Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

On the Q27/Q77 part---if you extend the Q27 to 145 Road, unless the Q77 is then extended to Green Acres Mall, it becomes useless. However, I would ask, but not as a proposal per se...how would extending the Q77 to Green Acres work for the route? The Q27's Cambria Heights terminal would remain where it is, but the Q83 would have service extended down Springfield Boulevard to the schools at the southern end, providing a connection into Jamaica more centrally. (The branch to 227 Street would remain.)

The Q77 would remain on Franny Lew to Conduit Avenue and then head to Green Acres. There would be new stops all along the route (as there is no bus route along much of the extension).

How many routes does Green Acres need? As for the 83, I would put it back at Queens Village LIRR. If this were to happen, musical depot would have to be played. Edited by Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Extend the Q27 to the Q5/N4

Extend the Q4 to Elmont Rd

There's a few reasons why this wouldn't work. First of all, the Q27 is long enough as it is. If you extend it further, it will become even more unrealible. Second, I don't think that anybody from Flushing wants to go to Merrick Blvd. As for the Q4, it dosen't need to be extended to Long Island. There's a reason that it's called MTA New York City Bus. If you Long Island Bus Service, take NICE.

There's a few reasons why this wouldn't work. First of all, the Q27 is long enough as it is. If you extend it further, it will become even more unrealible. Second, I don't think that anybody from Flushing wants to go to Merrick Blvd. As for the Q4, it dosen't need to be extended to Long Island. There's a reason that it's called MTA New York City Bus. If you want Long Island Bus Service, take NICE.

Keep in mind, the (MTA) proposed the 27 extension to Merrick.

There's a few reasons why this wouldn't work. First of all, the Q27 is long enough as it is. If you extend it further, it will become even more unrealible. Second, I don't think that anybody from Flushing wants to go to Merrick Blvd. 

Does anyone from Flushing want to go to Linden Blvd? LOL,

Does anyone take the Q60 the entire route? Does anyone take the Q44 from Jamaica to the Bronx Zoo? 

As for the Q4, it dosen't need to be extended to Long Island. There's a reason that it's called MTA New York City Bus. If you Long Island Bus Service, take NICE.

1.  the Q4, it just ends at the Cross Island Parkway. 2. Elmont road is a quarter of a mile away. 3. The idea is to connect to NICE so that someone could take NICE... and vice versa.  If that's the case then the Q5 and Q85 should go no further than Hook Creek Blvd.

On the Q27/Q77 part---if you extend the Q27 to 145 Road, unless the Q77 is then extended to Green Acres Mall, it becomes useless.

However, I would ask, but not as a proposal per se...how would extending the Q77 to Green Acres work for the route? The Q27's Cambria Heights terminal would remain where it is, but the Q83 would have service extended down Springfield Boulevard to the schools at the southern end, providing a connection into Jamaica more centrally. (The branch to 227 Street would remain.)

The Q77 would remain on Franny Lew to Conduit Avenue and then head to Green Acres. There would be new stops all along the route (as there is no bus route along much of the extension).

What does extending the Q77 have to do with extending the Q27 to the current Q77 terminal?

While I don't agree that the Q27 should be extended any further, it wouldn't make the extension useless b/c the Q77 doesn't go elsewhere... That's bad logic.

Anyway, as far as extending Q77's to Green Acres (outside of residents in the immediate area that would opt to take it), you may steal some riders from off the Q5 if they're tryna get to springfield/merrick (Q77's would be less busier b/w the 2 separate stints)... You may also garner a couple more folks disembarking Q27's @ springfield/francis lewis for the 77 (compared to how many currently make that connection/go about w/ that xfer scenario), I'd say that's about it.... I'm not sayin it'd benefit a minute amt. of ppl, but I don't think there's enough latent usage to justify actually sending Q77's down there either....

One of the reasons a route like the Q77 doesn't flourish all that well are b/c of the Jamaica ctr. routes (Q4/5/84/85), and the Q2.

It's similar as to why the Q9a/Q89 was a fail (the connecting routes to it that also serves Jamaica, were/are more frequent) - except the Q77 directly serves schools (plural), while the Q89 didn't... Outside of simple coverage south of the Q84 (120th), I still say this is the single solitary thing that's keeping the Q77 alive....

What does extending the Q77 have to do with extending the Q27 to the current Q77 terminal?

