MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

7 hours ago, JoshTheScrub said:

In the Staten Island Division between Yukon, Castleton,  & Charleston, 304 buses are OOS in need of repair, and are routinely failing to make it out of the depot.
https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/in-the-news/2024/jessica-scarcella-spanton/officials-claim-hundreds-mta-buses-disrepair

Sheesh, how did it get so bad like this? Seems like every borough has been hit hard with OOS buses. 

Is it a lack of funding, a lack of mechanics, part shortages? No lie hearing stuff like this makes me wish I had a car because it’s going to be brutal standing outside waiting double or triple the time for a bus to show up in the middle of winter. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Sheesh, how did it get so bad like this? Seems like every borough has been hit hard with OOS buses. 

Is it a lack of funding, a lack of mechanics, part shortages? No lie hearing stuff like this makes me wish I had a car because it’s going to be brutal standing outside waiting double or triple the time for a bus to show up in the middle of winter. 

Whatever happened to those buses that they purchased from NJT they still haven’t made there debut yet

12 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Staten Island maintainers have a historical reputation of refusing to work while on straight time. ("You're paying me just to sit here. If you want me to actually look at a bus, wait until I'm on overtime.")

On 9/7/2024 at 8:04 AM, Gotham Bus Co said:

Staten Island maintainers have a historical reputation of refusing to work while on straight time. ("You're paying me just to sit here. If you want me to actually look at a bus, wait until I'm on overtime.")

They should all be fired! Not for nothing but there are plenty of people out there including myself looking for better jobs. People are searching and searching getting turned down while you got dudes just sitting on their behinds getting paid. So to know that you have people purposely sabotaging service for some extra money is just straight up infuriating. I heard it’s the same case at 100th street depot as well which is disgusting. You got drivers playing games on the road causing gaps in service while people have to deal with showing up to work, school and etc late. I just mentioned on here not too long ago about the Q25 bunching in threes at 7:30am on a Saturday morning for what reason?
I understand inflation is bad and the cost of things have went up but still you can’t just milk the clock like that and make riders suffer like that. Sounds like the MTA needs to clean house. As always I thank all the ones who are doing their jobs, it’s the bad ones that make it worst for everyone. 

The 2025-29 capital plan has been released, so let me break it down piece by piece to figure out what will exactly be replaced or ordered within the next 5 years:

-155 CNG buses: this was actually funded through the 2020-24 plan. It is unclear when production will start, but this is expected to be awarded for NYCT. Any corrections from insiders regarding this order is welcome. 

-Electric/zero emissions buses: it is expected that there will be 1035 electric buses for NYCT by the end of 2029, 500 that will be funded in this plan. This should include the current 75 Xcelsiors in the system as well as the 10 buses from Nova Bus/MCI and the future 470 AEB orders which should total up to 555 buses. Adding the 2 totals from both plans is 1055, so lets get rid of the 25 AEBs for MTA bus and add the 5 Solaris NaE40 buses, that would equal the 1035 buses needed to make this prediction accurate.

-Other orders for NYCT: this includes 855 Standard Buses, 556 Articulated Buses, 350 Express Buses. In total, including the above orders, 2,261 new buses will be produced. I'm not including any buses that are expected to be delivered in this time period including the 92 CRTs and 224 XD60s. There will be no hybrid buses in this order. The final HEV buses for us are the 9000's. 485 Hybrid buses are expected to survive by the end of 2029, which means 9500-9509 are expected to be replaced around then. Based on this, it looks like most pre-2017 orders will retire by 2029.

-MTA bus orders: there will be 153 Standard buses and 90 articulated buses. This will replace the XD40/60s from between 2014-17 (the 13 oddball buses in LGA are expected to go back to NYCT, they will be able to spend at least a couple more years in service before being retired sometime in the 2030s). As you may notice, only 45 XD40s are in MTA Bus eligible for replacement, which predicts that MTA bus will continue to get hand me downs to retain reliable service.

Any corrections or anything else I missed that needs to be pointed out, don't hesitate to add on.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

11 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

The 2025-29 capital plan has been released, so let me break it down piece by piece to figure out what will exactly be replaced or ordered within the next 5 years:

-155 CNG buses: this was actually funded through the 2020-24 plan. It is unclear when production will start, but this is expected to be awarded for NYCT. Any corrections from insiders regarding this order is welcome. 

