NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

Most people using the N27 are using it because it's more affordable, they have an unlimited card, and/or they are transferring to/from other bus routes, the LIRR isn't going to do anything but make it less convenient and more expensive. Just because two different forms of transit parallel each other doesn't mean they're fighting over the same riders. Also the LIRR stations are somewhat far apart compared to bus stops and buses run more frequently.

That's what I'm saying: At least the affordability aspect would be taken care of, because the LIRR would accept their transfers/unlimited cards.

I mean, think about it, NICE is forcing people to make a tight connection that often results in people being forced to wait a full hour for the next bus. Wouldn't it be preferable (as a customer) to have bihourly headways and have a reliable connection, versus hourly headways with an unreliable connection. It seems like the densest parts of the N27 are right by the LIRR, so I would assume most N27 riders do have the LIRR as an option.

For the record, I would very much prefer that they get back the direct service to the RFM, and the N21 service (and have the buses extended further within Glen Cove). But with the current circumstances, where they just have a little unreliable shuttle off-peak, it would probably be better for the passengers (and cheaper for NICE) to work out a deal with the LIRR to cross-honor transfers and unlimited passes. The N20 short-turns to Roslyn can be extended to connect with the LIRR at either Roslyn or Greenvale.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I'm saying: At least the affordability aspect would be taken care of, because the LIRR would accept their transfers/unlimited cards.

I mean, think about it, NICE is forcing people to make a tight connection that often results in people being forced to wait a full hour for the next bus. Wouldn't it be preferable (as a customer) to have bihourly headways and have a reliable connection, versus hourly headways with an unreliable connection. It seems like the densest parts of the N27 are right by the LIRR, so I would assume most N27 riders do have the LIRR as an option.

For the record, I would very much prefer that they get back the direct service to the RFM, and the N21 service (and have the buses extended further within Glen Cove). But with the current circumstances, where they just have a little unreliable shuttle off-peak, it would probably be better for the passengers (and cheaper for NICE) to work out a deal with the LIRR to cross-honor transfers and unlimited passes. The N20 short-turns to Roslyn can be extended to connect with the LIRR at either Roslyn or Greenvale.

On Sundays, the n20R should go to Glen Cove as n21 buses instead. Saturdays, its more difficult since this results in a 20/40 gap. My suggestion would be to make n20CW every hour and n20H service every hour (30 minutes combined) while the n21 would operate every hour as follows

Saturdays

To Flushing : 7AM-5 PM

To Glen Cove: 8:30 AM-6:30 PM

Sundays:

To Flushing: 7 AM-4 PM

To Glen Cove: 8:30 AM-5:30 PM

Today, I took 9:55 n20 CW Post #1747, which was new male driver departed 10 minutes behind schedule because he took his time at Flushing layover. Chinese female passenger was looking at old MTA LIB schedule N20/N21 bus.

New driver wasn't helpful to Chinese lady because she was asking where is Marshall and arrive Great Neck, late.

There was no new set of schedule when I asked n25, male senior driver getting ready to leave for Lynbrook, but no new n25 schedules.

No new schedules were available yet at Great Neck Station. Last Friday, I stopped by at hotel but hotel only had n26 schedule which was April issue.

I got on 10:25 n20 Hicksville, new one #1856, which was senior male driver. He was on time because of 9:55 n20 CW Post stole his passengers because new driver was taking time.

When we got hold by red light at NYIT Loop, #1747 was coming out from NIT and senior driver told me that driver was not suppose to go into Institute. Only weekdays, not weekend it stops outside the loop, and only goes in CW Post and SUNY.

He arrive Hicksville Station 2 minutes early.

I got 20 copies of new schedules and n20/n21, I got 30 copies. (My friend who takes n20/n21/n27 ask me do you have new schedules.

12:00 n22 Jamaica 3 minutes early, 1 minute late at RFM, 12:31 n15 Long Beach 2 minutes early, three minutes early at Rockville Cetre.

n4 and n32 bus were mostly ontime.

I give you all details in trip thread.

A report from Hound indicates that today was chaotic and NICE screwed up big time:

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=270478

Looks like NICE's schedule changes for Sunday started as a NICE mess. Seems the scheduling dept. made a mass f___ up, listing wrong times on driver's paddles that differed from what dispatch had. This caused dozens of runs to go out late or not at all, & AWOLS issued to drivers.

So which changes will be noticeable today? N15 basically?

N33 hourly service. On Christmas Eve I overheard a discussion between two women, one of whom missed the n33 by 5 minutes and had to wait 55min for the next one. When she explained to her that the n33 runs half hourly on weekENDS and hourly on weekDAYS, she seemed confused. But there was only one more day of half-hourly service to go! Clearly, NICE has been very, very low-key on these changes.

Edited by Amtrak7

I don't like use bad language but today's view.

Today, I took 15:57 n22x Jamaica on #1850 and n22x who had non-stop from RFM were pissed when male B/O made announcement "Mineola Station next".

They even said it doesn't make any sense n22x stopping at Mineola and New Hyde Park Rd, while n22l skipping RFM and Mineola.

Today, I took 15:57 n22x Jamaica on #1850 and n22x who had non-stop from RFM were pissed when male B/O made announcement "Mineola Station next".

They even said it doesn't make any sense n22x stopping at Mineola and New Hyde Park Rd, while n22l skipping RFM and Mineola.

Simple, make the 22L stop at Mineola and Make it stop at RF. The 22X can run its Pre December 2012 routing. The thing is though that 22L service to Jamaica has been discontinued, while everything else remains, which is retarded.

Simple, make the 22L stop at Mineola and Make it stop at RF. The 22X can run its Pre December 2012 routing. The thing is though that 22L service to Jamaica has been discontinued, while everything else remains, which is retarded.

Oh really, you think its simple? You go and try to convince NICE to change their plans and let's see if they do anything about it.

How was the ride to Jamaica otherwise? Didn't the N22x lose time at the left turn light from Glen Cove Road to Jericho Turnpike anyway?

Old Country Road usually moves well west of the Glen Cove Road, and it's the way it's routed to Marcus Ave prevents multiple unnecessary left turns that usually bogs the route down.

Having the N22L stop at Mineola defeats the original purpose, which was to bypass Mineola and the Mall to provide quicker trips (and squeeze in extra trips with less buses)

I think Wednesday, January 2nd will be the big test.

people still are away.....perhaps next week is a better test when things settle in. Dec 30 was a light bus load when i was on it.

sorry if its repeated, but this new schedule seems to be less service on the n20/n21