Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

This one is of a Q64 extension to Fresh Meadows...

https://maps.google....075317,0.154324

Interesting idea, but I'd tweak it a little...

- Route Path: Use 73 Av instead of Jewel east of 164th. (Jewel gets very narrow there.)

- Eastern Terminal: At 230th where the Q75 used to end.

- Peak hours, both directions: Some trips would still begin/end at 164th.

- Non-Peak: Every trip full length

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my two cents:

Q64 extension down Jewel and 73rd to Springfield, and Q88 reroute from 73rd onto the Horace Harding until Springfield. IMO Q88 should also be given a LTD route because it runs along the highway and there aren't that many places to cross over from a bus stop on the opposite side of the highway anyway.I would just send the Q64 to 230 St and keep the Q88 as is

Q12 extension down to Little Neck Parkway and Jericho Turnpike (the old Q79). The Q36 extension is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't really improve connectivity because pretty much every route it intersects with also goes to Jamaica, and connecting to Flushing from the outer ends of the 46 and 43 can be really annoying.I would just reactivate the Q79

A new orbital route (like the Q27, but limited-stop the entire time and longer) following the Q27, then turning onto 120th Av, Baisely Blvd and 150th St to Kennedy, because there aren't really any "crosstown" services in SE Queens and JFK's a major employment center.

Stops: All Q27LTD stops (except maybe QCC - I'm not sure if the extra patronage justifies going through that slow, out-of-the-way bus loop)

197th St & 120th Av

Farmers Blvd & 120th Av(Q3)

Merrick Blvd & Baisely Blvd(Q84, Q85, Q5)

Guy R Brewer Blvd & Baisely Blvd(Q111, Q113)

Rockaway Blvd & 150th St(Q6, Q7)

150th St & North/South Conduit Av

JFK Disagree. Route is too long and drawn out. I don't think there's a huge demand for Flushing-JFK service

Also, the Q58 and B54 and the Q24 and the B25 should be combined - I didn't realized how complicated a Brooklyn-Queens trip could be without Manhattan transfers until Sandy came Disagree. Those routes should be left alone. There is no huge demand for Jamaica-Downtown Brooklyn bus service or Flushing-Downtown Brooklyn service.

Plus, BusTime should probably come to Queens, and at the very least signal priority should be rolled out through the bus network. Bus time is coming to Queens

Replies in red

Well, there's some other high schools around Queens College (I know Townsend Harris is one, and there might be a couple more as part of a campus or something), so you might just get some schoolkids shifting to the Q64 over the Q88.

For the Q88, I was thinking to just shift it over to the HHE. I remember somebody (I think it was Brett) talking about how the Q30 can get crowded with schoolkids at times, so maybe that would help there. That's the only place I can think of.

Back when the MTA was proposing its service reductions (which was around the time I first joined), I felt the Q31 was an important route to save, since it basically traversed the whole northern part of the borough and provided a connection to Jamaica. So instead of eliminating weekend service on the Q31, I would've eliminated weekend service on the Q30, and rerouted the Q88 to basically run the length of the HHE within Queens. (So weekdays, you have the Q30 & Q88, while weekends, you just have the Q88). Then the Q31 covers Utopia Parkway, and the Q64 covers 73rd Avenue and goes to Queens Village (actually, I had it replacing the Braddock Avenue branch of the Q1, which I would've eliminated. Yeah, I know I was young and foolish back then. LOL).

Now, obviously this was just based on looking at a map, without getting a feel of what areas need to be connected and whatnot, and obviously, I wouldn't propose a plan like this nowadays, but maybe that can give an idea as to where else the Q88 could be rerouted to, besides the HHE.

For the traffic-prone comment, I figured that since the LIE itself gets backed up at times, sometimes the problems spill onto the service road, but I guess that doesn't happen too often.

Nah, it's not like (for example) the Gowanus over/above Hamilton av, where you have cars coming off the prospect at 4th av, utilizing hamilton av itself as a bypass to get to the BQE.... Of course not all, but drivers on the LIE generally stay on the LIE.....

As far as those townsend harris & john bowne kids, I don't really see them abandoning 88's for (extended) 64's.... Those kids that currently take 88's over there by those schools around 73rd, east of 188th would maybe benefit (more) from a 64 extension along 73rd.... I'm not sure if it's a private school or what, but I know I see kids w/ uniforms on, on 88's in that area (oakland gdns) around school let-out time.....

Yeah, the Q30 is more or less a school route.... I fell into the trap too of having Q88's pan along the span of HHE while running LTD service (meaning paralleling the Q30 to little neck plz.; which was an old idea mentioned up by a few people in the past), but then I started thinking/realizing more about the current/real Q88 and its ridership patterns....

