MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

I'm not sure if this is confirmed, but Grand Avenue just updated their label. z6na4HS.jpg

I wouldn't mind this if it was the same kind of illustration as the classic NYCT depot stickers like ENY, Amsterdam, Flatbush and Kingsbridge (incidentally I almost typed "the classic NYCT depot stickers from the 90's" ; do we actually know when depot stickers were first created?)

This one looks too much like the clip arty style of illustration the MTA Bus stickers have and it just doesn't look right

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

I wouldn't mind this if it was the same kind of illustration as the classic NYCT depot stickers like ENY, Amsterdam, Flatbush and Kingsbridge (incidentally I almost typed "the classic NYCT depot stickers from the 90's" ; do we actually know when depot stickers were first created?)

This one looks too much like the clip arty style of illustration the MTA Bus stickers have and it just doesn't look right

I admit it looks out of line. I know the latest depot to have an updated sticker would be 100th street in 2012, in which it was renamed to Tuskegee Airmen. 

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

You left off Stengel

I know this question was answered before somewhere but why are a lot of the NG’s being retired so fast? I know they are all at retirement age technically since they are 12 and older but we still have even older Orion VII OG’s still in service.

Does it have something to do with their batteries or were they just poor in quality from the start? 

Just now, RSMG106 said:

At the time, I was in the unit, and I told the operator about why it it sounded different. He told me that it was at the Cummins service station, and its transmission was replaced. 

That doesn't necessarily mean it has a ZF. It probably got a new Allison.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I know this question was answered before somewhere but why are a lot of the NG’s being retired so fast? I know they are all at retirement age technically since they are 12 and older but we still have even older Orion VII OG’s still in service.

Does it have something to do with their batteries or were they just poor in quality from the start? 

The worst of the bunch are getting retired. With the new XDEs and LFS Hybrids coming in, they'll push the remaining good ones over to MTA Bus to retire the OGs, and scrap the worst ones. The 3800s-3900s left over will likely be retired asap because of the batteries.

Edited by Cait Sith

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

From what I read on here it's a combination of low MDBF, electrical and suspension issues that's causing the early demise of all these NG Hybrids. 

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

At the time, I was in the unit, and I told the operator about why it it sounded different. He told me that it was at the Cummins service station, and its transmission was replaced. 

There has been random ENY XD40s that sounded odd in the interior recently, I just chalked it up as the B/O having the bus shifted into an different gear.

The B/Os even know the difference between Allsion and ZF transmissions? Like at depots that operate buses with both (Like JG and WF for example) do they even know the C40s and XN40 have different transmissions but the same engine. I always got the feeling that if it's not relevant to their job title, B/Os don't care about that type of stuff. Seems more like an concern for the mechanics.

3 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

It could be that it sounded kind of different. I thought it would be ZF, but Allison had a similar sounding transmission.

I can confirm that it has a new Allison. Just heard it pass by me on the Q44.

Edited by Cait Sith

13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The B/Os even know the difference between Allison and ZF transmissions? Like at depots that operate buses with both (Like JG and WF for example) do they even know the C40s and XN40 have different transmissions but the same engine. I always got the feeling that if it's not relevant to their job title, B/Os don't care about that type of stuff. Seems more like an concern for the mechanics.

Some of us do move from operating buses to mechanics or maintenance, so it can be useful to learn about these things in advance. Not to mention, after you’ve been operating buses for at least five years and above, you get used to what their engines sound like, how they run in any condition, etc. While it may not be part of our title, it is useful to know the kind of bus we’re operating. 

Edited by S78 via Hylan

This is not an article from The Onion, lol......

The MTA’s $1.1 billion plans to buy 500 new electric buses could be derailed unless New York state’s utility regulator cuts the authority slack on its electric bill, transit officials warned.

Gov. Kathy Hochul and her appointed MTA leadership have touted ambitious plans to convert the entire fleet of 5,800 to electric power, beginning with the new purchase. But powering just the existing 15 electric buses currently costs two to three times diesel or natural gas, officials wrote in Dec. 6. comments submitted to the state Public Service Commission (PSC).

State law signed by Hochul last year required the PSC to reduce the impact of peak “demand charges” on large-scale electric vehicle (EV) charging operators like the MTA. The commission has until Dec. 31 to come to a decision on how big of a discount to give.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/25/high-utility-charges-could-derail-ny-electric-bus-transition/

Edited by trainfan22

• 2 weeks later...