Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

- The baby mama express (Q100) past Long Island City, forget about that...

- Q18 extension along 69th is another issue (although I would keep that right where it is on Grand st & alter the 67 north of grand st), because...

- There is demand for the Q67; problem is, its only really during peak hours..... The off peak usage it gets, is within industrial maspeth to/from the (7), and part of that's due to the Q39 not serving all of industrial maspeth (which I think it should, but w/e).....

With the Q88 coming from Queens Vill & all the riders it accumulates along HHE., I can't see having that route meander around LeFrak city as making much sense.... that alone would piss off too many riders, nevermind sending it to middle village....

HMM you peaked my interest don't many ppl go from the areas near Q100 to maspeth industrial? not just transit users but ppl in general? Do you understand traffic patterns in maspeth or have a clue where they come from driving and transitwise? I am curious cause many times I use BM5 I see a ton of cars come on from maspeth heading out east.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HMM you peaked my interest don't many ppl go from the areas near Q100 to maspeth industrial? not just transit users but ppl in general?

Do you understand traffic patterns in maspeth or have a clue where they come from driving and transitwise?

I am curious cause many times I use BM5 I see a ton of cars come on from maspeth heading out east.

The people that use the Q100 are mainly folks that don't want to put up w/ the slow Q69... and like I said, the baby mammas visitin ray ray an 'nem out in rikers...... There's nothing that suggests to me that riders that live in that area along/around 21st st are seeking maspeth in significant numbers, especially enough to extend the 100 (or any other route in the area) to industrial Maspeth.....

Traffic patterns in Maspeth....

Are you talking about on local streets, or traffic already on the LIE/service roads running through Maspeth ?

The people that use the Q100 are mainly folks that don't want to put up w/ the slow Q69... and like I said, the baby mammas visitin ray ray an 'nem out in rikers...... There's nothing that suggests to me that riders that live in that area along/around 21st st are seeking maspeth in significant numbers, especially enough to extend the 100 (or any other route in the area) to industrial Maspeth.....

Traffic patterns in Maspeth....

Are you talking about on local streets, or traffic already on the LIE/service roads running through Maspeth ?

In terms of traffic both LIE and local roads

Proposal

Short-Turn some Q53 buses at Jackson Heights, Roosevelt Avenue, and reorganize bays at the Bus Terminal

The Q53 operates between Woodside and Rockaway Park in Queens. Over the years, the bus route has had significant changes in ridership, in which ridership has boosted. Also, traffic conditions make the Q53 buses bunch in two along the Woodhaven Blvd Corridor. An ideal solution would be to terminate some buses at Jackson Heights, Inside the bus terminal. Buses to Woodside would instead stop at the current Q47 bus stop near the main entrance of the subway station.

The buses Inside the Jackson Heights termminal would be reconfigured.

Bay 1: Q33 To LaGuardia Airport/ Q49 some weekday buses to East Elmhurst

Bay2: Q49 to East Elmhurst/Q53 originating to Rockaway Park

Bay 3: Q47 to LaGuardia

Near Entrance

Q47 to Glendale/Q53 to Woodside

Opposite side of Broadway

Q53 from Woodside to Rockaway Park

This option would save money

Guest MTA Bus

Here's an idea:

During AM Rush Monday - Friday, select Q53 buses to Woodside will terminate at Woodhaven Blvd & Queens Blvd (like the Q29). Buses will then use the Q52 path to Hofmann Drive to go back to Rockaway Park.

Proposal

Short-Turn some Q53 buses at Jackson Heights, Roosevelt Avenue, and reorganize bays at the Bus Terminal

The Q53 operates between Woodside and Rockaway Park in Queens. Over the years, the bus route has had significant changes in ridership, in which ridership has boosted. Also, traffic conditions make the Q53 buses bunch in two along the Woodhaven Blvd Corridor. An ideal solution would be to terminate some buses at Jackson Heights, Inside the bus terminal. Buses to Woodside would instead stop at the current Q47 bus stop near the main entrance of the subway station.

The buses Inside the Jackson Heights termminal would be reconfigured.

Bay 1: Q33 To LaGuardia Airport/ Q49 some weekday buses to East Elmhurst

Bay2: Q49 to East Elmhurst/Q53 originating to Rockaway Park

Bay 3: Q47 to LaGuardia

Near Entrance

Q47 to Glendale/Q53 to Woodside

Opposite side of Broadway

Q53 from Woodside to Rockaway Park

This option would save money

hmm ok make it harder to get to woodside LIRR here is a Better idea leave Q53 alone why do you think Q52 was created? To do just that want short turns its called Q52 try it sometime while at it transfer to Q22 to go west.

hmm ok make it harder to get to woodside LIRR here is a Better idea leave Q53 alone why do you think Q52 was created? To do just that want short turns its called Q52 try it sometime while at it transfer to Q22 to go west.

