MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

54 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Regarding the SBS fleet, might it make more sense to move the B82 Select to Flatbush? With the replacement of all of the bridges between Exits 14 and 9, buses should be able to use the Belt Parkway to deadhead. Even capped at 40 mph, I would suspect that it would be a shorter deadhead to Flatbush Depot, and more importantly, the pooling of the fleet could mean needing only one batch for the B44, B46, and B82 SBS combined. If room is needed, the B46 Local could be split with Grand Avenue, which could probably handle more buses without needing to move another route.

In the Bronx, the Bx41 was moved to Gun Hill for a similar reason (multiple SBS from one garage)---and in Manhattan, all of the SBS routes except for the M15 (using the same fleet since it started) are assigned to Quill. (The Bx6, being in the southern Bronx, could not be so easily moved except perhaps to Mother Hale, but since the Bx6 uses primarily CNG artics, what newer diesel artics could be swapped for the Bx6, especially since there doesn't appear to be any obvious choice to replace the M15 SBS fleet?)

Returning to the Belt Parkway, Spring Creek Depot could also use the Belt Parkway to deadhead for the B100, BM3, and BM4, and JFK could use the Belt Parkway for a Q8 deadhead.

As for the Bronx, I have to wonder if it would be smarter to move the Bx39 to West Farms (less complex deadhead to and from Kingsbridge) and split the Bx36 between West Farms and Kingsbridge. For the Bx39, driver changes could be done at Tremont Avenue, which is just down the street from the garage, and southbound final trips could terminate at Morris Park Avenue, with at least some runs starting from Morris Park Avenue as well.

If a B15 SBS happens it will make even less sense to move the 82 SBS besides the fact that the route is nowhere near flatbush depot..

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

The B82 is nowhere near Flatbush depot. The B82 can go to Ulmer Park but it’s not arctic ready 

By actual distance, you're right. But by time traveled, if the Belt Parkway can be used, that's about the same amount of time. at 40 mph compared to Pennsylvania Avenue at 25 mph. It would be about 7-8 minutes on the Belt Parkway and another 6 minutes on southern Flatbush Avenue. The B44 from Sheepshead Bay could also use the same deadhead route instead of being on city streets (for trips not originating from Avenue U).

3 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Regarding the SBS fleet, might it make more sense to move the B82 Select to Flatbush? With the replacement of all of the bridges between Exits 14 and 9, buses should be able to use the Belt Parkway to deadhead. Even capped at 40 mph, I would suspect that it would be a shorter deadhead to Flatbush Depot, and more importantly, the pooling of the fleet could mean needing only one batch for the B44, B46, and B82 SBS combined. If room is needed, the B46 Local could be split with Grand Avenue, which could probably handle more buses without needing to move another route.

In the Bronx, the Bx41 was moved to Gun Hill for a similar reason (multiple SBS from one garage)---and in Manhattan, all of the SBS routes except for the M15 (using the same fleet since it started) are assigned to Quill. (The Bx6, being in the southern Bronx, could not be so easily moved except perhaps to Mother Hale, but since the Bx6 uses primarily CNG artics, what newer diesel artics could be swapped for the Bx6, especially since there doesn't appear to be any obvious choice to replace the M15 SBS fleet?)

Returning to the Belt Parkway, Spring Creek Depot could also use the Belt Parkway to deadhead for the B100, BM3, and BM4, and JFK could use the Belt Parkway for a Q8 deadhead.

As for the Bronx, I have to wonder if it would be smarter to move the Bx39 to West Farms (less complex deadhead to and from Kingsbridge) and split the Bx36 between West Farms and Kingsbridge. For the Bx39, driver changes could be done at Tremont Avenue, which is just down the street from the garage, and southbound final trips could terminate at Morris Park Avenue, with at least some runs starting from Morris Park Avenue as well.

First off. No 46 local is leaving Flatbush for Grand Avenue. No need to split the 46. Flatbush could handle its own between the local and SBS and let’s stop with the splitting of the work between depots. Grand Avenue doesn’t need to be on the other side of Brooklyn doing work. That’s already done by the B47. 

