Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having long winded routes like that makes it easier for the DOT - all they gotta do is just stay on one street changing bus stop signage & what not.... LMAO !

It's (the crappy defense) already been resorted to... Albeit not with those 2 routes, but it's funny you bring up Alabama av - because that's exactly what I was thinking of in my last post when this actual defense (paraphrased) arose:

Extend the B12 short turn trips to Broadway Junction

- Nope, Alabama av (J) is good enough - it's 'one station away' from Broadway Junction

(of course, this was before they cut the route back from liberty/sheridan)....

Riders have been clamoring for that for decades; wouldn't doubt you have those that still do so to this day)

You mean coming from Parkside Avenue, right? (Not coming from City Line)

What routing would it (likely) take to get to Broadway Junction? (Would it take ENY Av - Broadway -  Van Sinderen, layover and then take Fulton - East NY Av?)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

It's ha Brooklyn Division route---but I think that the Q55 could use some better connections, especially on its eastern end, where it ends in a residential area. To that end, I would extend the Q55 along Jamaica Avenue (to serve Jamaica Hospital) and have it end at the LIRR/AirTrain station in Jamaica, which would place both ends of the route in transit hubs.

I would send it to 179th (F) for more connections with more buses it would extend via hillside ave.

It's a Brooklyn Division route---but I think that the Q55 could use some better connections, especially on its eastern end, where it ends in a residential area. To that end, I would extend the Q55 along Jamaica Avenue (to serve Jamaica Hospital) and have it end at the LIRR/AirTrain station in Jamaica, which would place both ends of the route in transit hubs.

I would leave the Q55 right where it is.

You mean coming from Parkside Avenue, right? (Not coming from City Line)

What routing would it (likely) take to get to Broadway Junction?

(Would it take ENY Av - Broadway -  Van Sinderen, layover and then take Fulton - East NY Av?)

1a] As far as where the route was cut back from? Nah, I mean coming from city line....

- If I said the route was cut back to Alabama av, it's the same thing (logic-wise) as saying the route was cut back from city line (I said the latter instead of the former).....

- If I said the route was cut back from Parkside, that would implicate the route went somewhere further than parkside on that end of the route for them to have cut (which of course didn't happen).....

1b] If you're referring to my use of the statement in parentheses as it relates to the complaint/suggestion..... I'm saying you had those that wanted the B12 extended to B'way junction from Alabama av (which back then, Alabama av was the short turn terminal [not like the full time terminal it is now] - Which is why I said/added "of course, this was before they cut the route back from liberty/sheridan") ..... I thought it was obvious I was talking about B12's coming from Parkside.....

I wasn't saying the route was coming from city line to terminate at B'way junction.

2] As for the routing it would likely take to B'way junction..... Yeh, that would be the likely routing going (as it would drop pax off right in front the subway entrance)..... Laying over & coming back though, I would assume buses would layover on & make its first pickup on van sinderen b/w fulton & herkimer, then take herkimer to make that right onto ENY av....

Edited by B35 via Church

I don't think Hillside Avenue needs bus service west of Queens Boulevard

Yup, that.... and now that the (M) serves midtown, there no real need to run Q55's on the opposite end to the (F) in Jamaica....

Q55 to the Q29 (for QB access) is a very common xfer scenario down there in Glendale....

Yup, that.... and now that the (M) serves midtown, there no real need to run Q55's on the opposite end to the (F) in Jamaica....

Q55 to the Q29 (for QB access) is a very common xfer scenario down there in Glendale....

I thought it would be the 55 to Woodhaven for QB access but whatever works for them

Probably a cross between Queens (and Bronx) route changes and the SBS proposal, but all 3 routes are Queens Division routes. Proposals:

1. Extend the Q52 to Woodside-61 Street and cut half of the Q53 runs, alternating the Q52 and Q53. Convert the Q52/3 to Select Bus Service duty to speed up service, especially at known chokepoints like Queens Center Mall, Roosevelt Avenue-Jackson Heights, and Liberty Avenue. This would avoid overserving Rockaway Park, evenly distribute passenger load between the routes, and provide Arverne and Hammels with better connections to points north of Liberty Avenue. During the rush, run additional service between Howard Beach and Queens Center in the peak direction only. Two stops would be eliminated from the Q53 only: Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 102 and Beach 98 Streets.

