more than enough BPH (buses per hour) making that turn off main to Kissena....

Why do you want the Q113 to go to Green Acres when it already serves Five Towns?

Nah, he's suggesting that another route parallel the Q113 b/w Far Rockaway & Five Towns....

North of Five Towns, his route would parallel parts of both branches of the Q85 (243rd; rosedale branch), then eastbound along (S. Conduit; green acres branch) to get to Green Acres.... It's a way of serving the rockaways & residential Rosedale with one bus route to get to/from Green Acres (or Five Towns, mid-route).....

Bring back the Q75 so people in Bayside and Oakland Gardens have an option to get to 179th st station instead of go to flushing or taking 2 buses to get to 179th st station. Instead of it ending at 230st, maybe extending it past Horace Harding down E Hampton blvd to Horatio PKWY to Cloverdale BLVD then into Queens Borough Community College.

Extend the Q34 to Francis Lewis Blvd via Willets Point Blvd

The Q12 should run Limited along Northern Blvd

Arctic buses for the following lines Q17, Q25, Q27, Q46, Q52/Q53, Q65, Q111 and Q113

SBS for the Q44 

SBS for the Q52/Q53

Turn Flushing into Buses Only along Roosevelt ave between Prince ST. and Union St. Like Fulton St in downtown Brooklyn. 

Flushing is a disaster and its only getting worse.

Bus only Lanes during rush hour

Union TPK from Springfield blvd to Queens blvd

Hillside Ave from Springfield blvd to 179st or 169st

Northern Blvd from Springfield blvd to Main St. 

Kissena Blvd From Horace Harding to Main St.

Queens BLVD from Union TPK to the LIE whats the point of express buses sitting in traffic? give them their own lane for Petes sake.

Edited by nuyorican

I don't think people along 73 wanted access to Jamaica. That's why me and some other members want the Q64 to take over the Q75's route. The 34 extended to Francis Lewis is debatable since some feel its a dangerous spot to turn around buses. The Q12 limited along Northern, won't beat a dead horse about it. I know BP can handle articulateds but not JA, QV or CP. I think Woodhaven is next in line for SBS with some modifications...