The 82 belongs in East New York and it needs to stay that way. FB doesn’t need to be like Quill to have all of the SBS routes (and this is why the Brooklyn Division is a mess all this spitting of work between depots). 

Right now the TA is not in the business of building new depots and this is why we are in the mess of splitting work to different depots. When you split work among other depots that causes delays (IMO) where as when the work is already being done by the home depot 

7 hours ago, R179 8258 said:

The B82 is nowhere near Flatbush depot. The B82 can go to Ulmer Park but it’s not arctic ready 

That is a great thought. As a wish/fantasy, the B82 used to be at Ulmer Park also(is that right ?) It's destination of Bay 38 of Sheepshead Bay is near the area of Ulmer Park, also integrating the lines of the B6. Just like between GA and FP transfers, I'm assuming UP will take the B82 +SBS to trade for the B6 to ENY Depot. The B6's destination of Rockaway P. was integrating with the B42 & B82(ENY routes) and ending at Livonia/Ashford st. were near areas of ENY depot. So, this is why the B82 could go for UP

4 hours ago, King Transit said:

That is a great thought. As a wish/fantasy, the B82 used to be at Ulmer Park also(is that right ?) It's destination of Bay 38 of Sheepshead Bay is near the area of Ulmer Park, also integrating the lines of the B6. Just like between GA and FP transfers, I'm assuming UP will take the B82 +SBS to trade for the B6 to ENY Depot. The B6's destination of Rockaway P. was integrating with the B42 & B82(ENY routes) and ending at Livonia/Ashford st. were near areas of ENY depot. So, this is why the B82 could go for UP

That’s a good plan extremely good but one can only wish my friend 

14 hours ago, limitednyc said:

the 47 xd60's that are comming this year  will do that by converting the 48 xd40's  from the b46sbs

57 XD60’s are going to FB. And the B46SBS is only going to be partially converted. Mainly during rush period.

14 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Everything with the (MTA) is subject to change. 12-18 months from now those buses 6109-6125 may end up staying in Manhattan and East New York receiving a new batch of XD60's or hopefully XDE60's. MCH and FB artics are on the way since the (L) shuttle is a no-go.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

2018-19 New Flyer XD60 (57) Numbers to be determined for B44+ and B46+

The numbers have been determined for more than a year bro. You need to keep up with the first page. 

@Future ENY OP There are no plans for a new artic order anytime soon other than the 15 XE60’s which are now confirmed for Quill. Numbers pending, but rumor has it they will be 1110-1124. It’s not even possible for EN to get brand new artics by next year. We haven’t even got the option buses. And delivery of those are now about 2-3 weeks from beginning. 

Edited by East New York

3 minutes ago, East New York said:

@Future ENY OP There are no plans for a new artic order anytime soon other than the 15 XE60’s which are now co formed for Quill. Numbers pending, but rumor has it they will be 1110-1124. It’s not even possible for EN to get brand new artics by next year. We haven’t even got the option buses. And delivery of those are now about 2-3 weeks from beginning. 

That is a copy good sir. To my guess and assumption that the XDE order is a no-go right now.

Yikes, that's a shocker right there. So were talking at least 24 mos from now EN could be artic ready?

12 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Regarding the SBS fleet, might it make more sense to move the B82 Select to Flatbush?

i mean, TECHNICALLY pull ins & pull outs could be done via a Flatbush Avenue - Kings Hwy short-sign (and reliefs at the same intersection.. the B7 for many years did both at that intersection when it ran out of FB) yet i truly don't ever forsee DOB basically chopping the 82SBS (or even the local 82 for that matter) in half at Flatbush avenue. Flatbush for sure would lose the B2 & B31 without a doubt. 

16 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i mean, TECHNICALLY pull ins & pull outs could be done via a Flatbush Avenue - Kings Hwy short-sign (and reliefs at the same intersection.. the B7 for many years did both at that intersection when it ran out of FB) yet i truly don't ever forsee DOB basically chopping the 82SBS (or even the local 82 for that matter) in half at Flatbush avenue. Flatbush for sure would lose the B2 & B31 without a doubt. 

Don't like the idea at all. We don't need the TA to pull a MaBSOTA for FB to have all the SBS routes than the Brooklyn Division will be a total mess times 10.

