Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the LTD hours for the Q27, 43 and 46 should be modified...

buses on the Q46 after 4:30 are packed and are almost always bunched together. I always see 5 other buses going in the other direction before one comes the way I am going. Limited service is justified.

buses on the Q46 after 4:30 are packed and are almost always bunched together. I always see 5 other buses going in the other direction before one comes the way I am going. Limited service is justified.

I'd say they could start at 3:00, 2:30 the earliest...

Lemme Bring on a new Proposal

College Point Bus Restructuring

Routes Affected:  Q20B, Q25, Q34

Q20B: 

Service would be rerouted north of Northern Blvd along the Q34 path (serving Mitchell Gardens). 

Q25

LIMITED Service would be expanded as an all day service on Weekdays.

Here's the breakdown, however:

LIMITED Service would run from 6 AM- 8 PM from College Point to Jamaica, making local stops north of the Whitestone Expressway. 

Local service would run from from Flushing to Jamaica during those time periods.

The headways for both bus routes are 4 minutes AM rush hours, 5 minutes Midday periods, and 4 minutes during PM rush hours (combined).

This way, there isn't a huge amount of buses going in the reverse peak direction (specifically talking about the section from College Point to Flushing in the AM reverse peak). Sure there is that "office park" there, but the current amount of buses is too much at one time. I'm not saying that the College Point Section doesn't carry, I'm just saying that it doesn't need the current amount of service it has in the revers peak direction. Even though there is 2 buses coming together at 10 minute intervals during the reverse peak (which IMO, I have no comment), the new schedule would have one every 8 minutes (which technically, is a decrease in headway for the routes).

There is an increase in Q25 local service, although limted stop buses would come less frequently south of Flushing. 

There would be a need of 17 LIMITED buses during peak periods, 14 LIMITED BUSES during midday periods, 12 Local buses during peak period, and 10 Local Buses during midday hours.

Q34

Service would be completely discontinued. The Q20B and Q25 would be alternatives.

The QM3 needs more buses

from now on it should run AM 6-9, PM 4-7

Says who? Douglaston folks don't want that extra service anyway....

Combine the Q12 and the Q48

combine the Q32 and Q33

Extend the Q34 to replace the former Q14 route

renumber the QM5/6/7/8 back to the QM1A

renumber the QM20 back to the QM2A

1. No.

2. Won't happen, or anytime soon at least.

3. No, the Q15/15A or whichever one serves almost the same route, just a one block difference

4 & 5: No, only because that's only a personal preference and has nothing to do with actual service..

1. No.

2. Won't happen, or anytime soon at least.

3. No, the Q15/15A or whichever one serves almost the same route, just a one block difference

4 & 5: No, only because that's only a personal preference and has nothing to do with actual service..

I don't see how they wouldn't want more service... They only get three peak buses each way... I would think that the folks that use the bus wouldn't mind it even if they have the LIRR. If that's the case, why even bother having those six peak buses??

I don't see how they wouldn't want more service... They only get three peak buses each way... I would think that the folks that use the bus wouldn't mind it even if they have the LIRR. If that's the case, why even bother having those six peak buses??

AM peak those buses get packed. PM, the last two aren't so packed.

Combine the Q12 and the Q48

combine the Q32 and Q33

Extend the Q34 to replace the former Q14 route

renumber the QM5/6/7/8 back to the QM1A

renumber the QM20 back to the QM2A

You must really be bored. The last 2 are just your personal bias.

Then you have increased service ending somewhere short of Douglaston.... That shouldn't be a problem.

I hate to say this, but it all starts with the LIRR as to why the QM3 gets used the way it does when it runs......

(see below)

AM peak those buses get packed. PM, the last two aren't so packed.
So I've heard.... Odd set up to say the least... I assume they use the bus in the morning to avoid the crowds on the LIRR....
And why is that??
Not even sure. Most people complain about the traffic going to Flushing.

4 replies in one shot.... there's a first...

Irregular service patterns on the PW line in the morning; too many trains starting from, and/or skipping certain/different stops (similar to the Babylon line).... This explains the patronization of the QM3 during the AM rush, and the masses flocking to the LIRR during the PM rush.... The traffic the QM3 faces during the PM rush isn't really the issue.....

It's why I've never really been a fan of skip-stop services like that.... It's one thing to have the RON line go express after farmingdale (with some trains stopping at Mineola, before Jamaica)... It is another thing to have trains starting from great neck doing different things, trains starting from little neck doing different things....

