Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I agree with Q23, even so I never taken Q38, but I have taken QM24 branch of 3rd Av several times, with my friend from LGA Depot, and  Eliot Av portion were slow ride. I recall getting from Woodhaven Blvd to next major street sometimes took 30-45 minutes.

Please do not touch Q72 bus. Q72 bus is perfect as it is now.

Perfectly UNRELIABLE & INFREQUENT.don't take posts so serious  Q72 sucks balls I walked from rego park to junction Blvd (7) saw no bus at all along the way that bus is on some M crap no I know Manhattan buses that are more reliable.

I've been thinking about changing the Q6 a bit. How about it doesn't go to the post office 24/7?

Reshaping of Q3 to end at federal circle Airtrain southbound routing won't change till cargo plaza rerouted to end at Airtrain. but start at lefferts then via Nassau expressway to farmers Blvd northbound abandon n boundary. Q6 via Q3's route to T5(select trips when post office is closed.

Upgrade Q3 service cause it's Shit.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will attract more riders if it served the terminals I never understood why it never served JFK passenger terminals. The Q7 idk what to do about that. I would say extend it to Broadway Junction but it will only carry mostly air since the (A) and (C) are nearby. I wanted the Q7 to serve the passenger terminals as well.

I've always said the 6 should go to the terminals via 150th St... And have the Q7 go to the Post Office via Rockaway Blvd

Not every Q6 would go to the terminals.. I would say the Limiteds and during off peak hour every other bus would go to the Terminals

Doing this would increase service on the Q7.. It would have to be a 24/7 route

The 6 going to the terminals would not so much help the 3 but it would offer those another option besides coming up

Farmers Blvd to get to Terminal 5

Perfectly UNRELIABLE & INFREQUENT.don't take posts so serious  Q72 sucks balls I walked from rego park to junction Blvd (7) saw no bus at all along the way that bus is on some M crap no I know Manhattan buses that are more reliable.

Lmao @ the way the point was made.... But yeah, Q72 does lag from end-to-end... I have to agree with you about its reliability also... I remember when 72's used to run up on Junction/arrive like wildfire.... Don't know what has happened since then (the takeover)....

Can't say what happened to you though, for you to not having seen a bus from QB to Roosevelt av..... Sounds like a bit of an embellishment, but whatever......

Lmao @ the way the point was made.... But yeah, Q72 does lag from end-to-end... I have to agree with you about its reliability also... I remember when 72's used to run up on Junction/arrive like wildfire.... Don't know what has happened since then (the takeover)....

Can't say what happened to you though, for you to not having seen a bus from QB to Roosevelt av..... Sounds like a bit of an embellishment, but whatever......

sad part is I am being serious I WISH IT WAS AN EMBELLISHMENT!!! I outwalked the next bus yes zero buses northbound I saw several southbound ones though.

sad part is I am being serious I WISH IT WAS AN EMBELLISHMENT!!! I outwalked the next bus yes zero buses northbound I saw several southbound ones though.

LGA is short on buses and come on so you really expect an airport route to run on time. The Q3, B15, Q33(pre Sept 2013), Q48 and M60 all suffer from being late because of airport traffic. The Q23 has signs to go to LGA but it was never extended because 1. The (MTA) knew the Q23 will have problems and #2 it will kill the Q48 ridership.

smh @ the situation...

around what time of day was this? and was this during the weekend or what?

Weekend it was.

LGA is short on buses and come on so you really expect an airport route to run on time. The Q3, B15, Q33(pre Sept 2013), Q48 and M60 all suffer from being late because of airport traffic. The Q23 has signs to go to LGA but it was never extended because 1. The (MTA) knew the Q23 will have problems and #2 it will kill the Q48 ridership.

Q3 there is no excuse it doesn't go on the belt parkway not that it should.

• 2 weeks later...

Well these are just some schedule changes I thought of recently for the QM's 

QM1: The last Midtown bound bus would leave at 1:40 PM instead of 4:40 PM from 188/64

The first Queens bound bus would leave 6/36 at 11:30 AM instead of 9:30 AM

QM4: Weekdays

The Last Midtown bound bus would leave LIE/164 at 6:00 PM instead of 11:00 PM (I still think that if service to Manhattan stops at 6 PM it's more than enough. The first bus to Queens would leave 6/36 at 11:50 AM

Saturdays

The last Midtown bus would leave Electchester at 6:10 PM instead of 11:10 PM. The last Electchester bound bus would leave 6/36 at 6:40 PM

Sundays

The first Midtown bus would leave Queens at 9:10 AM, and the last one leave at 5:10 PM, The last Queens-bound bus would leave 6/36 at at 5:40 PM

QM5 

Weekdays:

The first QM5 via Fresh Meadows to Midtown Manhattan will leave Glen Oaks at 2:40 PM instead of 5:40 PM.