As far as the Q31, I still think that route should be altered somehow.... But not sure, how....

As for a Q31 alteration, I had an idea to cut the Q31 and replace it with a route running from Fort Totten to Jamaica, using Bell Blvd the whole route, but I'm not sure if there is ridership in the areas which currently don't have service on Bell Blvd.

As for a Q31 alteration, I had an idea to cut the Q31 and replace it with a route running from Fort Totten to Jamaica, using Bell Blvd the whole route, but I'm not sure if there is ridership in the areas which currently don't have service on Bell Blvd.

I had an idea back on RD that involved a new route running from flushing to LIJ hospital, but this was around the time the Q79 was around... Now w/ that route discontinued, it might make a *little* more sense..... it used union tpke, LNP, HHE, francis lewis, and northern (via the 13) to flushing..... It was basically made in response to extending 12's down to Jamaica av to give LNP more service than what the 79 offered.....

To be honest, I don't think the 31 even needs to run along Bell... only ppl. that tend to use 31's north of northern are bayside HS kids & really, other folk along commercial bell blvd using it as a means to get to the 27..... So it would be for naught to have it run all the way up to fort totten (although having the route serve bay terrace shopping ctr, on paper at least, sounds like a noble idea)....

I just thought of something that might be beneficial (of course the MTA will never go for it).... I'll draw up a quick google map when I gets back....

Extend the Q18 to either Fresh Pond and Metropolitan Avenue or Myrtle Avenue Ridgewood Terminal

and put more service on the Q18 and possibly make it a bus route belonging to fresh pond depot

LGA makes the bus like crap and it don't always show up on time there was a few times I waited a hour and 30 minutes for it.

Q67 Should have slightly more frequency also.

I had an idea back on RD that involved a new route running from flushing to LIJ hospital, but this was around the time the Q79 was around... Now w/ that route discontinued, it might make a *little* more sense..... it used union tpke, LNP, HHE, francis lewis, and northern (via the 13) to flushing..... It was basically made in response to extending 12's down to Jamaica av to give LNP more service than what the 79 offered.....

To be honest, I don't think the 31 even needs to run along Bell... only ppl. that tend to use 31's north of northern are bayside HS kids & really, other folk along commercial bell blvd using it as a means to get to the 27..... So it would be for naught to have it run all the way up to fort totten (although having the route serve bay terrace shopping ctr, on paper at least, sounds like a noble idea)....

I just thought of something that might be beneficial (of course the MTA will never go for it).... I'll draw up a quick google map when I gets back... what is it I may have a clue sort of but then again I can't read minds.

In response to bold I actually was discussing such a route with a bus O/P on the QM5 My implementation was to recycle and use DH runs as revenue runs via flushing then express to LIJ then interline with well buses originating there working the bus hard.

Extend the Q18 to either Fresh Pond and Metropolitan Avenue or Myrtle Avenue Ridgewood Terminal

and put more service on the Q18 and possibly make it a bus route belonging to fresh pond depot

LGA makes the bus like crap and it don't always show up on time there was a few times I waited a hour and 30 minutes for it.

Q67 Should have slightly more frequency also.

1. The Q18 is MTABC while the Fresh Pond Routes are NYCT. No way you can send it to Fresh Pond.

2. Yes I agree, given the Q67 is one of my home routes.

Not sure whether this belongs in Brooklyn or Queens, but a stop should be added at Cross Bay Boulevard to the B15 to improve connectivity. There should also be an added stop on the overpass for the Q52 and Q53 (southbound only for connections to the Rockaways) and Q21 and Q41 (bidirectional) to improve connections, and to provide a connection up the Woodhaven Boulevard Corridor (I know the Q41 goes to Jamaica, but you can't have only the Q21 servicing the stop).

Edited by aemoreira81

Not sure whether this belongs in Brooklyn or Queens, but a stop should be added at Cross Bay Boulevard to the B15 to improve connectivity. There should also be an added stop on the overpass for the Q52 and Q53 (southbound only for connections to the Rockaways) and Q21 and Q41 (bidirectional) to improve connections, and to provide a connection up the Woodhaven Boulevard Corridor (I know the Q41 goes to Jamaica, but you can't have only the Q21 servicing the stop).

You'd have to reroute the B15, because when it's at Cross Bay Blvd, it's already on the highway.

I guess eastbound, you'd have to have it make a right on Cross Bay and then a left onto the entrance ramp, and westbound, you'd have it get off one exit early.

Sounds nice & everything, but I don't think that should actually happen.... The way the highway exit/entrances for cross bay are laid out over there doesn't make it feasible for that to happen; It's not like the x17 making the stop off in brooklyn; to where it can immediately dive back on the hwy after having served the stop...... B15 shouldn't be butchered up like that so that Queens folk coming off those aforementioned routes can be one xfer away to JFK....

