NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

Wait a sec: the n43 Disontinued between HTC and Roosevelt Field? Oh boy....

@Astoria Line: Yeah, of course they don't listen to community input. They only have those meetings on service changes and their Facebook page for marketing... [/sarcasm]

If those people aren't happy with the Westminster Rd stop being removed they should come to those meetings and speak up. It wouldn't be all that hard for NICE to keep it along with the new stop.

@Pinepower: Yeah, isolation is not really the problem. In Montauk you also live isolated far, far away from all the crowds and polltion and with only 5 LIRR trains a day but SCT does have normal bus service there Mon-Sun. The n27 could very well be restored to RFM.

@Yuki: Hand those signatures over to NICE on the next meeting.

When you combined the 10C and LIRR schedules from Montauk, you have hourly-tri hourly service there.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astoria Line: Yeah, of course they don't listen to community input. They only have those meetings on service changes and their Facebook page for marketing... [/sarcasm]

If those people aren't happy with the Westminster Rd stop being removed they should come to those meetings and speak up. It wouldn't be all that hard for NICE to keep it along with the new stop.

@Pinepower: Yeah, isolation is not really the problem. In Montauk you also live isolated far, far away from all the crowds and polltion and with only 5 LIRR trains a day but SCT does have normal bus service there Mon-Sun. The n27 could very well be restored to RFM.

@Yuki: Hand those signatures over to NICE on the next meeting.

I already did.

When you combined the 10C and LIRR schedules from Montauk, you have hourly-tri hourly service there.

what you expect it was duplicative and roundabout. @ joel so N51 and 45 don't go to where people need to where do most students come from? which parts of the county?

Which is more than Glen Cove if you count in the missed connections. Also, it's summer time so there's the S94 for additional service in Montauk.

Last I remember going to Nassau before graduating, a lot of people I met were either from Queens or from some extreme end of the county that has no transportation services and they drove anyway.  The best NICE can do is expand on the options students already have.

For whatever reason (ask Hound, he might know the historical routings better) the N45 and N51 only go through the former AFB grounds and getting from one end of the campus to the other is already a 5-10 minute walk, on top of most professors holding students until the last minute.  Not only will the 45 and 51 expand service, it can also make it easier for students to get off campus.  The afternoon rush will always be a problem, until NICE either reroutes the buses that take the front exit or somehow that stupid traffic light is resynced.

The one benefit of the 45 & 51 being rerouted to the parking field #3 stop is it should lessen the crowds that board at the student union stop, since they now have to walk over to there for the 45 & 51.

The one benefit of the 45 & 51 being rerouted to the parking field #3 stop is it should lessen the crowds that board at the student union stop, since they now have to walk over to there for the 45 & 51.

Also some students take whichever bus comes first to get to the Mall. If your class is by the clusters the stop by Endo Blvd is more convenient

• 3 weeks later...

Starting September 3rd, the n4xpress will be the fastest way to get between Freeport and Jamaica! Look for these interactive signs posted at all new n4xpress stops next week to learn more about this route.

Interesting mistruth by NICE...  I think maybe they meant the fastest way to get between Jamaica and Freeport [bY BUS]. lol

YY2zGKJ.jpg

A bus and a train both leave Freeport at 7:57am...  The train arrives in Jamaica 23 minutes later at :8:20 am, the bus arrives at 8:45am, 48 minutes after it left Freeport...  The train leaving Freeport at the same time as the bus arrived in Jamaica 25 minutes before the bus, but NICE says "the n4xpress will be the fastest way to get between Freeport and Jamaica!" lol

Edited by Burrstone

The fact that, they have the bus as the fastest way to get from Freeport to Jamaica as opposed to the LIRR.

I can imagine why one would think the text is a bit weird but at the end of the day, NICE is only providing bus service so in that regard they are totally right: the n4x is the fastest way by bus to reach Jamaica from Freeport.

I can imagine why one would think the text is a bit weird but at the end of the day, NICE is only providing bus service so in that regard they are totally right: the n4x is the fastest way by bus to reach Jamaica from Freeport.

I know that. I'm just a little bit puzzled why Central Av wasn't an express stop.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/28-more-nassau-bus-drivers-being-hired-1.5865303

28 more Nassau bus drivers being hired

Originally published: August 9, 2013 6:29 PM
Updated: August 9, 2013 9:26 PM
By ALFONSO A. CASTILLO  alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

Nassau County's bus operator plans to hire more than two dozen drivers in time for its planned increases in service next month.

Michael Setzer, chief executive operator of the Nassau Inter-County Express, said Friday that the company is looking to bring on 28 bus drivers over the next three weeks.

Setzer said the added drivers are needed to carry out NICE's biggest service enhancements in years, planned for Sept. 1. The upgrades include a new N4 Express line to ease congestion on a busy South Shore route, and more buses serving Nassau Community College, which NICE officials intend to transform into a "transit hub."

Setzer said the drivers' jobs, which have a starting salary of $18.56 an hour, "include a full range of benefits" including health care and retirement plans. Some of the openings are part-time positions, but Setzer said those workers could eventually move into full-time jobs.

"This is a good career job for someone who likes this kind of work and can bring a commercial drivers' license and a clean driving record," said Setzer, who noted that it's rare for that many drivers' jobs to open up at once.

NICE is also looking to hire additional maintenance workers, including mechanics, Setzer said.

In total, NICE will have added 79 workers since taking over the county bus system from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in January 2012. The company expects to have 857 drivers and maintenance workers on the job by September, and for the total workforce to soon top 1,000.

"Clearly, NICE is adding routes as well as growing jobs, which together strengthens our local economy," County Executive Edward Mangano said.

...and...

and more buses serving Nassau Community College, which NICE officials intend to transform into a "transit hub."

Holy shit, NICE took my idea.

They "plan" to hire more bus drivers and maintenance workers, but applications to NICE are still slow as the pay and benefits is questionable, despite these articles. 

How do you know applications are slow? 

Who knows if what they're saying is true.

This came from an interview with Setzer, what reason would he have to lie about the pay and benefits?  Seriously.

I could call and they could tell me "we only have part-time positions available." 

For all we know if you called and were told that all the full-time positions could have been filled, I mean we are only talking about 28 of them.

I mean really what would Newsday or NICE gain by lying about hiring 28 full-time drivers?  

Most B/Os are looking for full time with full pay and full benefits.

$18.56/hr (starting) plus benefits is above average for Long Island, and if not mistaken is above the starting wage at (MTA) LIB.