Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I would really like to know where you come up with these ideas from? You never respond to any questions we have of your proposals.  You just make up stuff, then dash out.  What's the point if you're not going to explain your proposals?

This guy clearly has no idea what the ridership patterns are or the major stops for that matter.  He must just look at a map and propose sh*t on the fly.  Really irritating to say the least. Every time I see a proposal of his regarding express bus service, I think of that ridiculous proposal of having BxM2's stop in Washington Heights...  <_< Smh...

1- That's a criticism I had of him also.... It actually used to be worse, believe it or not....

Post up some idea, and then don't come back on this entire site/forum for days to even weeks at a time..... And then post some other unrelated idea... Rinse, wash, repeat....

2) I just find it foolish to want to resort to diverting bus service because this new mayor here wants to f*** things up for motorists (which of course is under the guise of pedestrian safety).... I really do think he's trying to finish up what Bloomberg started (as far as transportation is concerned) - Subway, Subway, Subway - Not the one that sells flatizza's either......

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Queens express routes.

Impetus: http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=293018 (Slow zones in Queens, including the reduction in speed on Queens Boulevard and Northern Boulevard (west of the Grand Central) to 25 mph.

Proposal: Shift all eastbound Queens express bus service off of Queens Boulevard and shift it to the Long Island Expressway. I would make the following changes as well (which is a revisiting of an earlier post I made here on a grander scale)

All eastbound Queens express bus service: From the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, right on Van Dam Street, left on Borden Avenue, and onto the LIE. Essentially, the only routes that would be on Queens Boulevard or the slow zone portion of Northern Boulevard for significant distances are the QM11 and QM18.

QM1, QM5 (evenings and weekends only), QM6 (evenings and weekends only), and QM7: Exit the LIE at exit 23, use Main Street to and from the LIE. One stop change is necessitated: westbound, the last pickup would be at 147 Street, near side, instead of Main Street, far side.

QM5 (weekdays only), QM6 (weekdays only), and QM8: Use Exit 25 (for 188 Street). The first dropoff eastbound and the last pickup westbound would be at 64 Avenue and 188 Street.

QM2, QM3, QM20. Use the LIE and Whitestone to and from Flushing or Whitestone. For the QM3, the drop-off only stops at 72 Street and 87 Street will be eliminated.

QM4: Use 108 Street to and from the LIE via Exit 21. This change would result in the elimination of stops at Queens Boulevard in either direction. (The QM11 and QM18 would continue to provide peak-direction service near these stops.)

QM21, X63, X64, and X68: Use the LIE to the Van Wyck, and then the Van Wyck to the relevant exit. This would result in the elimination of stops in Kew Gardens: Kew Gardens stops eliminated. (The QM18 would continue to serve Kew Gardens with additional trips added at 4:05 PM and 7:15 PM outbound, and 6 AM inbound. The 6:35 PM trip outbound would be pushed back to 6:40 PM.)

Also, unrelated to these changes, is a tweaking to the QM15. Queens-bound QM15 service, instead of operating clockwise through Manhattan, would use the same travel path as the BM5, and use the same stops in Manhattan.

Better idea x63& 68 southbound via GSP service road to Kew gardens then original route northbound yellowstone and 108th to LIE keep Kew gardens stops. X64 however via non stop. Qm2&20 via GSP to LIE. No change to other lines due to ridership. Qm5&8 can use LIE service road (remain on it) then enter after 108th or to bypass LIE Mess GSP to LIE or bus operator discretion & judgement.

1- That's a criticism I had of him also.... It actually used to be worse, believe it or not....

Post up some idea, and then don't come back on this entire site/forum for days to even weeks at a time..... And then post some other unrelated idea... Rinse, wash, repeat....

2) I just find it foolish to want to resort to diverting bus service because this new mayor here wants to f*** things up for motorists (which of course is under the guise of pedestrian safety).... I really do think he's trying to finish up what Bloomberg started (as far as transportation is concerned) - Subway, Subway, Subway - Not the one that sells flatizza's either......