While I don't agree that the Q27 should be extended any further, it wouldn't make the extension useless b/c the Q77 doesn't go elsewhere... That's bad logic.

Anyway, as far as extending Q77's to Green Acres (outside of residents in the immediate area that would opt to take it), you may steal some riders from off the Q5 if they're tryna get to springfield/merrick (Q77's would be less busier b/w the 2 separate stints)... You may also garner a couple more folks disembarking Q27's @ springfield/francis lewis for the 77 (compared to how many currently make that connection/go about w/ that xfer scenario), I'd say that's about it.... I'm not sayin it'd benefit a minute amt. of ppl, but I don't think there's enough latent usage to justify actually sending Q77's down there either....

One of the reasons a route like the Q77 doesn't flourish all that well are b/c of the Jamaica ctr. routes (Q4/5/84/85), and the Q2.

It's similar as to why the Q9a/Q89 was a fail (the connecting routes to it that also serves Jamaica, were/are more frequent) - except the Q77 directly serves schools (plural), while the Q89 didn't... Outside of simple coverage south of the Q84 (120th), I still say this is the single solitary thing that's keeping the Q77 alive....

The route that would be extended to the Q77's current terminal would actually be the Q83, not the Q27. Its terminal would either remain at 120 Avenue. The idea here is to make the coverage more useful, as I recognize that the Q77 will be mostly that kind of route.

The route that would be extended to the Q77's current terminal would actually be the Q83, not the Q27. Its terminal would either remain at 120 Avenue. The idea here is to make the coverage more useful, as I recognize that the Q77 will be mostly that kind of route.

Nah man....

- In your last post, You said:

"On the Q27/Q77 part---if you extend the Q27 to 145 Road, unless the Q77 is then extended to Green Acres Mall, it becomes useless."

....My comments in the 1st paragraph of my last post is regarding this statement.

- You also, in your last post said:

"However, I would ask, but not as a proposal per se...how would extending the Q77 to Green Acres work for the route?"

....My comments in the 2nd paragraph of my last post is opinionating on this particular question you're asking.

- You're telling me in this post that:

"The route that would be extended to the Q77's current terminal would actually be the Q83, not the Q27."

You either didn't understand, or blatantly evaded that question I asked -

It had nothing to do with what you later said about sending Q83's down Springfield... I read your post dude.

I'll ask the question regarding that first statement you made (In bold, in this post) differently.

* How does a Q27 extension to 145th road become useless if the Q77 is not extended to Green Acres?

That branch has extremely poor service, and the Q1 is used only to relieve the 27 and 43.

+1....

Beat me to it... That's what I said to myself before I saw your post here starting a next page in the thread.

That branch has extremely poor service, and the Q1 is used only to relieve the 27 and 43.

I agree with that statement. In fact all Q1s should just go down Braddock Avenue. There's no need to send the Q1 to QV when the Q36 already goes there plus it's also quicker as it doesn't stay on Hillside Avenue as long.

Nah man....

- In your last post, You said:

"On the Q27/Q77 part---if you extend the Q27 to 145 Road, unless the Q77 is then extended to Green Acres Mall, it becomes useless."

....My comments in the 1st paragraph of my last post is regarding this statement.

- You also, in your last post said:

"However, I would ask, but not as a proposal per se...how would extending the Q77 to Green Acres work for the route?"

....My comments in the 2nd paragraph of my last post is opinionating on this particular question you're asking.

- You're telling me in this post that:

"The route that would be extended to the Q77's current terminal would actually be the Q83, not the Q27."

You either didn't understand, or blatantly evaded that question I asked -

It had nothing to do with what you later said about sending Q83's down Springfield... I read your post dude.

I'll ask the question regarding that first statement you made (In bold, in this post) differently.

* How does a Q27 extension to 145th road become useless if the Q77 is not extended to Green Acres?

I agree with all this. Honestly, I'm sick of hearing about extending the Q27. A crosstown Springfield Boulevard route isn't necessary plus that route is way too long and unreliable to extend. Even an extension to Merrick which I can understand so people don't have to transfer to the Q77 which has crap headways so they could use the Q5 to Green Acres is overkill and still adds a lot of mileage to the Q27. Now about that aemoreira81's proposal, I do agree that the Q77 could be extended to Green Acres to help out the Q5 since it gets crush loaded. Riders on the Q27 can shut up about extending the route to Merrick for Q5 to Green Acres since they won't have to transfer twice (and it doesn't require tampering with the Q27). But one thing I would do is eliminate the Green Acres branch of the Q85 and have all Q85s go to 147 Av/243 St since having both Q77s and Q85s going to Green Acres would be redundant. And about the Q83 to 145 Road I don't see the point of that. The Q83 has no business being on Springfield Boulevard. That route is fine the way it is.

