NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

But the Q12 alone can't handle the long lines at Great Neck, the people transferring from the n20H/n21, and regular riders in Queens. The route would get pretty packed before it even reaches Flushing.

LTD stop SBS service with artics probably can. Plus those transferring some may take the LIRR instead as well as Q12 SBS if that came into being.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If with the MTA, why would the MTA eliminate many of those routes. ..i mean the MTA has a lot of money. ..i get that the reductions suffered by NICE is because they're running solo w/o support of a more bigger authority. ..but why is it that with MTA is more worst. ..that im surprised

Take for example the s42 (S.I.) it is one of the lowest rided bus routes of the MTA still it is alive because it has support from other bus routes covering Staten island

At this point, the MTA considers the S42 a complementary route to the S52, since the S52 has essentially become the main route in that area. Running all S52's would be overkill on the entire line with the combined headway, not to mention a waste of resources. The S52 by itself can't support all the ridership, so that's where the S42 comes in. 

As for why the MTA would do worse, it's simple: The MTA has a higher operating cost per hour than NICE does, and with all the added pay needed, it'll break the bank, and the MTA would have to cut routes, this time going into the "moderate ridership" routes. MTA may gain a lot of money from riders, but the amount gain does not offset the costs in operating the trains and buses throughout the region at all. IIRC, fares only cover about a little more than half the MTA's operating expenses, the rest relies on local, state, and federal funding. Who's going to fund LIB if Nassau nor the state would be willing to pay extra money to maintain the system.

But the Q12 alone can't handle the long lines at Great Neck, the people transferring from the n20H/n21, and regular riders in Queens. The route would get pretty packed before it even reaches Flushing.

Yes, artics are an option because the buses would be busy. But there would also probably be a higher frequency during rush hours if the Q12 did it as opposed to how the n20 is run now.

LTD stop SBS service with artics probably can. Plus those transferring some may take the LIRR instead as well as Q12 SBS if that came into being.

If you think Northeast Queens and Northwest Nassau is going to approve an SBS bus lane or any type of service like that, I think you're crazy. Artics are a good idea, LTD stop service is a good idea, but there's no need to go as far as SBS. If you want SBS like service, take the LIRR Port Washington line to be honest. This concept of a Q12 to Great Neck hasn't been proven yet, it's still just an idea.

Nothing, it gets screwed because Nassau County is run by corrupt idiots.

I'd like to see a trial run of a Q12 LTD to Great Neck, and how it performs on several scales (reliability, scheduling, ridership, etc). A lot of people put down the idea, but if you think about it, a lot of the MTA's crazy plans have worked out in the past. Look at the new Q36 route. While yes that's all within Queens, but it's a good example because, due to that extension, ridership along Little Neck Pkwy increased. I'm not saying the MTA has to come in to run the entire Nassau bus system. But if it took over or merged with some of the Nassau-Queens routes, it may work out, and then we can scrap every other route since most people in the county don't want them anyway.

I would do a Q12X actually, between Flushing-Main Street and Great Neck, making all stops after Bell Blvd (essentially, no stops between Bell Blvd and the (7). This service would operate all day. There would also be a Q12 LTD, making all stops from the City Line to Bell, then limited stops to Flushing (which can be debated), while the local would just be the Sanford Avenue short-turns. During the late evening, and weekend periods, there would be a Q12 LTD to Great Neck (while the Q12 Local remains being the Sanford Avenue short-turns). There could be a different number for the Q12 LTD/X, like Q14 or something, since the Q12 Local would drastically change (and then the Q12 Local would operate to the City Line during overnight hours). All NICE would have to do is pay up the additional expenses per year for the increased service. During the rush hour, each service would operate every 12 minutes, while during the midday, the local and limited would each operate every 15 minutes. During the early evening ( up to 10 PM), the local would operate every 15 minutes, the limited every 15 minutes, and the X variant every 15 minutes. Afterward, local and limited service would operate each every 12 minutes, and then the local takes over at night to the City Line. Middays, the X Variant would operate every 30 minutes, the Local and Limited each run every 15 minutes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