In MTA & Bloomberg's defense the subways have the lowest cost per rider out of all MTA services I won't even be shocked if they try to bring back the streetcars  or start replacing bus routes with PRT and phase out buses altogether eventually. In Morgantown,WV the PRT's 50¢ fares make up almost half their costs sometimes with a 60% farebox recovery ratio in a city with not even 100,000 people. Just imagine the farebox recovery in a city with 8 million at $2.50!!!! That's huge profits right there.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

In MTA & Bloomberg's defense the subways have the lowest cost per rider out of all MTA services I won't even be shocked if they try to bring back the streetcars  or start replacing bus routes with PRT and phase out buses altogether eventually. In Morgantown,WV the PRT's 50¢ fares make up almost half their costs sometimes with a 60% farebox recovery ratio in a city with not even 100,000 people. Just imagine the farebox recovery in a city with 8 million at $2.50!!!! That's huge profits right there.

Yeah, of course the NYC subway has the lowest CPR by far, compared to the local bus, express bus, and the railroad..... Wonder why that is; maybe because the subway has been force fed down passengers throats, while bus service slowly but surely gets cut in the process? Not exactly a co-incidence there.... The CPR for the RR will never come close to that of the subway, even though the RR has a much larger reach/catchment area....

As for your last point, looks to me like you're confusing farebox revenue for farebox recovery....

Then again, I don't know where you were trying to go with this entire reply in the first place, so it's whatever..... Lol....

Yeah, of course the NYC subway has the lowest CPR by far, compared to the local bus, express bus, and the railroad..... Wonder why that is; maybe because the subway has been force fed down passengers throats, while bus service slowly but surely gets cut in the process? Not exactly a co-incidence there.... The CPR for the RR will never come close to that of the subway, even though the RR has a much larger reach/catchment area....

As for your last point, looks to me like you're confusing farebox revenue for farebox recovery....

Then again, I don't know where you were trying to go with this entire reply in the first place, so it's whatever..... Lol....

If they were to literally lose their minds I won't put it past em. If some buses get turned into trackless trolley lines I won't even be surprised at this point. Question how reliable is the Q53 on Broadway? many times it crawls and I noticed the (R) running more consistent as of late. To make matters worse Q53 has the same stops as the Broadway local.

If they were to literally lose their minds I won't put it past em. If some buses get turned into trackless trolley lines I won't even be surprised at this point.

Question how reliable is the Q53 on Broadway? many times it crawls and I noticed the (R) running more consistent as of late. To make matters worse Q53 has the same stops as the Broadway local.

The shortened (R) from Whitehall to Forest Hills won't take any riders off the Q53, if that's what you're alluding to....

Yeah, traffic could be better on Broadway, but otherwise, the route is fine up there......

Hmm I heard someone suggest extending Q70 via Broadway to queens center mall. What do you think about that?

Or reorganization of Q53 &70 to let this restructure Q53 to end at Jackson heights via Woodside and Queens Blvd stopping only at 56th ave,Broadway & 69th street @queens Blvd then Woodside LIRR before going to Jackson heights. With Q70 taking over Q53 stops on Broadway slight change in order staying on BQE till 65th place and queens Blvd as the first street stop followed by Woodside LIRR and Jackson heights replacing Q53 on Broadway to queens center mall.

Although at the rate MTA Is going with the bastardization of the Woodhaven locals step further but I will stop here.

Hmm I heard someone suggest extending Q70 via Broadway to queens center mall. What do you think about that?

Or reorganization of Q53 &70 to let this restructure Q53 to end at Jackson heights via Woodside and Queens Blvd stopping only at 56th ave,Broadway & 69th street @queens Blvd then Woodside LIRR before going to Jackson heights. With Q70 taking over Q53 stops on Broadway slight change in order staying on BQE till 65th place and queens Blvd as the first street stop followed by Woodside LIRR and Jackson heights replacing Q53 on Broadway to queens center mall.

Although at the rate MTA Is going with the bastardization of the Woodhaven locals step further but I will stop here.

It wasn't a suggestion, but I'm the one that introduced such a mention in another discussion.... Here are the posts:

- post #1 - "I would not be surprised if they were to send the Q70 LTD down to Hoffman, to replace the Q53 north of QB....."

- post #2

Edited by B35 via Church

I wonder how that would be received. A Queens Center-LaGuardia route?

Isn't that basically the Q72?

I don't think they would replace the Q53 with the Q70, mostly because one of the big selling points of the Q70 is that it goes to Woodside so that tourists don't have to take the *gasp* subway.

What are the odds of the Q52 taking over the Q72 route via the HHE?

Edited by bobtehpanda

I wonder how that would be received. A Queens Center-LaGuardia route?

if it meant not having to wait for Q53's coming up from the rockaways, I think riders that need that part of Elmhurst (around broadway) b/w QB & roosevelt wouldn't mind.... Although the current Q70 does the job, it could be an even bigger sticking/selling point if it ran down to QB.... But it would be contingent on cutting back the Q53.

I don't think they would replace the Q53 with the Q70, mostly because one of the big selling points of the Q70 is that it goes to Woodside so that tourists don't have to take the *gasp* subway.

- No... The Q72 ends about a block away from the Q59; on the other side of the LIE along QB @ Rego Center Malll.... Not all that close to Hoffman dr/QCM area....

- I don't see your point; the tourists take the subway to get to Woodside....

They did it to catch the old Q33 to LGA, and they're doing it now w/ the Q70.... The Q70 running south of the 7 wouldn't affect tourists taking the subway at all.....

- The Q52 taking over the Q72? I would say none.... If you realized how that route absolutely lags along Junction, I doubt that would be a serious question....

Edited by B35 via Church

Now I understand why the Q23 was never extended to LGA airport. That route will bunch up and show up late and that route already has those problems at times.

What I think should happen as far as routes in Queens is that they should be more reliable. Half the routes are always showing up late and bunch up badly. My example is the Q25 on the weekends. The bus runs every 10 minutes (which it should run at every 8 but that's never happening) and it bunches up every week where a bus may not show up for at least 20 to 30 minutes. It's frustrating and many are frustrated with it and I can't understand why it's happening every single week, now traffic can't be that bad all the time.

There is a way to do it without dropping woodside LIRR. By having Q70 get off one exit later on queens Blvd and using Woodside to LIRR and Broadway like B35 suggested take it a step further and Q21/11 can get dropped extending Q70 to union tpk making woodhaven local stops with Q52/53 as LTD or SBS if they insist. Q64 select runs via 71st ave or yellowstone Blvd to woodhaven Blvd then replace Q11 local service south of metropolitan those wanting lindenwood will take Q41s. Those needing Q11 switch to extended Q64s. Q70 handling local stops north of metropolitan avenue via woodhaven Blvd. Let's face it MTA is trying to kill the Q21/11.

if it meant not having to wait for Q53's coming up from the rockaways, I think riders that need that part of Elmhurst (around broadway) b/w QB & roosevelt wouldn't mind.... Although the current Q70 does the job, it could be an even bigger sticking/selling point if it ran down to QB.... But it would be contingent on cutting back the Q53.

- No... The Q72 ends about a block away from the Q59; on the other side of the LIE along QB @ Rego Center Malll.... Not all that close to Hoffman dr/QCM area....

They did it to catch the old Q33 to LGA, and they're doing it now w/ the Q70.... The Q70 running south of the 7 wouldn't affect tourists taking the subway at all.....

- The Q52 taking over the Q72? I would say none.... If you realized how that route absolutely lags along Junction, I doubt that would be a serious question....

I think he is trying to say Broadway traffic would ruin reliability on the Q70.