Leave ENY with the B82 SBS and Local and besides ENY has more pull than FB (political wise in Brooklyn Division)

30 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

That’s just doing waaay too much tho my man. That doesn’t make sense logistically. The 6 and 82+ however need to and should be split out of EN and UP. 

44 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

That is a copy good sir. To my guess and assumption that the XDE order is a no-go right now.

Yikes, that's a shocker right there. So were talking at least 24 mos from now EN could be artic ready?

That was a typo. XE60’s are now confirmed for Quill. ENY for the most part is already artic ready, however the inside of the depot is being redesigned a bit to accommodate them and won’t be ready till next summer. 

4 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Don't like the idea at all. We don't need the TA to pull a MaBSOTA for FB to have all the SBS routes than the Brooklyn Division will be a total mess times 10.

Leave ENY with the B82 SBS and Local and besides ENY has more pull than FB (political wise in Brooklyn Division)

agreed. as i stated, I'm very certain that DOB would NEVER go for a Flatbush B82, and as much of a mess as Brooklyn Division already us, THIS would only worsen the issue. 

3 hours ago, East New York said:

That’s just doing waaay too much tho my man. That doesn’t make sense logistically. The 6 and 82+ however need to and should be split out of EN and UP. 

agreed 100%.please don't misunderstand me, a Flatbush 82 will NEVER make sense (I'm a Flatbush legacy, and even i know it makes no logistical sense) all i was attempting to do was highlight a hypothetical. re: the B6 & 82... having worked at both yards, I've NEVER understood how at minimum, the 82 split between UP & ENY never survived to the current day. as far as both depots are concerned, believe it or not, there always seemed to be some sort of animosity between UP & ENY (particularly in the crew rooms, when i stated I worked at one depot in the other and vice-versa... and for the record, any UP SLD that has ever been at the Cropsey/Ulmer Park post have been notorious for NOT assisting ENY B/O's that were late on the 82... but i digress) both yards are very territorial regarding the B6 & 82, and i highly doubt that translates to a management/general supt/AGM level, but i truly doubt UP would to surrender any amount of the 120+ runs on the 6 to ENY, as much as it would make sense. regardless, in the interest of not beating a dead horse, alot of changes need to be made in Brooklyn Division as a whole. everyone rails on about the North Brooklyn/Grand Avenue/Fresh Pond situation, yet South Brooklyn isn't fairing all that well, either. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

2 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

agreed 100%. please don't misunderstand me, a Flatbush 82 will NEVER make sense (I'm a Flatbush legacy, and even i know it makes no logistical sense) all i was attempting to do was highlight a hypothetical. re: the B6 & 82... having worked at both yards, I've NEVER understood how at minimum, the 82 split between UP & ENY never survived to the current day. as far as both depots are concerned, believe it or not, there always seemed to be some sort of animosity between UP & ENY (particularly in the crew rooms, when i stated I worked at one depot in the other and vice-versa... and for the record, any UP SLD that has ever been at the Cropsey/Ulmer Park post have been notorious for NOT assisting ENY B/O's that were late on the 82... but i digress) both yards are very territorial regarding the B6 & 82, and i highly doubt that translates to a management/general supt/AGM level, but i truly doubt UP would to surrender any amount of the 120+ runs on the 6 to ENY, as much as it would make sense. regardless, in the interest of not beating a dead horse, alot of changes need to be made in Brooklyn Division as a whole. everyone rails on about the North Brooklyn/Grand Avenue/Fresh Pond situation, yet South Brooklyn isn't fairing all that well, either. 

First off: The 6 and 82 poses unique situations. Ulmer Park will NOT give up 120+ routes for a split or overall take over of the 6. and for East New York with the 82. I believe both ENY and UP have clout in the division so things like this could go either way. (It all comes down to territory)  ENY central location is on the north side of the division. However, operating south Brooklyn routes with exception of the Q24/56/B83/B84 (North Brooklyn). In one post sometime last week or 2 weeks ago a fantasy re-alignment of the Brooklyn Division could help both north and south Brooklyn. However, with some of those routes depots would have to make more room, possibly build annexes or store buses in other depots in order for those moves to happen.  (TA is not in the business to build new depots especially in Brooklyn. Tons of missed Real Estate opportunities in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island meanwhile more luxury apartments are being built. That's another post for another day.)