2. Convert the Q44 to Select Bus Service duty and straighten out the route to reduce the amount of turns and crowded streets traversed in Jamaica. Buses would instead use Archer Avenue, 139 Street, Jamaica Avenue, and Queens Boulevard to operate between Jamaica and Briarwood. The following Q44 Limited stops would be eliminated: Sutphin Boulevard at Jamaica and Hillside Avenues, Main Street and Northern Boulevard, on Parsons Boulevard at 17 Avenue, and on the Cross Bronx Expressway frontage road at (southbound only, there is no corresponding northbound stop) Herrod, Beach/Taylor, Pugsley, Olmstead, (southbound only, northbound stop remains) Havemeyer, and (northbound only, there is no corresponding southbound stop) Zerega Avenues. Stops would be added at: Cross Bronx Expressway frontage road Gleason Avenue (southbound) and Ellis Avenue (northbound)...the thinking here being to have stops that can be used in both directions; the only eliminated bi-directional stop that would have qualified is Beach/Taylor.

3. Convert the Q113 Limited to SBS, with the following change made: Eliminate stops at Linden Boulevard and Foch Boulevard, and add a stop (combining those two stops) at 116 Avenue instead (driver changes would take place here, and this maintains service to the Baisley Park Houses).

The thinking here is that all of these routes are crosstowns where service could be made faster.

Probably a cross between Queens (and Bronx) route changes and the SBS proposal, but all 3 routes are Queens Division routes. Proposals:

1. Extend the Q52 to Woodside-61 Street and cut half of the Q53 runs, alternating the Q52 and Q53. Convert the Q52/3 to Select Bus Service duty to speed up service, especially at known chokepoints like Queens Center Mall, Roosevelt Avenue-Jackson Heights, and Liberty Avenue. This would avoid overserving Rockaway Park, evenly distribute passenger load between the routes, and provide Arverne and Hammels with better connections to points north of Liberty Avenue. During the rush, run additional service between Howard Beach and Queens Center in the peak direction only. Two stops would be eliminated from the Q53 only: Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 102 and Beach 98 Streets.

2. Convert the Q44 to Select Bus Service duty and straighten out the route to reduce the amount of turns and crowded streets traversed in Jamaica. Buses would instead use Archer Avenue, 139 Street, Jamaica Avenue, and Queens Boulevard to operate between Jamaica and Briarwood. The following Q44 Limited stops would be eliminated: Sutphin Boulevard at Jamaica and Hillside Avenues, Main Street and Northern Boulevard, on Parsons Boulevard at 17 Avenue, and on the Cross Bronx Expressway frontage road at (southbound only, there is no corresponding northbound stop) Herrod, Beach/Taylor, Pugsley, Olmstead, (southbound only, northbound stop remains) Havemeyer, and (northbound only, there is no corresponding southbound stop) Zerega Avenues. Stops would be added at: Cross Bronx Expressway frontage road Gleason Avenue (southbound) and Ellis Avenue (northbound)...the thinking here being to have stops that can be used in both directions; the only eliminated bi-directional stop that would have qualified is Beach/Taylor.

3. Convert the Q113 Limited to SBS, with the following change made: Eliminate stops at Linden Boulevard and Foch Boulevard, and add a stop (combining those two stops) at 116 Avenue instead (driver changes would take place here, and this maintains service to the Baisley Park Houses).

The thinking here is that all of these routes are crosstowns where service could be made faster.

What about putting the Q44 on Whitestone Expressway like the Q50. 

The problem I have with this is that a Q44/43 transfer now involves an unnecessary diversion into central Jamaica - a fair amount of people transfer at Sutphin/Hillside.

The Queens Limiteds aren't that slow (assuming it's not the Q58) on the majority of their segments - the only problems requiring bus lanes are on Main from Franklin to Northern, Kissena from Holly to Main, central Jamaica, and Hillside from Queens Blvd to Francis Lewis. The rest of the delays can easily be solved using traffic signal priority and offboard payment at major hubs. (This is also why they stopped Merrick SBS - it would save more time to reconfigure a freer-flowing bus pattern in Jamaica then have it speed through outer Queens and then hit a wall of traffic.)