There's too much to explain, so I'ma let this do the talking for me.

y8RmVpO.gif

Now I can understand having the trains only serving Nassau county (PW to Great Neck) going express to Penn.. and I can even understand not having every train run out of PW (to better serve the Queens riders that use the PW line like it's a subway)... But it's what the short turns do, that baffles me.... Look at the service that areas b/w Auburndale & Flushing get (or, don't get) during the rush & Look at the AM QM3....

Direct correlation as to why the QM3 gets increased/great usage (for as few trips as the poor route even has) in the mornings.....

I wanna say it's because the buses in the PM utilize Northern Blvd (which leads to Flushing, so that may be the reason)>

Negative... Read above.

Edited by B35 via Church

Lemme Bring on a new Proposal

College Point Bus Restructuring

Routes Affected:  Q20B, Q25, Q34

Q20B: 

Service would be rerouted north of Northern Blvd along the Q34 path (serving Mitchell Gardens). 

Q25

LIMITED Service would be expanded as an all day service on Weekdays.

Here's the breakdown, however:

LIMITED Service would run from 6 AM- 8 PM from College Point to Jamaica, making local stops north of the Whitestone Expressway. 

Local service would run from from Flushing to Jamaica during those time periods.

The headways for both bus routes are 4 minutes AM rush hours, 5 minutes Midday periods, and 4 minutes during PM rush hours (combined).

This way, there isn't a huge amount of buses going in the reverse peak direction (specifically talking about the section from College Point to Flushing in the AM reverse peak). Sure there is that "office park" there, but the current amount of buses is too much at one time. I'm not saying that the College Point Section doesn't carry, I'm just saying that it doesn't need the current amount of service it has in the revers peak direction. Even though there is 2 buses coming together at 10 minute intervals during the reverse peak (which IMO, I have no comment), the new schedule would have one every 8 minutes (which technically, is a decrease in headway for the routes).

There is an increase in Q25 local service, although limted stop buses would come less frequently south of Flushing. 

There would be a need of 17 LIMITED buses during peak periods, 14 LIMITED BUSES during midday periods, 12 Local buses during peak period, and 10 Local Buses during midday hours.

Q34

Service would be completely discontinued. The Q20B and Q25 would be alternatives.

- The Q25/34 thing I'm simply not gonna speak on, because I think the 34 should remain.....

- I can agree with the Q20b serving mitchell gardens, but I don't agree with having it do the entire 34 north of northern....

I would have the 20b serving mitchell gardens, and then continue to have it serving college point (the neighborhood), except it would be via 20th av instead of 14th.... So the difference in service on the "Q20" would be one directly serving mitchell gardens, and the other serving union... As opposed to the difference being 14th av vs. 20th av like it currently is - Which is why 20b's get the shaft north of flushing (for the most part)..... There would be much less shafting going on if you have 20b's serving mitchell gardens (as you seem to realize)....

Then you have increased service ending somewhere short of Douglaston.... That shouldn't be a problem.

I hate to say this, but it all starts with the LIRR as to why the QM3 gets used the way it does when it runs......

(see below)

4 replies in one shot.... there's a first...

Irregular service patterns on the PW line in the morning; too many trains starting from, and/or skipping certain/different stops (similar to the Babylon line).... This explains the patronization of the QM3 during the AM rush, and the masses flocking to the LIRR during the PM rush.... The traffic the QM3 faces during the PM rush isn't really the issue.....

It's why I've never really been a fan of skip-stop services like that.... It's one thing to have the RON line go express after farmingdale (with some trains stopping at Mineola, before Jamaica)... It is another thing to have trains starting from great neck doing different things, trains starting from little neck doing different things....

There's too much to explain, so I'ma let this do the talking for me.

y8RmVpO.gif

Now I can understand having the trains only serving Nassau county (PW to Great Neck) going express to Penn.. and I can even understand not having every train run out of PW (to better serve the Queens riders that use the PW line like it's a subway)... But it's what the short turns do, that baffles me.... Look at the service that areas b/w Auburndale & Flushing get (or, don't get) during the rush & Look at the AM QM3....

Direct correlation as to why the QM3 gets increased/great usage (for as few trips as the poor route even has) in the mornings.....

Negative... Read above.

I would like to agree with you but quite frankly it doesn't look like service is that terrible for Little Neck and Douglaston in the AM that they would bombard the QM3.  It's still three AM trips and three PM trips.  The trips on the QM3 are 06:40, 07:10 and 07:40, times when there is adequate LIRR service.  Maybe you could make an argument for the 07:40 bus, but aside from that, I would have to think that it's a matter of preference.  Many of us here in Riverdale prefer the express bus over MNRR, but we'll use it if the weather is bad or traffic is bad.  A quick and on-time commute in exchange for a less comfortable ride.  I wonder if that has anything to do with patronage on the QM3 as well...

I would like to agree with you but quite frankly it doesn't look like service is that terrible for Little Neck and Douglaston in the AM that they would bombard the QM3.  It's still three AM trips and three PM trips.  The trips on the QM3 are 06:40, 07:10 and 07:40, times when there is adequate LIRR service.  Maybe you could make an argument for the 07:40 bus, but aside from that, I would have to think that it's a matter of preference.  Many of us here in Riverdale prefer the express bus over MNRR, but we'll use it if the weather is bad or traffic is bad.  A quick and on-time commute in exchange for a less comfortable ride.  I wonder if that has anything to do with patronage on the QM3 as well...

You're missing the point...

I'm talking about the areas around Auburndale (well I suppose you can throw Bayside in the mix too), and points west... Where the QM3 has gotten much more of the increased usage at.... The Little Neck & Douglaston folks haven't contributed all that much to the increase in AM service on the QM3....

There's a reason Cait Sith said Douglaston folks don't want increased service (as far as the QM3 goes)..... Which is why I said there'd be no problem having increased QM3 service start somewhere short of the Douglaston/Little Neck area.....

It's not just simply/solely a matter of preference, because if it was, then you wouldn't have as many people not taking the QM3 in the PM rush, and even more people taking QM3's in the AM.... You don't have to agree, but there is validity to what I'm saying, because I've heard this argument from several people (not so much about the QM3, but the inconsistency in AM peak dir. service along the PW Branch.....

In short, there are many more Queens riders up in that part of Queens that would like to take the LIRR, but feel compelled to taking other methods to get into manhattan (such as the QM3), due to the crummy scheduling at certain stations.... I don't even have to mention the other method of taking the local bus to the (7) & the headache that is....

Edited by B35 via Church

You're missing the point...

I'm talking about the areas around Auburndale (well I suppose you can throw Bayside in the mix too), and points west... Where the QM3 has gotten more of the increased usage at.... The Little Neck & Douglaston folks haven't contributed all that much to the increase in AM service on the QM3....

There's a reason Cait Sith said Douglaston folks don't want increased service (as far as the QM3 goes)..... Which is why I said there'd be no problem having increased QM3 service start somewhere short of the Douglaston/Little Neck area.....

But Auburndale gets the same service as Little Neck and Douglaston... If they were so adamant about the LIRR, it seems as if it would make sense for them to push for more LIRR service rather than flocking to the QM3... I think the issue actually may be overcrowding on the LIRR in the mornings...

Here in Riverdale, there's the MNRR riders that generally don't use the express bus, the express bus riders and the hybrids like myself, which switch between the two.  At night, I find MNRR trains to be better in that I can get a seat compared to the morning rush... I still that could be part of it also.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

But Auburndale gets the same service as Little Neck and Douglaston... If they were so adamant about the LIRR, it seems as if it would make sense for them to push for more LIRR service rather than flocking to the QM3... I think the issue actually may be overcrowding on the LIRR in the mornings...

If they weren't adamant about the LIRR, they wouldn't have to raise the issue of overcrowding.....

Those folks actually got increased LIRR service (the Queens folks, I mean).... Which is why you see those short turns with those differing service patterns.... It is the MTA's way of saying we'll give the region increased service, but we're not gonna have every train running locally b/w great neck or little neck, and penn (I don't doubt that patrons of those immediate areas didn't opt for increased service where trains are skipping stops at)..... Yes an issue is overcrowding (which is why you have the short turns starting from great neck to begin with), but there are also service-based issues....

If they weren't adamant about the LIRR, they wouldn't have to raise the issue of overcrowding.....

Those folks actually got increased LIRR service (the Queens folks, I mean).... Which is why you see those short turns with those differing service patterns.... It is the MTA's way of saying we'll give the region increased service, but we're not gonna have every train running locally b/w great neck or little neck, and penn (I don't doubt that patrons of those immediate areas didn't opt for increased service where trains are skipping stops at)..... Yes an issue is overcrowding (which is why you have the short turns starting from great neck to begin with), but there are also service-based issues....

I don't think the LIRR could increase service even if they wanted to at the moment.  It would be easier to add more QM3 service, which is something that has been pushed for in areas such as Douglaston... There was an article on it not that long ago...

http://bayside.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/northeast-queens-pols-call-for-increased-douglaston-bus-service

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8