Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Ideally, I'd like local service (a combination of routes or just the Q1) to be boosted to similar levels to the Q43. As of right now, every Q1 is full leaving 179th during the PM peak, but that's only because people bum-rush it on arrival to avoid the Q43's crowds. I don't know enough about AM usage, though.

Anything that'll take pressure off the Q43 is a good thing.

I would choose the Q36 to be boosted (over the Q1), not just for better service along Hillside, but also for the simple fact that the route has another substantial riderbase; and that is of the folks along Jamaica east of Springfield (inclusive)..... THE main reason 43's are jammed AFAIC, is that too many routes coming from the east, end at 165th - Which is also why I'd have it (36) run to LIRR Jamaica as well, instead of 165th)... Anyway, As is, the Q1 is not much more than a Q43 short-turn/supplement (lol) that runs to one terminal for coverage reasons (braddock) or to one terminal for layover reasons (LIRR QV)...... 

Hell, I would boost the Q43 itself before boosting service on the Q1 (this includes more short turns @ 179th during the PM peak, due EB).... I'd go as far as to say that the Q1 should be blown up - with its current service redistributed to w/e other routes along Hillside (which of course, would include the 43)..... In a nutshell, what I'm saying is, there aren't enough "unique" Q1 riders riding along Braddock or Springfield; too many are simply Hillside riders that want the subway or w/e, that happen to take it over the 43 (for w/e the reason; it arrived before the 43, better chance at a seat/less crowding, etc.).....

But yeh, Either of which would be steps to remedying Hillside service.....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would choose the Q36 to be boosted (over the Q1), not just for better service along Hillside, but also for the simple fact that the route has another substantial riderbase; and that is of the folks along Jamaica east of Springfield (inclusive)..... THE main reason 43's are jammed AFAIC, is that too many routes coming from the east, end at 165th - Which is also why I'd have it (36) run to LIRR Jamaica as well, instead of 165th)... Anyway, As is, the Q1 is not much more than a Q43 short-turn/supplement (lol) that runs to one terminal for coverage reasons (braddock) or to one terminal for layover reasons (LIRR QV)...... 

Hell, I would boost the Q43 itself before boosting service on the Q1 (this includes more short turns @ 179th during the PM peak, due EB).... I'd go as far as to say that the Q1 should be blown up - with its current service redistributed to w/e other routes along Hillside (which of course, would include the 43)..... In a nutshell, what I'm saying is, there aren't enough "unique" Q1 riders riding along Braddock or Springfield; too many are simply Hillside riders that want the subway or w/e, that happen to take it over the 43 (for w/e the reason; it arrived before the 43, better chance at a seat/less crowding, etc.).....

But yeh, Either of which would be steps to remedying Hillside service.....

As a 43 regular, I don't think that the Jamaica Station and east-of-Springfield ridership bases really overlap. If anything, a bus going to Jamaica Station is probably more useful for passengers closer to 179th St.

Someone here said that the Q1 uses two bays at 165th, which is ridiculous considering how infrequent the route is. With this information in mind, this proposal:

Q43 LTD is all-day, from 165th to 268th (with short turns at 179th, and an additional LTD stop at the 169th St station)

Q1 turned into the Q43 local from Jamaica Station to Springfield/Hillside, and probably into QV.

Q36 makes an additional limited stop at 169th St.

As a 43 regular, I don't think that the Jamaica Station and east-of-Springfield ridership bases really overlap. If anything, a bus going to Jamaica Station is probably more useful for passengers closer to 179th St.

Someone here said that the Q1 uses two bays at 165th, which is ridiculous considering how infrequent the route is. With this information in mind, this proposal:

Q43 LTD is all-day, from 165th to 268th (with short turns at 179th, and an additional LTD stop at the 169th St station)

Q1 turned into the Q43 local from Jamaica Station to Springfield/Hillside, and probably into QV.

Yes the Q1 has two bays at 165. One for Bellerose, the other for Queens Village. Same for the N6 which has 3, the Q6 has 3 and its fellow JFK brethren have 2

Honestly I believe the Q1 should be eliminated and just have some Q43`s serve Braddock. I would not worry about Springfield as much because the Q27 and Q88 go to Queens Village LIRR and the Q36 passes it. As far as bays in Jamaica 165 I don't think the Q76 and Q77 should share a bay.

How many riders does the Q1 get on Braddock or Springfield?

As for the Q77/Q76, one bay should be enough for their service levels.