What about putting the Q44 on Whitestone Expressway like the Q50. 

Parsons Blvd in College Point is a fairly dense, built up corridor that needs the service - it's a lot of ten-story apartments. The Q20 sucks, so you need the Q44 there to serve those riders. It doesn't slow down the Q44 that much anyways.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the particular suggestion, but some variation of this I think will eventually happen anyway....

I'm guessing a phasing out of the "LTD" routes for SBS service along Woodhaven & along Cross Bay (with said SBS service being "balanced" out to running to Rockaway Park and Arverne).... Said SBS service I think would emanate from Hoffman, due southbound.... The only real question would be, how much SBS service would they provide throughout the day.... Service north of Queens ctr. Mall would likely be filled in with an extended 11 or 21 (which would mean a service reduction).... This would go hand in hand to what I said earlier in this thread about the 29 & 33, in regards to the upcoming 70.... Then they would throw 11's or 21's (whichever one that'd get sent there) in the lane closest to the subway entrance of the bus terminal...

cliffnote version:

- An SBS service running along Woodhaven/Cross Bay b/w QB/Hoffman & either to Arverne or to Rockaway Park...

- Q11 I think they'll leave alone on both ends... then again, I would not be surprised if they combined the old howard & the hamilton beach services & have more buses end at pitkin throughout the day to try to cut costs, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.....

- Q21 I think would be the one they'll send up to 74th st bus terminal...

- Q29 & (the upcoming, shortened) Q33 I think'll be merged, to run b/w Glendale & East Elmhurst - thanks to the Q70...

- along Roosevelt, encourage people to take Q32's or the (7) [b/w Woodside-61st & 74th st bus terminal] & [b/w 82nd st & 74th st bus terminal]

All of these routes are north south so I wouldn't label these as "crosstowns" SBS would probably work on Woodhaven maybe Main St but not Brewer.

cliffnote version:

- An SBS service running along Woodhaven/Cross Bay b/w QB/Hoffman & either to Arverne or to Rockaway Park...

- Q11 I think they'll leave alone on both ends... then again, I would not be surprised if they combined the old howard & the hamilton beach services & have more buses end at pitkin throughout the day to try to cut costs, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.....

- Q21 I think would be the one they'll send up to 74th st bus terminal...

- Q29 & (the upcoming, shortened) Q33 I think'll be merged, to run b/w Glendale & East Elmhurst - thanks to the Q70...

- along Roosevelt, encourage people to take Q32's or the (7) [b/w Woodside-61st & 74th st bus terminal] & [b/w 82nd st & 74th st bus terminal]

1. No Comment

2. The MTA's been constantly biting down service in those areas. First they cut overnight service south of piktin, then they make midday frequencies every 60 minutes on both branches (a bus every 30 minutes on the combined portion) from 30 minutes (a bus every 15 minutes on both portions. Now, I do think 15 minutes is too frequent for that area, but 30 minutes is too high of a headway to even consider using)

3. They first would have to fix the current northbound fiasco on the 11/21 on the weekends, and then the mta would send both routes to Roosevelt. Now however, if that were to happen, I'm pretty sure there would be more of a service decrease.

4. I doubt the Q29 and 33 would be combined, the 33 operates to a transportation center, while the Q29 doesnt.

2. The MTA's been constantly biting down service in those areas. First they cut overnight service south of piktin, then they make midday frequencies every 60 minutes on both branches (a bus every 30 minutes on the combined portion) from 30 minutes (a bus every 15 minutes on both portions. Now, I do think 15 minutes is too frequent for that area, but 30 minutes is too high of a headway to even consider using)

Regarding biting down on service, yes exactly....

...and what I was alluding to when I said "I would not be surprised" regarding the Q11 down there, was the notion of combining the routing where the same hourly service would be retained.... In other words, instead of a bus going to old howard bch every 30 mins & a separate bus going to hamilton bch. every 30 mins, there would be a bus that would serve BOTH old howard & hamilton bch every hour..... The extra trips that would result from that, is what I'm saying they would perhaps cut back to pitkin.....

With the cut you're mentioning, I'm not sure if you exactly noticed what happened, but I certainly do....

