MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Direct swap for CS and Flatbush. This here makes sense. I believe this what we spoke about a while back and now I see what you mean in regards to maintenance aspect.  

Since most of the New Flyer parts are in Brooklyn/Queens and the LFS/LFSA parts are in the Bronx this totally makes sense. 

Ok I was able to confirm prelim LFS assignments for Bronx, SI and QV. Still waiting on the details. 

Also was able to confirm they want to leave the Xcelsiors at CS, however they are now planning to definitely replace the LFS's at Flatbush.

Still no word on where they will go once they are unwrapped. As of now JA is keeping their new Xcelsiors and this will begin the inevitably that I mentioned of some depots winding up with mixed fleets of LFS' and X's. 

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

5468 is in service on the Bx12 SBS.

Right on schedule! 

Edited by East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/3/2011 at 10:03 PM, East New York said:

(MTA) Bus Operations is the surface transit division of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (New York), created in 2008 to consolidate all bus operations operated by the MTA. The  fleet consists of more than 5,900 buses of various types and models for fixed-route service, providing service in New York City, the western edge of Nassau County and the city of Yonkers. Bus Operations is not currently publicly used as a brand.

The NYC Transit Forums Fleet & Depots home page is updated on a regular basis, and serves and the main information page for Department of Buses operations.  

(MTA) Bus Operations is currently in the process of merging it's branding, operations, radio and farebox systems. The combined branding has been introduced, and will continue will all new buses which will share a common unified MTA New York City Transit & Bus brand and that no longer sports NYC Bus or MTA Bus titles.

The current public brands are (MTA) New York City Bus, (MTA) Bus, and merged ops branding is simply (MTA) .

MTA Bus Company headquarters and command will also be merged with that NYC Bus and moved to the all new state-of-the-art Bus Command Center at East New York Surface Transit Headquarters. (See more details at the bottom of this title post)

Official (MTA) website

The TTMG Insiders Guide (Fleet and Depot Roster) is a comprehensive depot-by-depot fleet roster is the maintained by MTA employees, and is 100% accurate at the time of posting update (save any typos or human error). Public updates are released on a regular basis. Please remember that buses are transferred, loaned, and borrowed on an as needed basis. Reference the MTA Bus Moves & Transfers Thread for daily updates, and interim fleet information.

Official MTA Fleet roster at TTMG

Last Fleet & Depot Update 2/11/18

** Note title page is currently under ongoing re-construction to provide users with with more informative information in as little space as possible, while creating a fresh new look and feel that is much more attractive give that what we have here now. 

Local & Express Bus Fleets

Current & Future Procurement 2017-2019, for bus deliveries through 2010

Section 1.)  Awards, Pending ordes, and delivery progress.

10 Standard Electric Buses NYCT leased through December 2020 for test and evaluation purposes. (Currently testing)

-5 New Flyer XE40 Standard Electric Bises

-5 Proterra BE40 Standard Electric Buses

139 New Flyer XD60 Articulated Buses NYCT/MTAB (Awarded - Delivery in progress)

138 New Flyer XN40 Standard CNG Buses NYCT (Delivery Compete)

92 NovaBus LFSA Articulated Buses NYCT (Delivery in progress)

110 New Flyer XN60 CNG Articulated Buses NYCT (Awarded - Pilot Testing underway)

643 Standard 40 foot Bus options (618 for NYCT, 25 new for MTAB ) buses NYCT/MTAB (Excercised split award - New Flyer pilot testing in progress, and Nova pilot delivery scheduled for summer 2018) 251 LFS options, 377 XD40 options for TA, and 25 XD40 options for MTABC.

10 New Flyer XDE40 Standard Hybrid-Electric Buses NYCT (Pilot Awarded - 5 Allison units, 5 BAE units)Awarded. Test and Evaluation buses scheduled to arrive February and March 2018.

161 New Flyer XD60 Articulated Bus options for NYCT/MTAB (TA options awarded, BC options in negotiation pre-award phase. TA pilot delivery expected spring 2018) 108 options for TA and 53 options for BC.

10 New Flyer XDE60 Articluated Buses for NYCT (to be awarded spring 2018)

72 NovaBus LFSA Articulated Bus options NYCT (Awarded and scheduled to be delivered directly following the base order with no pilot buses being required)

45 Standard 40 foot Zero Emissions Electric Buses for NYCT (to be awarded 2020)

275 Standard 40 XDE40 foot Hybrid-Electric Buses for NYCT (to be awarded 2019)

307 OTR 45 foot Express Buses (257 for MTAB, 50 for NYCT to be awarded 2018/2019)

15 Articulated Zero Emissions Electric buses for Test & Evaluation. To be awarded 2019/2020 (XE60 or BYD60) Note this will be a production order.

******************************************************************************************************************************

The following information comes from "East New York" and "The Real" via MTA Bus Operations.

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Section 2.) New confirmed and projected fleet numbers, delivery depot assignments, and additional fleet details. 

Standard 40 foot electric bus alternative energy Bus Test & Evaluation pilot. 0015-0020 NYCT.

Lease A.) New Flyer XE40 "Xcelsior CHARGE" Standard Electric Low Floor 

0011-0015 (*5) Mike Quill 

Lease B.) Proterra BE40 "Catalyst" Standard Electric Low Floor  

0016-0020 (*5) Grand Avenue 

New Flyer XD60 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Articulated (Delivery in Progress) 

5987-6125 (NYCT)

5987-6029 (43) Casey Stengel

6030-6108 (79) Tuskegee (100th St)

6109-6125 (17) East New York

Projected options for TA(108) and BC(53)

6126-6286 (161) *Unassigned

New Flyer XN40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor CNG (Delivery complete)

673-810 (NYCT)

673-741 (69) West Farms

742-810 (69) Jackie Gleason

NovaBus TL-62102A Low Floor Articulated (Delivery in progress)

5439-5530 (NYCT)

5439-5515 (77) Mike Quill

5516-5530 (15) Gun Hill

Projected options

5531-5602 (72) *Unassigned 

New Flyer XN60 "Xcelsior" Low Floor CNG Articulated (Awarded - Pilot Testing underway)

1000-1109 (NYCT)

1000-1071 (72) West Farms

1072-1109 (38) Jackie Gleason

New Flyer XD40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor (Awarded - Delivery to commence Spring 2018 for NYCT and 2019 for MTA Bus.) Note assignments for buses 7755-7850 are temporary and for the (L) Train Shuttle, and will be eventually reassigned.  

7484-7850 (NYCT)

7484-7544 (61) Jamaica 

7544-7587 (43) Mike Quill

7588-7626 (39) East New York

7627-7646 (20) Fresh Pond

7647-7666 (20) Grand Avenue

7667-7714 (48) Flatbush for B46SBS

7715-7754 (40) Ulmer Park

7755-7762 (8) Jackie Gleason (L) Train

7763-7850 (88) *Unassigned* (L) Train

***This is part of the 643 Standard 40 Foot option order (See above for details)***

7851-7875 (projected 25) MTA Bus

NovaBus TL-40102A Low Floor (Awarded - Delivery to begin late 2018)

8504-8754 (NYCT)

Depot assignments are not confirmed for the LFS order at this time. The unofficial report calls for Bronx, Staten Island, and Queens Divisions. 

***This is part of the 643 Standard 40 Foot option order

New Flyer XDE40 "Xcelsior" Low Floor Diesel-Electric Hybrid (Awarded - 5 Allison units, 5 BAE units) Test and Evaluation buses scheduled to arrive February and March 2018. Note Grand Avenue depot was selected for initial test and evaluation as that depot now serves as Bus Operations Engineering Headquarters.

9500-9509 (10) Grand Avenue

Notice: Dates of award, delivery schedule, depot assignments, fleet numbers and all technical details subject to change without notice. All information will be updated accordingly.

See The Bus Test & Evaluation Program thread for up to date information on all new bus, configuration, and component testing projects for Department of Buses.

Depots (Major Projects Only)

*East New York - Currently in the final construction stage is the brand new state-of-the-art facility for the merged bus operations of NYCTA and MTABC. The new building will be located and constructed at the East New York Bus Depot site, which currently serves as MTA's Surface Transit Operations Headquarters. This facility will feature brand new bus dispatch capabilities which will be merged with MTABC, as all buses across the fleet will have their radios replaced for one common system. This will begin the much awaited official merger of New York City Transit's TA and OA divisions with that of MTA Bus Company. All buses will also have their fare-boxes replaced for units that will be common to both Transit and Bus Co.

In addition to the new command center, ENY depot is currently being modified to house and maintain articulated buses. 

**See current photos of the new command center below. 

*Jackie Gleason - In an ongoing effort to increase capacity along the heaviest used bus lines, Gleason has begun modification for articulated bus operations. As of now, the B35 line is scheduled to be converted to articulated ops in late 2018.

*Jamaica - Construction of the new Jamaica Depot is now in the final phase of planning. These discussions include the finalization of the design, the acquisition site preparation, and the overall logistics of the new depot. The official project completion date is now expected for 2020. The existing depot will be demolished, and a new expanded building will be replaced in the current location along with newly purchased property adjacent to lot in order to facilitate expansion, and articulated bus operations.

Older posts in this thread are subject to removal in order to keep this thread condensed at all times.

34ED6594-B305-4F27-A5E3-8228D5D369AB.jpeg

B987CC5E-079E-4E41-A63D-9901B8187319.jpeg

Last update was my birthday yesterday. So that means the XDEs will then be 9500-9510 (renumbered from 6906-6915) then your predictioned numbered 9510-9784. Thanks for this. I wanna see QV get different bus style vehicles instead of the same thing. Let CS get the Orion 7NXGs/NFXD40s in check. Hoping they arrive by the summer.

13 minutes ago, East New York said:

Ok I was able to confirm prelim LFS assignments for Bronx, SI and QV. Still waiting on the details. 

Also was able to confirm they want to leave the Xcelsiors at CS, however they are now planning to definitely replace the LFS's at Flatbush.

Thank You for the update sir. That was pretty quick for the confirmation. I can only guess time will tell to when FB will receive the XD60's. Would be good if a training bus comes down from CS or Manhattan  

Hopefully the 6126-6286 batch for the next order to FB. Kinda glad they are leaving 5987-6029 alone at CS.  

2 hours ago, East New York said:

I was hoping they took the CS XD60's. I was excited when there was even a mention of taking them and CS getting some LFSA's but then it was confirmed later that they'll stay. Disappointing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Upcoming New Bus Delivery Expectancy Months:

March 2018:

19 Nova LFS Artics (4 to MQ for SBS, 15 to GH for SBS)

1 New Flyer XDE40 (1 to GA)

April 2018:

20 Nova LFS Artics (20 to MQ for SBS)

4 New Flyer XDE40 (4 to GA)

May 2018:

20 Nova LFS Artics (20 to MQ for SBS)

3 New Flyer XN60s (3 to WF for Bx6 SBS)

22 New Flyer XD40s (11 to EN, 11 to FB)

June 2018:

14 Nova LFS Artics (14 to MQ for SBS)

11 New Flyer XN60s (11 to WF for Bx6 SBS)

27 New Flyer XD40s (11 to EN, 15 to FB, 1 to JA)

July 2018:

16 New Flyer XN60s (2 to WF for Bx6 SBS, 14 to JG for B35)

24 New Flyer XD40s (21 to FB, 3 to JA)

August 2018:

17 New Flyer XN60s (13 to WF, 4 to JG for B35)

27 New Flyer XD40s (1 to FB, 8 to FP, 18 to JA)

September 2018:

13 New Flyer XN60s (5 to WF, 8 to JG for B35)

3 New Flyer XDE40 (3 to GA)

15 New Flyer XD40s (4 to FP, 11 to GA)

October 2018:

10 New Flyer XN60s (8 to WF, 2 to JG for B35)

18 New Flyer XD40s (13 to UP, 1 to JG, 4 to MQ)

November 2018:

18 New Flyer XN60s (8 to WF, 10 to JG for B35)

22 New Flyer XD40s (11 to MQ, 7 to JG, 4 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

December 2018:

18 New Flyer XN60s (18 to WF)

20 New Flyer XD40s (6 to MQ, 14 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

January 2019:

3 New Flyer XN60s (3 to WF)

12 New Flyer XD40s (12 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

February 2019:

30 New Flyer XD40s (30 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

March 2019:

33 New Flyer XD40s (5 to JA, 28 to *TBA Depot for L Train Shuttle)

April 2019:

44 New Flyer XD40s (15 to JA, 17 to EN, 12 to UP)

May 2019:

37 New Flyer XD40s (10 to JA, 10 to MQ, 8 to FP, 9 to GA)

June 2019:

27 New Flyer XD40s (9 to JA, 8 to MQ, 10 to UP)

July 2019:

8 New Flyer XD40s (3 to MQ, 5 to UP)

All of the current XD40s in SBS at Flatbush will be replaced with a new batch of XD40s in the new SBS scheme, also EN will get some in the SBS scheme for the B82 SBS.

TBA means TO BE ANNOUNCED, HAS NOT BEEN DECIDED YET! And as with anything MTA, this is current as of now and its subject to change. Any other upcoming deliveries (The 72 addition Nova LFS Artics, the 251 Nova LFS 40-footers and the 131 New Flyer XD60s) are not available yet.

Edited by The Real

Thank you very much! Everyone please take note that the B82+ will start off with 40 footers.

The ones (40's) on the Bx6+ are slowing going to be removed, and will start off with 5 artics. We will then see how capacity is anD the line will be adjusted accordingly.

The LFS update should come within the next couple minutes ntus as production is now said to be acellerated.

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

B82 sbs will start off with 40 footers. Seems like the mta knows how to promise customers a solution to its over crowding but yet supply buses that can’t handle the crowds. 

Why not push the 2013 XD60's down to Brooklyn for the B82 +SBS+ until the next batch of XD60's come in, a 80 displaced D60HF's can cover up for both depots, and have the 2017 XD60's at GH hold up a bit longer.

4 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Why not push the 2013 XD60's down to Brooklyn for the B82 +SBS+ until the next batch of XD60's come in, a 80 displaced D60HF's can cover up for both depots, and have the 2017 XD60's at GH hold up a bit longer.

Very unlikely. SBS needs to be like premium service because it's BRT and the lord of the state would likely not accept older buses.

8 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

They want all sbs to have new buses. The XD60s are still new and they were supposed to send the XD60s to ENY depot after the M train construction. 

I know things change constantly but I’m very disappointed that the B82 would start off with 40 footers. The presentations were promised to have artics on the route. I think it’s quite unfair how Brooklyn is treated when it comes down to buses. For years we have had over crowded routes and the mta has done nothing to help. They gave artics to the Q532/53 sbs because they had an overcrowded issue. Manhattan sbs are artics even though their ridership has fallen dramatically. But Brooklyn? We have to deal with the crowded buses, being uncomfortable and bus bunching.

I can only imaging they send those buses on the sbs in twos or threes along with the local on the narrow part of kings hwy causing more congestion. 

I shouldn’t even be complaining because who knows what would happen? I’m just sort of disappointed. 

19 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

They want all sbs to have new buses. The XD60s are still new and they were supposed to send the XD60s to ENY depot after the M train construction. 

I know things change constantly but I’m very disappointed that the B82 would start off with 40 footers. The presentations were promised to have artics on the route. I think it’s quite unfair how Brooklyn is treated when it comes down to buses. For years we have had over crowded routes and the mta has done nothing to help. They gave artics to the Q532/53 sbs because they had an overcrowded issue. Manhattan sbs are artics even though their ridership has fallen dramatically. But Brooklyn? We have to deal with the crowded buses, being uncomfortable and bus bunching.

I can only imaging they send those buses on the sbs in twos or threes along with the local on the narrow part of kings hwy causing more congestion. 

I shouldn’t even be complaining because who knows what would happen? I’m just sort of disappointed. 

1. The M shuttle work isn't done yet, its still going on

2. The buses could come from anywhere 

3. Manhattan SBS routes were artic pre SBS. 

2 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Also are they still ginna convert b46 sbs to artic?

