Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I said this millions of times that you would be able to transfer to the Q10 or B15 at Federal Circle.

The transfer between the Q10 Limited and the B15 is also at Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain. Speaking of that, an argument can be potentially made for terminating some Q10 Limited trips at that station It is an additional 10 minutes to the central terminal area. (Likewise, I would be inclined to terminate alternate B15 buses at the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain station...you can then deploy the extra buses on other routes.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The transfer between the Q10 Limited and the B15 is also at Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain. Speaking of that, an argument can be potentially made for terminating some Q10 Limited trips at that station It is an additional 10 minutes to the central terminal area. (Likewise, I would be inclined to terminate alternate B15 buses at the Lefferts Boulevard AirTrain station...you can then deploy the extra buses on other routes.

yeah B15 Riders would not go for it unless you just extend the former postal facility short turns to lefferts airtrain.

I never understood why the Q40 went to Hillside Ave anyway, I think it's a waste.
- I never understood the Q40 going to Hillside Ave either, but it was probably to reduce crowding at 165

(methinks, notice how all the other JFK routes go there..)

Mileage is probably why. Why the Q40 goes to Hillside and Sutphin probably has to do with where you can reasonably turn the bus around.

For the patrons along/around the route (including the sutphin blvd folks), the Q40 to Hillside is the most direct path to the (F)... The Q60 doesn't connect to the F until you hit Briarwood, the Q6/8/9 all turn off at Archer for 165th st terminal (and never connect to the F), and although the Q112 takes you to Parsons Blvd (F), from south/sutphin, that is too indirect a ride..... So I understand why the Q40 is the lone wolf (so to speak) that continues up sutphin to Hillside for the F......

What it is, is that, in the AM, you have more people getting off buses at Sutphin for the (E) & take that to Briarwood if they need to get to the (F).... and in the PM, you'll have more ppl. taking the (F) to sutphin for the Q40 (compared to how many would do the reverse [Q40 to the F] in the AM)..... You're always gonna have the masses that catch the 40 around sutphin/archer after having came off the (E) or (J).... SB Q40's at Hillside isn't as ill-used as ppl might think......

I don't think the Q40 to hillside is wasteful at all, doubt mileage has to do with why it ends there, bus traffic inside 165th might be a reason as to why it doesn't terminate there (always wondered how it might've performed if it ran to 165th bus terminal, via sutphin, via hillside).....

There is a lot of people who board the Q111/Q113 at Hillside Parsons Station. The Q110 doesn't get a whole lot of people there and the Q112 it depends on the day.....

The Q25/Q34 and Q65 should start on Jamaica Parsons and most of the people get on and get off there. Most of the buses crowd there anyway. Some people get on at Archer Ave and 150st and LIRR Airtrain Station......

I guess I'm not the only person that seldom ever sees a noticable crowd waiting for the Q25/34/65 at Jamaica ctr. bus terminal; the masses, for the longest, have always waited at jamaica/parsons for those 3 routes, you're right..... But I won't go as far as to say they should start at Jamaica/Parsons though; that would be a logistical nightmare.....

As far as the Baisley routes, all true... the 112 is rather sporadic at parsons (F) itself, the 110 is consistently the weakest usage-wise of the 4 from there (because as Astoria line said; the masses wait for 110's at jamaica/160th), 111 & 113 consistently gets crowds at parsons F (especially the 111).....

He (Q90) was talking in regards to his Q9 suggestion..... It's a way of him saying that a connection to the B15 would still be intact at Federal cir. if the Q9 were to be routed the way he suggested, compared to my suggestion of sending Q9's to lefferts AIRtrain & folks xferring to the B15 there.... That's all that was.... Nobody was arguing that a B15 connection would be lost anyway, so I don't know why he kept harping on that......

As far as the rest of your reply, I would leave all the Q10's & B15's that enter airport property ending at T5.....

I would have (altered) B20's (instead of extended B15 short-turns) & extended Q9's ending at Lefferts AIRtrain.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Would passenger service be impacted negatively by sending all 110s to the current part time terminal at 179th St? The less routes that have to travel through Jamaica proper, the more reliable service can be (due to the insane amount of congestion there - it rivals Flushing in terms of slow bus speed.)