I guess eastbound, you'd have to have it make a right on Cross Bay and then a left onto the entrance ramp, and westbound, you'd have it get off one exit early.

Lemme think about this.....

- JFK bound (meaning EB) from linden & from s. conduit, buses would take the cross bay exit (which is a major exit, and the light at that intersection is long as hell; that same stretch of roadway is where the Q21/41 uses to make a left to get back on cross bay NB).... on top of that, problem is buses would have to endure that traffic on cross bay SB (which is that right turn you're talking about) to get back on the belt.... I wouldn't expose the B15 to that....

- Bed-Stuy bound (meaning WB), buses would intersect cross bay (instead of actually using cross bay) on north conduit.... from cross bay, it would really parallel (meaning, the exact same routing) the BM5 back to Brooklyn like it illustrates on the bus map.... But you're right though, it couldn't continue on 17w (the linden blvd exit) like the B15 currently does because that runs under cross bay..... So (lmao), buses would have to pretty much stay on N conduit all the way from Lefferts.... there'd be no point in having buses dive on the belt from lefferts to 17n (which puts you off by the N conduit train station IIRC)....

Either way, not good for the B15.

you will piss folk off extend B14 to do that

B14 don't need to endure that no more than the B15 does (S conduit, to cross bay blvd)..... But I do think the 14 should be sent over to Rockaway blvd (A) (via the Q7), instead of redundantly ending at the mail facility....

^^ alright, cool....

As far as the Q31, I still think that route should be altered somehow.... But not sure, how....
I just thought of something that might be beneficial (of course the MTA will never go for it).... I'll draw up a quick google map when I gets back....

Q30/31 map....

No change to the Q30, I just felt like drawing it, since it's "coupled" with the 31...

I rethought some things w/ what I was gonna originally draw up b/c it probably wouldn't be worth it; Q13 & 28 got bay terrace on lock anyway....

^^ alright, cool....

Q30/31 map....

No change to the Q30, I just felt like drawing it, since it's "coupled" with the 31...

I rethought some things w/ what I was gonna originally draw up b/c it probably wouldn't be worth it; Q13 & 28 got bay terrace on lock anyway....

why will this Q31 reroute be needed I am curious?

Q30/31 map....

I like it. It doesn't do a "u shape" in Bayside. The only thing I would do is probably restore weekend service. Not too much though

Edited by Q43LTD

could've sworn I replied to the both of you; probably closed the tab before I hit post.... Anyway:

why will this Q31 reroute be needed I am curious?

Simple.

It gets riders to Northern Blvd much quicker.... Too much time unnecessarily spent on 47th/48th avenues....

I like it. It doesn't do a "u shape" in Bayside. The only thing I would do is probably restore weekend service. Not too much though

Yup, that's another problem w/ the route; way too indirect up there....

Agree with weekend service being added... Similar to that of the 76...

ohh why not just stay on utopia? but I get your point.

Although that would straighten the route even more, there's nothing on utopia of interest (it's all residential, plus utopia gets a bit narrower as you head towards the LIRR tracks).... There's a couple little businesses & schools along Francis Lewis north of northern, so you'll draw in more riders.... I think the Q31 would actually lose riders if it went straight up utopia, to 32nd av, etc......

Although that would straighten the route even more, there's nothing on utopia of interest (it's all residential, plus utopia gets a bit narrower as you head towards the LIRR tracks).... There's a couple little businesses & schools along Francis Lewis north of northern, so you'll draw in more riders.... I think the Q31 would actually lose riders if it went straight up utopia, to 32nd av, etc......

Then use utopia to station rd then frances lewis blvd to bay terr. Are you starting to know why I was suggesting Q31 to the bronx this is why not enough points of interest in queens alone BUT I see your point and understand both sides of the argument.

what about merging QM10 and 12 since 10 has low ridership then killing the 2 lowest used MTA BUS corp express lines. Add more QM6 less QM1s off-peak LTD rush use the Q46. But somehow QM6 may have high ridership but I saw most off-peaks with few people so that may be a way to get more revenue on QM6 even if it's a bit off. Fare collection I will elaborate queens bound it's straight forward easy to enforce express from manhattan $5.50 and $2.25 from queens within queens. A bus O/P mentioned how he unintentionally had farebox on local fare on QM5. But whatever works.

Then use utopia to station rd then frances lewis blvd to bay terr.

What would be the point when it could just stay on francis lewis between northern & 32nd av..... It would also serve as a backup to the Q76, which doesn't have the greatest of service.......

I mean, really.... Try venturing to the areas you're suggesting buses run along......

Utopia to station road? Seriously now.....