FASTRACK Subway Repair Discussion

6 Lexington Ave

Just finished up a project on A4 North of 125 a few months ago.

I think the only things worse then customers being on a train that gets taken OSS is the workers being on the same train.

What a muggy night it was on the tracks. Everything was so damp from years of moisture that just about everything had a slight ground. We were cleaning under the 3rd rail and the brooms and shovels were arcing against it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Queens Blvd Fastrack returns for the third time. This time (E)  (R) train run express between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Av in both directions while (M) service ends early. Shuttles buses make all bypass stops on the Queens Blvd Line.http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_EMR.htm

Edited by j express

Queens Blvd Fastrack returns for the third time. This time (E)  (R) train run express between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Av in both directions while (M) service ends early. Shuttles buses make all bypass stops on the Queens Blvd Line.http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/fastrack_EMR.htm

This is very different from the previous Queens Blvd Fastracks. They had been shutting down the 53rd st tubes and the express tracks as well. I guess they've finished their work on the tubes and the express tracks and just have work on the locals. Hopefully my station gets some love this time. 

This is very different from the previous Queens Blvd Fastracks. They had been shutting down the 53rd st tubes and the express tracks as well. I guess they've finished their work on the tubes and the express tracks and just have work on the locals. Hopefully my station gets some love this time. 

Interesting Fastrack, Almost like a G.O.

Depends on who you ask.

For RTO it may be with regards to how trains are re-routed.

For 3rd Rail and Track dept. it's not due to power still being on except for select portions of the track where a contractor may be working.

From a maintenance point of view it's dangerous. Years ago we all worked live and we learned how to do it safely and efficiently. That included changing out the 3rd Rail and 3rd rail side running rail.

A little over 5 years ago all work was to be performed on G.O. tracks with power off. At the same time lots of new Trackmen and Maintainers were hired.

Now that Fast Track is a "Power on G.o." the new guys are terrified and distracted while working.

• 2 weeks later...

It's running for customers coming from the (A) , who will walk right past the (7) to get to the (S) because it's EXPRESS to Grand Central......

If this is anything like the last Concourse Fast Track, no matter how many times I announce that 59 St (or 125 last time) will be our last stop and I announce every possible transfer to get to the (4) , when we arrive at 59 St everyone's gonna look at me like I'm crazy when I kick them off the train.

Edited by Snowblock

If the (A) and (D) were 160, I wonder what the signs would say. Does the 68 have a destination for Columbus Circle?

I know the A has an option for 59 St-Columbus Circle northbound on the 160s. I'm not sure about the D. And no, I don't know what the exterior signs would display.

That would only leave them with four to five hours per night to get anything done as opposed to the 52 hours they have on weekends. Work would take much longer to complete.