If with the MTA, why would the MTA eliminate many of those routes. ..i mean the MTA has a lot of money. ..i get that the reductions suffered by NICE is because they're running solo w/o support of a more bigger authority. ..but why is it that with MTA is more worst. ..that im surprised

Take for example the s42 (S.I.) it is one of the lowest rided bus routes of the MTA still it is alive because it has support from other bus routes covering Staten island

Dude stop defending weak routes. Those SE nassau routes had short run-times and carried air if they pulled an MTA and had other Q36 like routes in nassau cover those routes in eastern nassau even partially ridership in those areas served by N73/74 & 80/81 would have been higher. S42 is a dead horse and needs to be a part of other lines already but it helps that it is very short that is the only thing keeping S42 alive. There was no support for those routes NICE dropped.

Nothing, it gets screwed because Nassau County is run by corrupt idiots.

I'd like to see a trial run of a Q12 LTD to Great Neck, and how it performs on several scales (reliability, scheduling, ridership, etc). A lot of people put down the idea, but if you think about it, a lot of the MTA's crazy plans have worked out in the past. Look at the new Q36 route. While yes that's all within Queens, but it's a good example because, due to that extension, ridership along Little Neck Pkwy increased. I'm not saying the MTA has to come in to run the entire Nassau bus system. But if it took over or merged with some of the Nassau-Queens routes, it may work out, and then we can scrap every other route since most people in the county don't want them anyway.

Interesting thing is NICE would gain alot by dropping flushing(sort of) only if done right. I am curious what other crazy plans worked out? I think Q36 little neck worked out since it had more transfer opportunities than the old Q79 Q27 ect and LIRR and N6. You think N1 can handle going to flushing via clearview  and northern by sacrificing jamacia and giving N6 and N6x artics.

Yes, artics are an option because the buses would be busy. But there would also probably be a higher frequency during rush hours if the Q12 did it as opposed to how the n20 is run now.

If you think Northeast Queens and Northwest Nassau is going to approve an SBS bus lane or any type of service like that, I think you're crazy. Artics are a good idea, LTD stop service is a good idea, but there's no need to go as far as SBS. If you want SBS like service, take the LIRR Port Washington line to be honest. This concept of a Q12 to Great Neck hasn't been proven yet, it's still just an idea.

SBS lanes don't have to cover the whole route. And I would love for the LIRR Port washington line to have frequent subway like service but fares between queens and nassau would have to drop to levels seen on the metro-north from bronx. And if capacity at penn is lacking then have the extra trains go to LIC hunters point and eventually GCT. And for peak skip stop service similar to the (J)(Z) to allow more frequent service. 

I would do a Q12X actually, between Flushing-Main Street and Great Neck, making all stops after Bell Blvd (essentially, no stops between Bell Blvd and the (7). This service would operate all day on weekdays. There would also be a Q12 LTD, making all stops from the City Line to Bell, then limited stops to Flushing (which can be debated), while the local would just be the Sanford Avenue short-turns. During the weekends, there would be a Q12 LTD to Great Neck (while the Q12 Local remains being the Sanford Avenue short-turns). There could be a different number for the Q12 LTD/X, like Q14 or something, since the Q12 Local would drastically change (and then the Q12 Local would operate to the City Line during overnight hours). All NICE would have to do is pay up the additional expenses per year for the increased service.

Huh that may actually work out well.

I would do a Q12X actually, between Flushing-Main Street and Great Neck, making all stops after Bell Blvd (essentially, no stops between Bell Blvd and the (7). This service would operate all day on weekdays. There would also be a Q12 LTD, making all stops from the City Line to Bell, then limited stops to Flushing (which can be debated), while the local would just be the Sanford Avenue short-turns. During the weekends, there would be a Q12 LTD to Great Neck (while the Q12 Local remains being the Sanford Avenue short-turns). There could be a different number for the Q12 LTD/X, like Q14 or something, since the Q12 Local would drastically change (and then the Q12 Local would operate to the City Line during overnight hours). All NICE would have to do is pay up the additional expenses per year for the increased service.

In theory, yes, that could work. Frankly, any of the ideas could work because there are just so many ridership patterns heading east out of Flushing. I like the idea of just a simple Q12 LTD stopping at all the major cross streets between Flushing and Great Neck instead of every current Q12 and n20 stop. I feel like more route numbers or lettering like what NICE has done will just confuse riders more.

Interesting thing is NICE would gain alot by dropping flushing(sort of) only if done right. I am curious what other crazy plans worked out? I think Q36 little neck worked out since it had more transfer opportunities than the old Q79 Q27 ect and LIRR and N6. You think N1 can handle going to flushing via clearview  and northern by sacrificing jamacia and giving N6 and N6x artics.

Absolutely, it was that connection to Jamaica and all those other transfer points along Hillside Ave that did it. If NICE were to get artics, which would mean they would have to redesign their whole interlining system most likely, I would definitely start them on the n6 locals. I don't see enough consistent ridership on the n6x to put them on there.

The S42 stayed around for the same reason the n47 did: To provide extra capacity along a relatively busy corridor (in the S42's case, it helps the S52 along Jersey Street & St. Marks Place, the same way the n47 helps the n48/49 along Front Street)

But if it took over or merged with some of the Nassau-Queens routes, it may work out, and then we can scrap every other route since most people in the county don't want them anyway.

You know what the most efficient route in the NICE system is? Hint: It's not the n6 (which is the busiest, but not the most efficient)

Give up? It's the n40/41. And those routes are very important to the people living in that Mineola-Hempstead-Freeport corridor. They actually get higher ridership than the n20/21 (even before the n20G came along), n22/22a/22x, n24, n31/32, and n33.

There's still some very busy routes even within Nassau County. The n15 is busy, the n70/71/72 are busy, etc

At this point, the MTA considers the S42 a complementary route to the S52, since the S52 has essentially become the main route in that area. Running all S52's would be overkill on the entire line with the combined headway, not to mention a waste of resources. The S52 by itself can't support all the ridership, so that's where the S42 comes in. 

As for why the MTA would do worse, it's simple: The MTA has a higher operating cost per hour than NICE does, and with all the added pay needed, it'll break the bank, and the MTA would have to cut routes, this time going into the "moderate ridership" routes. MTA may gain a lot of money from riders, but the amount gain does not offset the costs in operating the trains and buses throughout the region at all. IIRC, fares only cover about a little more than half the MTA's operating expenses, the rest relies on local, state, and federal funding. Who's going to fund LIB if Nassau nor the state would be willing to pay extra money to maintain the system.

The S42 was basically in place of running S52 short-turns to Stapleton (incorrectly labeled as going to Jersey & Castleton on the sign). For a similar amount of money, they could provide coverage to the area up the hill west of Jersey Street.

And yes, the MTA would likely do much worse. It all comes down to funding. With the proper amount of funding, both the MTA and Veolia could do a good job.

Dude stop defending weak routes. Those SE nassau routes had short run-times and carried air if they pulled an MTA and had other Q36 like routes in nassau cover those routes in eastern nassau even partially ridership in those areas served by N73/74 & 80/81 would have been higher. S42 is a dead horse and needs to be a part of other lines already but it helps that it is very short that is the only thing keeping S42 alive. There was no support for those routes NICE dropped.

You know nothing about the S42 or the areas it goes through or why it was kept. It is still busy relative to its length because it supplements the S52 in the areas near the ferry. The S42 used to have 2 buses meeting each ferry during the height of rush hour. Do you think that one S52 bus would be sufficient to handle the passenger loads of two S42 buses on top of the original S52 passengers? They were original going to run some S52 short-turns, but then decided they could at least provide rush hour & evening coverage to the Cottage Hill area (that area west of Jersey Street where the S42 terminates)

I agree that it needs to be modernized and restructured, but not because "it is very short that is the only thing keeping S42 alive" (and the S52 would still end up being left with some extra short-turns to handle the rush hour crowds).

Wow, protesting on the day after the cuts. That's smart.  :rolleyes:

You know what the most efficient route in the NICE system is? Hint: It's not the n6 (which is the busiest, but not the most efficient)

Give up? It's the n40/41. And those routes are very important to the people living in that Mineola-Hempstead-Freeport corridor. They actually get higher ridership than the n20/21 (even before the n20G came along), n22/22a/22x, n24, n31/32, and n33.

There's still some very busy routes even within Nassau County. The n15 is busy, the n70/71/72 are busy, etc

I didn't need your sarcastic hints, and frankly, I don't think the forum needs you telling people here that they don't know anything or looking down upon them. It's not like you know everything. Yes, I know about the 2011 MTA Ridership statistics released which is where you got that information from. The reason I made the comment that I did is that NICE ridership has been declining, and is going to continue to decline if the trend of funding/service keeps going. If it does in fact continue, come back in 5-10 years and I guarantee there will have been a shift in those ridership statistics.

Wow now i get it. ..but i thoughtt tthat MTA recauds lots of money as the. $2.75 fare ($1.35 if you ride two buses or connect between a bus or subway or vice versa) not to mention the millions of people who use MTA in the city. ..is by far the most richest transportation agency in north America (Mexico city doesn't count as it only handles its subway system and some feeder routes to the Metro as the city is filled with privately owned bus lines with no affiliation to the city funded subway) and lots of people fill the congested bus routes and subways (ex. Bx12, B46, M15 or the (4)(A))

Now as NICE is solo the state won't cover much as NICE receives by fare payments about 20% and the state funds the majority (80%) ...SCT is much worst guess about 10% of its money is receive by fare payments and a vast majority by the state (90%)

Counting a $2.50 fare from Orient Point all the way to Montauk (by way of the s92 and 10c) and a distance travelled. (Approx. 140 km or 87 miles) is considered the most cheapest bus ride in the United states (a typical metro north. Ride from grand central to Waterbury, CT. Is $14 dollars (these points are the same apart as Orient Point is to Montauk (via Riverhead) ...another comparison is a ride from Hauppauge East Hampton with a distance of 120 km and a fare of $2.50 (s62 then s92. the two most longest bus routes in Suffolk county and the northeast USA) is a true bargain compare to $20 from Penn Station to Riverhead which dist apart 123 km or 77 mi. (The same distance travelled on the s62 and s92)

I'd to compared the SCT bus routes because as you can see SCT buses run a super long distance and are super quick (5x faster than the MTA buses and 3x faster than neighbouring NICE) but receive very few passengers still the bus agency is alive thanks to the state's majority funds. ..so in conclusion a s40 extension to amityville or a s66 last trip at 750pm is decided by the state not SCT sadly thats the main reason why SCTbuses are the last to see cchanges then again its top superiors have done its best (s66 extension to Riverhead, last s58 to east Northport at 645pm or a last s92 from Orient Point at 640pm arriving Riverhead at 8:00pm)

To conclusion reviving the eliminated routes or truncation is a mere impossibility sadly. ..well all to just adapt

P.S: SCT just recently added Sunday service. ..something not seen from a metropolitan bus agency

I didn't need your sarcastic hints, and frankly, I don't think the forum needs you telling people here that they don't know anything or looking down upon them. It's not like you know everything. Yes, I know about the 2011 MTA Ridership statistics released which is where you got that information from. The reason I made the comment that I did is that NICE ridership has been declining, and is going to continue to decline if the trend of funding/service keeps going. If it does in fact continue, come back in 5-10 years and I guarantee there will have been a shift in those ridership statistics.

The n40/41 were still the 3rd busiest route in the county last year (2015). Ridership was down over 2,000 riders compared to 2011, but it still outranked the n22. (On a side note, n4 ridership actually went up compared to 2011).

The Hempstead-Freeport corridor is one of the poorest, most transit-dependent areas of Nassau County. Combine that with the connections to the three hubs along the route, and it's basically guaranteed that those routes will always have enough ridership to justify their existence. 

Also remember that at this point, the State is contributing around half of the operating costs, and the riders are contributing their share, so Nassau County will always have some form of bus service aside from the lines to Queens.

The n40/41 were still the 3rd busiest route in the county last year (2015). Ridership was down over 2,000 riders compared to 2011, but it still outranked the n22. (On a side note, n4 ridership actually went up compared to 2011).

It would be nice if you threw out your sources (still not a valid reason to insult or look down at people) when you stated numbers not shared before, but I wouldn't trust NICE's statistics with a grain of salt. They were unprofessional and inconsistent in their powerpoints, have confused the public on numerous occassions with their service changes and information, have more than likely hidden things from the general public, and have made some of the worst decisions in the changes they've made. Not only that, but many of their statistics just don't line up with what can be seen by actually taking and studying the routes (passengers, reliability, ridership, etc). Getting back to my original statement, if the Queens-Nassau routes were to be taken over by the MTA should Nassau drop it's bus system, there's a good chance they would sustain ridership better and probably survive longer given the difference in resources. If nobody wants to pay for Nassau's bus system, it won't matter whether the n40/41 did well or not. People will get a car or take a cab like many riders who used to take the bus are doing now. It's just how it is and the direction Nassau is moving in.

The Hempstead-Freeport corridor is one of the poorest, most transit-dependent areas of Nassau County. Combine that with the connections to the three hubs along the route, and it's basically guaranteed that those routes will always have enough ridership to justify their existence. 

Yes on everything before the comma, but no on the second part because demographics can change as we've clearly seen with the routes that just got cut, and the continuing decline in ridership will affect everyone! Choose your words carefully.

Also remember that at this point, the State is contributing around half of the operating costs, and the riders are contributing their share, so Nassau County will always have some form of bus service aside from the lines to Queens.

So what? Not like this hasn't been repeated a bunch of times on this forum anyway, but the state could easily drop funding decrementially over the next 5 years if Nassau keeps lowering their level of caring and focusing on other things. Again, like when you used the word "always" in the last sentence, you're exaggerating when things can easily change.

Edited by MTA Orion Bus

still the bus agency is alive thanks to the state's majority funds. ..

That's incorrect. Suffolk gets less state aid then Nassau, which has been documented many times over the years. SCT is alive because of Suffolk County and Suffolk County tax payers. 

Wow now i get it. ..but i thoughtt tthat MTA recauds lots of money as the. $2.75 fare ($1.35 if you ride two buses or connect between a bus or subway or vice versa) not to mention the millions of people who use MTA in the city. ..is by far the most richest transportation agency in north America (Mexico city doesn't count as it only handles its subway system and some feeder routes to the Metro as the city is filled with privately owned bus lines with no affiliation to the city funded subway) and lots of people fill the congested bus routes and subways (ex. Bx12, B46, M15 or the (4)(A))

MTA isn't the richest agency in North America, let alone it being rich at all. The costs by fares only covers about half the operating costs, and the rest is covered by local, state, and federal taxes.

‪#‎NICEALERT‬
ALL SERVICE TO BE SUSPENDED FOR SATURDAY STARTING AT NOON!!!!

Due to deteriorating road conditions, we are suspending ALL SERVICE for Saturday starting at noon. We will review road conditions this evening to make a decision about service for Sunday. Stay tuned here/Twitter and our website for updates

It would be nice if you threw out your sources (still not a valid reason to insult or look down at people) when you stated numbers not shared before, but I wouldn't trust NICE's statistics with a grain of salt. 

If you want to get butthurt over that comment and interpret it as "looking down" on people, that's your problem, not mine.

In any case, if you don't want to trust NICE's numbers, that's fine. I've posted about discrepancies in the MTA's numbers as well. But at the same time, we don't really have much else in terms of official numbers.

Yes on everything before the comma, but no on the second part because demographics can change as we've clearly seen with the routes that just got cut, and the continuing decline in ridership will affect everyone! Choose your words carefully.