QJ the Q52 wasn't made for short-turns. It was made to Allieviate crowding of the Q53 and for Arverne to have a limited stop service. While it looks like a shorty turn to you, it really is to alienate crowding. Second of all those are my home routes, and I have used both a lot. And third of all the reason I'm saying this is because if you read I said buses bunch by Roosevelt mostly in packs of three and four, and sometimes not even one of the buses have riders past Woodside. Same thing from Woodside to Jackson Heights its always bunched. TBH this is not gonna make getting to Woodside harder since if you knew ridership there, from Jackson Heigts to Woodside has the lowest ridership along the entire route, because most people get of at Roosevelt. The buses bunch as well, so if you we a 74 street short turn I can confirm you that it won't be longer than 10 minutes throughout the entire weekday before you still see a Woodside Bound bus. SMH on trying to use them both more often.

QJ the Q52 wasn't made for short-turns. It was made to Allieviate crowding of the Q53 and for Arverne to have a limited stop service. While it looks like a shorty turn to you, it really is to alienate crowding. Second of all those are my home routes, and I have used both a lot. And third of all the reason I'm saying this is because if you read I said buses bunch by Roosevelt mostly in packs of three and four, and sometimes not even one of the buses have riders past Woodside. Same thing from Woodside to Jackson Heights its always bunched. TBH this is not gonna make getting to Woodside harder since if you knew ridership there, from Jackson Heigts to Woodside has the lowest ridership along the entire route, because most people get of at Roosevelt. The buses bunch as well, so if you we a 74 street short turn I can confirm you that it won't be longer than 10 minutes throughout the entire weekday before you still see a Woodside Bound bus. SMH on trying to use them both more often.

MTA will do it eventually

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea....I was thinking about the lack of Brooklyn-Queens NORTH to SOUTH routes and I had an idea of making a semi-express route (like the B103) that would go from Roosevelt-Jackson Heights station to Broadway Junction (or to be ambitious, Starrett City and Gateway Mall.. It would parallel the B20, Q58 and Q18 routes.

If it goes from Gateway Mall to Jackson Heights, here would be the following stops:

Gateway Mall

Travels on Shore Road, turns right on Pennsylvania Av:

Pennsylvania Av/Seaview (Starrett City)

Pennsylvania Av/Flatlands Av (Starrett City)

Pennsylvania Av/Livonia Av (3)

Turns left on Broadway:

Broadway Junction (A)(C)(J)(L)

Broadway/Decatur st

Turns right on Decatur st:

Decatur st/ Either Wyckoff av or wilson av (or both)

myrtle av/61st

Turns left on Fresh Pond Rd:

Fresh pond road (M)

Fresh pond rd/metropolitan av

Fresh pond road/grand av

Turns right on Grand Av:

Grand Av/69th st

69th st/Calamus av

Roosevelt/Jackson Heights (E)(F)(M)(R)(7)

There would be no shortage of customers as workers from Gateway as well as ENY residents would love a quick ride to Bway Junction. Some who work in Queens would probably stay on that bus to Queens, shaving possibly as much as an hour off their commutes. Home Health Care workers would have a much easier commute, that's for sure.

The lack of useful North-South Brooklyn to Queens routes is mind-boggling.

I would also create a semi-express route to Queens Blvd that goes through Bed Stuy--It would terminate at Nostrand Av on the (A) and (C) and parallel the B44, B48 and Q59 routes and turn on 69th st and again terminate in Jackson Heights.

Criticism?

I have an idea....I was thinking about the lack of Brooklyn-Queens NORTH to SOUTH routes and I had an idea of making a semi-express route (like the B103) that would go from Roosevelt-Jackson Heights station to Broadway Junction (or to be ambitious, Starrett City and Gateway Mall.. It would parallel the B20, Q58 and Q18 routes.

If it goes from Gateway Mall to Jackson Heights, here would be the following stops:

Gateway Mall

Turns left on Broadway:

Broadway/Decatur st

myrtle av/61st

Fresh pond road (M)

Fresh pond road/grand av

Turns right on Grand Av:

Grand Av/69th st

69th st/Calamus av

There would be no shortage of customers as workers from Gateway as well as ENY residents would love a quick ride to Bway Junction. Some who work in Queens would probably stay on that bus to Queens, shaving possibly as much as an hour off their commutes. Home Health Care workers would have a much easier commute, that's for sure.

I would also create a semi-express route to Queens Blvd that goes through Bed Stuy--It would terminate at Nostrand Av on the (A) and (C) and parallel the B44, B48 and Q59 routes and turn on 69th st and again terminate in Jackson Heights.

Criticism?

Do you realize what you are proposing? https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c74f938a3d4ef2512&msa=0&ll=40.75558,-73.964081&spn=0.301157,0.615921

No one want's to travel between those areas on a bus, that's why there's no such route! That's why there is no North-South route from Brooklyn to Queens. There is no demand for it. If you want to speed up Penn Avenue service, just put LTD service on the B83 or the B20. There is no need for this route...