Would passenger service be impacted negatively by sending all 110s to the current part time terminal at 179th St? The less routes that have to travel through Jamaica proper, the more reliable service can be (due to the insane amount of congestion there - it rivals Flushing in terms of slow bus speed.)

Without a doubt, yes....

Although the Q110 doesn't pick up heavy at its current full time terminal (Parsons Blvd (F)), Jamaica av b/w Parsons & 168th accounts for too great a percentage of the route's usage (pickups due EB & dropoffs due WB)..... You would cripple too many of those riders by sending all 110's to terminate at 179th (F); you'd make the route more useless, is what I'm trying to say (even for the sake of decreasing congestion w/i Jamaica....)

Why does the Q110 stop at 179 ? Does it even have any stops a between 179Pl, Hillside Ave and Jamaica Ave. I always thought that little branch should be eliminated because its last stop is the (F) train station anyway and down on Parsons and Jamaica you can get the (E) and the (J).

Why does the Q110 stop at 179 ? Does it even have any stops a between 179Pl, Hillside Ave and Jamaica Ave. I always thought that little branch should be eliminated because its last stop is the (F) train station anyway and down on Parsons and Jamaica you can get the (E) and the (J).

It's a rush hour short trip. It makes no stops from Hillside and 179 to Jamaica and 188. My thing is how come there's no PM short trips to 212?

I've seen quite a few people get on the Q110 @ 179 on those rush hour trips..... It ain't like they're empty.

And not everyone wants to deal with that ratchet (E) train lol... Now since I'll be taking the N6x everyday from LI, I'm not taking that (E) anymore, the (F) is my new friend

Edited by Astoria Line

The line often stretches halfway down that block for the Q110 (which is like a Manhattan avenue block, so do the math...)

I've seen quite a few people get on the Q110 @ 179 on those rush hour trips..... It ain't like they're empty.

And not everyone wants to deal with that ratchet (E) train lol... Now since I'll be taking the N6x everyday from LI, I'm not taking that (E) anymore, the (F) is my new friend

I actually prefer the (E) over the (F), because the stations are nicer (and by that they don't smell like human waste all the time, as opposed to 169th and 179th) and there's a bit more to do around the (E) than the (F). Plus, the (E) has Tim Horton's.

Canadian donuts are a plot to take over the world but they're really good.

Thanks guys for all the comments and criticism. It is greatly appreciated.

1. Intersting take with the BP routes in downtown Jamaica. I agree with the Q110 comments. It gets its ridership in downtown Jamaica. It is best not to terminate it at 179 at all times.....

2. I also agree about the Q25/34/65. Most of its Jamaica ridership gets on at McDonalds/Wendy's on Jamaica Ave. However, it should continue to terminate at Jamaica LIRR.

3. The reason that I chose the Q84 to go to Sutphin Blvd-LIRR and possibly Hillside Avenue is because all Merrick Blvd routes go to Parsons-Archer. Being that the Q84 is the least used out of all 4, I figured it'll garner some ridership with the extension.

4. The Q113 would be LTD along Guy Brewer, Q111 would be local...

5. Noticed quite a few people waiting for that Q9 at Rockaway Blvd yesterday afternoon. Are most of these customers coming off the 10 or local folks?

Edited by SubBus

The line often stretches halfway down that block for the Q110 (which is like a Manhattan avenue block, so do the math...)

I actually prefer the (E) over the (F), because the stations are nicer (and by that they don't smell like human waste all the time, as opposed to 169th and 179th) and there's a bit more to do around the (E) than the (F). Plus, the (E) has Tim Horton's.

Canadian donuts are a plot to take over the world but they're really good.

LOL by nice stations I hope you don't mean Jamaica Center...... Jamaica Center is one of the dirtiest stations that I've been too in the system, especially the bathrooms! YUCK!

LOL by nice stations I hope you don't mean Jamaica Center...... Jamaica Center is one of the dirtiest stations that I've been too in the system, especially the bathrooms! YUCK!

lmao !

.....Noticed quite a few people waiting for that Q9 at Rockaway Blvd yesterday afternoon. Are most of these customers coming off the 10 or local folks?

I'd say most of those pax. that wait at the Q9's first pickup stop (Rockaway Blvd) are people coming off Q7's.....

A significant amt. of them are coming off Q10's though.... Very few are folks that live around the immediate area.

For a while, even before I joined this forum, I wanted to plan a new Queens bus route called the Q90 (hence why that's my username) I knew it would start in Ridgewood and would run via Central and Cooper Avenues. However I was confused where to send it. At first, I proposed 35 Avenue and 21 Street, Long Island City but I have since scrapped that plan as I thought that wouldn't be a good terminus, then I thought about sending it to PABT but then I realized that was ridiculous as that would be way too long.

But spare the intro, I finalized it's route and it would run between Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal and Astoria-2 Street and 27 Avenue via Broadway and Central/Cooper Avenues. The route is about 10 miles long in both directions and I estimate it should take somewhere around an hour and a half depending on traffic (lol this is just an educated guess). Anyways heres is the map of it I drew: 

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214089513480814599261.0004e11e37232500c0977

So anyways please tell me what you think about it. Also if you see anything wrong with it then tell me about it.

And one last thing, the Q104 bus route would be discontinued as the majority of the route would duplicate the Q90. If anyone uses the Q104 along anywhere on 48 Street, then you could just walk there from the Q90. Also I completely understand that the IND Queens Boulevard line runs along the majority of Broadway as well so you may think "oh people would just take that instead." But take note that it's purpose isn't really to serve Broadway. And I'll tell you that the Q90 would be an effective alternative to the Q58 between Ridgewood and Elmhurst as it would definitely relieve crowding on the Q58 especially as buses are constantly packed. Not to mention it would be quicker too as it uses less crowded streets. Notice how busy Fresh Pond road and Grand Avenue are during rush hours. Central and Cooper Avenues don't see traffic jams even during rush hours. Amyways time for me to stop wasting time posting this topic and for you guys to give your thoughts about it.

a.) That's a really long route.. That may cause the route to be EXTREMELY unreliable, ESPECIALLY running it on Woodhaven and Broadway. (Have you seen the traffic on Woodhaven?)

b.) Is the ridership there for Cooper/Central Avs? I've been in the area, and I'm not too keen on the idea. (Not many people use buses in that area anyways, have you been to Atlas Park Mall? Not many people come off the 54 over there, not many take the 47 and 29 from there either... its a dead mall....)

c.) other than the fact that it serves Cooper Ave, it is basically mirroring a whole bunch of routes... Half of the route is the Q53....

d.) The B'way stretch of the Q104 doesn't get a whole lot of riders, every time I ride the 104 it is only SRO (and that's with 20/30 min headways iirc)

The whole idea to me is redundant and very long

If riders in the area want QCM, they can take the Q58 or Q53

If riders in the area want LIC, they can take the Q39

a.) That's a really long route.. That may cause the route to be EXTREMELY unreliable, ESPECIALLY running it on Woodhaven and Broadway. (Have you seen the traffic on Woodhaven?)

The stretch of Woodhaven he has the route on isn't too bad.  Not compared to the stretch before the route starts on it at least from my experiences with Woodhaven.

But indeed, that is one long long route.

b.) Is the ridership there for Cooper/Central Avs? I've been in the area, and I'm not too keen on the idea. (Not many people use buses in that area anyways, have you been to Atlas Park Mall? Not many people come off the 54 over there, not many take the 47 and 29 from there either... its a dead mall....)

c.) other than the fact that it serves Cooper Ave, it is basically mirroring a whole bunch of routes... Half of the route is the Q53....

d.) The B'way stretch of the Q104 doesn't get a whole lot of riders, every time I ride the 104 it is only SRO (and that's with 20/30 min headways iirc)

The whole idea to me is redundant and very long

If riders in the area want QCM, they can take the Q58 or Q53

If riders in the area want LIC, they can take the Q39

Thanks for the feedback. And also I've been to Atlas on the Q54. Quite a decent amount of people got off when I used it. Yes I know Woodhaven is busy, I've seen cars bunch up a lot. Also I stated in the original post that it would make a good alternative to the Q58 since a lot of people take it to QCM from Ridgewood. Plus since Central and Cooper Avenues aren't busy (unlike Fresh Pond Road and Grand Avenue) it's an effective alternative to the Q58. Also the Q90 does not go to anywhere near LIC. It goes to Astoria. LIC was just one of my original proposals for it but it was scrapped because I felt it really wasn't a good route for it to run.

Astoria Line is right. This route isn't a good idea at all.

1. The route is just way too long. You have the bus's terminals at both LIC and the Ridgewood terminal. With all of the weaving the bus will have to go to and fro both terminals, this adds a lot of time for the bus. You can literally spend over an hour on only a portion because of all of the traffic in and out of the bus and the constant weaving.

2. There are so several areas where the bus can get jammed in not only traffic, but high overcapacity of passengers, too.

a. Woodhaven Boulevard has extremely heavy traffic, and it's extremely common for cars, trucks, and buses to do nothing except crawl down the street. Don't let the estimated time on Google Maps fool you. You could spend a long time on Woodhaven Boulevard, especially at busy intersections and the area where buses turn onto the Long Island Expressway. On a limited, you can cut the time down, but on a local, you can really be up a creek without a paddle.

b. I'm not as familiar with Broadway and some others here (especially the portion west of the 74th Street station), but even that street gets heavy with traffic. On the Q53, that bus can literally crawl and get stuck at various intersections due to its size and weaving.

c. And then there's Hoffman Drive, which can be a literal hellhole. I've been there a lot, and it's not uncommon for buses to get crammed in that small street, extremely full to the point where not all of the passengers can get on, and sometimes stuck because of all the cars and trucks waiting to get onto Woodhaven Boulevard. Schooldays during the PM rush hour is where buses get hit the worst.

Why not just extend Q52 or 53 to Astoria via Broadway

The Q53 is long enough already, and it gets constantly stuck in traffic on both ends. The same goes for the Q52, and it doesn't even go to Jackson Heights. Extend either to Astoria, and you can turn that bus route into one congested pain in the ass.

Edited by RTS CNG Command

The stretch of Woodhaven he has the route on isn't too bad.  Not compared to the stretch before the route starts on it at least from my experiences with Woodhaven.

But indeed, that is one long long route.

Yes it is long but I still think it's reliable which is why I proposed it. Especially I live near Fresh Pond Road and when I went to Queens Boulevard I have always used the Q58. It takes quite some time especially with the traffic on Fresh Pond and Grand even with the limited  (and don't even tell me how bad Fresh Pond is during rush hours). But if my Q90 route was real, I would rather take that because it runs through Central and Cooper Avenues which don't have traffic.   

Why not just extend Q52 or 53 to Astoria via Broadway then extend Q64 trips to Ridgewood with the same $$? Just sayin. Or extend Q29 to serve that part of Broadway since it's shorter than the Q52/53. Well if the buses in that area are indirect why would people use them?

The Q52 and Q53 are more than long enough (it only makes sense to have then that length since they are limiteds) and they also are constantly put in traffic jams on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards and since when should the Q64 go to Ridgewood? If any extension should be made to the Q64 it should be to Oakland Gardens via 73 Avenue to replace the former Q75. And Q29 along Broadway that is ridiculous. If any Q29 extension should be made then it should be to the Moore Terminal to provide connections to other transit lines. Anyways why am I going off topic with your ridiculous proposals? Just stick with stuff related to my Q90. 

1. The route is just way too long. You have the bus's terminals at both LIC and the Ridgewood terminal. With all of the weaving the bus will have to go to and fro both terminals, this adds a lot of time for the bus. You can literally spend over an hour on only a portion because of all of the traffic in and out of the bus and the constant weaving.