I agree with all this. Honestly, I'm sick of hearing about extending the Q27. A crosstown Springfield Boulevard route isn't necessary plus that route is way too long and unreliable to extend. Even an extension to Merrick which I can understand so people don't have to transfer to the Q77 which has crap headways so they could use the Q5 to Green Acres is overkill and still adds a lot of mileage to the Q27. Now about that aemoreira81's proposal, I do agree that the Q77 could be extended to Green Acres to help out the Q5 since it gets crush loaded. Riders on the Q27 can shut up about extending the route to Merrick for Q5 to Green Acres since they won't have to transfer twice (and it doesn't require tampering with the Q27). But one thing I would do is eliminate the Green Acres branch of the Q85 and have all Q85s go to 147 Av/243 St since having both Q77s and Q85s going to Green Acres would be redundant. And about the Q83 to 145 Road I don't see the point of that. The Q83 has no business being on Springfield Boulevard. That route is fine the way it is.

The question remains, however...what serves the southern end of Springfield Boulevard, south of Merrick Gardens High School? Or would there simply be select school trippers to and from there? If not the Q83, would it be just the Q85 that serves that area (plus school trippers)? I'm not sure that only the Q85 would be adequate. I could support running the Q27 down to Merrick (as there is a supermarket there) and ending the route there. However, under no circumstances should the Q27 be extended past Merrick. I would consider extending the Q83 to Merrick though.

I cannot agree with eliminating the Green Acres branch of the Q85 though...that would take away service to Green Acres for a large portion of southeastern Queens.

The question remains, however...what serves the southern end of Springfield Boulevard, south of Merrick Gardens High School? Or would there simply be select school trippers to and from there? If not the Q83, would it be just the Q85 that serves that area (plus school trippers)? I'm not sure that only the Q85 would be adequate. I could support running the Q27 down to Merrick (as there is a supermarket there) and ending the route there. However, under no circumstances should the Q27 be extended past Merrick. I would consider extending the Q83 to Merrick though.

I cannot agree with eliminating the Green Acres branch of the Q85 though...that would take away service to Green Acres for a large portion of southeastern Queens.

That part of Springfield Boulevard south of 145 Road is virtually dead. No bus should ever go down there as it wouldn't yield any ridership. About the Q85 the Green Acres branch is only used as a supplement for the Q5 and anyone who wants Green Acres could transfer to the extended Q77. Also I am not gonna bother with that part about the Q27 as I have already said why extending it to Merrick is a bad idea. The Q83 doesn't need to go to Merrick either, it's fine the way it is.

q20 a&b consolidated the B branch stays and takes the A'S frequencies and able to interline the q76

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e8bef02173a3eddb0

q76 terminal extended to cover old q20A branch and available to interline with q20, q17 takes it's place at 165th bus terminal

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e8bfc81db31053c01

q20 a&b consolidated the B branch stays and takes the A'S frequencies and able to interline the q76

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e8bef02173a3eddb0

q76 terminal extended to cover old q20A branch and available to interline with q20, q17 takes it's place at 165th bus terminal

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e8bfc81db31053c01

I would rather have the opposite branch cut. I would cut the B branch with far less ridership and keep the A branch. The Q76 serves a different purpose and a lot of people from Flushing and Main Street use the Q20A to College Pt. I don't think they would want to transfer to a slow and less often route like the Q76. Have your ever ridden the Q76 during off peak hours? The waiting time is horrible with it 22-24 minute waits and Weekends it's worst with 30 minutes. At least the Q20 has a 8-14 minute wait time. The Q34 could serve the 14th Ave part of College Pt since it only operates weekdays only. In my opinion I think things are fine so they should stay the same. The Q34 in my opinion is the one that should stop serving Kissena Blvd and have The Q25 with increased service between Flushing and Jamaica. It would be a blessing for a empty bus to head towards Jamaica instead of going on the Q34 back to Whitestone carrying mostly air.