Now, I've always said that the BK Division is the most complicated division. There are routes that totally make sense and belong in said depots. However, there are others that are toss ups and lastly, there are others that completely have no place in said depots. With that said,  I'm going to slightly echo what @B35 via Church said yesterday. We need to be careful what we ask for.  Don't be surprised if DOB pulls a fast one on all of us here and start to loosen control between East New York and Ulmer Park and both crew rooms will suffer with a possible split or actual swap of the lines. Similar to what happen with the current Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue fiasco with the B38 and Q58 with GA getting full control of both routes. I get it and understand Fresh Pond is not artic ready and that's why both routes had to leave.

Slightly off topic: It feels so weird to see a Fresh Pond bus in Canarsie where as the 60 belongs home at East New York. I wonder how that Q54/B60 interline is doing?

21 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The MQ SBS fleet requires nearly 110 articulated buses. 17 XD60s, plus 77 of the new LFSAs will not be enough to cover service for the MQ SBS routes once the XD60s leave MQ for OH. The final assignments for MQ SBS should be as follows:

5439-5467 (29)

5483-5530 (48)

5567-5602 (36)

Total: 113

So no, they will not stay in Manhattan.

17 buses would be enough to cover the needs of the B82+ so they may get those buses. Some of the other SBS routes may need more buses.

Those are staying in Quill. The ones that’s leaving for OH are those in JFK & LGA. Those was intended for TA depots. 

@Future ENY OP A split of both routes can be done with no changes at all. Grand and EN have the largest depots in the borough. EN could easily take on a bit more work if a split was done. The have 2 annex lots as well.

As far as control, ENY is and likely always will be Surface Transit Headquartes. Especially with the brand new Bus Command Center that was recently built. They have the most pull in the city followed by Quill. They have historically always got what they wanted. The got pics of RTS fleets from the very first buses, and they get pics on current fleets now as well.

Originally EN was gonna get the XDE40’s and a batch of electric buses. However, Grand Avenue is now Bus Engineering Headquarters, so it makes since to have the Electric test buses, and the hybrid pilots operate out of Grand. 

Complete fleet and depot review, along with a first page update coming this afternoon. It was delayed a bit so I could have time to completely review the Electric Artic contract, which will be awarded to New Flyer tomorrow for the XE60. 

2019 Annual Fleet Review and Major Updates. January 21, 2019

*AEB (All-electric bus) Program. As many who have been keeping up may know, MTA is in the process of a transition to all all-electric bus fleet by 2040. In accordance with this effort, The TA leased 10 standard 40 foot electric buses for a 3 year extensive test and evaluation program. The program will soon enter its 3rd and final year of testing. The evaluation will start to wrap up at then end of this year.

Preliminarily, New Flyer is the current front runner of the competition, and has now been approved as a manufacturer of Electric Buses for MTA. This final yes will test further processes and logistics for where future AEB’s will be deployed. Approximately 2 months ago NFI XE40 #0011 made the trip down to the New Flyer Alabama facility for audit preparation services. I have now been able to confirm that 0011 will now serve as the pilot and configuration audit bus for our first ever electric bus order which will be awarded tomorrow, January 22, 2019. By this time next year MTA should be in the secession process for the first 45 standard electric buses.

At this time, the Proterra buses have passed all initial qualification testing with the exception of the Deceleration (Brake) Testing. Proterra is working with TA Grand Av. Engineering for a solution to this issue by the time qualification testing wraps up at the end of the year.

*ABE Articulated Program. 4 Manufacturers were sought out for planning and potential for the future of the articulated fleet, which like its local 40 foot counterparts will all be replaced by electric buses. At the time of acceptance of all proposals or feedback, it was determined that BYD will work to officially enter the Electric Bus Test and Evaluation Program with both 40 foot and 60 foot models in the not too distant future. NovaBus has not completed its electric artic program and cannot provide buses in the near future. Proterra does not offer an articulated model at this time.

****** I would like to officially announce the first ever production electric order for the (MTA) New York City Transit Authority.

Contract #40640 for the manufacture, furnish, and delivery of 15 New Flyer XE60 articulated electric buses 1110-1124.

These articulated electric buses will serve as the first next generation production order. At a price of $1,338,500 each, we are now able to see the prices of electric buses coming down as the demand begins to pick up across North America. 

Now let’s get into the details!

In an effort to accelerate delivery, as well as expand test and evaluation efforts, this order will be very unique, and will not have a pilot bus. As I mentioned a couple months ago, #0011 will serve as a makeshift pilot and configuration audit bus as it is basically the same vehicle with a few changes. 0011 is one at the Alabama facility which is where our buses will be manufactured. The Lead Bus is scheduled for delivery in September, where it will complete 2 months of burn-in testing. At the same time the next couple buses will begin production, and delivery will begin in November. If there needs to be any changes, unlike previous orders MTA and NFI will work to incorporate all of them into the line in order to have all buses delivered by January 2020.

This summer in July, NFI and MTA will install 16 in depot chargers at the Manhattan Division Headquarers, Mike J. Quill depot. The majority of these XE60 buses will operate along the M14 line. A couple of these buses will operate all different types of duty cycles in all 5 boroughs. Yes ladies and gentleman, that means Staten Island as well! MTA will also purchase 1 mobile charging unit to support the buses testing in the outer boroughs, or basically any areas a significant distance away from 42nd Street. 

The current (leased) in-route charging systems at the M42 terminals, will also be able to support charging of the articulated buses if and when needed.

This will be a very extensive and rigorous test program and I will be following this one at every turn. We will have more details tomorrow. Or later this afternoon by the time this actually posts.

Contract #40666 for the manufacture furnish and delivery of 275 Diesel-Electric Hybrid Buses 9510-9784.

MTA will seek board approval for an RFP Authorizing competitive bidding to be impractical, and inappropriate for this upcoming award.

At this time there are 2 qualified manufactures to build hybrid buses for MTA. New Flyer, and NovaBus. To date, MTA deemed the delivery schedule of the Nova offering was not favorable, and the price of each Nova was significantly higher than that of New Flyer, and subsequently awarded them an order for 10 hybrid pilot buses. 

It is now time for MTA to plan the next (outside of MTA Bus company) what may very well be the last hybrid order ever. 

Because this will not be the standard competitive contract, MTA would like to split the award from what I am being told. They will in fact state in the contract that are open to a split and it wil boil down to evaluation criteria, and the Best And Final offer. MTA could also further split this award between hybrid system manufacturing firms, Allison and BAE.

Final design selection will begin immediately when everyone goes back to work this week. Nova could possibly get up to 110 buses out of this order. Exactly 1 year from now MTA plans to award this contract, with delivery to begin Q3 2020.

As of right now, potential deployment for these buses are as follows:

East New York, Flatbush, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Gun Hill, Jamaica, Kingsbridge, Qill, Manhattanville, Hale, Tuskegee, Queensvillage, and Ulmer Park Depots. 

Pending Delivery status of current awards.

LFS Options (8504-8754) - Production delivery is now pending and buses are scheduled to begin arriving in February. All buses are planned for delivery to Kingsbridge, Gun Hill, Queensvillage and Yukon depots.

LFSA Options (5531-5602) - Balance of buses to be delivered to MQ in standard local scheme. The final disposition of the buses may change as the (L) Train status updates.

XD40 Options (7484-7850) - Delivery of this buses is now underway, however the assignments are and have been fly by wire. As of right now, some assignments are permanent, but many are not. 88 of the buses were planned for (L) Train, and as of right now they will have to be reassigned. At this point because of deployment being up in the air, it is possible for West Farms to keep at least 8 of these buses in the future. They currently have 20, and some of these assignments may not be so temporary as we once thought. As this develops this week, we try to shed more light on the situation.

XD60 Options (6126-6233) - Delivery now pending, and I am being told the planned SBS assignments are as folllows.

6126-6176 (51) to Hale

6177-6233 (57) to Flatbush

Express Bus Award for MTA Bus pending May 2019. Details coming soon.

As always, any and all information subject to change without notice.

Edited by East New York

1 hour ago, East New York said:

couple of these buses will operate all different types of duty cycles in all 5 boroughs. Yes ladies and gentleman, that means Staten Island as well!

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that YU will be first, for slightly obvious reasons 😂

17 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I'm going to slightly echo what @B35 via Church said yesterday. We need to be careful what we ask for.  Don't be surprised if DOB pulls a fast one on all of us here and start to loosen control between East New York and Ulmer Park and both crew rooms will suffer with a possible split or actual swap of the lines. Similar to what happen with the current Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue fiasco

that seems to be the general consensus and wisest course of action, my friend. DOB can absolutely turn Brooklyn into Staten Island at the drop of a dime (runs being divided between one or more depots) nothing surprises me at this point in my almost 10 years. and to your point about missed real estate opportunities regarding depot construction: absolutely, 100% spot on. Brooklyn & staten island divisions in particular. 

17 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Slightly off topic: It feels so weird to see a Fresh Pond bus in Canarsie where as the 60 belongs home at East New York

i still get douche chills when i see a Fresh Pond B7 on Kings Hwy... and to a lesser extent, the Grand Avenue B47. I remember the 78 being out of FB (then going to ENY briefly before being combined with the B40... come to think of it, the B7, B8 & B78 all went to ENY the same year... again, i digress) i still can't grasp these Queens-based Brooklyn yards operating this side of Eastern Parkway

1 hour ago, East New York said:

*AEB (All-electric bus) Program. As many who have been keeping up may know, MTA is in the process of a transition to all all-electric bus fleet by 2040. In accordance with this effort, The TA leased 10 standard 40 foot electric buses for a 3 year extensive test and evaluation program. The program will soon enter its 3rd and final year of testing. The evaluation will start to wrap up at then end of this year.

Preliminarily, New Flyer is the current front runner of the competition, and has now been approved as a manufacturer of Electric Buses for MTA. This final yes will test further processes and logistics for where future AEB’s will be deployed. Approximately 2 months ago NFI XE40 #0011 made the trip down to the New Flyer Alabama facility for audit preparation services. I have now been able to confirm that 0011 will now serve as the pilot and configuration audit bus for our first ever electric bus order which will be awarded tomorrow, January 22, 2019. By this time next year MTA should be in the secession process for the first 45 standard electric buses.

At this time, the Proterra buses have passed all initial qualification testing with the exception of the Deceleration (Brake) Testing. Proterra is working with TA Grand Av. Engineering for a solution to this issue by the time qualification testing wraps up at the end of the year.

*ABE Articulated Program. 4 Manufacturers were sought out for planning and potential for the future of the articulated fleet, which like its local 40 foot counterparts will all be replaced by electric buses. At the time of acceptance of all proposals or feedback, it was determined that BYD will work to officially enter the Electric Bus Test and Evaluation Program with both 40 foot and 60 foot models in the not too distant future. NovaBus has not completed its electric artic program and cannot provide buses in the near future. Proterra does not offer an articulated model at this time.

****** I would like to officially announce the first ever production electric order for the (MTA) New York City Transit Authority.

Contract #40640 for the manufacture, furnish, and delivery of 15 New Flyer XE60 articulated electric buses 1110-1124.

These articulated electric buses will serve as the first next generation production order. At a price of $1,338,500 each, we are now able to see the prices of electric buses coming down as the demand begins to pick up across North America. 

Now let’s get into the details!

In an effort to accelerate delivery, as well as expand test and evaluation efforts, this order will be very unique, and will not have a pilot bus. As I mentioned a couple months ago, #0011 will serve as a makeshift pilot and configuration audit bus as it is basically the same vehicle with a few changes. 0011 is one at the Alabama facility which is where our buses will be manufactured. The Lead Bus is scheduled for delivery in September, where it will complete 2 months of burn-in testing. At the same time the next couple buses will begin production, and delivery will begin in November. If there needs to be any changes, unlike previous orders MTA and NFI will work to incorporate all of them into the line in order to have all buses delivered by January 2020.