When there was half hourly service south of pitkin middays (meaning, service to old howard every 15 & service to hamilton every 15), there were trips in-between buses that ran south of pitkin, that stopped dead at pitkin..... In other words, in-between every trip that ran to hamilton bch & every trip that ran to old howard bch, there was a trip that stopped dead at pitkin.... For every hour of service, you had 2 trips running to hamilton, 2 trips running to old howard, and 4 trips stopping dead at pitkin..... Meaning, there was service every 7-8 mins to pitkin itself (which included the 15 min service to old howard & the 15 min service to hamilton)

15 + (7+8) + 15 + (7+8) = 60 mins

(the "(7+8)"s you see above, represent the amount of buses that stopped dead at pitkin/hour; which was 2 every 15 mins {or, 4 BPH})

* Now, every midday trip runs south of pitkin & nothing stops dead at pitkin... Immediately, you wipe out that 4 BPH.

15 + (7+8) + 15 + (7+8) = only equals 30 mins, you would have to double that to get to 60 mins (mathematically)....

15 + 15 + 15 + 15 = 60 mins

^^ The problem with that is, they didn't want to maintain service every 15 mins south of pitkin, so they halved it to every 30

30 + 30 = 60 mins

It was a way of cutting the amt. of trips that ran to, and south of pitkin - Which again, included the hamilton beach & the old howard beach folks......

3. They first would have to fix the current northbound fiasco on the 11/21 on the weekends, and then the mta would send both routes to Roosevelt. Now however, if that were to happen, I'm pretty sure there would be more of a service decrease.

Don't know what "current northbound fiasco" you're referring to.....

Never said anything about possibly sending both the 11 & the 21 to the 74th st bus terminal.... 

Guess I'll split the post....

4. I doubt the Q29 and 33 would be combined, the 33 operates to a transportation center, while the Q29 doesnt.

Well you can doubt it..... But the thing is, they don't have to both run to 74th st bus terminal for them to combine it though...... The old Q45/Q47 for example, happened to have 74th as a common terminal (it just made streamlining things easier; less having to worry about stating "not too many riders being affected", as the MTA would say).....

Anyway, I can see them tryna take as much buses off of utilizing roosevelt in the immediate area as possible, and that would be one way to do it.... The Q33 not running inside LGA anymore is gonna lose quite a bit of passengers; Unfortunately, I don't think they're gonna leave the 33 as a standalone route once they'll see to what extent overall usage will tank (especially if the Q70 is a huge success, forget about it)......

Two examples:

Today's B43 was a combination of the old B47 & the old B62.... the old 47 ran to williamsburg from lefferts gardens, the old 62 ran downtown from greenpoint.... using what you're saying, you would've doubted the creation of today's B43 because - The 62 ran downtown & the 47 didn't....

Today's B47 was a combination of the old B40 & the old B78... the old 78 stopped dead at sutter-rutland (3), the old 40 ended over there on georgia/atlantic (one long block away from alabama av (J)..... They combined those two routes because they had Ralph av in common; the fact that direct service was lost east of st john's/ralph towards georgia/atlantic they didn't care about..... I wouldn't doubt the thought process was, make your way to the B12 (which then traveled down penn to liberty after serving ENY av) for that loss of service & shutup... Lol...

I mean, pay careful attention to how many riders on the current Q33 from the north disembark at 82nd for the (7), compared to how many stay on to 74th..... With that in mind, split that number up a bit - Think about the amt. of pax (coming from the airport) & (not coming from the airport) that are staying on to 74th.... For all intents & purposes, the latter is much lower than the former; The former (amt of pax) in this situation would be GONE once the Q70 starts up, leaving you with Q33 riders not coming from the airport that are riding to 74th, and those that would disembark at 82nd for the subway.....

You would be left with even less riders on the bus riding to 74th - and, these are the riders the MTA would tell (in so many words) to take the (7) to the QB lines, instead of staying on the Q33 to 74th for the QB lines..... Aside from having to schlepp (lol) from the 7 platform to the E/F/R/M platform, anyone taking the Q33 to 74th for the 47 or the 53 would also be screwed in this situation.... The amount of pax that make either of those xfer's (Q33 to Q53, or Q33 to Q47) I think the MTA would be willing to throw away for a possible 29/33 merge.....

