Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

....Which is why I said what I did to QJT....

But I wouldn't suggest combining it or replacing it with other routes though/either - That is where I agree with MTA Bus (the member)...

I would keep the current 103 around for basic coverage....

I would say it is (faster).... That is actually one reason those folks up at the astoria houses bombard the Q18 to get to the N/Q (then to the 7 @ QBP if they so need it), over taking the 102 to N/Q over to the 7.... Don't really blame em either; resorting to taking the 18 over the 102.....

I'm more astounded that you remember that you haven't rode it in 4 years... Not missing much of anything though.

I haven't ridden it. Planning to, but if it's running the CNGs (hopefully a bit more time before Spring pick begins).

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

extend Q103 to astoria blvd (N)(Q) done more ridership will come about.

Why can't y'all leave the Q103 alone !!!!! It's fine the way it is. It doesn't need to replaced or combined with other routes. I would rather see a service increase on the Q103.

well it runs very infrequently and cuts off at around 6 pm and has low numbers.

The Q103 won't get any more ridership the way it is. It serves nothing of intrest, completely avoids Court Square, and has a host of other problems. This is why I suggested combining it with the Williamsburg-LIC route, and maybe extend it around Ditmars Blvd so there is a reliable connection between two neighborhoods that need a reliable connection.

Williamsburg-LIC will run only every half-hour, right? The Q103 runs every 20 minutes peak. Could work if you do the every 20 minutes thing. I always felt it simpler to just extend it from its southern terminus to Court Square or Queens Plaza.

I'm more astounded that you remember that you haven't rode it in 4 years... Not missing much of anything though.

Actually, I kind of had to take it. This was when it still came from College Pt not LGA. I was coming from this warehouse I worked at. I went to trip planner on my phone and I didn't have to wait too long for it. Took it to Queensbridge for the (F)

extend Q103 to astoria blvd (N)(Q) done more ridership will come about.

No, not done, It'll Parallel Every route running there if you do that. Just leave it alone. They need it for coverage.

Aside from paralleling or w/e....

IMO, it makes more sense to extend the Q19 to the Astoria projects (since it already serves Astoria blvd subway) over extending the Q103 to have it END at Astoria blvd subway..... Don't want buses ending anywhere around that area (it's also a reason that's a deterrent to even having M60's short turn at the (N)/(Q) station, running towards the airport)....

The Q19 running eastbound from the projects will pick up riders heading towards flushing regardless....

The Q103 running eastbound from the projects towards Astoria subway.... that usage will be questionable at best....

Williamsburg-LIC will run only every half-hour, right? The Q103 runs every 20 minutes peak. Could work if you do the every 20 minutes thing.

I always felt it simpler to just extend it from its southern terminus to Court Square or Queens Plaza.

That would make the Q103 rather circuitous..... Currently, anyone coming off the Q103 from the north that needs the (7) would simply disembark at vernon-jackson like they normally do... The only real hope of it garnering riders from that point on, is anyone coming from off the (E) or (M) that's tryna get to hunters point (the neighborhood).... Otherwise, those buses would carry air...

If you take a look at the Queens plaza bound B62 after it crosses the bridge, you'll notice there are very very few people boarding buses whilst in Queens.....

so that is a good reason to deny vernon blvd a connection to upper manhattan and LGA? LOL

Simply put, You're overestimating how many people really want access to the airport.

First off, is there really a demand for service from Vernon Blvd to LGA ?

Absolutely not.....

Residential Hunters point section of the route, they want direct access to manhattan.... They've been screaming about that for god knows how long.... Problem with that is, I don't see the MTA sending Q103's to manhattan with the (7) right there....

Actually, I kind of had to take it. This was when it still came from College Pt not LGA. I was coming from this warehouse I worked at. I went to trip planner on my phone and I didn't have to wait too long for it. Took it to Queensbridge for the (F)

How often did you do that when you worked in that area....

Was it an everyday thing, or did you just walk it out to the F from the warehouse on most occasions ?

....That would make the Q103 rather circuitous..... Currently, anyone coming off the Q103 from the north that needs the (7) would simply disembark at vernon-jackson like they normally do... SB Buses would carry air from that point on.....

Heading back in the other direction (from court sq), the only real hope of it garnering riders, is anyone coming from off the (E) or (M) that's tryna get to hunters point (the neighborhood).... Otherwise, it's a worthless extension in that direction after Vernon-Jackson subway

If you take a look at the Queens plaza bound B62 after it crosses the bridge, you'll notice there are very very few people boarding buses whilst in Queens.....

That post of mine should read, with everything added in red....

What about extending the 103 to Greenpoint? There wouldn't be a need for the 32.

Then there's the issue of the B62.....

See, [sending the Q103 to Greenpoint] & [the current Brooklyn bound B62] from Vernon-Jackson (7) will do the exact same thing from that point - Take w/e Brooklyn riders that are disembarking 7 trains at that station, into Brooklyn.... It would be overkill to have the B32, 62, and Q103 doing that.... take the B32 out of it, and it's still overkill IMO.... The B62 is really all that's needed for that task....

Q103's from the north are gonna get empty once it hits the (7) - Can't see anyone really from elsewhere northward along the 103 route riding to Greenpoint.... So basically, your riderbase from that point on will be anyone coming off the 7.... If the B62 picks those riders up first, you're gonna have empty buses running into Brooklyn... If an extended Q103 picks up those riders first on most occasions, great... I suppose you could argue increased service (well, somewhat, since the 103's headways aint that great anyway) from Greenpoint to the (7), but I think the B62 comes fairly frequently enough during the day to transport those same riders..... Hope that makes sense....

As for this B32 service... lol.... There's no need for it regardless...

It's basically a quicker, short turn B62 from WBP, northward....

How often did you do that when you worked in that area....

Was it an everyday thing, or did you just walk it out to the F from the warehouse on most occasions ?

I was only there like twice. First time, I took the (E) to 23 St-Ely (now Court Sq) and walked down 44 Dr. Second time I rode the (F) to Queensbridge and walked.

• 1 month later...

I figured i would propose extending the q33 bus to near by the hotels at 100th street and 23rd ave not using the proposed 94th street short turn terminal as the new terminal  they get a free metrocard transfer for those who use buses into the airport. so what do you guys think?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004dd51bdcf32600eae1

I figured i would propose extending the q33 bus to near by the hotels at 100th street and 23rd ave not using the proposed 94th street short turn terminal as the new terminal  they get a free metrocard transfer for those who use buses into the airport. so what do you guys think?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004dd51bdcf32600eae1

Exactly where I wanted to send the Q48 along (that segment of 23rd, to end over there w/ the Q69) - but this was before this whole Q33/Q70 thing.....

But now that they're set to taking the Q33 out of LGA, I don't see this as too bad idea (having the Q33 connect w/ the Q23).....

You can have the last passenger dropoff stop be at 101st/23rd (one block closer) instead, to minimize the walk to ditmars .... The hotels are along Ditmars.... The Q23 & the LGA bound Q48 are along Ditmars.... You could create a scenario that would have ppl. taking your extended 33 to the 48 inside LGA......

yeah your right,  and someone(if they are a member here i wont name you) commented on it saying they frowned upon my idea and they suggested the of merging the q32 and q33, lol didn't someone propose this and it was laughed into the obvlion?

Yeah, I saw that comment also..... Merging the Q32/Q33 is another one of those ideas that's been suggested by various people over the years on this & other transit boards.... As you put it, yes it's been laughed into oblivion (lol) by those that know how bad an idea that is....

....and rightfully so.

Exactly where I wanted to send the Q48 along (that segment of 23rd, to end over there w/ the Q69) - but this was before this whole Q33/Q70 thing.....

But now that they're set to taking the Q33 out of LGA, I don't see this as too bad idea (having the Q33 connect w/ the Q23).....

You can have the last passenger dropoff stop be at 101st/23rd (one block closer) instead, to minimize the walk to ditmars .... The hotels are along Ditmars.... The Q23 & the LGA bound Q48 are along Ditmars.... You could create a scenario that would have ppl. taking your extended 33 to the 48 inside LGA......

why not to con edison power plant for links to Q100 Q101 an Q69? via 82nd and 78th? Or Q23 doing that?

Yeah, I saw that comment also..... Merging the Q32/Q33 is another one of those ideas that's been suggested by various people over the years on this & other transit boards.... As you put it, yes it's been laughed into oblivion (lol) by those that know how bad an idea that is....

....and rightfully so.

Well It was one of those really really bad ideas. since one Q32 duplicates the subway so obviously that line is slow as hell.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Q30 Queensboro college trips extend to bay terrace the effect on Q31 based on that would determine it keeping it on utopia direct to bay terrace can become practical. Whether Q31 stays on utopia to 32nd ave to bay terrace can speed up potential trips with Q30 getting the Bell blvd riders of Q31. 

That would allow Q27 folks to gain a 2 seat ride to bay terrace or fort totten via Q30 extension this only applies to weekday Q30 short turns.

There is a big Jewish population in the Lawrence area and in cambria heights so an extension of the Q84 can be very useful to them like how their B110 helps link jewish areas in Brooklyn. Ok I need more info on jewish populations in nassau be right back meantime about the 5 Q111 trips that go beyond it's normal terminal anybody know demographics there.

Well It was one of those really really bad ideas.

Yeah, that's the point.

why not to con edison power plant for links to Q100 Q101 an Q69? via 82nd and 78th?

Or Q23 doing that?

Astoria residents have made it quite clear where they're generally tryna get to - and it sure as hell isn't jackson heights.

So what group of riders would benefit from sending 23's, 33's, or 48's over there along 20th av....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeah, that's the point.

Astoria residents have made it quite clear where they're generally tryna get to - and it sure as hell isn't jackson heights.

So what group of riders would benefit from sending 23's, 33's, or 48's over there along 20th av....

Is he really suggesting the Q23 or Q48 to go across to Astoria? (*sigh*)

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Yeah, that's the point.

I see well connectivity reasons it would ease travel to corona sort of.

Is he really suggesting the Q23 or Q48 to go across to Astoria? (*sigh*)

I don't know which route he was asking about either; That's why I listed all three routes to cover bases....

I see well connectivity reasons it would ease travel to corona sort of.

I assure you Astoria patrons aren't going to Corona.....

Can't see anyone getting off 69's, 100's, or 101's for service to Corona, in Astoria, via an extended 23 or 48 either.....

.....Does anyone know how that Q36 extension to Little Neck has been doing?

(I) Don't know....

I suppose Brett can give us the scoop on that....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeah, that's the point.

He would...

Well It was one of those really really bad ideas. since one Q32 duplicates the subway so obviously that line is slow as hell.

It sounds like you're saying that duplicating the subway somehow automatically makes the line slower, which doesn't mske any sense.

In any case, it's not too hard to see why a novice would want to combine the two routes. It would provide a direct connection from Midtown to LGA and reduce duplication between the Q32 & Q33 slightly. Not saying I agree with it, but I'm just saying thst's. why some people suggested it.