BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

That's a great idea! The color of the TBTA and State Trooper cars can match the colors of the bus.

Jokes aside, I think it would help ticket some of the passengers that get a bit fussy with the Eagle Team and they end up walking away with no ticket. My parents bought up this point and I didn't really realize it myself till I saw it. I was on an s/b Q44-SBS and Eagle Team boarded at 20th Avenue, this one guy started yelling "This is f*cking bullshit! I had my ticket". He gets pulled off but some reason he gets back on the bus. One of the Eagle Team guys say "Sir, you can't ride the bus....", then we all wait for him to get off the bus. This took so long that another Q44-SBS ended up bypassing us, skipping inspection lol. Anyways, the guy gets off willingly throwing a temper tantrum and he walks away with no ticket or anything. 

LOL I've wondered how often that happens, since the Eagle idiots have no more power than a store security guard. 

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Ladywolf said:

Random question/thought. 

Why did 1016, the XN60 go to West Farms and not to another borough depot?

My educated guess from me reading from the forum the past two months. 

It’s a cng bus and I believe there’s only a few in the city that are cng. West Farms is planning on becoming all cng in the future so I guess they’re using it as a test because.  They will be replacing all their articulate fleet which are not cng buses with XN60s. So instead of sending the XN60 to Jackie Gleason which is going to have them in the future it’s easier to see how it does at a depot that has routes that are already articulated instead of sending them to depots that don’t have articulated fleets. 

1 hour ago, Ladywolf said:

Random question/thought. 

Unless its another CNG depot, the bus cannot go anywhere else. West Farms is supposed to get the bulk of the XN60s with the rest going to gleason. Its possible that MTA Bus gets some in the future if they have demand (Q25 SBS and B103 off the top my head might make candidates). Gleason has been training with 6110 in the past. 

1 hour ago, Ladywolf said:

Random question/thought. 

There are only four CNG depots...West Farms, College Point, Jackie Gleason, and Spring Creek. The N means CNG-powered articulated buses. That said, CNG or diesel, the B103 could use articulated buses.

7 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

That's a great idea! The color of the TBTA and State Trooper cars can match the colors of the bus.

Jokes aside, I think it would help ticket some of the passengers that get a bit fussy with the Eagle Team and they end up walking away with no ticket. My parents bought up this point and I didn't really realize it myself till I saw it. I was on an s/b Q44-SBS and Eagle Team boarded at 20th Avenue, this one guy started yelling "This is f*cking bullshit! I had my ticket". He gets pulled off but some reason he gets back on the bus. One of the Eagle Team guys say "Sir, you can't ride the bus....", then we all wait for him to get off the bus. This took so long that another Q44-SBS ended up bypassing us, skipping inspection lol. Anyways, the guy gets off willingly throwing a temper tantrum and he walks away with no ticket or anything. 

That is what I was thinking as well. One should have people with at least peace officer status enforcing the rules. Also one has to keep in mind that state troopers have been on a ticket blitz within city limits (although currently, the troopers are rotated in 2 weeks at a time from upstate until a full-scale barracks is established within city limits)...they wrote nearly 16,000 traffic summonses last year. TBTA Police or state troopers would be able to then check to see if these evaders are wanted on something else. The state police is basically under a mandate of zero tolerance.

Edited by aemoreira81
Quoted another post

11 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

That is what I was thinking as well. One should have people with at least peace officer status enforcing the rules. Also one has to keep in mind that state troopers have been on a ticket blitz within city limits (although currently, the troopers are rotated in 2 weeks at a time from upstate until a full-scale barracks is established within city limits)...they wrote nearly 16,000 traffic summonses last year. TBTA Police or state troopers would be able to then check to see if these evaders are wanted on something else. The state police is basically under a mandate of zero tolerance.

Right now state police are looking for barracks in the Bronx. Usually I see them along the Throggs Neck Bridge area on the Bronx/Westchester Bound. 

I believe there's state police barracks out in Long Island. I forget which area. However, those troopers also rotate between Long Island and the city. Also, those troopers I've observed are also seen at JFK. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Right now state police are looking for barracks in the Bronx. Usually I see them along the Throggs Neck Bridge area on the Bronx/Westchester Bound. 

I believe there's state police barracks out in Long Island. I forget which area. However, those troopers also rotate between Long Island and the city. Also, those troopers I've observed are also seen at JFK. 

If the Brooklyn DDSO is ever closed, that property could be partially repurposed as a barracks, and it would be better located with respect to the airports and SBS (with SUNY Maritime as a satellite).

21 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Funny how we're talking about SBS fare enforcement & what not, but on the subway side of things, they're talking about having police abstaining from detaining turnstile jumpers...

Inconsistency or double standard? You be the judge.... LMFAO !!