The first QM5 to Glen Oaks via Fresh Meadows during midday hours will leave 6/36 at 9:45 AM, and the last one at 10:45 AM.

Every bus going to Queens up to 4:00 PM that leaves 6/36 at :15 would be cut. The ones leaving at :45 would be unaffected.

QM6

Weekdays:

Buses to Queens will now leave Queens at :15 past the hour instead of at :05 during the reverse peak and Midday hours. The 8:05 AM bus would leave at 8:15 AM, and every other bus after it would follow the same order until the 4:05 PM bus (the 4:05 PM bus would also leave at 4:15 PM instead).

QM10

The last Manhattan bound bus (6 Avenue) from 63 Rd/98 Place would leave at 9:00 AM.

The last Midtown Bound Bus (3 Avenue) to 63 Rd/98 Place would leave 3/38 at 6:30 PM.

QM18

The last Midtown bound bus would leave Queens at 7:58 AM 

The last Queens bound bus would leave 3/34 at 6:05 PM

Well these are just some schedule changes I thought of recently for the QM's 

QM1: The last Midtown bound bus would leave at 1:40 PM instead of 4:40 PM from 188/64

The first Queens bound bus would leave 6/36 at 11:30 AM instead of 9:30 AM

QM4: Weekdays

The Last Midtown bound bus would leave LIE/164 at 6:00 PM instead of 11:00 PM (I still think that if service to Manhattan stops at 6 PM it's more than enough. The first bus to Queens would leave 6/36 at 11:50 AM

Saturdays

The last Midtown bus would leave Electchester at 6:10 PM instead of 11:10 PM. The last Electchester bound bus would leave 6/36 at 6:40 PM

Sundays

The first Midtown bus would leave Queens at 9:10 AM, and the last one leave at 5:10 PM, The last Queens-bound bus would leave 6/36 at at 5:40 PM

QM5 

Weekdays:

The first QM5 via Fresh Meadows to Midtown Manhattan will leave Glen Oaks at 2:40 PM instead of 5:40 PM.

The first QM5 to Glen Oaks via Fresh Meadows during midday hours will leave 6/36 at 9:45 AM, and the last one at 10:45 AM.

Every bus going to Queens up to 4:00 PM that leaves 6/36 at :15 would be cut. The ones leaving at :45 would be unaffected.

QM6

Weekdays:

Buses to Queens will now leave Queens at :15 past the hour instead of at :05 during the reverse peak and Midday hours. The 8:05 AM bus would leave at 8:15 AM, and every other bus after it would follow the same order until the 4:05 PM bus (the 4:05 PM bus would also leave at 4:15 PM instead).

QM10

The last Manhattan bound bus (6 Avenue) from 63 Rd/98 Place would leave at 9:00 AM.

The last Midtown Bound Bus (3 Avenue) to 63 Rd/98 Place would leave 3/38 at 6:30 PM.

QM18

The last Midtown bound bus would leave Queens at 7:58 AM 

The last Queens bound bus would leave 3/34 at 6:05 PM

lol... You just won't give up on that QM1 cut... Listen, not everybody works 9 - 17:00.  During the week people have doctor's appointments and some people work at odd hours.  You're basically telling those people that their commutes don't matter. You're saying the same thing to QM4 riders as well... 

The city pays for the express bus service to provide communities that lack subway service adequate transportation options.  Yes, the ridership may not be booming, but for the people who use the service, their commutes would be much longer without it.  Cutting service just discourages people from using public transportation and puts more cars on the road.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... You just won't give up on that QM1 cut... Listen, not everybody works 9 - 17:00. During the week people have doctor's appointments and some people work at odd hours. You're basically telling those people that their commutes don't matter. You're saying the same thing to QM4 riders as well...

The city pays for the express bus service to provide communities that lack subway service adequate transportation options. Yes, the ridership may not be booming, but for the people who use the service, their commutes would be much longer without it. Cutting service just discourages people from using public transportation and puts more cars on the road.