This summer in July, NFI and MTA will install 16 in depot chargers at the Manhattan Division Headquarers, Mike J. Quill depot. The majority of these XE60 buses will operate along the M14 line. A couple of these buses will operate all different types of duty cycles in all 5 boroughs. Yes ladies and gentleman, that means Staten Island as well! MTA will also purchase 1 mobile charging unit to support the buses testing in the outer boroughs, or basically any areas a significant distance away from 42nd Street. 

The current (leased) in-route charging systems at the M42 terminals, will also be able to support charging of the articulated buses if and when needed.

This will be a very extensive and rigorous test program and I will be following this one at every turn. We will have more details tomorrow. Or later this afternoon by the time this actually posts.

Contract #40666 for the manufacture furnish and delivery of 275 Diesel-Electric Hybrid Buses 9510-9784.

MTA will seek board approval for an RFP Authorizing competitive bidding to be impractical, and inappropriate for this upcoming award.

At this time there are 2 qualified manufactures to build hybrid buses for MTA. New Flyer, and NovaBus. To date, MTA deemed the delivery schedule of the Nova offering was not favorable, and the price of each Nova was significantly higher than that of New Flyer, and subsequently awarded them an order for 10 hybrid pilot buses. 

It is now time for MTA to plan the next (outside of MTA Bus company) what may very well be the last hybrid order ever. 

Because this will not be the standard competitive contract, MTA would like to split the award from what I am being told. They will in fact state in the contract that are open to a split and it wil boil down to evaluation criteria, and the Best And Final offer. MTA could also further split this award between hybrid system manufacturing firms, Allison and BAE.

Final design selection will begin immediately when everyone goes back to work this week. Nova could possibly get up to 110 buses out of this order. Exactly 1 year from now MTA plans to award this contract, with delivery to begin Q3 2020.

As of right now, potential deployment for these buses are as follows:

East New York, Flatbush, Fresh Pond, Grand Avenue, Gun Hill, Jamaica, Kingsbridge, Qill, Manhattanville, Hale, Tuskegee, Queensvillage, and Ulmer Park Depots. 

LFS Options (8504-8754) - Production delivery is now pending and buses are scheduled to begin arriving in February. All buses are planned for delivery to Kingsbridge, Gun Hill, Queensvillage and Gun Hill depots.

LFSA Options (5531-5602) - Balance of buses to be delivered to MQ in standard local scheme. The final disposition of the buses may change as the (L) Train status updates.

XD40 Options (7484-7850) - Delivery of this buses is now underway, however the assignments are and have been fly by wire. As of right now, some assignments are permanent, but many are not. 88 of the buses were planned for (L) Train, and as of right now they will have to be reassigned. At this point because of deployment being up in the air, it is possible for West Farms to keep at least 8 of these buses in the future. They currently have 20, and some of these assignments may not be so temporary as we once thought. As this develops this week, we try to shed more light on the situation.

XD60 Options (6126-6233) - Delivery now pending, and I am being told the planned SBS assignments are as folllows.

6126-6176 (51) to Hale

6177-5233 (57) to Flatbush

Express Bus Award for MTA Bus pending May 2019. Details coming soon.

thank you all your hard work. is there any clarity that can be given as to why the powers that be haven't (or didn't) consider another CNG order to replace the 77xx-78xx Orions, or were 40 foot diesels the plan all along? 

LFS Options (8504-8754) - Production delivery is now pending and buses are scheduled to begin arriving in February. All buses are planned for delivery to Kingsbridge, Gun Hill, Queens village and Yukon depots.

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Wait, so YU isn’t getting LFS anymore?

Your answer on top.

@East New York: This is a great update and thank you for the continuous hard work that you and the staff do to get up to the minute updates.

My only personal issue is with the current 7484-7850 update. When it first came out no where didn't mention West Farms as for original assignment. However, only for the (L) shuttle assignment. Since there is a possibility that the shuttle may not go down WF is eating up part of the order to which most of the buses belong in the Brooklyn Division, Quill and Jamaica. Since I highly doubt for right now for any option order for the XN40's/XN60's (Will that be on the table for the near future b/c of the shortage going on at West Farms?) Delivery is about 97% complete with the XN60's.