Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

I don't feel like quoting, so I'll do it like this:

- Threxx's reworking of Brooklyn's Brooklyn-Queens route would be faster than Brooklyn's original suggestion, but then the problem would be drawing in riders..... catch-22 basically......

I'm all for trying to improve connectivity b/w the 2 boroughs by way of surface transportation also, but I also think a little more thought has to be put in, in thinking up a route to try to draw in as many Brooklyn riders tryna get to Queens, and Queens riders tryna get to Brooklyn as you can, as well as doing so as quickly & efficient as possible.....

For starters, there's nothing around QB/69th where a Brooklynite would be itching to get to.... all the "action" (so to speak) along QB is well east of that point......

- TrainFanInfinity, While I still don't think your Q53x is necessary, I'll still throw in a suggestion....

If you're gonna have it serve both Court sq. & Queens plz, you may as well have WB buses stay on thomson to serve court sq first, to then go on to terminate in Queens plz. somewhere.... having buses utilize Queens plz. south (instead of Queens plz north) is more feasible, and having EB buses run along jackson b/w Queens plz & thomson is a little quicker (than that portion along Queens blvd b/w jackson & van dam)..... You can still have buses run along 23rd st or w/e....

- QJT, I thought about extending the Q18 southward in the past also, but it seems to me that riders are content w/ the Q18 ending over there off Grand st.... As far as Threxx's "Q51", I think it would accomplish enough for Queens riders.... There wouldn't be much of a point combining it with the Q64, since riders bombard that Q64 to get to/from kew gdns hills & electchester... Too many riders would get pissed off if that were to happen - remember, ever since the old 74 got eliminated, people have resorted to taking 64's to get to their destinations around that area as well.....

Interesting I underestimated Q64 I guess Q74's elimination made threxx's Q51 more feasible than it would have been if Q74 was still around which would have let Q64 extend but since Q64 is overworked Q51 is now basically a godsend rather than not needed well played threxx manipulating a defunct route to strengthen your own proposal nice I guess threxx will master it by his 20s at this rate. I was nowhere near that obsessed at 13. O well B35 good analysis. Once I finish some thought I shall get real

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that won't accomplish what we're trying to accomplish. As for the Q51/64, I wanted to combine the two routes, but Q64 riders wouldn't be happy about that...

The Q64 carries a lot of passengers for a small route. They have nearly 3 million riders a year, so you don't want to make any of those 3 million angry.

As a person familiar with the areas, I would submit my opinions on the routes:

Q51 - As much as this route is kinda like a "Jackie Robinson Parkway parallel route", it's not going to sit well for Forest Hillans, especially since it goes to East New York, as we know it, BULLET BULLET EAST NUUU YAWK.

Q53X - As much as this route is probably going to be like a revival for the good ol' days, I think that a Q53 Semi-Express or Super-Limited might do, but the Court Square Branch would be eliminated since it's redundant. The bus will run like all Q53's north of Queens Blvd. and in the Rockaways, however the only stops stopped at on Woodhaven/Cross Island will be: Metropolitan Ave., Jamaica Ave., Rockaway Blvd/Liberty Ave., N/S Conduit Ave.

Q45 - No need, unless if you seriously want to uselessly renumber the Q38, and cut it in half, with the other being the Q45E...

Q47A - No need, this route wouldn't gain much ridership since the bus is not the same as the taxi.

Q70 - No need, (L) -> (M) -> Duh! Plus, not much people will look forward to go to Jackson Heights, more will go to LIC, Flushing and the Rego Park Shopping Area.

Edited by KeystoneRegional

Q51 - As much as this route is kinda like a "Jackie Robinson Parkway parallel route", it's not going to sit well for Forest Hillans, especially since it goes to East New York, as we know it, BULLET BULLET EAST NUUU YAWK.

It's technically not ENY tho... and they already have the Q60 passing there which goes to south Jamaica, so what's the difference?

Q45 - No need, unless if you seriously want to uselessly renumber the Q38, and cut it in half, with the other being the Q45E...

I want to split the Q38, the other half would still be Q38...

It's technically not ENY tho... and they already have the Q60 passing there which goes to south Jamaica, so what's the difference?

I think East NY has a worse reputation than South Jamaica. Aside from that, the Q60's been around for a while, so there wouldn't be any point in protesting to have it split at Jamaica or something. (Well, I guess the Q6 pretty much covers that part of South Jamaica, so in that case, cutting it back to Jamaica)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I want to split the Q38, the other half would still be Q38...

1.) It is around there still, and Jamaica has a mixed reputation, on one side you have the Estates which scream premium, on the other side of Hillside, you have the LIRR, JFK Airtrain and a number of governmental buildings and some ghetto/-ish, so you can't really say it's a no-go, especially since the LIRR, (E) and (F) goes there too! While on the other hand, East New York has a horrible reputation and one worser than even Brownsville and the worst part of Harlem so I am pretty sure you'll see a lot of people in CB6 opposing this route.