Q1s during the PM Peak have very few people after Springfield, and you could probably count them using your hands.

Edited by bobtehpanda

How many riders does the Q1 get on Braddock or Springfield?

As for the Q77/Q76, one bay should be enough for their service levels.

There has been many times when I've seen the Q76 and Q77 at 165st at the same time. The Q1 I think needs to go has the Q43 and Q36 as replacements.How does the Q1 turn around from Braddock Ave? Edited by College Pt Man

Honestly I believe the Q1 should be eliminated and just have some Q43`s serve Braddock. I would not worry about Springfield as much because the Q27 and Q88 go to Queens Village LIRR and the Q36 passes it. As far as bays in Jamaica 165 I don't think the Q76 and Q77 should share a bay.

The 76 and 77 never shared a bay...

The problem with this sort of thinking is that NST is composed of primarily people from Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which both have atrocious levels of transit service (and atrocious attitudes towards transit to match)

I also don't think that many of them are looking for Manhattan, since they prize themselves on having everything on-site and the community there isn't that young.

And you say that's people from Nassau and Suffolk? Sounds more like they're from the Breezy Point area.

What is all this about the Q76/Q77 sharing a lane/bay inside 165th st terminal? They don't.... They're adjacent (next to) each other.....

The Q3 has the northern-most lane, then it's the 77, then the 76...... Then next to the Q76 (due south) are those (unwarranted, IMO) 2 Q1 lanes; Q1 via Braddock, Q1 to LIRR QV, respectively.....

Anyway....

Someone here said that the Q1 uses two bays at 165th, which is ridiculous considering how infrequent the route is.

With this information in mind, this proposal:

1) On the Q43? The riderbases on your route [those boarding east of Springfield riding to the F & anyone riding toward Sutphin (meaning, anyone boarding from 268th on & are riding past the F, due west] definitely overlap... Yes, the majority are folks west of Springfield (not disputing that)... However, the only real question is, to what extent of the east of springfield folks ride past the F.... I can't say/believe it is that little to put it out there that I don't think they really overlap......

Essentially what you're alluding to with that statement is that the Q43 & the Q1 should perhaps swap eastern terminals (to better suit riders needs).... 

2) As for the other part of the post, yeh, there are 2 separate lanes for the Q1 inside 165.... 1 for each branch; funny to see ppl. walking back & forth wondering which Q1 is going where - b/c you get b/o's that just pull up & pull out of either of the lanes... The MTABus part of the terminal is even worse with that - you have buses pulling into any ole lane & leaving as any ole bus sometimes (example: an incoming Q6 pulling into one of the Q8 bays [as if the 3 lanes that's designated for the Q6 aren't enough] to terminate, & then leaving 165th as a Q9... something like that)....

There has been many times when I've seen the Q76 and Q77 at 165st at the same time. The Q1 I think needs to go has the Q43 and Q36 as replacements.How does the Q1 turn around from Braddock Ave?

So you should know for certain those 2 routes don't share the same lane inside 165th......

Anyway, for the Braddock buses back towards 165th, there's a u-turn lane just north of Jamaica av that it uses.....

What is all this about the Q76/Q77 sharing a lane/bay inside 165th st terminal? They don't.... They're adjacent (next to) each other.....

The Q3 has the northern-most lane, then it's the 77, then the 76...... Then next to the Q76 (due south) are those (unwarranted, IMO) 2 Q1 lanes; Q1 via Braddock, Q1 to LIRR QV, respectively.....

Anyway....

1) On the Q43? The riderbases on your route [those boarding east of Springfield riding to the F & anyone riding toward Sutphin (meaning, anyone boarding from 268th on & are riding past the F, due west] definitely overlap... Yes, the majority are folks west of Springfield (not disputing that)... However, the only real question is, to what extent of the east of springfield folks ride past the F.... I can't say/believe it is that little to put it out there that I don't think they really overlap......

Essentially what you're alluding to with that statement is that the Q43 & the Q1 should perhaps swap eastern terminals (to better suit riders needs).... 

2) As for the other part of the post, yeh, there are 2 separate lanes for the Q1 inside 165.... 1 for each branch; funny to see ppl. walking back & forth wondering which Q1 is going where - b/c you get b/o's that just pull up & pull out of either of the lanes... The MTABus part of the terminal is even worse with that - you have buses pulling into any ole lane & leaving as any ole bus sometimes (example: an incoming Q6 pulling into one of the Q8 bays [as if the 3 lanes that's designated for the Q6 aren't enough] to terminate, & then leaving 165th as a Q9... something like that)....