Gateway Mall

Turns left on Broadway:

Broadway/Decatur st

myrtle av/61st

Fresh pond road (M)

Fresh pond road/grand av

Turns right on Grand Av:

Grand Av/69th st

69th st/Calamus av

Criticism?

Criticism, Yes....

This is what I call a Super route.... It's a funky combination of the B83, 20, Q58, and the Q53.....

Outside of questioning demand, This is nothing like the B103 b/c anyone trying to get from ENY & Spring Creek to major areas around QB (or vice versa) is not gonna want to deal w/ the headache that is Fresh pond rd & Grand av in order to get to it...... What you're proposing w/ this route would be like having the 103 parallel the B41 from the junction to downtown brooklyn (instead of running along the prospect expwy & 3rd av to save time)....

As an alternative to the Q58, Q23, Q54, and Q55, I propose this new Q51 via Cooper Avenue:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c73badbed69b2babb&msa=0

The route would be relatively infrequent, but it would provide a much needed supplement to many routes in the Central Queens area.

For more info:

Screen%20shot%202012-08-15%20at%202.56.20%20PM.png

I proposed the new Q53X service. (An even bigger baby mama express!)

http://goo.gl/maps/rlP49

Operates between 23 Street / 45 Avenue & Rockaway Park-Beach 116 Street A S station, Queens

Via Queens Blvd, Woodhaven Blvd, Crossbay Blvd.

There's something called the Q53 to the (E) which is much faster...

As an alternative to the Q58, Q23, Q54, and Q55, I propose this new Q51 via Cooper Avenue:

https://maps.google....d69b2babb&msa=0

The route would be relatively infrequent, but it would provide a much needed supplement to many routes in the Central Queens area.

For more info:

Screen%20shot%202012-08-15%20at%202.56.20%20PM.png

Any comments?

There's something called the Q53 to the (E) which is much faster...

Any comments?

The Q51 looks great. It has promise since Ridgewood, Glendale, Bushwick and East New York could reach jobs and schools in Central/Eastern Queens.

I would like to see a route that runs between the Ridgewood Terminal and Jackson Heights to allow for access from North/Central Brooklyn to the jobs in Jackson Heights/Corona/LGA Airport.

The Q51 looks great. It has promise since Ridgewood, Glendale, Bushwick and East New York could reach jobs and schools in Central/Eastern Queens.

I would like to see a route that runs between the Ridgewood Terminal and Jackson Heights to allow for access from North/Central Brooklyn to the jobs in Jackson Heights/Corona/LGA Airport.

Nah, that route would probably have to use Fresh Pond Road, and that would be a nightmare...

EDIT: I came up with a Q47A, a branch of the Q47 to Ridgewood: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213458373195564989412.0004c7565397bc48fe6ae&msa=0&ll=40.747127,-73.900223&spn=0.075299,0.15398

Edited by Threxx

Do you realize what you are proposing? https://maps.google....301157,0.615921

No one want's to travel between those areas on a bus, that's why there's no such route! That's why there is no North-South route from Brooklyn to Queens. There is no demand for it. If you want to speed up Penn Avenue service, just put LTD service on the B83 or the B20. There is no need for this route...

I would really love the triboro rx, but since this is a bus thread, I proposed this route. To speed things up, it would make not to many stops.

And anyway, subway would probably actually be slower than this route. It is a ROYAL PAIN to get to the Queens BLVD line from Brooklyn unless you live along the (G).

Sure people want to travel from Northern Brooklyn to Queens--there is need.....People do it all the time, and it takes them FOREVER by subway because they will have to go through Manhattan for the most part.

The point was not just speeding up Pennsylvania Av service: it is to provide a link to areas like East NY, Bushwick, Ridgewood and Jackson Heights.

The Gateway mall extension was only a part of it. My original idea was for Bway Junction-Roosevelt Av service.

Just as a side note of your criticism: your proposed route looks almost like the one I proposed, but goes to Continental instead. So how would your criticisms of "There is no need for this route" and "No one want's to travel between those areas on a bus" work?

I am a little puzzled.....Can you clarify your objections please?

Edited by Brooklyn

I would really love the triboro rx, but since this is a bus thread, I proposed this route. To speed things up, it would make not to many stops.

And anyway, subway would probably actually be slower than this route. It is a ROYAL PAIN to get to the Queens BLVD line from Brooklyn unless you live along the (G).

Sure people want to travel from Northern Brooklyn to Queens--there is need.....People do it all the time, and it takes them FOREVER by subway because they will have to go through Manhattan for the most part.

The point was not just speeding up Pennsylvania Av service: it is to provide a link to areas like East NY, Bushwick, Ridgewood and Jackson Heights.

The Gateway mall extension was only a part of it. My original idea was for Bway Junction-Roosevelt Av service.

No it's not... B20 to the Q58. You're done. There's no need for this route...