Speaking of which, coming back from Target last night, I did the short walk back to the QM2 at Parsons and 20th. There was a guy ahead of me who decided to walk as well since no buses were coming. In my case, a QM2 was due and I didn't want to wait for the next one. He gets to the stop before me and I don't see him get a ticket at all. In fact, he didn't even go near the ticket machines. Eventually a Q44 comes and he gets on through the second door, so I said to myself he's just going to get on without paying huh... If I were a betting man, I would say last night would be a good night to pick if you were going to farebeat. It was brutally cold, so I couldn't see any Eagle Teams being out. HOWEVER, they have been out on the M79-SBS pulling people off of the bus, but always at the same stop (Central Park West and West 81st). It wasn't that cold whatever night that was though, but I'm guessing they have nowhere to wait to stay warm, or maybe they hang out in the subway. I do that sometimes if no banks or cafés are around. I mean no point in standing out in the elements if you can relax somewhere warm until a bus is due.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

There are only four CNG depots...West Farms, College Point, Jackie Gleason, and Spring Creek. The N means CNG-powered articulated buses. That said, CNG or diesel, the B103 could use articulated buses.

I don't think bus company has any XN60s on order. The only thing they have are XD60s when it becomes awarded but I don't believe they are going to spring creek for the B103. I don't think the depot is artic ready. 

37 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

So, the new XD40's Jamaica got aren't trackable on Bustime?

It’s still a shocker to me that Jamaica is getting XD40’s considering that they were suppose to be all Nova LFS. But I guess it makes sense from a maintenance standpoint since most of the Queens depots have New Flyers parts already. 

13 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

If the Brooklyn DDSO is ever closed, that property could be partially repurposed as a barracks, and it would be better located with respect to the airports and SBS (with SUNY Maritime as a satellite).

There's been talk in the past to close down the Brooklyn DDSO. However, that's no dice. If (city and state) can't find housing for that population than Brooklyn is off limits for the barracks. What I've noticed as of recently is increased enforcement on the Belt Parkway provided by Highway 2 (Flatlands division). Bronx is more suitable for barracks. Maritime is easy access to the Throggs Neck Bridge.

As for SBS enforcement. Jurisdiction should be for TBTA and State police undercover to blend with crowd. Have cops posted on major intersections and inspect tickets, hold buses for about 10 mins. I was just recently in SFO and they do this alot. Plus, you have the ability to pay for your fare via debit and credit cards by going through the backdoor. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It’s still a shocker to me that Jamaica is getting XD40’s considering that they were suppose to be all Nova LFS. But I guess it makes sense from a maintenance standpoint since most of the Queens depots have New Flyers parts already. 

The idea is now to get the remaining RTS buses retired...as well as knock out the first hybrids.

27 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

The idea is now to get the remaining RTS buses retired...as well as knock out the first hybrids.

Only guess:

Hybrids to Stengel, Brooklyn (except Ulmer Park) or Manhattan.

RTS to Brooklyn than retirement.

3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Now I'm starting to see why for maintenance reasons Brooklyn/Queens*/Manhattan is New Flyer while Manhattan*Bronx and Staten Island is NOVA.

Will it mean that Jamaica, Stengel, MJQ  will both be New Flyer and NOVA in the near future?

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Only guess:

Now I'm starting to see why for maintenance reasons Brooklyn/Queens*/Manhattan is New Flyer while Manhattan*Bronx and Staten Island is NOVA.

Will it mean that Jamaica, Stengel, MJQ  will both be New Flyer and NOVA in the near future?

Stengel will only take 2009-2010 hybrids because there depot is either that or the 2015 New Flyers. I'm hoping to see Nova LFS at Stengel because it feels much more comfortable than the New Flyers.  My guess is that since Jamaica took the New Flyers, Stengel would get a piece of the Nova LFS batch.  I want Nova assignments already LOL. Going back to your question, Im pretty certain Jamaica, Stengel and MJQ will become New Flyer and Nova but only time will tell.

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Only guess:

Actually, with the next orders of LFS rigids and the Cuomo XD40s, the first hybrids (without the gold signs) may be as good as gone.

As for the fleet, I expect a mixed fleet solely because buses can't be built fast enough.

Hybrid 3590 is running around naked out there... seen it running down Flatlands Ave with no mta decals, no depot sticker, no I'D number etc, I only knew it was 3590 because I was on the second floor of an building and saw the number on the roof of the bus.

Had some kind of paper in the windshield but I couldn't read what it said from where I was.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Hybrid 3590 is running around naked out there... seen it running down Flatlands Ave with no mta decals, no depot sticker, no I'D number etc, I only knew it was 3590 because I was on the second floor of an building and saw the number on the roof of the bus.

Had some kind of paper in the windshield but I couldn't read what it said from where I was.

I could only think of one thing. Paint job. Was it heading towards Spring Creek?