So you should know for certain those 2 routes don't share the same lane inside 165th......

Anyway, for the Braddock buses back towards 165th, there's a u-turn lane just north of Jamaica av that it uses.....

Ok. Here's the lane assignments at 165, prior to 2010:

Q3

Q75

Q76

Q1 Bellerose

Q1 Queens Village

Q36

Q2

Q77

N6 3 lanes

N22/22A 2 lanes

N24

N1/2/3/26

2010-12

Q3

Q77

Q76

Q1 Bellerose

Q1 Queens Village

Q36

Q2

empty lane

N6 3 lanes

N22/22A 2 lanes

N24

N1/2/3/26

2012-present
Q1 Bellerose
Q1 Queens Village
Q36
Q76
Q36
Q3
Q77
Q2

The Q76 and 77 share a stop at 169 St (F). At 179, the Q77 stops with the Q17, (at Hillside and 178) the stop formerly occupied by the defunct Q75. The Q76 stops with the Q3 at the corner of 179 and Hillside.

A little off topic but here's Jamaica Ctr

until 1996
Q85
N4
Q5
Q4
Q42
Q84
Q83
Q6/8/9/41 to Jamaica

1996-1999
Q5
N4
Q85
Q4
Q42
Q84
Q83
Q6/8/9/41

1999-2001
N4
Q5
Q5 LTD
Q85
Q4
Q42
Q84
Q83
Q6/8/9/41

2001-2004
N4
Q5
Q5 LTD
Q85
Q85 LTD
Q4
Q4 LTD
Q83 LCL/LTD
Q6/8/9/41

The Q42 and 84 received passengers at Archer and 153

Present day
Q5 Green Acres/233
Q5 LTD
Q85 Green Acres/Rochdale 
Q85 LTD
Q4
Q4 LTD
Q83 LCL/LTD
Q25/34/65

across 158 St...
Q84
Q42
N4

Q32: Extend via Northern Blvd to 94th St.

Q72: Runs every 20 minutes during weekend.

Q101: Extend to 3rd Av/60th St.

Manhattan-bound: Via Queensboro Bridge, exit to 60th St ramp, stop at 2nd Av, then 3rd Av, then terminate.

Queens-bound: Begin at BxM1 bus stop at 3rd Av/60th-61st St, turn right at 62nd St, turn right at 2nd Av, regular route.

Q103: Extend to Long Island City Pier via Borden Av and 2nd St. Borden Av/2nd St and East River Ferry Parking Lot.

Q32: Extend via Northern Blvd to 94th St.

Q72: Runs every 20 minutes during weekend.

Q101: Extend to 3rd Av/60th St.

Manhattan-bound: Via Queensboro Bridge, exit to 60th St ramp, stop at 2nd Av, then 3rd Av, then terminate.

Queens-bound: Begin at BxM1 bus stop at 3rd Av/60th-61st St, turn right at 62nd St, turn right at 2nd Av, regular route.

Q103: Extend to Long Island City Pier via Borden Av and 2nd St. Borden Av/2nd St and East River Ferry Parking Lot.

The first two won't happen, I honestly think the Q72 is fine with its 30 minute headways.

The Q32 is also long, so I don't think it should be extended.

The Q101, I have to ask, what is the exact purpose? Not many people take the 101 into and out of Manhattan. The Q32 already runs to 3 Avenue. I don't think it makes a stop on 3 Avenue, but if it doesn't, then add the stop and that's it.

The Q103 one isn't pretty bad. It has to connect to the ferry, and also during middays also, if extended to the ferry, and if it connects to the ferry, you can bring some more ridership. It may, but during the rush hour, it will.

The first two won't happen, I honestly think the Q72 is fine with its 30 minute headways.

The Q32 is also long, so I don't think it should be extended.

The Q101, I have to ask, what is the exact purpose? Not many people take the 101 into and out of Manhattan. The Q32 already runs to 3 Avenue. I don't think it makes a stop on 3 Avenue, but if it doesn't, then add the stop and that's it.

The Q103 one isn't pretty bad. It has to connect to the ferry, and also during middays also, if extended to the ferry, and if it connects to the ferry, you can bring some more ridership. It may, but during the rush hour, it will.

Actually Q72 already has 20 minute headways on weekends. Plus people are fed up with it's unreliablity that is on par with some Manhattan buses which is just plain sad.