Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'm trying to say is that a bunch of people thought the stuck (F) would not block 6th AND 8th Av service, but the nycsubway.org diagram shows that it would.

The diagram shows that no matter what, there would still be at least one path for trains to go through. Sure, it may block both regular (C)(E) and regular (F)(M) service, but it's not like no uptown local trains can move through the junction.

The diagram shows that no matter what, there would still be at least one path for trains to go through. Sure, it may block both regular (C)(E) and regular (F)(M) service, but it's not like no uptown local trains can move through the junction.

Okay, that makes sense.

NEXT: W 8 St-NY Aquarium Station collapses. No (F) or (Q) trains can pass by. Try to solve this without suspending the (B), as the NIS (B) trains would have to be put somewhere.

(B) No trains between Kings Highway and Brighton Beach.

(Q) No trains between Brighton Beach and Coney Island.

(F) No trains between Av X and Coney Island.

NEXT

Because of low-quality construction, South Ferry station floods. This affects both the new station and the loops.

Affected: (1)(5)(R)

NEXT

Because of low-quality construction, South Ferry station floods. This affects both the new station and the loops.

Oh, gee... :rolleyes:.

Interesting challenge, though:

(1) downtown trains terminate at 34 St-Penn Station. Because of capacity constraints, some trains leave service and go to 137 St Yard

(5) runs normally to Flatbush Av

(R) most trains run via Manhattan Bridge, some Manhattan bound trains terminate at Court St

Guest Lance

(1) 242 St to 14 St (express btwn 34 St & 14 St during the day); shuttle buses replace trains btwn Chambers St and South Ferry

(2)/ (3) local btwn 34 St-Penn Station and Chambers St

(5) Dyre Avenue to Brooklyn Bridge on weekends (weekday, overnight service unaffected)

(R) via Bridge in both directions (some trains terminate at Canal St s/b and Court St n/b to avoid having too many trains on the bridge); use (4) trains for nearby stops

(1) 242 St to 14 St (express btwn 34 St & 14 St during the day); shuttle buses replace trains btwn Chambers St and South Ferry

(2)/ (3) local btwn 34 St-Penn Station and Chambers St

(5) Dyre Avenue to Brooklyn Bridge on weekends (weekday, overnight service unaffected)

(R) via Bridge in both directions (some trains terminate at Canal St s/b and Court St n/b to avoid having too many trains on the bridge); use (4) trains for nearby stops

Are you sure that the single track at 14 St can handle all of the (1) service?

BTW, I meant to run the (2)(3) local between 34 St-Penn Station and Chambers St.

The (1)(2)(3) together is around 40 tph. Terminating the (1) in Manhattan won't work, since the three lines will have to cross somewhere.

Since this is a long-term service change, here's what I'd do:

(1) to New Lots Av

(2) local south of 42 St

(3) terminates at 14 St

(5) terminates at Brooklyn Bridge instead of Bowling Green weekends

(Q) Runs local on Broadway to avoid switching

(R) Runs via the bridge. If the (N)(Q)(R) fit into the 60 St tunnel, they can fit onto the bridge.

Edited by NX Express

NEXT: W 8 St-NY Aquarium Station collapses. No (F) or (Q) trains can pass by. Try to solve this without suspending the (B), as the NIS (B) trains would have to be put somewhere.

(F) to Avenue X or Neptune Av

(B)(Q) to Brighton Beach

B68 provides alternate service

NEXT

(1) to Rector St

(4) to New Lots Av

(5) to Flatbush Av

(R) via the Bridge

(S) Canal St to Rector St

Edited by trainguy97

Even simpler than that NX. Remember when Coney Island was being re-built? The only catch is that both the (D) and the (N) can go to it.

(F) to Neptune/Van Sicklen Av

(B)(Q) to Ocean Parkway

B68 provides alternate service

How would the (B)(Q) turn around? What about the (F)?

(1) to Rector St

(4) to New Lots Av

(R) via the Bridge

(S) Canal St to Rector St

How would the (1) turn around? How would New Lots handle the (3)(5) (I assume you mean 5, not 4)? And what would a shuttle accomplish? Passengers can take the 4/5 and transfer at 14th or Atlantic.

Edited by NX Express

How would the (B)(Q) turn around? What about the (F)?

Ok, I revised it some more, (F) trains will go to Av X, some trains skip Av U. Ok, both the (B)(Q) turn at Brighton Beach. And yes they can, I remember when the (Q)<Q> did it.

How would the (1) turn around? How would New Lots handle the (3)(5) (I assume you mean 5, not 4)? And what would a shuttle accomplish? Passengers can take the 4/5 and transfer at 14th or Atlantic.

The (1) turns at the track south of Rector St, and the (4) would be extended to New Lots Av. I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with the normal track, just the loop at Bowling Green. Sure the (4) could turn at Utica, fine by me. (5) service to Brooklyn.

I don't see why people are suggesting the (5) to New Lots or Brooklyn Bridge; it can just go to Flatbush as usual.

I made this unclear, but thank-you.

Edited by trainguy97

The single switch south of Rector St would not be enough to handle 20tph (1) service.

And I suggested Brooklyn Bridge as that's cheaper for the MTA then sending the (5) all the way to Flatbush Av.

Usually emergency service changes are not designed to save the MTA cash; I think it's good to keep the (5) route as normal as possible by sending it to its normal terminal, Flatbush Av.

You're right.

NEXT

The MTA decides to rebuild its worst stations from scratch. As a result, South Ferry (1)(R), Chambers St (J)(Z), and 21 St (G) are closed. Note that the SF loop can be used (not the loop station, but the tracks).

Edited by NX Express

NEXT

By the (5) train being affected, I assume you mean that it can't use the inner loop at the South Ferry station, and that the Bowling Green station is unaffected? (because you didn't mention the (4))

(1) terminates at Rector Street

(5) terminates at Bowling Green by switching to the uptown track using the switches directly north of the station. Since (5) trains only terminate at Bowling Green in the evening and on weekends there will be minimal delays. (Didn't they used to terminate like this? I remember many years ago seeing a (5) train pull into Bowling Green the wrong way on the uptown platform)

(R) via the bridge

By the (5) train being affected, I assume you mean that it can't use the inner loop at the South Ferry station, and that the Bowling Green station is unaffected? (because you didn't mention the (4))

(1) terminates at Rector Street

Yes, I meant the inner loop.

As I said above, Rector St's single switch can't handle the 20 tph of the (1).

(M) shuttle runs between Myrtle Av and Metropolitan Av

(M) other section runs between Forest Hills-71 Av and 2 Av

(J) Jamaica Center-Essex St

Why would you break the (M)? The (J) can terminate at Essex without obstructing the (M).

Edited by NX Express

You're right.

NEXT

The MTA decides to rebuild its worst stations from scratch. As a result, South Ferry (1)(R), Chambers St (J)(Z), and 21 St (G) are closed. Note that the SF loop can be used (not the loop station, but the tracks).

(1) runs to New Lots Av

(2) runs local below Times Sq-42 St

(3) terminates at 14 St

(R) runs via Manhattan Bridge, with some trains terminating at Court St

(J) terminates at Essex St

(Z) suspended

(G) terminates at Greenpoint Av

(4) runs local between 14 St-Union Sq and Brooklyn Bridge to provide transfer to (F) at Bleecker St; then transfer to (J) at Delancey/Essex Sts

(4)(6) service runs less frequently

Lower Manhattan (J)(Z) customers can also take (A)(C) to W 4 St to transfer to (F)

Edited by TheSubwayStation

Because of low-quality construction, South Ferry station floods. This affects both the new station and the loops.Affected: (1)(5)(R)

(1) runs all times to Flatbush Avenue and replaces the (2) in Brooklyn

(2) terminates at 34th Street-Penn Station all times

(3) normal service except local Chambers-Times Square when running to Brooklyn.

(4) unaffected

(5) runs local 14th Street-Brooklyn Bridge and terminates at BB when not running to Brooklyn.

Select (J)/(Z) trains extended to 95th Street-Brooklyn (R) station (normal (J)/(Z) skip-stop service suspended to accommodate this).

(R) split in the following manner:

Some (R) trains via the Bridge Canal Street-DeKalb Avenue

Other (R) trains terminate at Canal Street.

You're right.

NEXT

(G) To Greenpoint Ave

(J)(Z) Terminate at Canal St using the abandoned tracks

(R) Via the bridge

(1) Via the loop

NEXT

Because of a switch malfunction, no southbound local trains can pass Grand Central (4)(5)(6).

Oh gawd...

(4) trains go via local southbound only.

(5) trains run b/w 149th Street or E.180th Street-Dyre Avenue. Trains going to 149th Street run express and run every 35 minutes.

(6) service is unaffected.

Oh gawd...

(4) trains go via local southbound only.

(5) trains run b/w 149th Street or E.180th Street-Dyre Avenue. Trains going to 149th Street run express and run every 35 minutes.

(6) service is unaffected.

You know what I am known for. Check the Quote below for red highlighting. Then revise your ish accordingly.

NEXT

Because of a switch malfunction, no southbound local trains can pass Grand Central (4)(5)(6).

(5) Some trains via 7 Av Local to Flatbush Av

(6) Some trains 3 Av to Pelham Bay Pkwy while others Express between 42 and 14 St

<6> 3 Av to Pelham Bay Pkwy

NEXT

(5) SOUTHBOUND trains run via the (2) between the Bronx and Brooklyn

(6) SOUTHBOUND trains run express between Grand Central and Union Square

There will only be minor delays ((4)(5) are already pretty much always delayed around there rush hour anyways). And better to run trains with small delays than to have them terminate in the middle of nowhere, thus delaying commuters' trips by even more and causing great inconvenience.