In other words:

-of the Q33 riders that are not coming from the airport, most those folks get off at 82nd & less of em stay on to 74th

-of the Q33 riders that are coming from the airport, there are more people that stay on to 74th (compared to the amt. of riders that aren't coming from the airport)

.....and that very descrepancy will be noticed once the Q70 comes to fruition & catches on.....

I don't think a Q29/Q33 merge should happen, but I can see it happening - The waxing poetic of the Q70 (seeing how it'll run to BOTH 74th st & LIRR Woodside) & the bastardizing of the Q33 by merging it with the Q29 due south.... I don't see them keeping the upcoming Q33 as a standalone route to 74th (without it serving the airport) for too long.....

They're also gonna find themselves in a dilemma of terminating all those Q70's & Q53's at 61st-Woodside.....

Something's gonna have to give in that regard also.

For the "current northbound fiasco" for the Q11/21 he's talking about how poorly Northbound service is scheduled on the weekend - both routes only run every half hour, but the Q21 is scheduled to run 2 minutes behind the Q11. So if you're waiting at say, Jamaica Av, the schedule is Q11 at 11:45 AM, Q21 at 11:47, Q11 at 12:15 PM, Q21 at 12:17, and so on.

This is also scheduled to happen on Sundays with the Q21 and Q41, since both routes only run every half hour, and they both leave the terminal in Howard Beach at the exact same time. The B67 and B69 were scheduled similarly to this when the MTA first merged them. I'm guessing this is supposed to be a deterrent to ridership? I can't imagine who would think of this as best, and better than even 15-minute headways.

(Speaking of the B67 and B69, back in 2010 somebody on this forum was complaining about the poor scheduling and another poster's reply was basically "stop complaining and take the B63 if you don't like it". I can't believe somebody would defend such braindead scheduling.) 

For the "current northbound fiasco" for the Q11/21 he's talking about how poorly Northbound service is scheduled on the weekend - both routes only run every half hour, but the Q21 is scheduled to run 2 minutes behind the Q11. So if you're waiting at say, Jamaica Av, the schedule is Q11 at 11:45 AM, Q21 at 11:47, Q11 at 12:15 PM, Q21 at 12:17, and so on.

This is also scheduled to happen on Sundays with the Q21 and Q41, since both routes only run every half hour, and they both leave the terminal in Howard Beach at the exact same time. The B67 and B69 were scheduled similarly to this when the MTA first merged them. I'm guessing this is supposed to be a deterrent to ridership? I can't imagine who would think of this as best, and better than even 15-minute headways.

(Speaking of the B67 and B69, back in 2010 somebody on this forum was complaining about the poor scheduling and another poster's reply was basically "stop complaining and take the B63 if you don't like it". I can't believe somebody would defend such braindead scheduling.) 

Although it could very well be a way to deter ridership.... AFAIK, it's a way of balancing usage-per-bus on routes that are prone to delays..... In other words, that 2 min gap can easily become 5+ on a route that travels along a delay prone corridor that happens to get good usage..... What you're describing there is often done with LTD service, compared to its local counterpart.....

Lol @ the last comment... Not gonna get park slopers to walk from 5th to 7th (and points east) anyway... it involves a bit of a hike up a "slope" between 5th & 6th (especially)..... There is a bit of a divide as to the park slopers that utilize the B63 & the ones that use the B67; there is hardly any interchangable usage b/w the two routes.....

Why not extend Q33 to Greenpoint and eliminate the B24 in the process? With Q70 replacing the Sunnyside to Williamsburg segment.

Q33 should gaun a new ridership base with Greenpoint. And they can cut a weak line in the process.

Because getting creative means nothing when you're dealing with people's actual commutes.....

Lmao.... sweet.....

Instead of both of us posting links.... Let's make this easier...

Why not extend Q33 to Greenpoint and eliminate the B24 in the process? With Q70 replacing the Sunnyside to Williamsburg segment. Q33 should gaun a new ridership base with Greenpoint. And they can cut a weak line in the process.

Too long actually B48 extension is ok. Q33 is too slow to extend. Also I agree with MTA's proposed route and believe if frequent enough can have a branch absorb B24 south while the other goes to the Navy yard.

So what say you now, QJT? :lol: