Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure their new 40 footers will be either CNG or hybrid (or a combination of 'em, like 20 hybrid and the rest CNG, for example).

I'm betting it's New Flyer who's gonna build the new buses for NICE. Or NABI if they really, really wanna save money but I don't like NABI's buses except for their BRT. I'm 99% sure they will not buy international buses.

Even though it's likely NICE will buy 100% CNG buses given their fueling facility is fairly new and upgraded, I'm curious to know. Does New Flyer make a CNG hybrid? What bus manufacturers do?

New Flyer Industries at one point produced a CE40LF for San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. And the most recent model was a CNG/Electric Hybrid Eco Saver IV manufactured by Designline, which is emerging from bankruptcy.

Though in all honesty I'm under the impression such vehicles aren't ready for a large operation, mainly given that there hasn't been a large demand for them in the sector.

Well, the only ones *I* know (currently) making Hybrids in/for the USA (be that either on request or as an actual model) are:

-New Flyer

-Novabus

-NABI

-Van Hool

But as Turbo19 points out: there's not been a huge demand for Hybrid buses. Even here in Europe demand for actual hybrids is low.

Well, the only ones *I* know (currently) making Hybrids in/for the USA (be that either on request or as an actual model) are:

-New Flyer

-Novabus

-NABI

-Van Hool

But as Turbo19 points out: there's not been a huge demand for Hybrid buses. Even here in Europe demand for actual hybrids is low.

Mainly because hybrids suck lol... which is why the MTA is converting some of their OGs to diesel as we speak..

I'm actually really glad that the NICE/LIB buses are CNG

Not sure if anyone saw the Nassau Co. Exec debate on WCBS & WLNY yesterday but Suozzi looked like a deer in the headlights. Had several opportunities to address transportation issues when Mangano spoke of transit hubs, he could've said "hey Ed if you want transit friendly downtowns why are you not putting more money into NICE?" but he didn't. Suozzi blew it and lost my vote period. 

Not sure if anyone saw the Nassau Co. Exec debate on WCBS & WLNY yesterday but Suozzi looked like a deer in the headlights. Had several opportunities to address transportation issues when Mangano spoke of transit hubs, he could've said "hey Ed if you want transit friendly downtowns why are you not putting more money into NICE?" but he didn't. Suozzi blew it and lost my vote period. 

"Transit friendly" downtown's on Long Island are going to be focused on LIRR stations. 

"Transit friendly" downtown's on Long Island are going to be focused on LIRR stations. 

A downtown can't be transit friendly with piss poor bus service or bus routes to nowhere people are going. Most voters don't use buses since they are grossly incompetent. One doesn't have the time to take 3 buses to travel a short distance.

@qj: That can be solved with more funding. More funding can also lead to added routes for more direct service (as in: less transferring). And if they want service to other destinations then they should speak up, NICE actually listens to its commuters most of the time.

I took 15:15 n20 Hicksville #1703, which were suppose to be at Greenvale at 16:22, show up 8 minutes late 17:30, arrived Columbia Drive at 16:51, 6 minutes behind schedule.

I went for Jericho Whole Foods today for shopping errand.

After that, I went to n20 Flushing and there was one female elderly lady was waiting for bus at Columbia Drive when I got there 17:30. She missed 17:16 n20l LTD Flushing properly came around 17:20, and last 17:35 n20 Flushing, which was #1839 didn't showed up until 18:11, 29 minutes behind schedule from 17:42 scheduled time.

Female waited almost 2-hours and I waited for an hour, so I gave her copy of LongIslandBusRidersUnion Incident Report Form, and Report Card for NICE Bus on ADA.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I make use of the "contact us" link on NICE's site. If people have a problem, they need to send in those complaints or call the number.

You could also use this link also.

Long Island Bus Riders Union has 2 incident report forms.

Report an Incident

Have you recently experienced bad service and are looking for an organization to advocate on your behalf?  The Long Island Bus Riders' Union is happy to help. Please fill out an incident report form, and we will follow up with you accordingly.

NICE+bus+wheelchair.jpg

Experiencing a "Read Error" when you swipe your MetroCard aboard a NICE Bus? The Long Island Bus Riders' Union is collecting incident reports of "Read Error" prompts now. Please fill out a "Read Error" report form and we will follow up with you as well.

image.JPG

Exactly. Let her complain to NICE about a late bus because of road works in Flushing. Totally NICE's fault to do road works and therefore causing delays both ways.

Our 17:35 n20l Flushing #1839 caught up with one of n21 Flushing #1838 at Little Neck Parkway which was driven by male friend of mine who always address me as "Governor."

I meant for some people who lives near Whole Food by Jericho. There's one lady who was waiting on middle of raised maiden to see which n20 Flushing or n48/49 Hempstead/n20 Hicksville comes first during Saturday and she told me it was very hard for her to shop at Jericho Whole Foods on weekends.

That's why. n48/49 could turn around at parking lot.

Edit: Forgot to reply to this quote. 

Yes the N48/49 makes it much easier to go to Whole Foods.

I see Yuki is already spamming them with complaints... as if it's really NICE's fault that every bus is late because of traffic...

Yuki is spamming putting up long complaints across several tweets. Now he's complaing the bus stop signs are too high and don't have Braille. The LIBRU is spamming with ADA threats. 

What I want to know is, why as soon as NICE gets takes over, do these complaints and demands come out of the woodworks, meanwhile when the MTA was running LIB they get free passes. 

Edited by N6 Limited

@Yuki: Well, it's not like it's really NICE's fault for not taking things seriously on Facebook. Facebook is more of a news source for them. as enforced by Transdev (other Transdev companies also have that approach: Facebook for news, Twitter for complaints). The guys at Transdev enforced that approach late 2012 for (almost) all of their companies.