That has nothing to do with demographics. The neighborhoods where the service was cut are still essentially the same demographically as they were before the cuts. Most of them were middle class and upper-middle class white neighborhoods (with a few exceptions of course), which is in contrast to the poor and working-class minority neighborhoods along the n40/41.

If you have middle-class white people who used to take the bus, and now they're driving or taking a taxi, they're still middle-class white people. Nothing changed about them demographically. The same way the n20 gets almost no ridership from the portion through Brookville (aside from the college students), because it's a wealthy, low-density area (and it's always been that way, regardless of whether NICE or LIB ran service through there)

Getting rid of a major route like the n40/41 may force a good chunk of those people to drive or take a taxi (or move out of the area altogether), but you're still going to have a large portion of the population who has no other choice. Maybe they'll walk a few miles to their destination. Maybe they'll stay at home and collect unemployment. Obviously, that's going on in certain parts of Eastern Nassau, but it would happen on too large a scale in this area.

Also remember that Title VI prohibits them from making service reductions that would disproportionately impact low-income or minority communities, which are both present in that corridor, especially relative to Nassau County overall. 

So what? Not like this hasn't been repeated a bunch of times on this forum anyway, but the state could easily drop funding decrementially over the next 5 years if Nassau keeps lowering their level of caring and focusing on other things. Again, like when you used the word "always" in the last sentence, you're exaggerating when things can easily change.

The county barely contributes to the service as-is. Let's not forget that the CEO of NICE has a direct interest in making sure the system receives more funding. If not NICE, then the MTA still has a direct interest in making sure the system is properly funded. The operating assistance might be reduced, but I would be willing to bet a solid amount of money that it's not going to be eliminated completely.

Now as NICE is solo the state won't cover much as NICE receives by fare payments about 20% and the state funds the majority (80%) ...SCT is much worst guess about 10% of its money is receive by fare payments and a vast majority by the state (90%)

Counting a $2.50 fare from Orient Point all the way to Montauk (by way of the s92 and 10c) and a distance travelled. (Approx. 140 km or 87 miles) is considered the most cheapest bus ride in the United states (a typical metro north. Ride from grand central to Waterbury, CT. Is $14 dollars (these points are the same apart as Orient Point is to Montauk (via Riverhead) ...another comparison is a ride from Hauppauge East Hampton with a distance of 120 km and a fare of $2.50 (s62 then s92. the two most longest bus routes in Suffolk county and the northeast USA) is a true bargain compare to $20 from Penn Station to Riverhead which dist apart 123 km or 77 mi. (The same distance travelled on the s62 and s92)

I'd to compared the SCT bus routes because as you can see SCT buses run a super long distance and are super quick (5x faster than the MTA buses and 3x faster than neighbouring NICE) but receive very few passengers still the bus agency is alive thanks to the state's majority funds. ..so in conclusion a s40 extension to amityville or a s66 last trip at 750pm is decided by the state not SCT sadly thats the main reason why SCTbuses are the last to see cchanges then again its top superiors have done its best (s66 extension to Riverhead, last s58 to east Northport at 645pm or a last s92 from Orient Point at 640pm arriving Riverhead at 8:00pm)

To conclusion reviving the eliminated routes or truncation is a mere impossibility sadly. ..well all to just adapt

P.S: SCT just recently added Sunday service. ..something not seen from a metropolitan bus agency

Look LI residents aren't going to care about a cheap bus ride. Using SCT everyday is actually more expensive than the monthly metrocard. Plus the SCT service expansions were to keep up with increasing demand and improve connectivity. Plus LIRR service in suffolk county is garbage which helps explain the high ridership on the S40 combined with areas not near LIRR served by the S40 as well. Part of the transportation problems in suffolk is actually MTA's fault for arrogance and sub-par service outside the ronkonkoma line. Commuter rail in this country is a huge disaster.

If you want to get butthurt over that comment and interpret it as "looking down" on people, that's your problem, not mine.