The QM1 route pattern won't see any cut. The QM5 will just start earlier to Manhattan, and the QM1 will end earlier. Overall, no service is lost in Fresh Meadows.

I have yet to see anyone take the QM4 into Manhattan at 7 PM, I always see the QM5 with like 10-12 riders to Manhattan, and the QM4 with 1 if lucky. Same thing going back, the QM5 has more than the QM4 at 9:00 AM. When 71 Avenue becomes ADA accessible, Id say it even proves my point more. The Q64 and the subway would in some cases get to the city faster than the QM4.

As for the QM5 cut, residents on Union Tpke between 188 and Main Street, and residents in Glen Oaks will lose service overall, but will still have a combined 30 minute headway, which Id say is fair enough.

Im really not cutting that much service, your reacting like Im cutting everything to the bones.

The QM1 route pattern won't see any cut. The QM5 will just start earlier to Manhattan, and the QM1 will end earlier. Overall, no service is lost in Fresh Meadows.

I have yet to see anyone take the QM4 into Manhattan at 7 PM, I always see the QM5 with like 10-12 riders to Manhattan, and the QM4 with 1 if lucky. Same thing going back, the QM5 has more than the QM4 at 9:00 AM. When 71 Avenue becomes ADA accessible, Id say it even proves my point more. The Q64 and the subway would in some cases get to the city faster than the QM4.

As for the QM5 cut, residents on Union Tpke between 188 and Main Street, and residents in Glen Oaks will lose service overall, but will still have a combined 30 minute headway, which Id say is fair enough.

Im really not cutting that much service, your reacting like Im cutting everything to the bones.

Well my point is it's easy for you to say cut this and cut that.  I've seen people using the last QM4's of the night.  It doesn't have a ton of riders, but they still need their service and if those buses are going to Manhattan, I see no point in them deadheading to the city when they can pick up passengers.  It's the same old argument.  There are times when we can cut service because not a lot of people will ride it but when you cut service, you discourage people from using it and those who do need it often go to work, doctor's appointments and the like. This is NYC... People always have things to do.  This is true not just with bus service but with train service too.  Our streets are congested enough with traffic and I generally advocate for keeping service rather than cutting it, be it local bus, express bus, subway or LIRR or MNRR.  Hell there are few local buses that could have service cuts too, such as weekend service on the M50.  The bus is rarely crowded, but I wouldn't take the axe to it.  The people who do use it need it and that's why the (MTA) restored it. 

The QM4 serves areas where there are some elderly folks too and you'd be surprised at how late some old folks stay out.  We get quite a few old folks on the late Riverdale express buses and they are not exactly able to handle the subways if they even live near any.

Well my point is it's easy for you to say cut this and cut that.  I've seen people using the last QM4's of the night.  It doesn't have a ton of riders, but they still need their service and if those buses are going to Manhattan, I see no point in them deadheading to the city when they can pick up passengers.  It's the same old argument.  There are times when we can cut service because not a lot of people will ride it but when you cut service, you discourage people from using it and those who do need it often go to work, doctor's appointments and the like. This is NYC... People always have things to do.  This is true not just with bus service but with train service too.  Our streets are congested enough with traffic and I generally advocate for keeping service rather than cutting it, be it local bus, express bus, subway or LIRR or MNRR.  Hell there are few local buses that could have service cuts too, such as weekend service on the M50.  The bus is rarely crowded, but I wouldn't take the axe to it.  The people who do use it need it and that's why the (MTA) restored it. 

The QM4 serves areas where there are some elderly folks too and you'd be surprised at how late some old folks stay out.  We get quite a few old folks on the late Riverdale express buses and they are not exactly able to handle the subways if they even live near any.

The QM4 has the least ridership of all the full time expresses. I understand having it during rush hour, but service is ran way to over excessive. I mean, the Q64 wouldn't be a such a bad alternative. For the most part, trips would be take at most 10 minutes extra. There's a reason why 71st is just becoming ADA Acessible. I'm being honest with you, when this whole merger (BC and NYCT) finishes, those QM4 trips during the evening will be gone, just like a bunch of other expresses. 

I still think QM4's are overran (it was worse when the QM4 ran every 30 minutes to Queens during midday hours).

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

The QM4 has the least ridership of all the full time expresses. I understand having it during rush hour, but service is ran way to over excessive. I mean, the Q64 wouldn't be a such a bad alternative. For the most part, trips would be take at most 10 minutes extra. There's a reason why 71st is just becoming ADA Acessible. I'm being honest with you, when this whole merger (BC and NYCT) finishes, those QM4 trips during the evening will be gone, just like a bunch of other expresses. 

That may be the case but it depends on how the city handles the funding situation.  As it is right now, the city asked the (MTA) to take over those private routes and run them to provide coverage to areas without subway access or that had poor subway service.  The way I see it, the QM4 is a good route to have around.  I had to go to Queens Blvd on several occasions and didn't know about the QM4.  I had been schlepping over further to the QM1A at the time.

That may be the case but it depends on how the city handles the funding situation.  As it is right now, the city asked the (MTA) to take over those private routes and run them to provide coverage to areas without subway access or that had poor subway service.  The way I see it, the QM4 is a good route to have around.  I had to go to Queens Blvd on several occasions and didn't know about the QM4.  I had been schlepping over further to the QM1A at the time.

NYCT route aren't subdized by the city, therefore if the cost is way too high, they will cut it. 

Since running a bus like $172.23 (forgot where I heard this), but lets say 55 minutes (equivalent to $157.88) with like 4 passengers, lets say, the cost comes out at $39.47 per rider, they definitely would think about cut that.

NYCT route aren't subdized by the city, therefore if the cost is way too high, they will cut it. 

Since running a bus like $172.23 (forgot where I heard this), but lets say 55 minutes (equivalent to $157.88) with like 4 passengers, lets say, the cost comes out at $39.47 per rider, they definitely would think about cut that.

Correct but that's my point.  I don't see that subsidy just going away with the merger and all of the communities that lack subway service would raise hell. 

Correct but that's my point.  I don't see that subsidy just going away with the merger and all of the communities that lack subway service would raise hell. 

It will go away, since MTA Bus were part of companies that had people who owned them, but they were run and given the grants to run by the city. When they combine, it's only state funds (no city funds at that point). All those QM's, BM's, and BxM's will be more prone to be cut in some form, because the state funds terribly, so the MTA will just cut everything that it can possibly cut without too much ruckus. They wont cut it at once, but in the end it's less service than before. Why do you think NYC Transit X- routes were targeted for elimination first, and MTA Bus wasn't affected as much? Why do you think there's only four X- Routes in the entire system, that run daily out of all? Why do you think there's so much service provided in the outer boroughs? Why do you think the private companies ran into bankruptcy?

The thing though, after the merger, Elechester won't lack subway service, as the subway is now accessible for disable folks.

It will go away, since MTA Bus were part of companies that had people who owned them, but they were run and given the grants to run by the city. When they combine, it's only state funds (no city funds at that point). All those QM's, BM's, and BxM's will be more prone to be cut in some form, because the state funds terribly, so the MTA will just cut everything that it can possibly cut without too much ruckus. They wont cut it at once, but in the end it's less service than before. Why do you think NYC Transit X- routes were targeted for elimination first, and MTA Bus wasn't affected as much? Why do you think there's only four X- Routes in the entire system, that run daily out of all? Why do you think there's so much service provided in the outer boroughs? Why do you think the private companies ran into bankruptcy?

The thing though, after the merger, Elechester won't lack subway service, as the subway is now accessible for disable folks.

I know all of that but my point is regardless of the merger, the areas that lack subway service will generally remain the same and will argue that they need that service.  You can just provide bus service like that for all of these neighborhoods and then yank it.  There's also the issue of the unions... I don't see the merger happening as quickly or as easily as some seem to be implying.

I know all of that but my point is regardless of the merger, the areas that lack subway service will generally remain the same and will argue that they need that service.  You can just provide bus service like that for all of these neighborhoods and then yank it.  

Well look at the BM1/2/3/5, the QM21, QM18, QM10, QM12, and the QM24. They cut service on those routes at one point or another (the QM24 was a cut back of span in the AM), most of the severely, just because they had other options. They didn't have adequate bus service, but they said everyone can take the multiple buses that take them to the subway. The latter two I though was not suitable at all (I still don't think QM12 midday service should've been cut, since 71st isn't ADA Acessible). The BM5 has the QM15, but only in Queens, and taking the B83 to the (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z)(2)(3)(4)(5) is crap. The QM4 has a local counterpart in Queens for almost the entire route, and connects to the subway, which also takes riders to Midtown. It's directly open. 

Well look at the BM1/2/3/5, the QM21, QM18, QM10, QM12, and the QM24. They cut service on those routes at one point or another (the QM24 was a cut back of span in the AM), most of the severely, just because they had other options. They didn't have adequate bus service, but they said everyone can take the multiple buses that take them to the subway. The latter two I though was not suitable at all (I still don't think QM12 midday service should've been cut, since 71st isn't ADA Acessible). The BM5 has the QM15, but only in Queens, and taking the B83 to the (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z)(2)(3)(4)(5) is crap. The QM4 has a local counterpart in Queens for almost the entire route, and connects to the subway, which also takes riders to Midtown. It's directly open. 

It's not just about the people that live along the QM4 route.  A lot of people drive to some express buses and the QM4 allows folks in the Eastern Queens an alternative that may not be as close to the QM5 or QM6.  I can tell you that when I lived on Staten Island, I used various express buses and many of them were not near me.  I simply used car service to the X10, X17, X1, X2, X9 and so on.

It's not just about the people that live along the QM4 route.  A lot of people drive to some express buses and the QM4 allows folks in the Eastern Queens an alternative that may not be as close to the QM5 or QM6.  I can tell you that when I lived on Staten Island, I used various express buses and many of them were not near me.  I simply used car service to the X10, X17, X1, X2, X9 and so on.

This fuels into my idea that there should be a park-n-ride for the express buses in places where it's possible. Perhaps a park-n-ride could be built in Nassau County along the QM6 Route, to try to garner more riders.

This fuels into my idea that there should be a park-n-ride for the express buses in places where it's possible. Perhaps a park-n-ride could be built in Nassau County along the QM6 Route, to try to garner more riders.

The QM6 is mainly for North Shore Towers folks... You have to also think about the areas that some express buses serve.  The nearby Fresh Meadows is fairly affluent so that's another reason the QM4 should stay.  It ends in Electchester, but the other areas it also serves Kew Gardens Hills, a nice middle class to upper middle class neighborhood.

The QM6 is mainly for North Shore Towers folks... You have to also think about the areas that some express buses serve.  The nearby Fresh Meadows is fairly affluent so that's another reason the QM4 should stay.  It ends in Electchester, but the other areas it also serves Kew Gardens Hills, a nice middle class to upper middle class neighborhood.

Well yeah, but it doesn't hurt to possibly add more riders. You could fill up those buses during off peak hours a lot more, doesn't hurt to try. I mean, yeah, you'll have residents from LI taking the bus, but more revenue comes for the MTA. North Shore Tower residents wouldn't have to worry for the most part, since NST would still be the first and last stop on the QM6.

While I know that this is prevalent behavior in Staten Island, I wouldn't go so far as to say Queens express riders do this on a regular basis in significant numbers...

Q23.... Generally speaking, I have to agree w/ VG8 here.....

Alright bro, Seriously, what is your end game with these seemingly never-ending QM1 (& variants) changes?

You've been suggesting tweaks to the union tpke variants for a while now, and I sincerely hope it's not for the reason for adding service to the QM10/11/12.... If that's the case, the robbing peter to pay paul mentality won't fly, because the fact of the matter is, the union tpke expresses are more utilized than the Rego Park/LeFrak/Forest Hills expresses.......

While I know that this is prevalent behavior in Staten Island, I wouldn't go so far as to say Queens express riders do this on a regular basis in significant numbers...

Neither would I.....

Hell, I wouldn't have even brought that subject up, in going against the changes Q23 suggested......

This fuels into my idea that there should be a park-n-ride for the express buses in places where it's possible.

Perhaps a park-n-ride could be built in Nassau County along the QM6 Route, to try to garner more riders.

See here....

You do get some Nassau patrons that drive over to LNP/HHE to catch an express, but that aint no where near significant levels either....

I'm tellin you now.... NHP patrons would rather drive to LIRR Great Neck for the RR than drive to some park & ride along the QM6 for an express bus.... I suppose they could use LIJ parking lot as a park & ride for the QM6, but that's not even done..... It's great that you're thinking progressively, but we have to realize what we're dealing with here also.... If Queens patrons seldom drive to an express bus, I highly doubt Nassau patrons would....