2) That would be counter-productive since you have two routes that could share equiptment and interline when it is already doing what it supposed to do but in a unified route number. I don't see it a cost saving to the (MTA) in any way what-so-ever, sorry but it's true.

Interesting I underestimated Q64 I guess Q74's elimination made threxx's Q51 more feasible than it would have been if Q74 was still around which would have let Q64 extend but since Q64 is overworked Q51 is now basically a godsend rather than not needed well played threxx manipulating a defunct route to strengthen your own proposal nice I guess threxx will master it by his 20s at this rate. I was nowhere near that obsessed at 13. O well B35 good analysis. Once I finish some thought I shall get real

Q64 was "overworked" (as you put it) well before the 74 was canned..... The more service they put on that route (64), the more the usage increased....... You wouldn't think those areas on the opposite of the van wyck are dense, but they are...... and what's odd about it is, it's not really car country like that over there either - The one thing I'll say about those folks is that they use their buses (Q20, 44, 25/34, 64).....

....and they already have the Q60 passing there which goes to south Jamaica, so what's the difference?

The complaint will be that they don't want buses from "there" (meaning Brooklyn) venturing into the residential portions of their neighborhood..... the Q60 does no such thing; it's no problem to them since it stays on QB....

- that Q53x I already commented on & really have nothin more to say about it....

- the commentary behind w/e 45, 47a, and "70" you're talking about, I don't know what it entails.....

- As far as what you say here about the his "51", yeah that's a good point.... but from what I gather, there is a need for local service along Yellowstone.... Realistically however, they're not gonna run another route through forest hills (regardless of what areas it serves on w/e end).... so that's why they most likely had the 23 routed the way it is, instead of it staying on yellowstone, towards the forest view crescent apts......

I wonder what the history is behind/involving the Q23 route/routing......

Edited by B35 via Church

It is around there still, and Jamaica has a mixed reputation, on one side you have the Estates which scream premium, on the other side of Hillside, you have the LIRR, JFK Airtrain and a number of governmental buildings and some ghetto/-ish, so you can't really say it's a no-go, especially since the LIRR, (E) and (F) goes there too! While on the other hand, East New York has a horrible reputation and one worser than even Brownsville and the worst part of Harlem so I am pretty sure you'll see a lot of people in CB6 opposing this route.

It doesn't end in Jamaica, though. You have some short-turns that end there, but the full route is to South Jamaica.

Q74 revived and extended to flushing.

To Union Tpke

Q17/Q27 stop at Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue, then down main street, left on LIE, right on Kissena Blvd, right on Melbourne Avenue, left on Main Street, drift right onto Vleigh Place, right on Union Tpke, right on Queens Blvd

Q74 to Main Street:

Queens Blvd , left on Union Tpke, drift on Union Tpke, left on 141 street, stay on Vleigh, right on 75 Avenue, left on Main, and Bascially the opposite function of turning directions ontop

The Q25 and Q65 need more service on weekends. Waiting for the Q65 is a pain in the ass on any day of the week, and they're often crowded. There are times during weekend afternoons where the Jamaica-bound Q25 is so crowded along Kissena, that people need to lean on the front "dashboard" of the bus. We can say the same thing with the Jamaica-bound Q17, but the 17 simply never follows its schedule. Plus, that sidewalk from the HHE to Booth Mem. Ave. on 164th Street needs to be wider, although this is off-topic.

In addition, regarding the Q74, I still support my Q14 idea from long ago.

Q17- I've noticed that they bunch and don't get very full, I see them whenever I take the Q3/Q77, I think that line has a little too much service

Q26 - I always thought that it should go to QCC, as it seems that it doesn't even get that much riders on Hollis Ct. Blvd

Q46- I've only taken the route during the PM from LIJ to Union Tpke, so I can't comment. But i know that the route gets packed

Q77 - This idea is brung up a lot, but thank god I live in that area now so I can talk about it. Springfield Blvd becomes a very narrow 2 way street after 145 Rd. I'm going to tell you two reasons why it won't work.

1.) Not much ppl even ride the Q77 to 145 Rd as it is, it always becomes empty either at F Lewis/Springfield or Springfield/Merrick. I live near the last stop and whenever I take the Q77 during the PM rush, I'm always the only passenger when the bus gets to Merrick.

2.) No one coming off the Q77 at 145 Rd wants the Q111, everyone that gets off there, lives by 145th Av/Rd mostly...

There are school kids who may want the Q111 by IS 231 (over on Springfield/S Conduit) but little did I know, there are Q111 and Q85 school trippers heading to Jamaica and Rosedale, so that is covered..

A lot of ppl have come up w/this idea, but I never thought about it until I moved to Springfield Gardens myself..

Q83 - my friend says not many ppl are on near Springfield, so that could work. Whenever I take it, I either get off at Farmers/Murdock (for the Q3) or Murdock/F Lewis (for the Q77)

The Q51 looks great. It has promise since Ridgewood, Glendale, Bushwick and East New York could reach jobs and schools in Central/Eastern Queens.

I would like to see a route that runs between the Ridgewood Terminal and Jackson Heights to allow for access from North/Central Brooklyn to the jobs in Jackson Heights/Corona/LGA Airport.

I made an extension of the Q33 + A few other routes:

http://goo.gl/maps/zhPuQ

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

Q64 was "overworked" (as you put it) well before the 74 was canned..... The more service they put on that route (64), the more the usage increased....... You wouldn't think those areas on the opposite of the van wyck are dense, but they are...... and what's odd about it is, it's not really car country like that over there either - The one thing I'll say about those folks is that they use their buses (Q20, 44, 25/34, 64).....

The complaint will be that they don't want buses from "there" (meaning Brooklyn) venturing into the residential portions of their neighborhood..... the Q60 does no such thing; it's no problem to them since it stays on QB....

- that Q53x I already commented on & really have nothin more to say about it....

- the commentary behind w/e 45, 47a, and "70" you're talking about, I don't know what it entails.....

- As far as what you say here about the his "51", yeah that's a good point.... but from what I gather, there is a need for local service along Yellowstone.... Realistically however, they're not gonna run another route through forest hills (regardless of what areas it serves on w/e end).... so that's why they most likely had the 23 routed the way it is, instead of it staying on yellowstone, towards the forest view crescent apts......

Yeah I wondered why some Q23 buses went the routing it went. But I guess it would garnish more ridership along those streets than going straight on yellowstone, so this is why I think some Q23 buses should go down along yellowstone Blvd, preferably on rush hour periods the very least it should go down yellowstone 6-9 AM and from 4-7 PM weekdays. Outside those preiods it cant be done because the frequencies would just be too high for both branches, and the ridership just wouldnt meet the guide

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

The 45, 47A and 70 are all routes mentioned before my post by other users in their Google Maps thingies, you have to refer to those maps to understand better.

Yep for the 51, and I agree that there isn't a need for local bus service along Yellowstone, the area sees relatively low ridership considering that the Q23 as said is in place. As for the history, it seems like the Q23 is mainly a route serving and connecting residential areas to business centers, though you have to ask the guys at the Triboro to get all the details.

It doesn't end in Jamaica, though. You have some short-turns that end there, but the full route is to South Jamaica.

You can say the same for East New York, North East New York.

Yep for the 51, and I agree that there isn't a need for local bus service along Yellowstone, the area sees relatively low ridership considering that the Q23 as said is in place. As for the history, it seems like the Q23 is mainly a route serving and connecting residential areas to business centers, though you have to ask the guys at the Triboro to get all the details.

You can say the same for East New York, North East New York.

The point of the route along Yellowstone is for the connection to the subway at 71st Street, and I do agree that service isn't really necessary, but the route barely ventures into East New York (that's Bushwick you speak of) and I see more pros than cons for the route. This is one of the few routes I made that I would actually send to the MTA...

lolwut?

- visually, the only one of these routes I can get the gist of, is the 102....

Not sure why you think it should run down to hunters point (as opposed to what it currently does) ?

- the 103 there is one big mess in the greenpoint area.... it looks like you're combining [the greenpoint portion of the B24] & [an extended 103 into greenpoint]

- you gave up on drawing the 104 extension in brooklyn or somethin? lol....

- visually, the only one of these routes I can get the gist of, is the 102....

Not sure why you think it should run down to hunters point (as opposed to what it currently does) ?

I am doing it for science

or maybe the LIRR, either is viable

- the 103 there is one big mess in the greenpoint area.... it looks like you're combining [the greenpoint portion of the B24] & [an extended 103 into greenpoint]

yes, it is a mess

and that is what i am doing

- you gave up on drawing the 104 extension in brooklyn or somethin? lol....

oh... snap to roads turned off, derp

My replies in purple

I am doing it for science

or maybe the LIRR, either is viable

yes, it is a mess

and that is what i am doing

oh... snap to roads turned off, derp

My replies in purple

- What do you mean "doing it for science" ?

- Yeah, we see it's a mess......

In saying that, I was indirectly asking you what the 103's supposed to be doing in greenpoint.....

- lol....

- What do you mean "doing it for science" ?

- Yeah, we see it's a mess......

In saying that, I was indirectly asking you what the 103's supposed to be doing in greenpoint.....

- lol....

1. FOR SCIENCE!

2. I don't think the Q103 is capable of doing it's current job, so I wouldn't send it anywhere...

3. LOL

Alright, thanks..... this quote right here from that page tells me all I need to know about that flippant remark:

"When a scientist says he does something For Science!, what this usually means is he simply doesn't care about the answers to several important questions regarding his research"