The artic can manage on the 46..... it has proven  when the M shuttle tour 3 “flushing bound to Metro” was out of both FB and JG depot, we use to run off with the artic on utica ave through Malcom X blvd and turn left on dekalb to get to Flushing Broadway. When the day was over the run off back to the depot was broadway to Malcomb X blvd, turn right into malcom x blvd and ho on from there.  Based on my experience running the artic down the 46 route is no big deal. All they would have to do is modify the right turn after Malcomb X Blvd to Broadway for the turn around.

The real political issues is, would FB agree to use artic on the sbs46 which then it will cut a lot of runs and that depot cant afford run cut backs at the moment?.............

8 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Let’s not forget that FB received brand new LFS artics for the B44SBS and JG is slated to get XN60s for the B35.

8 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

They could come from anywhere but why start off a new route that was promised to be artic with 40 footers? I mean don’t they care about the overcrowding on that route? If they are going to upgrade it to artics then how long from then? Why should customers have to deal with as long as the mta seems it fit? 

37 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

They could come from anywhere but why start off a new route that was promised to be artic with 40 footers? I mean don’t they care about the overcrowding on that route? If they are going to upgrade it to artics then how long from then? Why should customers have to deal with as long as the mta seems it fit? 

I'd argue that once SBS starts you will see a similar thing happen to the B82 as the B46. I would've said the same thing about the B46 until SBS started and all of a sudden you got like 7 SBS buses (not kidding) to one or two locals. 

11 hours ago, East New York said:

Thank you very much! Everyone please take note that the B82+ will start off with 40 footers.

The ones (40's) on the Bx6+ are slowing going to be removed, and will start off with 5 artics. We will then see how capacity is anD the line will be adjusted accordingly.

The LFS update should come within the next couple minutes ntus as production is now said to be acellerated.

For the B82 SBS, where will the 40 foot buses for the service come from? Will they be new buses (which would be diverted from the Jamaica Bus Depot allotment (like what happened with the XD60s that we’re supposed to go to Manhattan and Brooklyn, or will 20 XD40’s (7090-7109) from the 50 XD40 buses EN have be wrapped in the SBS scheme, like the B46 SBS? Where would the XD60’s assigned to the M train shuttle go once the work finished on April 30th, 2018?

9 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

1.) Last i recalled, the M Shuttle work would need in April 30th, 2018. By this service would be restored and the buses would be displaced from Grand Avenue.

2.) I wonder if those buses may come from ENY Depot’s existing fleet. That depot has 50 XD40’s lying around the depot, so it could be possible that they could wrap around 20 buses for the service, leaving 30 for the other routes.

3.) Will the SBS XD60’s at Quill be displaced once all 77 SBS LFSA’s are in service there?

18 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

I already posted about this. All those plans were changed because MTA wants all new buses in the new scheme on SBS routes. That means the priority has shifted to such. And once again, the ONLY new XD60's that are at their planned assignments are at Stengel and Tuskegee. ALL the other ones are on loan.

17 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

So that begs the question would the same thing happen to the B82 sbs? 

9 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

What the heck is the big deal? First off, no one promised anything. Second off, no one ever said (not myself, The Real or MTA) what buses would start on the line. We all stated several times however that the route would eventually be converted to artic ops. So why don't you take out the time to go through all the information in the bus threads. You are asking way too many questions that we aren't really obligated to answer. You wouldn't know any of this if it wasn't for us. You are not privy to any of this information until MTA puts it in black and white for the public. 

To date, all standard lines converted to SBS either started with 40 footers, or were converted to artic ops just prior to implementation of the service. So the MTA has made a decision and it is what it is. 

MTA does not work your time schedule. When they get around to converting the line to artic, they will. Right now buses are on loan as you should know. When the new assignments come out they will go to the B82+ 

In the meanwhile, please stop asking so many frivolous questions that we aren't obligated to answer anyway. 

This is one of the main reasons we rarely post year-in-advance information like we once used there at NYCTF. 

You all have gotten so comfortable that you think you are entitled to this information. Then you ask questions to which the answers can be found all over the forum. 

16 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Also are they still ginna convert b46 sbs to artic?

There was never any plans to convert that line to artic. It was always under evaluation, and still is. In the meanwhile it's not going artic anytime soon. You have personally asked about this before. 🙄

Edited by East New York