In any case, if you don't want to trust NICE's numbers, that's fine. I've posted about discrepancies in the MTA's numbers as well. But at the same time, we don't really have much else in terms of official numbers.

That has nothing to do with demographics. The neighborhoods where the service was cut are still essentially the same demographically as they were before the cuts. Most of them were middle class and upper-middle class white neighborhoods (with a few exceptions of course), which is in contrast to the poor and working-class minority neighborhoods along the n40/41.

If you have middle-class white people who used to take the bus, and now they're driving or taking a taxi, they're still middle-class white people. Nothing changed about them demographically. The same way the n20 gets almost no ridership from the portion through Brookville (aside from the college students), because it's a wealthy, low-density area (and it's always been that way, regardless of whether NICE or LIB ran service through there)

Getting rid of a major route like the n40/41 may force a good chunk of those people to drive or take a taxi (or move out of the area altogether), but you're still going to have a large portion of the population who has no other choice. Maybe they'll walk a few miles to their destination. Maybe they'll stay at home and collect unemployment. Obviously, that's going on in certain parts of Eastern Nassau, but it would happen on too large a scale in this area.

Also remember that Title VI prohibits them from making service reductions that would disproportionately impact low-income or minority communities, which are both present in that corridor, especially relative to Nassau County overall. 

The county barely contributes to the service as-is. Let's not forget that the CEO of NICE has a direct interest in making sure the system receives more funding. If not NICE, then the MTA still has a direct interest in making sure the system is properly funded. The operating assistance might be reduced, but I would be willing to bet a solid amount of money that it's not going to be eliminated completely.

No amount of crack would make NICE even consider dropping the N40/41 pigs will fly before a very efficient route like that goes bye bye. It even makes a slight profit.

Never knew the n40 was busier than famous n22/24

Pay attention there is a reason why NICE added service to the N40/41 and N43 under MTA N43 was much worse.

Youknow i realise that when last Saturday i made my farewell trip on the n20 and n19 (former full routes) when i took the LAST n19 from Babylon to Freeport and waited nearly an hour for a next n4 to Jamaica. ..i saw about 15 people boarding the n40 (possibly last run) to Mineola and i said in that moment how come a intra county bus can manage to receive many passengers. ..now i get noticed that it is one of the busiest routes in Nassau county. ..even busier than n22 n24 which have a heavy corridor and connect to a subway line in busy Jamaica. ..i know the n6 is the most heavily used NICE route but have to applaud the n40 not only to being a busy route but the most busiest NICE route that runs solely in Nassau county. ..if the ridership doesn't decrease and keeps on increasing it could in a near future become 24/7 and thus the first intra county bus route of NICE and the only bus route outside NYC to be a 24 hour service (NJT buses like the 62 or the 28 don't count in this discussion)

By mid 2016 three bus routes 24/7

* n4, n6, n40

Youknow i realise that when last Saturday i made my farewell trip on the n20 and n19 (former full routes) when i took the LAST n19 from Babylon to Freeport and waited nearly an hour for a next n4 to Jamaica. ..i saw about 15 people boarding the n40 (possibly last run) to Mineola and i said in that moment how come a intra county bus can manage to receive many passengers. ..now i get noticed that it is one of the busiest routes in Nassau county. ..even busier than n22 n24 which have a heavy corridor and connect to a subway line in busy Jamaica. ..i know the n6 is the most heavily used NICE route but have to applaud the n40 not only to being a busy route but the most busiest NICE route that runs solely in Nassau county. ..if the ridership doesn't decrease and keeps on increasing it could in a near future become 24/7 and thus the first intra county bus route of NICE and the only bus route outside NYC to be a 24 hour service (NJT buses like the 62 or the 28 don't count in this discussion)

By mid 2016 three bus routes 24/7

* n4, n6, n40

Ridership has decreased compared to the LIB days, but it's still holding its own. It's always been a busy route, but I can't see it getting overnight service, although I do believe it needs it.

Also remember that Westchester County also has some busy routes that could use overnight service (and it's even worse, since Metro-North doesn't run 24/7)