All you needed to do was get rid of the Q20A and extend the Q76 down 20 Avenue to the Q20's terminus in College Point. The Q76 doesn't need to be extended to Merrick/Archer. But I do agree that the Q17 should be cut back to 165 Street Terminal as the Q20 and Q44 already go to Merrick/Archer from Flushing and Jamaica bound Q17 empty out after 179 Street (F) station.

I would rather have the opposite branch cut. I would cut the B branch with far less ridership and keep the A branch. The Q76 serves a different purpose and a lot of people from Flushing and Main Street use the Q20A to College Pt. I don't think they would want to transfer to a slow and less often route like the Q76. Have your ever ridden the Q76 during off peak hours? The waiting time is horrible with it 22-24 minute waits and Weekends it's worst with 30 minutes. At least the Q20 has a 8-14 minute wait time. The Q34 could serve the 14th Ave part of College Pt since it only operates weekdays only. In my opinion I think things are fine so they should stay the same. The Q34 in my opinion is the one that should stop serving Kissena Blvd and have The Q25 with increased service between Flushing and Jamaica. It would be a blessing for a empty bus to head towards Jamaica instead of going on the Q34 back to Whitestone carrying mostly air.

Actually I agree with him that the Q20A should be eliminated as it is a bit redundant to the Q76 on 20 Avenue. The Q34 I also agree should be taken off Kissena/Parsons Boulevard but it should be extended along Willets Point Boulevard on it's northern end, not the Q20B's routing. Willets Point doesn't have through local bus service and terminating Q34s at 149 Street/Willets Point is also arbitrary.

Those are affluent people , look how close it is to Nassau County, That whole area as well is affluent as well (Douglaston, Little Neck, Glen Oaks). They would only use the QM6, and not any local bus. You already have the QM6 at NST for coverage, and the residents only utilize that. Why do you think they've never asked for local service?

Nobody is gonna take the Q36 to the north shore towers. Of those people that use public transportation, they take the QM6. Look at it this way, those residents are just like riverdalians in a sense (opt for the express over local) or the Shore Road residents.

LOL... I just saw this... He can't seriously think that people from the North Shore Towers (which by the way is a gated community is going to take the local bus).  :lol: That's like people in Fieldston using the local bus.... Not happening.

I will say this though.... It's interesting that they in essence have their own express bus, since the QM6's destination is the North Shore Towers. I can't think of any express bus that serves a condo or cooperative exclusively the way the QM6 does.  In Riverdale our express buses pass by several huge co-ops with stops almost outside the door, but they don't make that the destination point.  It makes me wonder how well used is the QM6 at that complex?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Is there a demand for the Q103 to terminate at Court Square?

Definitely more demand than having it end at Vernon-Jackson but what the Q103 needs is to be combined with the B32 (I know Q90 suggested that idea a while ago but I do have to agree with that). That route only has about 5 people on each bus and it runs 20 minute headways plus it's weekdays only.

Actually I agree with him that the Q20A should be eliminated as it is a bit redundant to the Q76 on 20 Avenue. The Q34 I also agree should be taken off Kissena/Parsons Boulevard but it should be extended along Willets Point Boulevard on it's northern end, not the Q20B's routing. Willets Point doesn't have through local bus service and terminating Q34s at 149 Street/Willets Point is also arbitrary.

Besides weekdays especially rush hours no one really uses the Q76 to College Pt. A lot of people use the Q20 to get to Flushing . The Q76 also suffers from infrequent service and it's long and indirect routing.

Besides weekdays especially rush hours no one really uses the Q76 to College Pt. A lot of people use the Q20 to get to Flushing . The Q76 also suffers from infrequent service and it's long and indirect routing.

Q76 as indirect as it may look is actually is better than the Q20, Q25, or Q65 if you're going from College Point to Jamaica. The Q76 isn't very frequent, you're correct about that however it is a quick link from College Point to Jamaica without having to go through Flushing (and we all know how slow buses in Flushing are) and it's because Francis Lewis Boulevard doesn't get congested. And about the Q20 the reason why I think the Q20B should be the one kept although the Q20A has more ridership is since if you get rid of it, coverage on 14 Avenue is lost while on 20 Avenue, the Q76 could just be extended. The only reason more people use the Q20A is because it is more frequent.