From what I understood, part of the MTA/DOT push to make the Q70 a thing was to link Woodside directly and quickly to LGA. I haven't actually ridden the route yet, but do people actually do that in significant enough amounts to justify it?

From what I understood, part of the MTA/DOT push to make the Q70 a thing was to link Woodside directly and quickly to LGA. I haven't actually ridden the route yet, but do people actually do that in significant enough amounts to justify it?

Most switch to the subway or Q53 and sometimes other local buses

Q114 New route to Baisley Park I would guess in the Fall..

My friend over there told me they really are gonna SBS the Q113...

Q114 will be a Guy R Brewer Route I just haven't heard where it's southern terminal will be yet

When I hear more on it I'll post more

Q114 will be a Guy R Brewer Route I just haven't heard where it's southern terminal will be yet

All of this by the fall??!?? Your friend must have some real inside knowledge...  <_<

Definitely not by the fall. All SBS projects so far have included extensive meetings with stakeholders (you can argue about how effective these meetings are, but they happen), and as far as I know there hasn't been comprehensive consultation with any of the CBs in that area yet. On top of that, given the timelines of SBS as has been implemented so far, that's highly unlikely, given that Nostrand Avenue took a total of five years from start to finish. De Blasio's Administration may want to push SBS further, but I highly doubt that they've managed to reduce implementation time to something less than a year.

I'm pretty sure if a Q113 SBS was happening we would have heard things about it already. And why a Q114 route the Q113 will be good enough. I think the idea is kind of fake because I'm pretty sure the Q111 would also turn into an SBS route. Edited by NewFlyer 230

I'm pretty sure if a Q113 SBS was happening we would have heard things about it already. And why a Q114 route the Q113 will be good enough. I think the idea is kind of fake because I'm pretty sure the Q111 would also turn into an SBS route.

I don't know why either. It's like renaming the Bx12 local...

I'm pretty sure if a Q113 SBS was happening we would have heard things about it already. And why a Q114 route the Q113 will be good enough. I think the idea is kind of fake because I'm pretty sure the Q111 would also turn into an SBS route.

Who's we ?????

Unless you work for transit LIKE I Do your information is mere speculation

I have friends that work in Baisley Park Depot..

We ALL talk when we link up and what not... And that was an internal discussion in the depot

Q113 will be SBS and they will create a Q114 route

My guess since I don't work in that depot is it will probably happen once they receive there Artics

Simple as that smh

From what I understood, part of the MTA/DOT push to make the Q70 a thing was to link Woodside directly and quickly to LGA.

I haven't actually ridden the route yet, but do people actually do that in significant enough amounts to justify it?

The advent of the Q70 was about making the commute quicker b/w the subway & LGA, not linking Woodside to LGA.... If anything, they made more of a mention as to how quick getting to LGA would be from Midtown Manhattan.... IMO, It was a compromise to combining the Q32 / (old) Q33..... But yeh, It was sent west to Woodside to 1] try to get LIRR commuters to LGA quicker & 2] lack of space to terminate yet another route at 74th..... I'm really starting to wonder just how many people had a gripe about how delayed (which was the major complaint) the Q33 was b/w LGA & the subway, enough to have created this route....

From the few times I rode the Q70, it gets way more riders at 74th, compared to Woodside - 61st.....

Who's we ?????

Unless you work for transit LIKE I Do your information is mere speculation

I have friends that work in Baisley Park Depot..

We ALL talk when we link up and what not... And that was an internal discussion in the depot

Q113 will be SBS and they will create a Q114 route

My guess since I don't work in that depot is it will probably happen once they receive there Artics

Simple as that smh

SBS is not that simple, because it's not an MTA-only project. SBS is a joint project between DOT and MTA, which makes complete sense because DOT is in charge of street space and furniture, not MTA. Q113 may be getting artics, but that has little to no bearing on whether or not it is getting SBS; after all, the Q44 is not an SBS route, but it has artics.