-Electric/zero emissions buses: it is expected that there will be 1035 electric buses for NYCT by the end of 2029, 500 that will be funded in this plan. This should include the current 75 Xcelsiors in the system as well as the 10 buses from Nova Bus/MCI and the future 470 AEB orders which should total up to 555 buses. Adding the 2 totals from both plans is 1055, so lets get rid of the 25 AEBs for MTA bus and add the 5 Solaris NaE40 buses, that would equal the 1035 buses needed to make this prediction accurate.

-Other orders for NYCT: this includes 855 Standard Buses, 556 Articulated Buses, 350 Express Buses. In total, including the above orders, 2,261 new buses will be produced. I'm not including any buses that are expected to be delivered in this time period including the 92 CRTs and 224 XD40s. There will be no hybrid buses in this order. The final HEV buses for us are the 9000's. 485 Hybrid buses are expected to survive by the end of 2029, which means 9500-9509 are expected to be replaced around then.

-MTA bus orders: there will be 153 Standard buses and 90 articulated buses. This will replace the XD40/60s from between 2014-17 (the 13 oddball buses in LGA are expected to go back to NYCT, they will be able to spend at least a couple more years in service before being retired sometime in the 2030s). As you may notice, only 45 XD40s are in MTA Bus eligible for replacement, which predicts that MTA bus will continue to get hand me downs to retain reliable service.

Any corrections or anything else I missed that needs to be pointed out, don't hesitate to add on.

Unfortunately, none of this is really new information.

The 155 CNG bus order became one of the things being held hostage due to the congestion pricing pause.

The electrics, seems like they reduced the overall number of electrics they initially wanted by about 500 buses....they initially wanted 1,560 electrics by the end 2029, then reduced that to around 1,300, and now 1,035....that number will drop more.

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I’m curious whats going to replace those MTA Bus MCI’s. Unless we’re getting NYCT hand me downs? 

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Is there? Unless Volvo decided to reverse course, I'd have to press (X) on that one...

It was already confirmed that Bus Co is getting more Prevosts to replace the remaining MCI's. The (MTA) is paying out of pocket to get the buses which will be made in Canada.

25 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

It was already confirmed that Bus Co is getting more Prevosts to replace the remaining MCI's. The (MTA) is paying out of pocket to get the buses which will be made in Canada.

Okay. I'm not so sure that's the best path forward under current circumstances, but if they've already decided on that, well, I hope Volvo treats the MTA with extra respect.

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

Speaking of MCIs being replaced, is NYCT getting extra Prevosts to remove the 4 CTs that's still out of Castleton Depot? As well as Spring Creek Depot's 2200 CTs.  

Maybe they’ll press those ex-NJT buses into service as the CT replacements, they definitely aren’t going to go through the hassle of refurbishing them to just throw them away due to Hochul pausing congestion pricing. 

17 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

-Other orders for NYCT: this includes 855 Standard Buses, 556 Articulated Buses, 350 Express Buses. In total, including the above orders, 2,261 new buses will be produced. I'm not including any buses that are expected to be delivered in this time period including the 92 CRTs and 224 XD60s. There will be no hybrid buses in this order. The final HEV buses for us are the 9000's. 485 Hybrid buses are expected to survive by the end of 2029, which means 9500-9509 are expected to be replaced around then. Based on this, it looks like most pre-2017 orders will retire by 2029.

Are those 153 standard buses suppose to be the replacements for the C40LF’s at SC and CP? 
I know it says it will replace the XD40s but every other MTA Bus depot has new buses at this point and most of the C40LF’s are at retirement age. 

Another thing I’m curious about is JFK has around 126 Novas with 29 more Orions to replace but are they still expected to get 179 Novabuses? That would mean they would get 24 extra buses but CP is still borrowing buses. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

31 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Are those 153 standard buses suppose to be the replacements for the C40LF’s at SC and CP? 
I know it says it will replace the XD40s but every other MTA Bus depot has new buses at this point and most of the C40LF’s are at retirement age. 

Another thing I’m curious about is JFK has around 126 Novas with 29 more Orions to replace but are they still expected to get 179 Novabuses? That would mean they would get 24 extra buses but CP is still borrowing buses. 

153 is too small to replace all the CNG, but you're right I did skip over it. Unless this order is done around 2026 I doubt that it's gonna replace anything at any CNG Depot. 

153 buses is barely more than 2/3 of the 220 buses needed to replace all the C40s in MTA Bus, so even if the 2015 XD40s stay until the 2030's there still needs to be hand me downs in order to keep reliable service.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain