Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Did another DT last week on Wednesday and received the call for the medical on Friday. I report on Tuesday the 7th. Wish me luck guys! I can't believe this day has come. This forum has been a great blessing on keeping us up to date on info. Maybe I'll see a few of you guys tomorrow...Wish you all luck!

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did another DT last week on Wednesday and received the call for the medical on Friday. I report on Tuesday the 7th. Wish me luck guys! I can't believe this day has come. This forum has been a great blessing on keeping us up to date on info. Maybe I'll see a few of you guys tomorrow...Wish you all luck!

All the best. Have your doctor's info with you in case you need a note from your primary care physician for the doctors at the MAC. Make sure your 21 page booklet is filled out correctly and there are no paperwork issues. If you wear glasses or contacts, make sure your prescription is current before you go. Bring your lunch with you to the MAC (the medical takes the entire day...so bring a good book as well, might I recommend war and peace? haha...). Wait until your blood pressure has been taken before you eat lunch. Keep a list of medications you are taking with you as well, as you will be asked this on the questionnaire.

If you get through medical and post processing with no problems, and a class is being filled, you will receive your start date on Wednesday.

Getting through medical and post processing as fast as possible is the goal...your seniority will depend on it.

Edited by SubwayGuy

@SubwayGuy. I was told that if I wear contacts or glasses to bring both with me to processing. Thanks for the other tidbits in your post.

Yup that is correct. But it's important that the prescriptions be reasonably current, or else the vision test might be a bit of a challenge. After all you guys go through to get here, it'd be silly to get placed on medical hold pending getting an updated glasses/contacts prescription.

Edited by SubwayGuy

I heard that the December class is being canceled.

Is that true?

Are they instituting a hiring freeze for train operators?

Today was my first day in the yard and real official day of training, it was so much fun. I was talking to one of my TSS' about being extra-extra and getting an assigned route. They said that there would be around 140+ people under me on the seniority list and we would get placed relatively quickly. I assume for that to happen, they would have to hire for December also. But that is just a guest.   

Today was my first day in the yard and real official day of training, it was so much fun. I was talking to one of my TSS' about being extra-extra and getting an assigned route. They said that there would be around 140+ people under me on the seniority list and we would get placed relatively quickly. I assume for that to happen, they would have to hire for December also. But that is just a guest.   

Once you finish school car you will be looking at a year to a year and half of xxtra maybe less depending on retirement and promotions,  I  can tell you that the first 7 induction classes of A division Train operators from test 8098 were able to pick jobs last pick and most of us were xxtra for year or a little over it.  In the  B division is a bit slower than the A division though so it might take longer over there.

Don't worry about getting a picked run. It matters not how many are behind you, only how many are in front of you, when determining that sort of thing.

Focus on learning all the routes in your division - their nuances, where every home signal on each line is supposed to take you, and where else it can send you if service is  disrupted. Learn the stations and all the equipment, how it handles, and how to troubleshoot it...and gain as good a familiarity as you can get with all the yards and terminals. Once you have that down, is only the time you should worry about picking. Since by then you'll be close to it, and can ask someone to show you how the board works.

@ Race Harley, congrats on moving forward in the process. 

Could you clarify something, though, for those of us waiting for the letter telling us to go for the initial drug test?

Was the drug test on 9/30 a repeat drug test, because the initial one expired?

And what is your list range?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the initial steps, pre-school car, so I can anticipate when I might be called for testing and how long from that point to getting into a school car class.

I realize everything is rough estimates, and depends on rate of hiring, medical/background holds, etc.

I'll need to leave my current job and arrange childcare for school car, so as much advance notice as possible is ideal.

Thanks,

Matt

list # 37xx

Hey Matt,

I went in this morning to finish my final processing and was up and out of there before 1000am.

My list # is in the 2700 range.

Yes, my 2nd DT was because the 1st DT expired. 

Of course when they call you for final processing they tell you its a 10am appt but get there as soon as

they open because they start everything at around 7:30am. By 840am I got called for the paperwork

processing, then off for the picture for the ID and then the electronic fingerprinting. I was finished by

100am. I go for orientation in the October class.

Now the hard part will be giving my current job the 2-week notice. I like my current job but I couldn't

pass on a career with the MTA.

Hey Matt,

I went in this morning to finish my final processing and was up and out of there before 1000am.

My list # is in the 2700 range.

Yes, my 2nd DT was because the 1st DT expired. 

Of course when they call you for final processing they tell you its a 10am appt but get there as soon as

they open because they start everything at around 7:30am. By 840am I got called for the paperwork

processing, then off for the picture for the ID and then the electronic fingerprinting. I was finished by

100am. I go for orientation in the October class.

Now the hard part will be giving my current job the 2-week notice. I like my current job but I couldn't

pass on a career with the MTA.

Thank you for that gem. I go in tomorrow and plan on being ticket #100. I might go st8 from final processing and give my job my 2 week notice !

Pelham25 my list #302x. I completed my medical with no findings that would disqualify me. I need to return ASAP with previous work-ups and lab test from my private doctor pretty much stating that i am fit to do the job required, Depending on how fast I can turn this around, I might make it to October's class.

Pelham25 my list #302x. I completed my medical with no findings that would disqualify me. I need to return ASAP with previous work-ups and lab test from my private doctor pretty much stating that i am fit to do the job required, Depending on how fast I can turn this around, I might make it to October's class.

SAME EXACT THING!! My Dr. couldn't do it today so I gotta go back tomorrow .

Just curious, if you have "no medical holds" then why do you need previous work-ups and lab test from your private doctor?

When you go down for this medical don't these doctors take your blood?

They did the basic check ups...vision, hearing, BP, tested urine for sugar protein. Before all that was performed we had to do a questionnaire on the their PC on your medical history. It looks like they want paper work backing up my medical history and to make sure its accurate with what you are telling them. It may be for liability issues, but I'm sure they will find out everything  once an investigator is on board. The doctor actually reminded me of some things from when I was a kid that I honestly forgot about. They are pretty thorough with their questions.

If you answer yes to any of the questions that could indicate a long term health issue, they will ask you if it's a problem, and ultimately, you will be required to get a note from your doctor stating that you are fit work as a train operator.

IE answering yes to "have you ever been an emergency room patient" does not trigger this process. But answering yes to something along the lines of "have you ever had a heart attack" certainly would.

If you can't get the note from your doctor that day, then you will be placed on medical hold until such time as you can produce it. While you are on medical hold, classes will continue to be filled. You cannot be placed in a class until you clear the medical hold and go through final processing and swearing in.

I was just talking to an older t/o in the crew room who said that nobody's really retiring because they can't afford to, and with all these classes there's like 100 people on the board every day doing nothing. But common wisdom on here says t/o's are leaving in droves and we're so short down here. So which is it???