2. There are so several areas where the bus can get jammed in not only traffic, but high overcapacity of passengers, too.

a. Woodhaven Boulevard has extremely heavy traffic, and it's extremely common for cars, trucks, and buses to do nothing except crawl down the street. Don't let the estimated time on Google Maps fool you. You could spend a long time on Woodhaven Boulevard, especially at busy intersections and the area where buses turn onto the Long Island Expressway. On a limited, you can cut the time down, but on a local, you can really be up a creek without a paddle.

b. I'm not as familiar with Broadway and some others here (especially the portion west of the 74th Street station), but even that street gets heavy with traffic. On the Q53, that bus can literally crawl and get stuck at various intersections due to its size and weaving.

c. And then there's Hoffman Drive, which can be a literal hellhole. I've been there a lot, and it's not uncommon for buses to get crammed in that small street, extremely full to the point where not all of the passengers can get on, and sometimes stuck because of all the cars and trucks waiting to get onto Woodhaven Boulevard. Schooldays during the PM rush hour is where buses get hit the worst.

The Q53 is long enough already, and it gets constantly stuck in traffic on both ends. The same goes for the Q52, and it doesn't even go to Jackson Heights. Extend either to Astoria, and you can turn that bus route into one congested pain in the ass.

Yes I know that part of Broadway at 74 Street does get jammed with traffic at times, especially with large buses. And mentioning that, I think that's why Woodside bound Q53s were rerouted on Roosevelt and 39 Avenues, to avoid that jam. And also with Hoffman Drive, I wasn't too aware of that because whenever I been there, traffic seemed okay. Kinda off topic but you know why can't cars and trucks just turn onto Woodhaven from Queens Boulevard because it is legal to do that to avoid any kind of jams on Hoffman? Also the part of Woodhaven the Q90 operates on isn't bad. Woodhaven starts getting really bad south of the Union Turnpike. And last thing, the Q90 does not go even close to Long Island, it goes to Astoria.

The Q52 and Q53 are more than long enough (it only makes sense to have then that length since they are limiteds) and they also are constantly put in traffic jams on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards and since when should the Q64 go to Ridgewood? If any extension should be made to the Q64 it should be to Oakland Gardens via 73 Avenue to replace the former Q75. And Q29 along Broadway that is ridiculous. If any Q29 extension should be made then it should be to the Moore Terminal to provide connections to other transit lines. Anyways why am I going off topic with your ridiculous proposals? Just stick with stuff related to my Q90.

Moore terminal? Explain this. And for Q64 that extension provides a direct link to woodhaven Blvd Q53/52 for the rockaways. Also yes some Q64 trips can extend to replace Q75. Since when should Q64 extend to Oakland gardens? No need to be rude. Q29 to that area absorbs Q104 or Q29 to Astoria via Q18's 30th ave portion rerouting Q18 to absorb Q104. That is another option. Isn't your Q90 just as ridiculous? Think before throwing insults stupid. That Q29 extension also gives connections to Jackson heights lines and the upcoming Q70.

Moore terminal? Explain this. And for Q64 that extension provides a direct link to woodhaven Blvd Q53/52 for the rockaways. Also yes some Q64 trips can extend to replace Q75. Since when should Q64 extend to Oakland gardens? No need to be rude. Q29 to that area absorbs Q104 or Q29 to Astoria via Q18's 30th ave portion rerouting Q18 to absorb Q104. That is another option. Isn't your Q90 just as ridiculous? Think before throwing insults stupid. That Q29 extension also gives connections to Jackson heights lines and the upcoming Q70.

*slaps forehead* the Moore Terminal is the bus terminal at the 74 Street-Broadway/Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue station served directly by Q47, Q33, and Q49. Oakland Gardens was where the Q75 terminated. Also how am I insulting you. I didn't call you a bad name so don't call me stupid and you can also get in trouble for that in case you don't know. I said that your ideas were ridiculous. That's not insulting it shows that your proposals are not going to work. And again, I said the Q29 should only be extended to Moore Terminal.