NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

That has nothing to do with demographics. The neighborhoods where the service was cut are still essentially the same demographically as they were before the cuts. Most of them were middle class and upper-middle class white neighborhoods (with a few exceptions of course), which is in contrast to the poor and working-class minority neighborhoods along the n40/41.

If you have middle-class white people who used to take the bus, and now they're driving or taking a taxi, they're still middle-class white people. Nothing changed about them demographically. The same way the n20 gets almost no ridership from the portion through Brookville (aside from the college students), because it's a wealthy, low-density area (and it's always been that way, regardless of whether NICE or LIB ran service through there)

Getting rid of a major route like the n40/41 may force a good chunk of those people to drive or take a taxi (or move out of the area altogether), but you're still going to have a large portion of the population who has no other choice. Maybe they'll walk a few miles to their destination. Maybe they'll stay at home and collect unemployment. Obviously, that's going on in certain parts of Eastern Nassau, but it would happen on too large a scale in this area.

Are you saying you disagree with posts made here like the one by BM5 talking about the change of demographics for example in the areas served by the n73/74 that contributed to the decrease in bus ridership over the years and eventually to the route's downfall?

Never knew the n40 was busier than famous n22/24

N40/41 together, and more profitable as well. It was that way under Long Island Bus too.

No amount of crack would make NICE even consider dropping the N40/41 pigs will fly before a very efficient route like that goes bye bye. It even makes a slight profit.

Pay attention there is a reason why NICE added service to the N40/41 and N43 under MTA N43 was much worse.

Correct. As long as NICE is around, the N40/41 aren't going anywhere. Obviously my comments here were misunderstood by some people.

By mid 2016 three bus routes 24/7

* n4, n6, n40

NICE may need more money to make the n40/41 24/7 or just one of the routes 24/7, but they could always move around resources again or decrease service on other routes, who knows...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying you disagree with posts made here like the one by BM5 talking about the change of demographics for example in the areas served by the n73/74 that contributed to the decrease in bus ridership over the years and eventually to the route's downfall.

A change in demographics over the course of how long? Like 40-50 years? And how high was ridership on the n73/74 back in the day? Were running 15 minute headways off-peak and still standing room-only?

Correct. As long as NICE is around, the N40/41 aren't going anywhere. Obviously my comments here were misunderstood by some people.

You're talking about what the MTA would do if they came back, taking over the Nassau-Queens routes and cutting the rest. I'm saying that if it got to the point where the MTA did come back, there would have to be additional routes besides just the Nassau-Queens routes. Remember that the MTA originally planned on cutting the N31 & N33.

Yeah, the Q12 to Great Neck, that's a short extension. The n6 from the City Line out to Hempstead is six miles out. The n22/24 from the City Line to the RFM is seven miles out. The n4 from the City Line to Freeport is almost nine miles out. If they're willing to go that far out of their jurisdiction, they're not going to cut a productive route just because they can't attach it to a Queens route.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Are you saying you disagree with posts made here like the one by BM5 talking about the change of demographics for example in the areas served by the n73/74 that contributed to the decrease in bus ridership over the years and eventually to the route's downfall?

N40/41 together, and more profitable as well. It was that way under Long Island Bus too.

NICE may need more money to make the n40/41 24/7 or just one of the routes 24/7, but they could always move around resources again or decrease service on other routes, who knows...

I noticed that the routes that got eliminated all required at least 2 transfers to get to the nearest major points of interest. N50, 73/74 required 2 transfers to get to the popular nassau hub area which means a very slow ride with transfer time added in. People in those areas do not have the patience to make multiple transfers to reach points of interest. Accessibility to crossways and other employment centers require round-about transfers in hicksville to a bus that is hourly!!! The routes failed and did not adapt nor went directly to any employment centers or reroute or change to meet changing travel patterns. They were nothing more than failed LIRR shuttles utterly useless. In fact the bases they served were so small they couldn't exist and had no business existing as standalone routes for so long after NICE took over.

I noticed that the routes that got eliminated all required at least 2 transfers to get to the nearest major points of interest. N50, 73/74 required 2 transfers to get to the popular nassau hub area which means a very slow ride with transfer time added in. People in those areas do not have the patience to make multiple transfers to reach points of interest. Accessibility to crossways and other employment centers require round-about transfers in hicksville to a bus that is hourly!!! The routes failed and did not adapt nor went directly to any employment centers or reroute or change to meet changing travel patterns. They were nothing more than failed LIRR shuttles utterly useless. In fact the bases they served were so small they couldn't exist and had no business existing as standalone routes for so long after NICE took over.

Yup, totally agree that the trip time was/is an issue with those routes and some existing ones.

Look LI residents aren't going to care about a cheap bus ride. Using SCT everyday is actually more expensive than the monthly metrocard. Plus the SCT service expansions were to keep up with increasing demand and improve connectivity. Plus LIRR service in suffolk county is garbage which helps explain the high ridership on the S40 combined with areas not near LIRR served by the S40 as well. Part of the transportation problems in suffolk is actually MTA's fault for arrogance and sub-par service outside the ronkonkoma line. Commuter rail in this country is a huge disaster.

SCT Service expansions are done due ti demand. Very few service expansions are done for connectivity. 

I don't see how the MTA is at fault for transportation problems that are caused because of congestion on the roads. 

1:10 pm Sunday, January 24th

New York City and Long Island received near record snow falls yesterday.  As a result, many roads are still dangerous or impassable as snow removal gets underway.  WE HAVE SUSPENDED SOME PM SERVICE BUT  ROUTES WILL BE REINSTATED AS ROAD CONDITIONS/TERMINAL CONDITIONS IMPROVE.  PLEASE NOTE, THESE ROUTES MAY BE DETOURED DUE TO ROAD CONDITIONS. CUSTOMERS SHOULD EXPECT SIGNIFICANT DELAYS IN SERVICE DUE TO ROAD CONDITIONS.  

Check back here for a list of routes that will be running.

n4 .....every 30 minutes

n6......evert 30 minutes

n19...every 60 minutes

ALTERED n20G/H ....every 30 mintues(buses will run from Flushing to Hicksville and only make stops on Northern Blvd.  Buses will NOT make stops in Great Neck, Roslyn or the colleges due to road condtions)

n22.....every 30 mintues

n24.....every 30 minutes

n32.....every 60 minutes

n33 ....every 30 minutes

n40/41..every 60 minutes

n43......every 60 minutes

n71/72 ....every 30 minutes

The n21, n23, n25, n27, n58 will be suspended today due to road conditions/terminal conditions.

Our Able Ride service has been suspended for Sunday and will resume Monday.  

MTA bus and subway service has restarted but will be limited and with possible detours, please check www.mta.info for details

Suffolk County Transit service is suspended for today and will resume Monday

Long Island Rail Road service is suspended for today and will resume Monday

For additional information visit NICEBUS.com or for up to the minute information follow us on Facebook and Twitter @thenicebus.

PLEASE NOTE:  Nassau Community College will be closed on Saturday/Sunday.  As a result, no buses will be servicing the college campus

The n4 is the only route operating on Sunday Service at this moment according to NICE. Apparently, most of the major transfer points on the county and at Roosevelt Field haven't been plowed yet.

https://www.facebook.com/theNICEbus/

I have to wonder how NYSDOT cleared the two-lane state highways on the north shore.  Or if any other than Sunrise and 135 are clear.

Yeah the BL 20 is a must for 24/7 service and BL 60 from New Rochelle to Fordham since this latter serves a busy Boston Road in the Bronx that has no bus service overnight hours (BX30 runs til 1230am)...also a BL 13 should arrive Port Chester at 11:40pm and depart 11:50pm to easy connection to the last CT-S 11 bus

BL 1 or 2 should be 24/7 since it serves a very busy and bronx like south west Yonkers and the BL 42 run as well ...headways on the BL 1 and 42 should be 45 minutes and 60 minutes respectively (that is only have a single bus unit running for these two bus lines)

But well all depends to Westchester county.

The silver lining is that very few relied on those routes.

They must of had some sort of purpose at one point because if not they would have been eliminated long ago. They said the same thing about the first cuts. I can see more cuts happening and it's ashamed how one of the wealthiest county can't provide enough money to support a decent transit system. Maybe if Nassau supported the bus system maybe ridership wouldn't be dropping thus causing routes to become prone to elimination. Suffolk gets less ridership but provides more for their transit system and I don't see their routes getting cut every 5 minutes.

They must of had some sort of purpose at one point because if not they would have been eliminated long ago. They said the same thing about the first cuts. I can see more cuts happening and it's ashamed how one of the wealthiest county can't provide enough money to support a decent transit system. Maybe if Nassau supported the bus system maybe ridership wouldn't be dropping thus causing routes to become prone to elimination. Suffolk gets less ridership but provides more for their transit system and I don't see their routes getting cut every 5 minutes.

The routes had some purpose, but they were overshadowed by other routes. For example, the n17's purpose was to serve Mercy Medical Center, but I've heard that many people have been taking the n16 to Molloy College to get to Mercy because the n16 is much more frequent than the n17. In the case of the n51, there's plenty of alternatives to NCC from Roosevelt Field like the n16, n35, n43, and n45.

Edited by NY1635

So how are those service cuts? I can see service one day being cut so much that there won't really be a transit system in Nassau besides the Queens to Nassau routes and some routes within Nassau like the N15, N27 and a few others

n20G and n20H split routes aren't faster at all. Some people force to wait 30 to 60 minutes because sometimes they miss connection.

n20G during weekday is mad house because it's getting more overcrowded.

The routes had some purpose, but they were overshadowed by other routes. For example, the n17's purpose was to serve Mercy Medical Center, but I've heard that many people have been taking the n16 to Molloy College to get to Mercy because the n16 is much more frequent than the n17. In the case of the n51, there's plenty of alternatives to NCC from Roosevelt Field like the n16, n35, n43, and n45.

According to Mercy Hospital's employees, no one used n17 because schedules weren't great.

Some Mercy Hospital had concern Molloy College didn't want people walking across the campus too much. I sent message to Molloy College via facebook and security told them there's no policy Mercy Hospital can walk across campus."

Molloy college should be considerate i mean the n17 is dead now by law mercy hospital people should walk through the campus. ..i mean have them make a HUGE loop is absurd and possibly dangerou. .is llike your heading to MetLife stadium and the NJT 164 won't stop at the entrance because it upholds traffic and one must disembark next stop (holiday inn hotel) which is almost 1km away

It's not that they can't. It's that they don't really want to because it's not an integral part of the county anymore as more people move to alternative modes of transportation and less people take the bus. Now, less than than 7% of Nassau's population takes the bus, and that's IF all the riders live in Nassau which isn't necessarily true. Suffolk has a much different setup in terms of a bus system and the people it serves than Nassau does. But like what's been mentioned here before, should Nassau drop the system eventually, there is always the MTA to come in and run some inter Queens-Nassau routes. That's the extreme idea really. Whatever was just cut wasn't real necessary anyway. I hear PinePowerLI takes the n20 for his joyrides now to some chinese place in Greenvale. By the way, the n20 split is a mess already. I wonder who called that happening?

Molloy college should be considerate i mean the n17 is dead now by law mercy hospital people should walk through the campus. ..i mean have them make a HUGE loop is absurd and possibly dangerou. .is llike your heading to MetLife stadium and the NJT 164 won't stop at the entrance because it upholds traffic and one must disembark next stop (holiday inn hotel) which is almost 1km away

Ain't so serious N17 had almost nobody deal with it. They could have a shuttle to the N16 or HTC but that's it. IBM does something similar in westchester with a shuttle for their workers every need can't be solved with NICE. In some cases others have to step up. Very few were impacted by those cuts as severe as they were but NICE didn't send them to useful places resulting in having to drop em.

It's not that they can't. It's that they don't really want to because it's not an integral part of the county anymore as more people move to alternative modes of transportation and less people take the bus. Now, less than than 7% of Nassau's population takes the bus, and that's IF all the riders live in Nassau which isn't necessarily true. Suffolk has a much different setup in terms of a bus system and the people it serves than Nassau does. But like what's been mentioned here before, should Nassau drop the system eventually, there is always the MTA to come in and run some inter Queens-Nassau routes. That's the extreme idea really. Whatever was just cut wasn't real necessary anyway. I hear PinePowerLI takes the n20 for his joyrides now to some chinese place in Greenvale. By the way, the n20 split is a mess already. I wonder who called that happening?

Almost all new route changes start off as a mess as people get used to the changes  with the nightmare traffic in queens people chancing it with  the N20G were bound to miss connections and the LIRR service is not frequent enough to act like a viable alternative outside off-peak hours when the N20G is on-time(sort of).

You have to pick your poison unreliable service east of great neck with huge gaps in service due to hold ups in queens where wait times can sometimes exceed an hour or drop the queens nightmare altogether improve consistency and reliability of east of great neck service but now people who choose to fight traffic with N20G risk missing their connection which means waiting for another 30 minutes.

The riders east of great neck benefit from consistent 30 minute service actually improved but at the expense of riders in queens travelling to points east of great neck. Do nothing and ridership east plummets or improve reliability but then force riders in queens to use LIRR when traffic is very bad  to have a shot at making their connections either way people lose and win. NICE decided to take a chance on the eastern portion of the route.

The n51 served other areas besides the Roosevelt Field-NCC corridor. Now the only alternative for certain parts of East Meadow, Merrick & North Merrick involves walking an extra distance and then backtracking to the n43.

n20G and n20H split routes aren't faster at all. Some people force to wait 30 to 60 minutes because sometimes they miss connection.

n20G during weekday is mad house because it's getting more overcrowded.

Sounds like they scheduled each N20 section independently of the other. It would have made more sense to interline them — i.e. a "G" trip arrives in Great Neck, lays over a few minutes, and then becomes an "H" trip or an N21 trip. Better yet, put back the original N20/N21 structure with added running time and/or a hold in Great Neck.

Sounds like they scheduled each N20 section independently of the other. It would have made more sense to interline them — i.e. a "G" trip arrives in Great Neck, lays over a few minutes, and then becomes an "H" trip or an N21 trip. Better yet, put back the original N20/N21 structure with added running time and/or a hold in Great Neck.

The problem with interlining is that if the bus is extremely late, it screws over all the passengers from Great Neck going east (which, there is a decent amount of turnover over there). I think passengers should be encouraged to transfer at Northern Blvd and/or use the LIRR to reach Great Neck.

Weekday 20:15 n20H from Hicksville to Great Neck does 9:20 n20G Flushing from Great Neck. Everyone on this trip was happy.